thehats

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

400 posts in this topic

Rick's leadership is looking questionable at best. Did he not know he was walking into a trap after the first, second, or third road block? They couldn't have tried to get the Hilltop guy to come to Alexandria?

I know you have to live with some plot holes to believe TWD as a story but they've completely jumped the shark this season with implausible story lines even for a zombie apocalypse.

Too much cynicism!

Look, I agree that the first half was not all that great, though it did have a couple of really great episodes scattered in it.  But the second half was a great build up to Negan, and the finale was very well done, IMO(I know, we disagree here). 

Critics being upset because there was a cliffhanger(shocker!), are being silly(or patently unqualified to be paid for their critiques).  And of course TWD, as ANY show, is going to milk that for all it is worth next season. 

How are they supposed to get the Hilltop guy to come to Alexandria??  Cell phone?  Errr....long strings connecting two tin cans together? 

Where we do agree, completely, is that Glenn surviving by crawling under the dumpster was very, very lame.  The writers should be slapped upon their wrists for that one!  Maybe it was a test to see how the fans would react to him being killed off in order for them to decide who Negan killed.  As for main characters dying off, well, let's certainly hope so.  It's a zombie apocalypse, not a tea party, people should, and need to die off. 

The next season is an opportunity for the series to truly shine.  "All Out War" is the best part of the comics, and hopefully they don't deviate too terribly far from it.  There's some twisted shyte, and I'd like to see it play out.

Too much cynicism!

Look, I agree that the first half was not all that great, though it did have a couple of really great episodes scattered in it. But the second half was a great build up to Negan, and the finale was very well done, IMO(I know, we disagree here).

Critics being upset because there was a cliffhanger(shocker!), are being silly(or patently unqualified to be paid for their critiques). And of course TWD, as ANY show, is going to milk that for all it is worth next season.

How are they supposed to get the Hilltop guy to come to Alexandria?? Cell phone? Errr....long strings connecting two tin cans together?

Where we do agree, completely, is that Glenn surviving by crawling under the dumpster was very, very lame. The writers should be slapped upon their wrists for that one! Maybe it was a test to see how the fans would react to him being killed off in order for them to decide who Negan killed. As for main characters dying off, well, let's certainly hope so. It's a zombie apocalypse, not a tea party, people should, and need to die off.

The next season is an opportunity for the series to truly shine. "All Out War" is the best part of the comics, and hopefully they don't deviate too terribly far from it. There's some twisted shyte, and I'd like to see it play out.

I agree with most of your post.

Especially on the paid critics. It seems like many of them don't very much like TWD.

My biggest problem with the show is that it's on AMC. I think the fact that it's AMC's only hit show really interferes with the way the show is edited and the way the season breaks down episode to episode.

I think a network like FX or even HBO would do TWD more justice but it might not have as huge an audience on those networks.

One thing I like about FX is that they air well produced shows in spite of the ratings. Some of their shows like Fargo and The Americans are extremely well produced and edited despite poor ratings.

Especially on the paid critics. It seems like many of them don't very much like TWD.

This happens whenever anything(show, band, movies) get popular to the point where "everyone is on the bandwagon".  The expectations grow until they outweight what the item ever was to begin with.  A lot of critics tend to try and find fault because they want to go against the grain - in other words, it becomes fashionable to start being negative.  They don't want to be on the bandwagon with everyone else.

I thought the finale was amazing.  I have never been so captivated... but I was also very (make that extremely) emotional.  I know that sounds pretty dumb but the last 15 minutes were so emotional and so anxiety ridden for me that I almost couldn't watch.  It was so emotional for me that I almost threw up when it was over.  Needless to say, I don't do well seeing/watching intense psychological torture--and knowing what is coming.

I couldn't tell you who I think was killed.  I can't watch the ending again.  I could barely make out the audio and I can't keep listening to that either. 

I am a total horror movie fanatic and I love scary shows...I eat them up.  That finale though.  I was so close to walking away and just having my husband tell me what happened.  It was to intense for my head (but I still think it was amazing).

Glen is my favorite character.  He has been since the pilot.  I may not be able to watch the premier until I know what happens, mainly if they show the beating or not (I can't watch that no matter who it turns out to be).    

I was literally sobbing.  I could not deal.

Edited by mockingbird

Geez mock, how did you make it through 'The Grove' episode. Now that was hard to watch.

There are some episodes that I really have a hard time with and the Grove epi was another that I watched through my fingers and holding my breath but the mind **** didn't seem as long as it was during this finale. 

I can deal with violence, blood, disgustingness... but my head, even though I know it's just a show, has a really hard time with that kind of psychological torture.   My oldest son was at home the night my husband and I watched the finale but my son didn't watch it (he waited to watch it with his girl).  He texted me after watching it and told me that he totally understood why I reacted the way I did.  He said he almost couldn't deal and that his girlfriend was sobbing.  He is all analyzing the slowed audio and stuff, but I am really not putting to much stock into the various interpretations. 

IMO, it was whoever was seeing things from the first person shots.  It is one of the four that was held captive in the trailer.  And, in my gut I strongly feel that they followed the comics and Glenn is the one that is killed.  The only one I am positive that wasn't killed is Rosita.  Darryl was too talked up as the one that is killed during the entire season (but did show up on the Talking Dead).  I don't think it is Darryl so that leaves Glenn and Michonne....   

I think that Michonne would be the biggest surprise death though...  

Edited by mockingbird

Jeffery Dean Morgan did do a good job of making Negan look like a cool and collected psychopath but halfway through his speech about how one of them was going to die I had already figured out that they were running out the clock and that we wouldn't know who he picked.

At that point I just didn't care and all the suspense was gone. I could have turned off the TV and not missed a thing.

Semi-

I agree that Jeffery Dean Morgan did a really good job.  I kind of thought that we wouldn't know until next season and I really did want to turn off the TV or leave the room but I just couldn't.  I was like, "well I am already a mess may as well finish!"

lol.

(my quote function doesn't work for some reason) 

So it really sounds like some of you are sour because we didn't find out who was killed. 

That seems to be the theme of every negative review I've seen. 

So it really sounds like some of you are sour because we didn't find out who was killed. 

That seems to be the theme of every negative review I've seen.

It was TWD doing Lucy with the football. They took a good chunk of the second season to build up to this and... come back in the fall.

It was TWD doing Lucy with the football. They took a good chunk of the second season to build up to this and... come back in the fall.

Well, if Lucy let Chuck kick the ball, he would be satisfied after accomplishing his feat and move on.  Part of good storytelling is keeping people in suspense and making them think/talk about it, and anticipating the next part of the story. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't always want satisfaction and resolution in stories.  I *want* to have that uneasy, unknowing feeling, otherwise I'll lose interest.  Some of the most brilliant stories end on total cliffhangers(i.e, The Thing).  It leaves that sick, uneasy feeling that makes you think about it for a long time after you've seen it.  It makes people talk about it.  For that, TWD did exactly what they wanted, and are getting the exact results they wanted.  Love or hate the cliffhanger, people *are* still talking about it.

I get the cliff hanger thing. It just took seemingly forever to get there.

I disagree.

I thought the themes of Season 6B were much broader than the question of "who gets killed"

And it's not as if they haven't ended the season on Cliff-hangers before. Remember Terminus?

Well, if Lucy let Chuck kick the ball, he would be satisfied after accomplishing his feat and move on. Part of good storytelling is keeping people in suspense and making them think/talk about it, and anticipating the next part of the story.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't always want satisfaction and resolution in stories. I *want* to have that uneasy, unknowing feeling, otherwise I'll lose interest. Some of the most brilliant stories end on total cliffhangers(i.e, The Thing). It leaves that sick, uneasy feeling that makes you think about it for a long time after you've seen it. It makes people talk about it. For that, TWD did exactly what they wanted, and are getting the exact results they wanted. Love or hate the cliffhanger, people *are* still talking about it.

The most important thing they did with the second half of S6 was show viewers how much the world has changed and how there are a lot more communities of Survivors besides Alexandria.

I don't know exactly where the story goes next but I assume there will be more wars between groups of survivors

Edited by soulflower

Pretty good Episode following last week's premiere

I really like the King Eziekiel character

Last night's episode was awesome. They pretty much nailed the King Eziekiel character. Khary Payton played him perfectly.

Carol's reaction was priceless. "Are you shxtting me?"

I really enjoyed the episode and the chemistry between Zeke and Carol was great.

The idea of expanding the central story beyond Rick's community of survivors is a welcome change

I really enjoyed the episode and the chemistry between Zeke and Carol was great.

The idea of expanding the central story beyond Rick's community of survivors is a welcome change

Depending on how much they follow the comics I could see the TV show putting out an entire episode about Eziekiel. BTW: in the comics the chemistry is between Michone and Zeke.

Death watch for Heath considering the actor has moved on to bigger things.

Depending on how much they follow the comics I could see the TV show putting out an entire episode about Eziekiel. BTW: in the comics the chemistry is between Michone and Zeke.

Death watch for Heath considering the actor has moved on to bigger things.

I heard about that. Looks like he's the got a leading role on Fox's 24 reboot

Not surprising following his performance in Straight Outta Compton

Episode 4 will be 90 minutes long

I heard it will include Negan making a visit to Alexandria

Episode 4 will be 90 minutes long

I heard it will include Negan making a visit to Alexandria

"Little pig, little pig, let me in." -Negan

In one regard I think they'll have to clean up Negan on the TV show. In the comics he is a walking F-bomb.

So next week is the 90 minute episode. I think we got a 30 minute one this week with all the commercials.

That said, this was a bit of a filler episode that showed some background on Negan, Dwight, and the Saviors.