thehats

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

368 posts in this topic

You mean just like every single drama series in the history of television on their season finale?

There are some exceptions like The Wire and there's a whole bunch of new Miniseries type shows like American Horror Story and Fargo but for the most part you're right.

For most TV series, you know there will be a cliffhanger or perhaps the death of a major character in the season finale

You mean just like every single drama series in the history of television on their season finale?

Most aren't as bad as last year's season finale. 

Posted (edited)

TWD has had its low points over the years but they usually follow them up with some great TV drama.

I almost gave up on the show during the first half of Season 7 but I think most of the episodes in the second half have been well written and executed.

I'm sure they will disappoint me again pretty soon but I've gotten use to the inconsistency of the show

Edited by soulflower

Just curious, what was bad about it? 

Just curious, what was bad about it? 

The second half of the season had all the build up to Negan and then he's finally on screen for a few minutes and then the camera goes black and he kills one of the main people.  Then viewers have to wait until the next season to see what happened.  Lame way to generate hype.

The second half of the season had all the build up to Negan and then he's finally on screen for a few minutes and then the camera goes black and he kills one of the main people.  Then viewers have to wait until the next season to see what happened.  Lame way to generate hype.

Lame, really?  Seems like a pretty brilliant way to build anticipation for the next season's premiere(and I think that premiere was the highest rated episode of the entire series, right?). 

A show like this isn't supposed to give you resolution, or satisfaction.  It's ongoing use of uneasiness, frustration, and anticipation are the formula that successful shows have used for decades.  People decried Lost for the same reasons, and the Sopranos, etc.  Yet those shows could hardly be considered unsuccessful, and are often listed as people's all-time favorites. 

Lame, really? Seems like a pretty brilliant way to build anticipation for the next season's premiere(and I think that premiere was the highest rated episode of the entire series, right?).

A show like this isn't supposed to give you resolution, or satisfaction. It's ongoing use of uneasiness, frustration, and anticipation are the formula that successful shows have used for decades. People decried Lost for the same reasons, and the Sopranos, etc. Yet those shows could hardly be considered unsuccessful, and are often listed as people's all-time favorites.

The only near perfect TV series IMO were The Wire and Breaking Bad. Those two shows were just far more disciplined in the writing and character development than almost any other long running TV shows.

The Walking Dead has gone through lots of changes with the writing and direction of the show but I think what keeps my interest most is the acting and character development of the main cast members.

In fact, I think the fact that Fear The Walking Dead has lacked good character development is why I gave up on the Walking Dead spinoff.

I continue to watch TWD in spite of the flaws and occasional bad episodes because I care about the characters and want to see what happens next.

Game of Thrones is really well done. It also has very good source material to draw from.

Lame, really?  Seems like a pretty brilliant way to build anticipation for the next season's premiere(and I think that premiere was the highest rated episode of the entire series, right?). 

A show like this isn't supposed to give you resolution, or satisfaction.  It's ongoing use of uneasiness, frustration, and anticipation are the formula that successful shows have used for decades.  People decried Lost for the same reasons, and the Sopranos, etc.  Yet those shows could hardly be considered unsuccessful, and are often listed as people's all-time favorites. 

I think I'm just getting series fatigue after 6, now 7 seasons.  Sopranos felt the same way.

Posted (edited)

I think I'm just getting series fatigue after 6, now 7 seasons. Sopranos felt the same way.

I give them credit for pushing a story about the world being overrun by Zombies as far as it could possibly go. With no interest or likelihood of finding a cure for the Zombie outbreak, it's a pretty hopeless premise.

Unless they make major changes with the main characters and possibly break away from the Comics storyline, I don't see how the show lasts many more seasons

I often wonder why they continue to follow Rick after his many bad decisions. In reality, the core group would've broken into several smaller groups by now

Edited by soulflower

Well, the finale was IMO one of the very best episodes of the entire series.  Everything about it.  Intense.  Perfect.  And, for those who don't like hard cliffhangers, this was less of a cliffhanger and more of an ominous cloud of what is to come.  Shiva is one bad-arse tiger :D 

Posted (edited)

I enjoyed the episode

Once I heard the Donny Hathaway song Sasha was listening to, I knew she was going to take that poison pill

(Hathaway committed suicide)

The scenes with Abraham were great and it was also great to see Carol back in action

Edited by soulflower

Yeah, loved the scenes with Abraham and Sasha.  Quiet poetic in fact. 

I should have figured the Scavengers were up to no good, they are bad people in the comics I think.  The amount of arse-kickery was satisfying, and to seen Negan and the Saviors have to run off with their tails between their legs(and Negan's middle finger up), was awesome.  I really loved the scene when you see Rick shed a tear, after believing Michonne was killed, and you think, oh no, Rick's giving up again, but then he just goes into full rage mode, drooling while he talks, you could just feel his rage right through the screen.  Then Shiva.  And my wife and I high-fiving each other :)

When did Gregory take off?  I don't recall them showing that? 

Yeah, loved the scenes with Abraham and Sasha. Quiet poetic in fact.

I should have figured the Scavengers were up to no good, they are bad people in the comics I think. The amount of arse-kickery was satisfying, and to seen Negan and the Saviors have to run off with their tails between their legs(and Negan's middle finger up), was awesome. I really loved the scene when you see Rick shed a tear, after believing Michonne was killed, and you think, oh no, Rick's giving up again, but then he just goes into full rage mode, drooling while he talks, you could just feel his rage right through the screen. Then Shiva. And my wife and I high-fiving each other :)

When did Gregory take off? I don't recall them showing that?

Due to time constraints (commercial breaks), I think they packed as much as they could into that episode but also cut a few corners.

Seems like they leave a ton of scenes on the cutting room floor

Posted (edited)

I thought it was a messy finale.

The first half of the episode was very good.

The battle scenes toward the end were terrible. Very amateurish. And anything with the King is cringeworthy. 

It was still a very good season, maybe the best or second best, which is impressive after the premier divided so many people and had people wondering if the show had any momentum left in it.

Edited by Pickle20

I did not like the flash back scenes with Abraham and Sasha. They made the show drag on.

Well, the finale was IMO one of the very best episodes of the entire series.  Everything about it.  Intense.  Perfect.  And, for those who don't like hard cliffhangers, this was less of a cliffhanger and more of an ominous cloud of what is to come.  Shiva is one bad-arse tiger :D

Yeah this cliffhanger was nothing like last season's.  Good episode, but I'm dreading another season. 

The tiger is my favorite character now.

Yeah this cliffhanger was nothing like last season's.  Good episode, but I'm dreading another season. 

The tiger is my favorite character now.

Well, next season, depending on how long they drag out the war, is going to be action packed.  After the war is over( I suspect at the end of the season ) then the story gets very psychological and interesting in some weird ways from what I've read in the comic synopsis.