Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Does it matter which newscaster reads a story?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 MrsT

MrsT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:15 PM

Why do the newscasters get flustered if they start reading the other anchor's story :confused:

It's just a story...the next half-hour, they alternate stories anyway. It happened this morning with Stan and Mindy, but I've seen other newscasts where the same thing happens.

#2 NoFreeRides

NoFreeRides

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

I like newscasters more when they're human. My favorite was Tony Harris when he was on Fox 45.

He never took himself to seriously.
Is it too much to ask that people take responsibility for the consequences of the decisions they make?:confused:

http://www.ntu.org/m...ge.php?PageID=6

#3 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:35 PM

I like newscasters more when they're human. My favorite was Tony Harris when he was on Fox 45.

Jerry Turner - Awhile ago....
Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#4 Angeleyes

Angeleyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Why do the newscasters get flustered if they start reading the other anchor's story :confused:

It's just a story...the next half-hour, they alternate stories anyway. It happened this morning with Stan and Mindy, but I've seen other newscasts where the same thing happens.

Face time on TV................

#5 sarge

sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:30 PM

maybe it messes up their timing...agreed I like em more when they dont take themselves to seriuosly

#6 dogfish

dogfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,374 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

a while back....when they stepped on each other...it was hi-freakin-larious.

They are reading news...not making it FCOL

#7 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,687 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:49 PM

No, it doesn't matter one bit. And, I'm glad you put it so correctly----- READING THE NEWS, for that's all they do, all of them, all anchors. I guess the sheeple care hence we have the ridiculous salaries and concerns over who are the network anchors ie Katie Couric- as if these people have any real importance.

#8 NoFreeRides

NoFreeRides

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:59 PM

No, it doesn't matter one bit. And, I'm glad you put it so correctly----- READING THE NEWS, for that's all they do, all of them, all anchors. I guess the sheeple care hence we have the ridiculous salaries and concerns over who are the network anchors ie Katie Couric- as if these people have any real importance.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt if they're HOT!;)
Is it too much to ask that people take responsibility for the consequences of the decisions they make?:confused:

#9 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,687 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt if they're HOT!;)

No, sure doesn't, they just shouldn't insult our intelligence by tryiing to say they matter or are important-- anyone personable, photogenic and likeable who can read out aloud will do.

#10 Jack Dublin

Jack Dublin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,913 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

No it doesn't. And that is a perfect description of them - from Katie on down to the guy own channel 2 - news reader.

#11 Guest_Chiaroscuro_*

Guest_Chiaroscuro_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:44 AM

a while back....when they stepped on each other...it was hi-freakin-larious.

They are reading news...not making it FCOL

I wish I had seen that! :D I cannot stand Sally "if you're just getting in, welcome home" Thorner. Does she still say that crap? I can't stand looking at her or hearing her voice. She makes these stupid faces.

Another one is Don (forgot his last name) Marty's sidekick...or is it the other way around? He makes these stupid faces too and tries to act like the news is a personal issue to him. Just read the report!..... Or should I just say, read the information put in front of you that was highly altered from the facts.

#12 NoFreeRides

NoFreeRides

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:23 AM

No it doesn't. And that is a perfect description of them - from Katie on down to the guy own channel 2 - news reader.

Sorry, but I never considered Katie to be hot. Likable? Yes! Hot? No!

#13 MrsT

MrsT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

Really...they stop and stutter and stammer..."Oh, that's you" and other silliness. Yesterday, Stan read one line of a story, stopped abruptly, and Mindy picked it up. It serves no purpose :rolleyes:

#14 Wizard777

Wizard777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

That's the acting part of thier job. The other actor/newscaster has steped on thier lines. That's bad theater. In fact advertizers will get upset if the weatherman doesn't make the threat :eek: of the inch of snow seem dire :eek: enough to make the milk and tiolet paper fly off thier shelves. ;)
Support The Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008 !
Marijuana Policy Project
We too have a dream. A dream in which we are judged by what we do instead of what we smoke. A dream in which we are not at "war" with a Government we would rather serve than fight. Everyone need somewhere to belong

#15 Wizard777

Wizard777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

Jerry Turner - Awhile ago....

Lets not forget his sidekick Al Sanders. They just don't make news anchors like those two anymore. They were a great team. I think it was an act of kindness that God didn't allow these great newsmen to survive to see the Bush administraition. If they did I can see Jerry Turner saying, I'm not going to read this crap. Apparently the White House thinks our viewers are stupid. I just can't insult thier intelligence with this mindless drivel. So let go back to Al Sanders. ;) :D :rwb:
Support The Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008 !
Marijuana Policy Project
We too have a dream. A dream in which we are judged by what we do instead of what we smoke. A dream in which we are not at "war" with a Government we would rather serve than fight. Everyone need somewhere to belong

#16 abrahamhlincoln

abrahamhlincoln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:54 AM

Movies featuring animation are doing really well financially for the studios. One reason is that they don't have to pay real people to do anything but provide voices for the characters. At some point, networks will realize they don't need anybody to read the news to us on screen at all. Look for a network to figure that out in the next few years. News broadcasts will be nothing more than voiced over power point presentations. Think radio with pictures and text. Maybe some animation. You heard it here first.

#17 xxx+

xxx+

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

I liked Tony Harris too. But have you seen him on CNN?
They have too much makeup on him, it almost makes him look like a corpse.

#18 Red Baron

Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

Mindy Basara >drrooolll<

Gawd, anyone remember how Rolf Hertsgaard sat in modern looking swivel chair and read the news?

http://www.laskerfou...ard_wbal_61.gif
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did any of these groups protest against Big Government when it was illegally tapping our phones and denying habeas corpus rights... What we confront, in the anti-reform mobs, are people who approve of coercion and lawlessness, including when it is used by a strong leader... This mimics several of the characteristics Hannah Arendt discovered in the mobs tht brought totalitarianism to the modern world. -- Paul Grenier

#19 Lit

Lit

• Miserable Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

Mindy Basara >drrooolll<

Gawd, anyone remember how Rolf Hertsgaard sat in modern looking swivel chair and read the news?

http://www.laskerfou...ard_wbal_61.gif

Give me Mary Bubala. Please.

#20 JustMyThought

JustMyThought

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

Jennifer Gilbert matters.