186 replies to this topic

#1 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,888 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

Do not quote people and then alter their quotes. People think it's funny to "fix" the quote of someone they disagree with, but it is misleading to pretend that a person actually said that.

Such posts are deleted.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#2 workerbee

workerbee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Can the original be shown correctly with the needed and more accurate "fix" below?

It is funny you know. :)
TERM LIMITS NOW!

#3 Kevin

Kevin

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,395 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

Can the original be shown correctly with the needed and more accurate "fix" below?

no, it's not, it's annoying and I dont do it for that reason. some have to be told, I guess.

#4 JBartco

JBartco

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

The arbiter of funny has spoken!!

#5 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,888 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

Showing the person's name (and post #) in the box along with the altered quote is the problem. Take out the name and post #, or quote it and then ask, "Don't you mean" then then your "fix."

Adding emphasis to a quote isn't a problem, although it is good to point out outside the quote that the emphasis is yours.

Some people with long posts will have the whole thing quoted and each point or paragraph rebutted inside the quote with a distinquishing font. It's probably best to add quote tags to break up the quote, although I don't find the former objectionable as long as it is clear which is the quote and which is the commentary. That's my personal opinion, not the offical bs.com moderator position.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#6 workerbee

workerbee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

no, it's not, it's annoying and I dont do it for that reason. some have to be told, I guess.

Matt... is this acceptable?
Fixed it for you K.

"no, it's not, whaa whaa whaa... it's annoying and I dont do it for that reason... whaa whaa whaa... some have to be told, I guess." whaa whaa whaa :)
TERM LIMITS NOW!

#7 Kevin

Kevin

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,395 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

Matt... is this acceptable?
Fixed it for you K.

"no, it's not, whaa whaa whaa... it's annoying and I dont do it for that reason... whaa whaa whaa... some have to be told, I guess." whaa whaa whaa :)

see? and it's not annoying anymore!:cool:

:P

#8 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,475 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Having it deleted is no big deal. By the time it is deleted you've made your point and insulted the poster. By the time it's deleted no one is likely to have been reading it anymore anyway.

So effectively, it's no punishment at all.
"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

Has Obama Taken Away Your Guns Yet?

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

Isn't it kind of obvious if the words "fixed it for you" shows up that they aren't the OP's words?
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#10 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,997 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

[Altered quote deleted]
"Fixed it for you."

So this kind of thing is frowned upon, right? I just want to get this clear. ;)

Edited by Baltimatt, 12 November 2010 - 09:00 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#11 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,475 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

Not really, all they are going to do is delete your post. No biggie.

It's just more work for them.
"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

#12 Mom49of4

Mom49of4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76,886 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

Sometimes if a poster continues to change quotes and does not heed warnings it can lead to having posting privileges ended.
My children are my legacy.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

#13 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,475 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

But only sometimes? Like if they're not one of your buddies?
~George Washington

#14 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,997 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

But only sometimes? Like if they're not one of your buddies?

Oh, stop whining. We all know you want to suppress conservative opinions. Doesn't MSNBC have a forum more to your liking?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#15 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,475 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

Well, fortunately for you, you can falsely flame me like that and I can't respond in kind. So enjoy the opportunity.
~George Washington

#16 Kevin

Kevin

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,395 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

Well, fortunately for you, you can falsely flame me like that and I can't respond in kind. So enjoy the opportunity.

unreal, isnt it?

#17 Kevin

Kevin

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,395 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

Oh, stop whining. We all know you want to suppress conservative opinions. Doesn't MSNBC have a forum more to your liking?

what a post.:rolleyes:

rightys.....:rolleyes:

#18 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,483 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

You seem to have no trouble holding your own. "falsely flame" is calling jd a liar, so thats a response. And why would you desire to respond to what you consider bs, with more bs? Responding "in kind" to someone you feel is lying about you perpetuates the foolish game.

You are no victim, and you have every ability to correct another poster. You shred other posters regularly, I know. I like you, and I think you're damn smart, but your style, you'd have to admit, brings out the angry side of posters engaging you. And some of them love it.

But you're far from some sort of trampled on victim here. You dish it out regularly as well as any poster I've seen.

#19 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,475 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

Right, lay it on with your usual attacks pepper. It's all about me after all, right?

"falsely flame" is calling jd a liar, so thats a response.

No it isn't. It merely notes that his claim is incorrect. Many other explanations could exist.
~George Washington

#20 Kevin

Kevin

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,395 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

anyway, here we have a blatant violation and what happens...nada nothing zilch nyet.
yep......I wonder why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users