Baltimatt

Fixed it for you

220 posts in this topic

Fried two boards and under a year.... and they are going to charge for a second board replacement IN UNDER A YEAR! Guess I had better check my warranty. So what is BIG Business' game now. Instead of months it is the number and type of fixes... that sxcks. I guess I am safe in assuming that it was cheaper to buy a new one than fix the Dell.

Knock wood my wife and I have two similar Toshiba's for over 5 years each....until I had this driver issue that crashes my system from time to time .... knock wood...they have been very dependable.

You found Chrome faster....I always found it slower. Just goes to show there is some grain of truth to some code is optimized better for certain processors and certain machines.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me .... hope you had a good Easter

Had a great Easter... thanks.  To be clear.  Mother board fried in month 11 of the 12 month warranty.  Dell was great. Sent a prepaid shipping box and I had it back in less than a month.  My concern was for files and emails that I hadn't backed up, but the laptop came back with everything there.   Second MB went up in less than a year and was told to contact the other department.  Bought the Lenovo and chose to buy the warranty package with it. So far so good. 

Had a great Easter... thanks.  To be clear.  Mother board fried in month 11 of the 12 month warranty.  Dell was great. Sent a prepaid shipping box and I had it back in less than a month.  My concern was for files and emails that I hadn't backed up, but the laptop came back with everything there.   Second MB went up in less than a year and was told to contact the other department.  Bought the Lenovo and chose to buy the warranty package with it. So far so good. 

Ahhh so the new board was a year old when it went toes up. Well it sxcks for you but I get it from Dells viewpoint.

But 2 in 2 years? Wow .... talk about a design flaw. Yikes.

Like I said....I have these two Toshiba's .... 6 years plus no problems. Having worked in IT for over 30 years I collect a number of machines which I have in my computer lab/office.....some over 15 years old...still work. I have Linux and Unix on a few....believe it or not....they are faster in some respects than my newer machines.

To give you an picture of how old some of my machines are....get this....some have...METAL CASES!!!!! And 5 and 1/4 inch floppy drives. And no USBs.

Only a couple steps above punch cards..... :D

Edited by Guido2

How come sometimes when I put a blank line between 2 paragraphs in a post, that blank line doesn't show up after I post it? Very annoying.

How come sometimes when I put a blank line between 2 paragraphs in a post, that blank line doesn't show up after I post it? Very annoying.

I have not had the experience.

What brower and OS are you using?

Seems that since the Sun has moved to the new and improved e-news... things have been a bit flaky.

BTW... I think it is a safe bet that e-news and the forums are being driven by the same 'new' stuff. But I have no way of actually knowing without looking at the code.

Note... I put two returns in between paragraphs....what did you see?

I am running Firefox on Win 7 Home Edition.

Edited by Guido2

I use Chrome and Windows 8.

I see two returns in your post. It doesn't happen ally the time for me. Just enough times to be annoying.

I use Chrome and Windows 8.

I see two returns in your post. It doesn't happen ally the time for me. Just enough times to be annoying.

If you are a comp-geek like me....it is more than annoying....mainly because goofy shxt happens almost ALWAYS at the most inopportune time.

Sort of like the 'stress sensor' on the photo-copier that KNOWS when you absolutely... right now ...have to copy something....and the copier 'blows up'. :D

I can't upload an avatar. I get the file uploaded but the picture doesn't show up.

Hey MId.

I had the same problem....it is not you.... something is flaky on the Sun side.

I suggest you scroll back and locate my posts....bottom line...someone was nice enough to send me a link to a Darth Icon...that worked....frankly I swear...that I did EXACTLY THE SAME ....but never worked...download...link to web.

It is was very frustrating for weeks.

Hopefully back reading will help. I wish I could offer more info... sorry.

I'm not seeing most avatars in posts today.

Could we get a topic heading for recipes?

Preferably one that uses the image feature. :)

Is there a way to delete (post reply) notifications I've read.

New board looks good, BTW.

Matt I would like to make a suggestion.  Please start one more thread for the denizens of this highly charged political forum to say good morning or goodnight.  Pin it to the top, like the Keep it Civil thread, and delete without mercy any personal or political stuff.  .  
We (you) have in the Nats a wonderful community of debaters and gadflies and even republicans.  We are a peculiar bunch, and if I want to say hi to everyone that is not on a thread about some atrocity, going to Open Mike does not work.   Open Mike is a different community.  

Let us have (OMG I am going to spell this) "A Safe Space."  I can tell Zen to have a good day, or Calamari a good night and it doesn't have to be on the tail end of some Trump headline.  

Sounds like that might get to be a little much, wishing everyone a good night, like the end of the Waltons.

Just now, Baltimatt said:

Sounds like that might get to be a little much, wishing everyone a good night, like the end of the Waltons.

LOL.  Could be.  But you don't have to go there.  My "Goodnight My Friends" thread seemed to be appreciated but not overrun before it was moved to OM.

Do you disagree that it might be nice Nats should have a place to say hi after accusing each other of crap?  

14 hours ago, jdsample said:

Matt I would like to make a suggestion.  Please start one more thread for the denizens of this highly charged political forum to say good morning or goodnight.  Pin it to the top, like the Keep it Civil thread, and delete without mercy any personal or political stuff.  .  
We (you) have in the Nats a wonderful community of debaters and gadflies and even republicans.  We are a peculiar bunch, and if I want to say hi to everyone that is not on a thread about some atrocity, going to Open Mike does not work.   Open Mike is a different community.  

Let us have (OMG I am going to spell this) "A Safe Space."  I can tell Zen to have a good day, or Calamari a good night and it doesn't have to be on the tail end of some Trump headline.  

I would suggest sub catagories of local and national. One for logically, fact bound thinking posters. And one for the potty mouths and those of locked in concrete mind sets.

As I have experienced....the latter makes lessors of us all. I have been drawn into that vortex  unfortunately.

Matt, can you help a brother out, or what?

On 5/6/2017 at 9:12 PM, jdsample said:

Tell them Hi and goodnight in the thread. Hi jd, bye jd. Bam problem solved!

2 hours ago, ODENTON said:

Tell them Hi and goodnight in the thread. Hi jd, bye jd. Bam problem solved!

Which thread do you suggest?  The one about the Gray Death, or one of the Ivanka is a no-good money grubbing bride of Frankenstein threads?  

On 5/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, ODENTON said:

Is there a way to delete (post reply) notifications I've read.

New board looks good, BTW.

Are you talking about PM's?  There's an option button up on the top-ish right that has a pull down and one choice is delete.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Norman said:

Are you talking about PM's?  There's an option button up on the top-ish right that has a pull down and one choice is delete.

No. I'm talking about what appears when you click on the Bell (Notifications) at the top right of the screen.

Edited by ODENTON

Any chance of getting the BBcode editor back?  

On 5/11/2017 at 0:05 PM, SemiAuto said:

Any chance of getting the BBcode editor back?  

I think you can use BBcode in the current editing window.