Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ETP

New Football Head Coach Openings?

550 posts in this topic

Any new head football coach openings out there? I heard that Loch Raven just opened up. Anyone else.

Any new head football coach openings out there? I heard that Loch Raven just opened up. Anyone else.

That's going to be a uphill battle for this school no pride, vision, and the kids don't believe in the program at this time. You will need a total overhall for this program with about 6-10 coaches on the same path of winning.

That's going to be a uphill battle for this school no pride, vision, and the kids don't believe in the program at this time. You will need a total overhall for this program with about 6-10 coaches on the same path of winning.

You would be suprised how many coaches would want to put in for a job where there are no expectations, kids and adminstration are happy with being average so there are no expectations for them. It will be interesting to see if someone with drive and pride will be offered the job someone hungry enough to turn the program around on and off the field, in the classroom and will make a true connection with Loch Raven parks n rec. Especially with the new rule in effect which allows nonteachers to become Head coaches without the red tape. Those 6-10 coaches better have the same vision has the head coach or they will be nothing but an added headache

Any names ?

How is Jeff Mann at Dulaney? I have worked with Jeff in my years as an indoor track coach and I have found him to be a fine person. Sadly, Jeff has had a rough go at Dulaney. The job is not open at Dulaney, but I really think Jeff is in trouble. I wish him nothing but the best.

What are some of the names that would make for good candidates at any of the schools? Are there any assistant coaches that would that would fit the bill?

It is a tough job to change the culture of a losing program. One of the things Makosy had going for him is his personal history. It is easier for administrators, parents, and most importantly, athletes to buy into what proven coaches have to say. They have proven they know what it takes to win. In Makosy instant, he was in the playoffs every year.

I think it is a benefit for a school that has a losing tradition to bring someone in with a proven track record. You do not have to prove yourself, you history speaks for itself. Sometimes, with coaches that have never been a head coach before, the administrators, parents and players think they should have an input on how things need to be done. If the coach has been successful, there is more trust that he knows the way.

It is a tough job to change the culture of a losing program. One of the things Makosy had going for him is his personal history. It is easier for administrators, parents, and most importantly, athletes to buy into what proven coaches have to say. They have proven they know what it takes to win. In Makosy instant, he was in the playoffs every year.

I think it is a benefit for a school that has a losing tradition to bring someone in with a proven track record. You do not have to prove yourself, you history speaks for itself. Sometimes, with coaches that have never been a head coach before, the administrators, parents and players think they should have an input on how things need to be done. If the coach has been successful, there is more trust that he knows the way.

You make a great point about Proven. A Proven coach as you state it is not taking that job because a proven coach is winning where he is at! Most new coaches up and coming who have been apart of PROVEN programs will take a job like that and build the program into a winning one. If you build it your not going to leave it to start all over again

Some coaches may be ready for a new challenge!!! Not often, but it happens.

Coach russel at North East in Cecil County. He built a pretty good program at elkton and went deep into the playoffs a couple time. then took a coupel years off and is not at North East. NE is not a good program and he has his work cut out for him there.

Especially with the new rule in effect which allows nonteachers to become Head coaches without the red tape. Those 6-10 coaches better have the same vision has the head coach or they will be nothing but an added headache

Rule does not emininate any red tape to hire a outside coach.

teachers by law are still the prefeered choice and have the edge ininterviews(as it should be-athletics should support academics)

The new only protects qualified coaches who are in place already that meet the new requirements.(this is a good thing as it allows schools to keep coaches who have proven they know how to instruct young adultss properly and are not about teaching winning at all cost like some recreation and AAU coaches still do)

Certified emergency coaches can only be replaced by a more qualified coach not just a teacher who wants to coach if the school chooses. They can still be replaced by a teachers, Prinicpals make the final decision and all contracts are for 1 year only in Public schools-no need to give reason, they can just do not renew the contract if they want a change

Rule does not emininate any red tape to hire a outside coach.

teachers by law are still the prefeered choice and have the edge ininterviews(as it should be-athletics should support academics)

The new only protects qualified coaches who are in place already that meet the new requirements.(this is a good thing as it allows schools to keep coaches who have proven they know how to instruct young adultss properly and are not about teaching winning at all cost like some recreation and AAU coaches still do)

Certified emergency coaches can only be replaced by a more qualified coach not just a teacher who wants to coach if the school chooses. They can still be replaced by a teachers, Prinicpals make the final decision and all contracts are for 1 year only in Public schools-no need to give reason, they can just do not renew the contract if they want a change

Very correct a good way to look at it was that the TEC was required to have the job advertised every year. Now after meeting the requirements the TEC does not have to vacate the job and can be retained. Additionally he no longer counts as a TEC under the 50% rule.

The new restriction is that after being a TEC for a certian number of years you may not coach PERIOD if you did not fufill the requirements.

Very correct a good way to look at it was that the TEC was required to have the job advertised every year. Now after meeting the requirements the TEC does not have to vacate the job and can be retained. Additionally he no longer counts as a TEC under the 50% rule.

The new restriction is that after being a TEC for a certian number of years you may not coach PERIOD if you did not fufill the requirements.

I was told by an area AD that the rule does not change the 50 percent rule(50 percent of the staff must be certified Teachers employed by a public board of education) according to what they have been told by the state.

Clarification would be nice if anyone knows for certain

LOL...Sheesh...I went to high school with him and was pleasantly surprised to see his name as a Head Coach a few years ago. He's coaching just up the road from me and I had no idea. I spent so much time following/focused on coaching my own (youth rec) team and the team in my area (North Harford) that I didn't even realize he was there. Thanks ECF!!!

Rumor has it;

South River High, Coach resigned today.

If it's true, more then likely becuase the AD is a "Big ***** ho#e", along with the Principle and both have had it in for the football program since they've been in these position.