Photo
- - - - -

Maryland 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#1 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

The University of Maryland has posted their 2011 schedule:
Day Date Opponent Location Time
Sat. Feb. 19 Detroit Mercy (TerpsTV Premium) College Park, Md. 1 p.m.
Sat. Feb. 26 Georgetown (ESPNU) College Park, Md. 3 p.m.
Sat. March 5 at Duke * (ESPN3/WMAR) Durham, N.C. 1 p.m.
Mon. March 7 Bellarmine (TerpsTV Premium) College Park, Md. 3 p.m.
Sat. March 12 at Towson (ESPN3/WMAR) Baltimore, Md. 11 a.m. *Changed to 12pm*
Fri. March 18 UMBC (ESPN3/WMAR) College Park, Md. 7 p.m.
Sun. March 20 St. Joseph's (TerpsTV Premium) College Park, Md. 1 p.m.
Sat. March 26 North Carolina * (ESPNU) College Park, Md. Noon
Sat. April 2 at Virginia * (ESPNU) Charlottesville, Va. Noon
Fri. April 8 at Navy (CBS College Sports) Annapolis, Md. 7 p.m.
Sat. April 16 Johns Hopkins (ESPNU) College Park, Md. 8 p.m.
Fri. April 22 ACC Semifinals (ACC All-Access) Durham, N.C. TBA
Sun. April 24 ACC Finals (Raycom Sports) Durham, N.C. 3:30 p.m.
Sat. May 7 COLGATE (TerpsTV Premium) College Park, Md. 1 p.m.

Terps' homepage:
http://www.umterps.c...acros-body.html

Edited by Zack80, 08 March 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#2 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

The Terps return a strong starting attack unit this spring:
Grant Catalino - senior, big (6'5", 225) right-handed finisher with a big shot. 3rd team All-American last spring, and preseason 1st team All-American. (34g-20a, 54pts).
Ryan Young - senior feeder, very quick. HM All-American last spring, and preseason 3rd team AA. (18g-30a, 48pts).
Travis Reed - senior lefty finisher finished last year with 21g-18a for 39pts.

In reserve:
Fran Gormley - a senior feeder to back up Young
Rustin Bryant - Freshman, was POY in Baltimore last spring. Left-hander, pretty fast.
Brendan Saylor - Freshman, was POY in the Rochester area last spring, scored over 120pts in the same high school league that Catalino played in. Right-hander, small but very quick.
Sean McGuire - Freshman, feeder from New Jersey.
Mike Poiter - Sophomore - tall, finisher, has done nicely in the scrimmages.

Another option would be to move junior Joe Cummings, a left-handed finisher, back to the attack from the midfield.

The senior starters look like a big plus for the Terps. It will be interesting to see whether the fast freshmen, Bryant and Saylor, can add another dimension to the attack coming off the bench.

#3 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

The Terp's midfield was a little bit of a weak point last year. Cottle started the season trying Yeatman at the midfield, which seemed like it should work but Yeatman never seemed to get it going. After the UNC game in late March, Cottle made the switch of Yeatman back to attack, and Cummings back to the midfield. To get more speed, Cottle dropped Adam Sear to the third midfield and put Dan Burns on the first midfield. Burns, an fine ssdm, really didn't seem to have the offensive skills needed (and this is one of the reasons that I didn't mind seeing Cottle move on.)

Jr. Jake Bernhardt (11g, 3a, 14pt) was injured during the fall ball scrimmage. Jr. Drew Snider (8g, 5a, 13pt) and So. John Haus (12g, 2a, 14pt) came out on the first set in the fall ball scrimmage. Despite, Travis Reed being injured in the fall ball scrimmage, Joe Cummings (16-4a) only played at midfield and on man-up in the game, thus it appears Cummings will be at the midfield. I think that UMd's first line will probably come from these four.

According to Face-off magazine, Mike Shakespeare had Lyme disease and had to sit out the fall. Besides Shakespeare, one can look for players like Eric Boyle, W.Hansen, Joe Fontanesi, O.Blye, and Kevin Cooper to fill out the midfield lines.

If the regular midfielders seem to struggle with scoring ...
The little bit that I have seen of Rustin Bryant, tends to show him to be a dodging attackman as opposed to a shooter like Travis Reed, so he could show up as an invert midfield before the season is out.
Another 'pet' idea that I have involves Brendan Saylor, who is small but very quick. This would involve putting Saylor in on the right-side attack spot and moving Catalino to the midfield. Saylor seems to like to operate from behind the goal, and moving Catalino out in front of the goal would give Catalino a lot of goal to shoot at.

#4 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

The defensive midfield looks pretty good for the Terps.
At LSM, the Terps return 2nd team AA, senior Brian Farrell and junior Jessie Bernhardt. Farrell has those 'soft hands' as the say in football, for picking up groundballs and catching outlet passes on the run. Of course, he has great stick skills for an LSM on the offensive end (6g, 6a), his goals often getting the Terps going.
Jessie Bernhardt was a nice surprise as a freshman last spring. A bit smaller than Farrell at 6'1, 200 - Bernhardt has excellent speed and nice stick skills. He had 2 goals and 2 assists last spring and scored a nice goal in the fall ball scrimmage with Loyola.
Perhaps, we will see one of the freshmen, Casey Ikeda or Emmett Cahill, working in as a 3rd LSM. It is hard to know if Tillman will chose to play 3 LSMs like Cottle did though.

The Terps lost 2 regulars from their ssdm crew from last year, Bryn Holmes and Dean Hart, but return starter (sr) Dan Burns and regular (sr) Scott LaRue. Burns has outstanding speed, and is starting to remind a little bit of Paul Gillette on the clears - not only using his speed but making good decisions on the run. Filling out the unit this spring will probably be (soph) Landon Carr, (soph) Pat Morrison, and (sr) Justin Blye. Landon Carr from Washington State was the #22 freshman last year in IL. Carr is fairly impressive athletically (6'2", 205) and had a nice goal in tranisition against Loyola, so I look for Carr to make a little more noise this spring after getting his feet wet last spring. Another possibility at ssdm, especially in transition, could be freshman Greg D'Arienzo, who missed his senior lacrosse season, but was a star running back on his LI football team a year ago in the fall.

Face-offs is a bit of a questionmark for the Terps. Bryn Holmes the main face-off man last spring graduated. In the fall ball matchup with Loyola, Curtis Holmes took all the draws for the Terps. Curtis didn't do that well against Loyola's top face-off man, but did well against the others. I believe Jake Bernhardt will be the Terps #2 FO man (he was injured for the Loyola game). Bryn Holmes did say that he thought Curtis was better than him at face-offs. Hopefully, Curtis Holmes will also show himself to be a solid defender like his brothers, when he loses a FO.

#5 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

The Terps return their three starters from last year, Brett Schmidt, Max Schmidt and Ryder Bohlander. All will be seniors.
Brett Schmidt possesses that great speed that allows him to cover the quicker attackmen and even Shamel Bratton when needed. He was all-ACC and 3rd team AA last year, but in my opinion he would have been higher on the AA list if he had had more name recognition because he played great.
Max Schmidt has the good size (6'4", 230) to handle the push and shove. He was HM AA last season, after being 3rd team AA two years ago.
Ryder Bohlander took over the 3rd spot last spring and did a really nice job for the Terps. Having these 3 guys back as a unit will be a really big plus for the Terps.

Another plus for the close defense will be better depth. Grant Oliver (jr), who was challenging Bohlander last year for the 3rd spot in spring practice before he got injured and had to sit last season out, is back, and will give the Terps a quality and experienced d-men off the bench. The Terps will also have senior Shane Hall, who has been steadily improving over the years. Add to this 3 UA AA freshmen: Casey Ikeda, Mike Ehrhardt, and Emmett Cahill and you get quite a bit more depth.

#6 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

The Terps lost HM AA goalie Brian Phipps to graduation. Phipps played 921 out of 961 minutes last season for the Terps, so the Terps will be dealing with a bit of inexperience here. The Terps' choices for starting goalie look pretty good, and I tend to believe that they will at least get solid play in goal.

Niko Amato, red-shirt freshman, played the 1st and 3rd quarters in UMd's fallball match-up with Loyola and perhaps is the frontrunner. Loyola didn't test the UMd goalies much, so it was hard to get a real feel for his play. Amato was the top goalie according to IL in his high school class, and a UnderArmour All-American. He is a shorter quicker goalie at 5'8", 185.

Mark White, red-shirt junior, played the 2nd and 4th quarters in UMd's fallball scrimmage with Loyola, and is definitely in the running for starter. White was also an UA All-American his senior year in high school. Over the years, I have seen him make some nice saves, but in general haven't seen enough of him to get a real feeling for his ability. He is a taller goalie at 6'3", 185.

Filling out depth at the position are sophomore MJ Leonard and freshman Dom Lamolinara.

#7 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

It is sort of interesting when you look at the Terps' history:
http://www.umterps.c...by_records.html

The Terps haven't had a losing record since they started playing lacrosse in 1924. They didn't field a team during the war years 1944-1945, so that is 85 seasons in a row of .500 or better play. That must be the top ongoing streak in DI lacrosse.

#8 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

There is a blog up about the Terps on umterps.com.
-New Faces Could Play Key Roles In 2011
http://www.umterps.c...es-in-2011.html

#9 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

A report on the Terps first day of practice is posted on umterps.com:
http://www.umterps.c...nally-here.html

#10 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

There is a preview of the Terps up on lax.com
http://www.lax.com/s...html?story=2728

with interview clips of Coach Tillman, Travis Reed, Grant Catalino, and Ryan Young.

#11 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

There is a new team preview up on umterps.com with Coach Tillman, Brian Farrell, Grant Catalino, Brett Schmidt and Dan Burns

http://www.umterps.c...-and-polls.html

Tillman seems fairly confident in the Terps goalies and face-off men. Hopefully, he will be right.

#12 LFDlaxer

LFDlaxer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:56 AM

Terps played well in scrimmages yesterday vs Drexel & U Penn. Liked the ball movement on offense. Both goalies looked good, I give a slight edge to Amato. My biggest concern heading into the season is face-offs as in my opinion this continues to be an issue. Very impressed with Tillman having the boys in "uniform" on the field (matching sweats) and slacks, ties & sports jackets for travel.

#13 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Philly is a little far for me to drive for a scrimmage, so I'm waiting for the Detroit season opener on the 19th.
LFDlaxer, did you get any feeling for how the 1st and 2nd midfield lines are meshing out?

#14 LFDlaxer

LFDlaxer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

Due to the horrible weather and difficulty in seeing the field regardless of reading the numbers my analysis here will not be too deep. In my humble opinion Haus & Cummings played very well.

#15 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

Due to the horrible weather and difficulty in seeing the field regardless of reading the numbers my analysis here will not be too deep. In my humble opinion Haus & Cummings played very well.

That seems like a good start. If Cummings and Haus can take a step forward from last year, it would bode well for the Terps' midfield.

Cummings seemed a little uncomfortable as a midfielder as a freshman. Last year, when switched back to midfield at midseason from attack, he looked more in tune with the position. Maybe this year he'll break out a bit.

Uh-oh, I notice under the 2011 blog that someone has commented that White should play in goal - the goalie competition heats up. :rolleyes:

#16 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

You know you listen to the tapes of coaches, talking about the sense of urgency for seniors. When one looks at UMd's attack, certainly Catalino and Young will want to go out big - but they have both been All-Americans and All-ACC already and made their mark on DI lacrosse. Then you think about Travis Reed, a top 10 recruit 4 years ago, he has done well, but hasn't really made a real mark on DI - might this sense of urgency be even greater for him. Reed did score 39pts last year, with splitting some of his time in the 2nd half the season with Yeatman. Might we look for T.Reed to break the 50pt mark? Good luck in your senior season, Travis!

#17 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

Terps scrimmage with Syracuse today.

Reports on laxpower indicate Syracuse won 11-9.

Inside Lacrosse has an article up on the game:
http://insidelacross...-canisius-recap

Apparently, Farrell, M.Schmidt, and Dan Burns didn't play.

Cummings had 3 goals and Haus two.

Edited by Zack80, 10 February 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#18 LFDlaxer

LFDlaxer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

Last week they wore the right jersey numbers but you couldn't see them. Today the visibility indoors was great; you just could not tell who was who! Haus & Cummings did most of the scoring; Haus has a great shot and went top corner, far side with a blast that was very impressive. Amato played very well and Curtis Holmes was much better on face-offs. Syracuse is very talented offensively; did not see any "stats" but I would say they took more shots and gained the zone pretty much at will. With the missing players out due to injury that makes sense; not many freshmen played either.

#19 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

From the IL article it sounds like Amato might have the upperhand toward starting. I guess we'll know a week from saturday against Detroit Mercy.

#20 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

Terps get their day on Inside Lacrosse today:
http://insidelacross...1-no-6-maryland

Analysis video with Quint Kessinich and an interview of John Tillman.