Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zack80

Maryland 2011

168 posts in this topic

It appears that Joey Kimpler was originally going DII at Mesa College, but got noticed at the Adreneline classic in San Diego:

Joey Kimpler, a midfielder from JSerra HS heading to the University of Maryland, told us

“Many coaches back east find scouting for west coast lacrosse talent geographically difficult but events like the Adrenaline Showcase opened the doors for many of my opportunities as well as for a bunch of kids I played there with”.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/02/07/adrenaline-showcase-class-2011

There's a good article on coach Tillman on our host's site:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/lacrosse/bs-sp-john-tillman-md-lacrosse-20110214,0,2298304.story

Learned a lot I didn't know about Tillman. He really seems like a good fit for the UMd.

There is a lot of pressure on him to get to the final four or further this season with the team UMd has returning. For myself, I just want to see the team play well.

There is an article in the UMd Diamondback about Tillman taking over the Terps:

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/sports/new-coach-same-goal-for-men-s-lacrosse-1.2004682

Very windy today for the Detroit game.

I remember being at field level in Byrd for some moderately windy days, and finding the wind was much milder down there. That was of course in the old days before the upper deck, parking garage, and huge press box. Of course, today the wind is gusting up to 40mph, so certainly it will be felt somewhat. Of course, the buildings could cause the wind to swirl about. Anyways, I'm glad the game is at Byrd, and not at Ludwig which will be raked by the wind.

The Terps started out slow today, finally Travis Reed scored with about 8 minutes left in the first quarter, but that goal was called off due to an illegal stick on Reed and he got a three minute penalty. Detroit took advantage of this and moved out to a 2-0 lead. Reed sat, even when his penalty was up, Owen Blye taking his place. The Terps ended up behind 2-1 at the end of the first quarter, scoring on a goal by J.Cummings on a nice feed from John Haus. R.Young started to assert himself in the 2nd quarter scoring 3 goals, and Reed got back on the field scoring a couple goals - and by half time the game was essentially over with the Terps leading 8-2.

Brian Farrell and Dan Burns did not play.

Terps got a nice effort from their sophomores. Amato (R-fr) started in goal and had a couple of nice saves, wasn't tested most of the game, but overall did well. John Haus broke his assist mark from last year (2) in the first half and ended up with 4 assists on the day. C.Holmes did well on the face-offs winning 17 of 21. With Burns sitting, Landon Carr was pressed into starting duty at ssdm and played very well, picked up a goal in the 2nd half on a fast break. With Farrell injured, Jessie Bernhardt took over the starting role at LSM and played outstandingly.

Joe Cummings had a nice game scoring 3 goals and seemed pretty assertive out there. It sort of looked like he had another goal, but the refs didn't think it went in. The play of Cummings and Haus seems to bode well for the Terps' midfield. Snider chipped in a couple goals and Jake Bernhardt added a goal and an assist.

A couple of Terps got a lot of playing time, whose names aren't mentioned much. While LaRue started at ssdm, he seemed to leave in the first quarter, and David Miller took over for most of the half. In the 2nd half, Miller put down his short-stick and played a lot of minutes at LSM. Owen Blye started on the 1st midfield, and then when Reed sat O.Blye took over on attack for a while. Blye ended up with a goal and assist on the day.

Tillman didn't go to his "true" freshman much. The first one I noticed on the field was Sean McGuirre who came in with maybe 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter and did pick up and assist. Many of the others made appearances, but I didn't see enough of them to form any opinion on their games. I imagine Tillman went with the regulars pretty long, because next weekend's opponent Georgetown is pretty good.

Besides arriving at the game in my usual red coat, only to find that Detroit Mercy was wearing all red, while the Terps had on Yellow jerseys, the only thing that bothered me was the stick penalty on Travis Reed. Firstly, a three minute penalty and erasing a goal is pretty big. But more than the penalty itself it annoyed me that Detroit scored 2 goals in this period.

That Detroit got 1 goal was perhaps acceptable, but the Terps won the face-off after this Detroit goal but seemed to have no real plan for what to do then. After winning the face-off, I believe the Terps called a TO. The line-up inserted was Young, Catalino, O.Blye, Jk. Bernhardt, and Cummings after the TO, I believe. I think it would have been wise here to put in another player used to carrying the ball, like perhaps Gormley (perhaps later in the season some of the quick freshmen attackmen might be of use in such a situation). The Terps got the ball to Young who ran around a bit before getting trapped along the sideline by two long poles and stripped. The other Terps need to break from their defenders and get open before this happens - having faster Terps on the field would help this. Certainly, Young can't run around for 2 minutes. In a more competitive game this could really hurt the Terps.

My thoughts, not crazy about Byrd with 50,000 empty seats and sitting in the shade but hopefully it will get better. Thought there would be an "opening day" ceremony introducing each player, would be a nice touch moving forward. Not crazy about the gold uniforms, like the traditional red, white & black. If they are going to do something different put the players names on the back of the uniform! Now for the game; Terps dodged a bullet with Reed's 3 minute non-releasable penalty, they dug a hole that would have been much harder to dig out versus a quality opponent. Reed reminds me of a hockey player, he will shoot from any angle at anytime and is quite crafty, definetly brings a lot to the table. But the stick infraction is unacceptable. As Ryan Young goes so will the Terps, he is the QB and when he is on the offense clicks. Thought Catalino was "slow" or "lumbering" at times but when given space is deadly. Continue to be impressed with Cummings & Haus who have impressed in every outing. Hard to judge the goalie as he was untested. With Farrell & Burns out I thought we would see more of the "true freshmen", don't know if that is norm or a setback but when you win 16-4 don't think defense is a concern. McGuire in limited action is super quick and is beginning to remind me of Young. All in all a good day, good to get started and let's see what the HOYAS bring next week. GO TERPS!

I notice in the boxscore, that Rustin Bryant played. I think I did see #35 out there but I thought it was just Gormley, as he wore #35 last year. Gormley is wearing #32 this year. Ah well, I guess this was my warm-up game as a fan. :D

My expectations for the attack next season (2012) is for one of this year's freshmen: McGuire, Saylor, or Haley to take over the feeder role, while one of next year's recruits Forster or Carlson takes over the right-hand finisher role, and Cummings moves back to attack in the left-hand finisher role. I sort of expect to see Solomon at the midfield.

The TERPS have played one game this year and we are projecting next year's line-up? Give me some info on Georgetown? How does North Carolina lose to Ohio State who only beat Detroit Mercy by a goal? What about Duke & Virginia? They did not look so great in week one...I love the future projecting, I can't look that far out, I'm week to week...

You're right about the future projections. I like to think about how people will fit in.

Georgetown is a solid team. They did struggle a little against Jacksonville down in Florida, but their effort might be quite different against the Terps. They still have three left from their famed #1 class: Ehrmann, Mirabito, and J.Davis. Ehrman is outstanding and seems to be playing on the close defense. Jack Davis hasn't really seemed to live up to his recruit rankings. Mirabito is a good player, although Travis Comeau might be the star attackman. I think if the Terps play their game, they should win this one. Too many penalties and other miscues could keep Georgetown in it.

Let's not forget that Drexel has an outstanding goalie, Manos, who made 19 saves against UVa. UVa scored 12 as it was. It will be interesting to see if UVa will get 20 against Stony Brook this weekend.

Duke lost to ND last year, so we might not want to eliminate them yet. That being said, Duke doesn't have the senior talent this year that it had last year, and this result might be signalling something different than last year's result.

Hopefully, UNC's loss means they won't be so good. Of course, UMd got upset early in the season a few years back by Bucknell, when Joe Walters was a senior, so we might not want to put to much weight on the result. Although UNC did struggle with Robert Morris in their other game.

My general feeling which might be incorrect as I don't know coach Tillman that well, is that he viewed Detroit as a preparation for the two tough games coming up Georgetown and Duke, and thus having an experienced team went with his experienced players.

After the Duke game, the Terps go on a stretch of easier opponents:

03/07/11 vs. BELLARMINE TV College Park, Md. 3:00 p.m.

03/12/11 at Towson TV Towson, Md. 11:00 a.m. ET

03/18/11 vs. UMBC TV College Park, Md. 8:00 p.m. ET

03/20/11 vs. SAINT JOSEPH'S TV College Park, Md. 1:00 p.m.

I sort of expect Tillman to give his freshmen more of an opportunity in these games, especially Bellarmine and Saint Joesph's. Seeing if some of them can add something to the team. Finding at least one long pole that will return in 2012, besides Js.Bernhardt, that he is content with playing might be important for the 2012 team's defense.

I tend to feel that UMd's close defense should be able to handle Georgetown's attack fairly well. I am not too familiar with Georgetown's midfield, and there were players missing from UMd's defensive midfield last saturday. If Farrell, Burns, and LaRue are playing, it might not be easy to beat UMd's defensive midfield. Amato should be solid in goal.

Maryland's attack can be pretty tough to handle, and Haus and Cummings are looking pretty dangerous at the midfield. I don't know if Georgetown's defense can handle them, and haven't really been sold on Georgetown's goalies either.

Face-offs might be an edge for Georgetown. Tabb returns for them. Curtis Holmes did do well against Detroit though.

On paper, UMd should win this one, but games are played on fields. Georgetown does put a quality player at every position and will play hard. Maryland needs to avoid mistakes and make plays offensively to take Georgetown out of the game. Having Farrell back on fastbreaks would be a plus for the Terps. If Georgetown can hang in there until the fourth quarter, it could be anyone's game. I think Georgetown's strategy should be to try to control the ball, and take good shots - don't rush things, avoid penalties as UMd's man-up will probably be pretty good again this year. Maryland should push things and look for fastbreaks, although once into the set offense, they should not let Reed or Catalino starve.

The Terps should keep an eye on Ryan Shuler also. While sort of a middling DI player, he has had big games against the Terps. Shuler's has had 2 games where he has scored 4 or 5 points in his career - Georgetown's last 2 games against the Terps.

Quint Kessinich in his W2W4 columns says just the opposite:

"The Hoyas' upset hopes hinge on goaltending and faceoffs. Ground balls will determine tempo. Maryland would prefer to play this game in conventional fashion, while Georgetown wants to create frenetic transition."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-quint-column-lacrosse-0225-20110224,0,3521631.story

My opinion is that playing 'reckless on defense' might be a decent strategy against Jacksonville, but against a team with the experience and talent on offense that the Terps have, it would probably be a death knell.

It was nice watching this game from the stands too!

One of the more interesting things about this game was that Curtis Holmes just took over that face-off battle in the 2nd half. Holmes won 15 of 19 in the 2nd half.

Catalino was named Player-of-the-game, but there were many deserving Terps. Catalino was like a machine with his shot, sort of a 'Babe Ruth' of lacrosse shooting.

UMd's close defense held Georgetown's attack to just 1 goal and 1 assist. Georgetown was without their main feeder, Zac Guy.

Brian Farrell was outstanding, one-timing ground balls and catching tough passes, along with a goal and an assist.

Young, of course, was outstanding making big plays, 2g-3a on the day.

Terps offensive midfield came through big, 5 of the first 6 Terp goals were scored from the midfield. O.Blye had a couple nice ones to go with 2 assists, Cummings tossed in a couple, Snider scored 3, and Haus had a goal and 2 assists. Jk. Bernhardt had a goal, and K.Cooper contributed 2 assists. Landon Carr had a goal in transition.

Amato was solid in goal.

:)

It looked like a fun game to attend, a lot of points. Catalino had a pretty insane 3rd quarter with the 3 goals in a span of a few minutes. The new keeper looks solid as well, along with the rest of the defense. What a way for Tillman to get his first win, too.

Yep, Detroit Mercy.

Michigan added lacrosse in a couple years.

Lacrosse is spreading. Terps have two regulars from Washington State, who each scored goals today: Drew Snider 3 goals, Landon Carr 1 goal.

Watched this one on TV with no sound, have it on the DVR anxious to study it more closely. Nice to see continued production out of the middies; Snider's blast through the net was awesome. Haus & Cummings continue to impress, nice to see Byle join the party as well. Catalino is a dangerous sniper and his ride was incredible after he put the ball on the ground, Young was all over the field as usual, Travis was rather quiet. Nice to see big #37 back out there! Scmidht & Bolander very physical. I thought Amato was OK, solid on clears, will get better with more playing time. I thought that Curtis Holmes was the player of the game, he took the game over at one point and was spectacular! Hoping to make the trek down to Duke have never been there and after they lost to UPenn this should be interesting. Tillman looked annoyed at the end of the game, after telling them "no more goals" he looked pretty ticked that someone took another shot in the closing seconds? Have NOT been impressed with Georetown for awhile now, with all due respect the Urick era needs to end. GO TERPS!