Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trace21230

Chris Christie (R-NJ) Commutes Gun Sentence of Brian Aitken

27 posts in this topic

We haven’t covered Aitken’s case (except for a lone Headline item a few weeks ago), but he’s a cause celebre among libertarians and Second Amendment fans — for good reason. In a nutshell: He bought three guns, entirely legally, when he was living in Colorado and brought them back to New Jersey with him when he moved home to be closer to his son. To make sure he had his i’s dotted and t’s crossed, he called New Jersey police for guidance on how to transport them. He had the guns in the trunk of his car, unloaded and safely locked in a case, and was allegedly en route to his new home in Hoboken when he got a call from New Jersey police asking him to drive to his mother’s home. She had phoned them because she was worried that Aitken was suicidal; when he arrived, the cops arrested him for possessing handguns without a permit. But wait, you say — isn’t it legal to drive your guns from one residence to another? Radley Balko at Reason wondered the same thing:

Link: http://hotair.com/archives/2010/12/20/chris-christie-commutes-gun-sentence-of-brian-aitken/

Christie didn't go far enough; Aitken should have been pardoned. At least Aitken gets his freedom back after being forced into a 7-year jail sentence by a judge with horrible judgment.

Good news. The important thing is, he's out of jail. He can work on getting a full pardon later.

Link: http://hotair.com/archives/2010/12/20/chris-christie-commutes-gun-sentence-of-brian-aitken/

Christie didn't go far enough; Aitken should have been pardoned. At least Aitken gets his freedom back after being forced into a 7-year jail sentence by a judge with horrible judgment.

Sure glad that I do not live in New Jersey or even Maryland for that case. Yes, we have the whacko's in Seattle but out here even the libs are gun friendly (in most cases).

I sure like my concealed carry license that is now recognized by 20 other states and growing.

Guns, yes. Marijuana, no. Talk about your ****ed up priorities.

Sure glad that I do not live in New Jersey or even Maryland for that case. Yes, we have the whacko's in Seattle but out here even the libs are gun friendly (in most cases).

I sure like my concealed carry license that is now recognized by 20 other states and growing.

How about that criminal that Mike Hickabee reduced sentence so he could get parole and go to seattle and blow away four Seattle policemen in five minutes!

Really strange case.

Amazing that the police, the prosecutor or the judge, suffered no real consequences for their actions in the case.

Even being found guilty, this guy at the most should have been given probation.

Jail time was ridiculous.

You have people arrest 15 or 20 times and are still walking around.

This is a classical example of why I tell people all the time, that it is the job of the police to find you guilty. Always be weary of cooperating with the police.

Really strange case.

Amazing that the police, the prosecutor or the judge, suffered no real consequences for their actions in the case.

Even being found guilty, this guy at the most should have been given probation.

Jail time was ridiculous.

You have people arrest 15 or 20 times and are still walking around.

THe mother says he was suicidal . Sounds like he should have been getting psychriatic care not jail.

Just curious, if this guy had not allowed police to look in his vehicle, he might not have ever been charged.

It appears from the article that the police had no reason search his vehicle.

You would think that a better solution to the whole matter would have been easy.

The police could have confiscated his weapons based on their understanding of the law and taken them to the police station. They could have told him that the weapons would be released when the gentleman came to the station with his lawyer to discuss the matter.

There are more than enough real criminal thugs running around for the police to be concerned with.

If the police handled this matter with a little more discretion, the court never even hears the case.

You would think that a better solution to the whole matter would have been easy.

The police could have confiscated his weapons based on their understanding of the law and taken them to the police station. They could have told him that the weapons would be released when the gentleman came to the station with his lawyer to discuss the matter.

I know a few sheriff's deputies and all of them have told me the same thing. When the cops confiscate your guns for ANY reason, they are cared for in the most haphazard of ways. They are locked up, but they are not worried about the condition in which you may get them back when everything is resolved.

This case stunk from jump and he should have been pardoned. Christie dropped the ball on this one. The "perp" will have to work very hard to get the felonies purged from his record and they will follow him wherever he goes. Good luck buying another firearm or getting a job that does a background check until he clears his name.

At least the lame judge is no longer working in NJ.

Guns, yes. Marijuana, no. Talk about your ****ed up priorities.

Really? Do you think that the two issues are somehow related?

Should he have to spend 7 years in prison for this "crime", in light of the fact that the judge wouldn't even enlighten the jury in regards to the possible exemptions in this case?

Just curious, if this guy had not allowed police to look in his vehicle, he might not have ever been charged.

It appears from the article that the police had no reason search his vehicle.

There are more than enough real criminal thugs running around for the police to be concerned with.

If the police handled this matter with a little more discretion, the court never even hears the case.

The mother said he was suicidal .The mother aslerted the police that the man was of dan ger to himself.

The mother said he was suicidal .The mother aslerted the police that the man was of dan ger to himself.

How do we know that the mother was telling the truth? What is to stop anyone from reporting someone else as "suicidal" either for revenge or because they don't like guns?

Even if he were, being suicidal does not call for a seven year jail sentence.

Even if he were, being suicidal does not call for a seven year jail sentence.

see post seven.

If a relative says someone is suicidal please believe them I know the consequence of slow police action personaly from the City of Tacoma. The patient killed himself and son with gun. He was not taking his meds and he should have not been allowed to have gun because of a long term mental health issue. The former wife asked for protection and the police reacted so verrrrrrrryyyyyyy sllllllllllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwww that by the time they got around to it 2 people were dead.

How do we know that the mother was telling the truth? What is to stop anyone from reporting someone else as "suicidal" either for revenge or because they don't like guns?

see post 14.

If a relative says someone is suicidal please believe them I know the consequence of slow police action personaly from the City of Tacoma. The patient killed himself and son with gun. He was not taking his meds and he should have not been allowed to have gun because of a long term mental health issue. The former wife asked for protection and the police reacted so verrrrrrrryyyyyyy sllllllllllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwww that by the time they got around to it 2 people were dead.

see post seven.

I have no doubt that is the case. But apparently, Mr. Aitken was not suicidal and that could have probably been quickly determined. This entire case was poorly handled. i would hope that Gov. Christie does more than commute the sentence.

I have no doubt that is the case. But apparently, Mr. Aitken was not suicidal and that could have probably been quickly determined. This entire case was poorly handled. i would hope that Gov. Christie does more than commute the sentence.

How do you know Mr Aitken was not sucidial?

He's still alive today, isn't he? Had he been suicidal then, imagine what his state of mind would have been while in prison.

He's still alive today, isn't he? Had he been suicidal then, imagine what his state of mind would have been while in prison.

Believe it or not some folks actually get mental health assistance while in prison!

http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/15/brian-aitkens-mistake

It was there that the police confronted Aitken. Although they determined he wasn't a threat to himself or anyone else, they searched his car, where they found his handguns. They were locked, unloaded, and stored in the trunk, as federal and New Jersey law require for guns in transport. The police arrested Aitken anyway, charging him with unlawful possession of a weapon.

Now, I'm not sure if the cops are trained to determine such things, but someone made the determination. After that, they searched his car.

Believe it or not some folks actually get mental health assistance while in prison!

Well, thank God that he was wrongfully convicted so that he could receive the care that he so desperately needed. It truly was a miracle.

http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/15/brian-aitkens-mistake

Now, I'm not sure if the cops are trained to determine such things, but someone made the determination. After that, they searched his car.

http://reason.org/news/show/brian-aitkens-mistake

When Aitken visited his parents' house, his mother, Sue Aitken, grew worried about his mental state. In an interview with a New Jersey radio program last week, she said she works with children who have mental health problems, and she has always been taught to call police as a precaution when someone appears despondent and shows any sign that he might harm himself. Concerned about her son, she called 911 but then thought better of it and hung up the phone. The police responded anyway. When they arrived at her home, Sue Aitken told them her concerns about her son, and the police called Brian Aitken, who was then en route to Hoboken, on his cell

The mother did the right thing in calling the police and I hope if someone of this forum has a similiar situation let the police know . Obviously the system failed the suspect in the way the situation was later handled but at least the man is alive and my friend and his son are dead because the courts and legal system did not more fast enough in response to the ex-wife and the current wife has lost her husband.

My concern is that folks will read this story and decide if they suspect someone of mental health problems they won't notify appropriate authorities to make a determination! So often after a suicide people say if only if I had.......

I believe the judge in this case was already on his way out because of some of his other whacko decisions. Christie refused to reappoint him to another term. I'm glad to see this case got the governor's attention; it helped that all the radio stations gave it air time and brought it to the public's attention. Otherwise, this guy might have disappeared into the system for the next seven years, and that would have been really tragic.