Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest crabsnbeer

Luskins: The Big Screen Store

52 posts in this topic

In the old days, a parody on his TV ads proclaimed him to be "The Cheapest Jew in Town." :)

No offense meant, some of my best friends are...:rwb:

The fact is that Luskin would buy truckloads of TV's from manufacturers, so many that they would put an extra number or letter on the model number of the product.

Their ads claimed that you would get a break if you could find the same model for a different price, however, since (insert lawyer language here) there was no Luskin's model number available at competitor's stores, they never had to honor the claim.

That's part of the reason why the FTC busted them years ago.

Cute, ain't it?

Luskins had a branch store in Bel Air many years ago. I walked in looking, and walked out really quick. I wouldn't buy a used Mr. Coffee from those guys, much less a high dollar TV.

The fact is that Luskin would buy truckloads of TV's from manufacturers, so many that they would put an extra number or letter on the model number of the product.

Their ads claimed that you would get a break if you could find the same model for a different price, however, since (insert lawyer language here) there was no Luskin's model number available at competitor's stores, they never had to honor the claim.

That's part of the reason why the FTC busted them years ago.

Cute, ain't it?

Luskins had a branch store in Bel Air many years ago. I walked in looking, and walked out really quick. I wouldn't buy a used Mr. Coffee from those guys, much less a high dollar TV.

IF memory serves me, they also were heavy into "bait and switch" and a few times, customers discovered an entirely different (inferior) item was actually in the box, other than what was purported to be in it.

Jack Luskin used his advertising extortion to run the best Talk Show host in Baltimore Radio out of town,Since then Gene Burns went on to a very successful radio talk show host in Boston, Florida ,New York City and currently KGO-AM San Franscisco.

I worked in the Luskin corportate office in Jessup in the late 70's early 80's. It was my first 'real' job. All I can say is that bait and switch is accurate as well as selling damage products from their warehouse that flooded every time it rained. Crooks. I had no idea that this store was theirs as well. Never been in one and now never will.

That BizJournal article was written in 1996, and Big Screen Store has been around for years. Why are you discussing this now, am I missing something?

I just saw one of the annoying commercials and made a comment.

His daughter was connected with one of the major LA sports teams. Married/divorced from the owner?

Yep, Jamie (Luskin) McCourt now owns half of the LA Dodgers.

Who cares about the store. They had good fireworks in Towson :)

Hah! I was about to say the same thing. I remember taking my dad's beautiful Buick 225 convertible there to watch the fireworks to impress my gf one year. Never thought about the hot sparks that would rain down from the exploding fireworks. Put the top up to protect the interior and got several burn holes in the top instead. Boy was he pi$$ed - took me over a year to pay that off!

Jack Luskin defined the term "crook".

They used to have a great fireworks display on July 4th. That's the nicest thing I can say about Luskins.

Yeah but true to form Jack seemed to buy the cheapest fireworks in town-I remember a number of short rounds and flaming shards descending on the crowd-great fun.

Yeah but true to form Jack seemed to buy the cheapest fireworks in town-I remember a number of short rounds and flaming shards descending on the crowd-great fun.

That's not good. Never got that close, we used to watch from what is now Baltimore Lutheran School. I think it used to be Boys Lutheran. I guess we were too busy running after the kids to realize how cheap they really were.

I don't think Luskins ever paid for the fireworks displays, I believe the local Loch Raven Kiwanis or Chamber of Commerce actually footed the bill for the fireworks. Just because they were shot from "Luskin's Hill" doesn't mean Jack had anything to do with them.

I've had good experiences with the Big Screen Store. I've bought 2 TV's from them over the past few years. The most recent was a new LED TV - they had a better price on the same TV than Best Buy did, delivered it and set it up for free, and hauled away the old projection TV that it replaced. Then called a few days later to ask if I was happy with the new TV.

Maybe Jack's kids have learned how NOT to run a business from the old man?