- - - - -

Luskins: The Big Screen Store

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

It is funny watching the old Jack Luskin family pitch their same crap on a new generation.

http://www.bizjourna.../07/story1.html

I have never been in there. Is it a good store?

#2 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

My father used to sell advertising to Jack Luskin and never liked it.

#3 John_Clark

John_Clark

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

The fact is that Luskin would buy truckloads of TV's from manufacturers, so many that they would put an extra number or letter on the model number of the product.

Their ads claimed that you would get a break if you could find the same model for a different price, however, since (insert lawyer language here) there was no Luskin's model number available at competitor's stores, they never had to honor the claim.

That's part of the reason why the FTC busted them years ago.

Cute, ain't it?

Luskins had a branch store in Bel Air many years ago. I walked in looking, and walked out really quick. I wouldn't buy a used Mr. Coffee from those guys, much less a high dollar TV.

#4 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

His daughter was connected with one of the major LA sports teams. Married/divorced from the owner?

#5 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,421 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

The fact is that Luskin would buy truckloads of TV's from manufacturers, so many that they would put an extra number or letter on the model number of the product.

Their ads claimed that you would get a break if you could find the same model for a different price, however, since (insert lawyer language here) there was no Luskin's model number available at competitor's stores, they never had to honor the claim.

That's part of the reason why the FTC busted them years ago.

Cute, ain't it?

Luskins had a branch store in Bel Air many years ago. I walked in looking, and walked out really quick. I wouldn't buy a used Mr. Coffee from those guys, much less a high dollar TV.

IF memory serves me, they also were heavy into "bait and switch" and a few times, customers discovered an entirely different (inferior) item was actually in the box, other than what was purported to be in it.

#6 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

Not good people

#7 mythoughts

mythoughts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,935 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

The name "Luskins " will always mean "bait and switch" to me - they actually made the term famous around here in the 70s and 80s
2009 is the International Year of Astronomy
Have you looked through a telescope this year ?

Saturday October 24, 2009 is Astronomy Day.
Consider visiting a local astronomy club/astronomical society, planetarium, or observatory to take a look at the sky through a telescope.

http://www.astroleag...y/astroday.html

#8 John Henneman

John Henneman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,345 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:18 AM

Jack Luskin used his advertising extortion to run the best Talk Show host in Baltimore Radio out of town,Since then Gene Burns went on to a very successful radio talk show host in Boston, Florida ,New York City and currently KGO-AM San Franscisco.

#9 John Henneman

John Henneman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,345 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:21 AM

Jack Luskin followed his friend Robert Irsay to Indianapolis. But the bait and switch retailer did not have much success in Indy and folded within a few years there!

#10 microg

microg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

Luskins may have had some issues but they were a local chain. Everyone seemed to either know Jack Luskin or know somebody who knew him.

#11 carlito

carlito

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:14 AM

The service was not good.

#12 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,816 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:22 AM

Who cares about the store. They had good fireworks in Towson :)
I'm a Legend in Japan

#13 landmarke

landmarke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:50 AM

That BizJournal article was written in 1996, and Big Screen Store has been around for years. Why are you discussing this now, am I missing something?

#14 One Party State

One Party State

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

I worked in the Luskin corportate office in Jessup in the late 70's early 80's. It was my first 'real' job. All I can say is that bait and switch is accurate as well as selling damage products from their warehouse that flooded every time it rained. Crooks. I had no idea that this store was theirs as well. Never been in one and now never will.

#15 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

That BizJournal article was written in 1996, and Big Screen Store has been around for years. Why are you discussing this now, am I missing something?

I just saw one of the annoying commercials and made a comment.

#16 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

His daughter was connected with one of the major LA sports teams. Married/divorced from the owner?

Yep, Jamie (Luskin) McCourt now owns half of the LA Dodgers.

#17 bystander

bystander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

They used to have a great fireworks display on July 4th. That's the nicest thing I can say about Luskins.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing ...

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
Thomas Jefferson

#18 baltbob21206

baltbob21206

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,143 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

Back in the 80's, used to work on the chiller in the building he had a penthouse in.
When it went down, seemed like his maid was the first to call!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It isn't about ETHNIC, its about ETHIC.
DEMS ON TAXES: You make it, we take it, everybody wins!:eek:

The ball is now squarely in the Democrats court. Show me.
No-one will rip the "S" off the O's shirt.
http://obamaclock.org/

US National Debt- http://zfacts.com/p/461.html Can we ever balance that? When The Bamster said "I Do" it was 10,676,763,787,462. 6 months in, $11,800,735,234,339. Golly, look at them numbers soar!!! (TRILLIONS)

There is nothing like the love of an Afghan Hound

#19 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,356 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

Who cares about the store. They had good fireworks in Towson :)

Hah! I was about to say the same thing. I remember taking my dad's beautiful Buick 225 convertible there to watch the fireworks to impress my gf one year. Never thought about the hot sparks that would rain down from the exploding fireworks. Put the top up to protect the interior and got several burn holes in the top instead. Boy was he pi$$ed - took me over a year to pay that off!

Jack Luskin defined the term "crook".

#20 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

They used to have a great fireworks display on July 4th. That's the nicest thing I can say about Luskins.

Yeah but true to form Jack seemed to buy the cheapest fireworks in town-I remember a number of short rounds and flaming shards descending on the crowd-great fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users