Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Ravens fans in SW Florida

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Purplehelmet

Purplehelmet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

I moved down here in '05 from Baltimore (Ft. Myers / Naples area) . Unless the Ravens are on national tv, I go to Miller's Ale house to watch the game. Anyway, when I first started going there to watch the games I was the only Ravens fan (this place hold close to 300 people). Now I am seeing more and more Ravens jerseys. My perception is that the Ravens are becoming more of a household name and some of these fans are hardcore and some are band wagon fans. On another note, I was sitting next to a Saints fan on Sunday and he said "*******...Ray Rice is a beast!" I just turned and smiled and said "yes he is, yes he is." BTW, I am trying to get a Ravens Roost or something like that started down here...if you know of any websites that could help out I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks in advance. BEAT DEM BROWNIES!

#2 PeterB58

PeterB58

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

Ravens Roosts: http://www.councilrr.com/index.aspx

Ravens Nests: http://www.ravensnests.com/

Instructions and contact info on how to start a new one are on both websites. Good luck!

#3 jdovi

jdovi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

i was in SFLA from 1996-2000. we used to go to the Davie Ale House to watch the games with no sound. there were 2 students from Baltimore who were getting their law degree in SFLA that we used to sit with. that was about it for ravens fans at that time.

#4 Strange Bru

Strange Bru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,146 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

I moved down here in '05 from Baltimore (Ft. Myers / Naples area) . Unless the Ravens are on national tv, I go to Miller's Ale house to watch the game. Anyway, when I first started going there to watch the games I was the only Ravens fan (this place hold close to 300 people). Now I am seeing more and more Ravens jerseys. My perception is that the Ravens are becoming more of a household name and some of these fans are hardcore and some are band wagon fans. On another note, I was sitting next to a Saints fan on Sunday and he said "*******...Ray Rice is a beast!" I just turned and smiled and said "yes he is, yes he is." BTW, I am trying to get a Ravens Roost or something like that started down here...if you know of any websites that could help out I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks in advance. BEAT DEM BROWNIES!

If everyone from Miami is from New York originally, I think the people who live on the west coast of Florida is mostly People from Baltimore (with a healthy sprinkling of Canadians). That could be the reason for the Baltimore Jerseys.

I lived in Port Charlotte and Orlando for a few years, and that is what it seems to me. From Tampa to Ft. Myers Beach it seems like I met a lot of fellow former Baltimorons, Orlando is a bunch of people from all over.

On top of that, Ray Lewis is from Lakeland FL, halfway between Tampa and Orlando, may also have something to do with it. As well as all of the former University of Miami players on the Ravens, if they are fans of the Hurricanes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GO RAVENS!!

#5 NICEVILLE RAVENSFAN

NICEVILLE RAVENSFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

I'm in NW FLA and I am about 300mi west of JAX, 200mi east of New Orleans and 300mi south of Hotlanta so as you can imagine I am definitely in the minority as a Ravens fan. This, however, does not deter me from proudly wearing my Ravens hat & shirts plus flying a Ravens car window flag. May we all, from wherever, enjoy the Ravens successful trip to Dallas in February.

#6 Purplehelmet

Purplehelmet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

If everyone from Miami is from New York originally, I think the people who live on the west coast of Florida is mostly People from Baltimore (with a healthy sprinkling of Canadians). That could be the reason for the Baltimore Jerseys.

I lived in Port Charlotte and Orlando for a few years, and that is what it seems to me. From Tampa to Ft. Myers Beach it seems like I met a lot of fellow former Baltimorons, Orlando is a bunch of people from all over.

On top of that, Ray Lewis is from Lakeland FL, halfway between Tampa and Orlando, may also have something to do with it. As well as all of the former University of Miami players on the Ravens, if they are fans of the Hurricanes.

Actually the majority of people down here are from the midwest...see alot of people from Ohio, Illinois, Mich., Wisconsin, etc...they far exceed people from the east coast, including Baltimore. Of course there are alot of Bostonians down here...alot, I think, has to do with the Red Sox having spring training in Ft. Myers. On another note, I was pee'd off when the O's decided to go to Sarasota instead of Ft. Myers for spring training.