102 replies to this topic

#1 MooGoo

MooGoo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,4180619.story

LOVE this idea. Especially the part about it upsets certain people because driving is an integral part of earning a living. Duh! same with paying your taxes.

Couple of questions, though:

1.) Will the illegals that flock to Maryland be excluded from this, so they can send all of the money back home via Western Union, not pay any taxes on it and STILL get driver's licenses like they do now?

2.) Will Religious people be exempt? I mean, they pay no taxes and yet they have driver's licenses.

Great idea, though.

#2 R686ST

R686ST

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Drivers licenses should only be suspended for reasons related to driving, period.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, the trouble is that they know so much that isn't so." (Ronald Reagan)

#3 BaltimoreGal

BaltimoreGal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

1.) Will the illegals that flock to Maryland be excluded from this, so they can send all of the money back home via Western Union, not pay any taxes on it and STILL get driver's licenses like they do now?

This law would not apply to illegal aliens (since most laws here in MD don't apply to illegal aliens anyway).

Illegal aliens will continue to flock to MD, they will continue to evade taxes, and these New Americans may possibly even get the perk of in-state tuition! Viva La Maryland!

Thank you O'Malley for allowing us middle class folks to work our fingers to the bone in order to aid & abet illegals in Maryland! Now can you please tell me how I can file for illegal alien status so I can stop paying those pesky taxes yet abuse taxpayer funded services? Sounds like a sweet deal and I want in on it.

#4 Jaz

Jaz

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

I guess its better than what the feds do, throw you in the slammer.

#5 Bianchi

Bianchi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Drivers licenses should only be suspended for reasons related to driving, period.

So booze is cool?

#6 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,597 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

I have a problem with this.

Taking ones abilty to renew their drivers licence and registration only enables them to make a living. And I agree that losing your license should only be related to breaking driving laws.

Now if the same applied to those that refuse to pay child support like its suppose to I would be okay with that, but thats not enforced either.

#7 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

This law would not apply to illegal aliens (since most laws here in MD don't apply to illegal aliens anyway).

Illegal aliens will continue to flock to MD, they will continue to evade taxes, and these New Americans may possibly even get the perk of in-state tuition! Viva La Maryland!

Thank you O'Malley for allowing us middle class folks to work our fingers to the bone in order to aid & abet illegals in Maryland! Now can you please tell me how I can file for illegal alien status so I can stop paying those pesky taxes yet abuse taxpayer funded services? Sounds like a sweet deal and I want in on it.

damn, can i also not pay taxes by claiming O'malleys New American protected status on my Maryland State tax form?

#8 Wired

Wired

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

damn, can i also not pay taxes by claiming O'malleys New American protected status on my Maryland State tax form?

Yes, if that'll turn your crank.

#9 midlife road

midlife road

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

[quote name='MooGoo']http://www.baltimore...0,4180619.story

2.) Will Religious people be exempt? I mean, they pay no taxes and yet they have driver's licenses.

Really? So do atheists and agnostics pay all the taxes around here?

#10 MooGoo

MooGoo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

[quote name='midlife road'][quote name='MooGoo']http://www.baltimore...0,4180619.story

Really? So do atheists and agnostics pay all the taxes around here?[/QUOTE]

I meant REAL Religions.;)

#11 baltbob21206

baltbob21206

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,143 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

A local radio commercial talks about 20% being uninsured and we have too much faith in our fellow man,

Think it may be higher then that, thanks to the State

Course, they also reap a profit too......
Esp in that Kangaroo Court called MVA hearings......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It isn't about ETHNIC, its about ETHIC.
DEMS ON TAXES: You make it, we take it, everybody wins!:eek:

The ball is now squarely in the Democrats court. Show me.
No-one will rip the "S" off the O's shirt.
http://obamaclock.org/

US National Debt- http://zfacts.com/p/461.html Can we ever balance that? When The Bamster said "I Do" it was 10,676,763,787,462. 6 months in, $11,800,735,234,339. Golly, look at them numbers soar!!! (TRILLIONS)

There is nothing like the love of an Afghan Hound

#12 Wizard777

Wizard777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,146 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

This is just plain stupid. It could end up costing more than it brings in. This could have a profound effect upon the economy. If someone works off a bus line. They could lose their job because they can nolonger drive to work. That will cost income taxes. Revoked registrations will cost the auto insurance industry revenue and reduce the taxes paid on the reduced revenue and on and on.

He should institute a Tax Amensty Program. Allow people to pay the original amount owed. No penalties or interest. That way he's not devistating Marylanders that are behind in their taxes in economically hard times.
Support The Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008 !
Marijuana Policy Project
We too have a dream. A dream in which we are judged by what we do instead of what we smoke. A dream in which we are not at "war" with a Government we would rather serve than fight. Everyone need somewhere to belong

#13 Wizard777

Wizard777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,146 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

I have a problem with this.

Taking ones abilty to renew their drivers licence and registration only enables them to make a living. And I agree that losing your license should only be related to breaking driving laws.

Now if the same applied to those that refuse to pay child support like its suppose to I would be okay with that, but thats not enforced either.

They do far worse. The court holds them hostage for ransom payments.
Marijuana Policy Project
We too have a dream. A dream in which we are judged by what we do instead of what we smoke. A dream in which we are not at "war" with a Government we would rather serve than fight. Everyone need somewhere to belong

#14 dogfish

dogfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,374 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:27 PM

Do you really think a tax scofflaw cares if he has a licence?

Just like all the drunk drivers who are still driving?

Just put them in Jail or home detention for a coupla years
Since 1999

#15 R686ST

R686ST

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

So booze is cool?

No......
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, the trouble is that they know so much that isn't so." (Ronald Reagan)

#16 John_Clark

John_Clark

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:20 AM

So booze is cool?

Drinking isn't illegal. Drinking and driving is.

#17 Wizard777

Wizard777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,146 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:44 AM

It's sound ideology, the numbers look good on paper and none of that will survive contact with reality. :D

Gas sales, car repairs, normal shoping and family activities will also suffer. This will do more to increase Virigina's revenue. Because that's where everyone will go to register their cars and renew their drivers license. :P

A year long Tax Amnesty Program is the way to go. :)
Marijuana Policy Project

#18 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:15 AM

So booze is cool?

If you drink and drive that is already illegal. Where have you been?

#19 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

I agree,there is already too much power at the MVA. Futher criminals don't care about laws,if they get there license suppended they will drive anyway. If you know any illegals you really don't know them,they rarely use their real name.

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,478 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

http://www.baltimore...0,4180619.story

LOVE this idea. Especially the part about it upsets certain people because driving is an integral part of earning a living. Duh! same with paying your taxes.

Couple of questions, though:

I think someone should inform you bozos that illegals can no longer get drivers licenses in the state of Maryland
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users