Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winning

Girls Basketball in A.A. County

4,178 posts in this topic

:) In an attempt to start a positive dialogue about Girls Basketball in A.A. County I am starting this thread. What's happening good in A.A. County Girls Basketball?

Who's doing camps and clinics trying to improve the quality of play in the County?

Southern just had a camp with over 50 girls and summer league is starting this week......

Southern just had a camp with over 50 girls and summer league is starting this week......

:) Great to hear! That's the kind of positive feedback that I am looking for.

There are so many negative threads about Girls BBall in A.A. County, that many believe no one cares about improving the caliber of play. Hopefully Southern will advertise their camp a little better in the future.

They had signs all throught south county, though girls from all over all welcome to attend./...

A couple questions to ponder:

1. How good of a coach is Weimer at Severna Park? In her first year, a deep Falcons' team was quite successful. Can she continue her success this year and possibly compete for a County Championship?

2. Klingel stepped down at South River and has handed the program over to a former assistant. The Seahawks have one of the top players in the area with Nucci. Can a first-year coach help her develope into a star?

3. Who's the next sensational freshman to come to Arundel? Not sure what coach Rogers is doing over there but does anyone else agree that he's breaking some kind of rule(s) by consistently landing these young prep standouts?

broadneck, annapolis, walt witman, kent island & huntingtown all taking part in navy team camp this weekend....... saw a few games... not bad considering that annapolis's team was made up of mostly JV players as well as broadneck the navy coaches and some players are doing a good JOb in teaching the game........

walt witman looked very strong as did a team from N.J.......

the teams from VA didn;t look to bad... kent Island looks to have it's whole program there both teams taking beating on the 1st day....... I do know that both annapolis and broadneck both have a least one win in day one... only three games were played friday.... GAMES resume SAT @ 11am

I think it's about ten teams :)

A couple questions to ponder:

1. How good of a coach is Weimer at Severna Park? In her first year, a deep Falcons' team was quite successful. Can she continue her success this year and possibly compete for a County Championship?

2. Klingel stepped down at South River and has handed the program over to a former assistant. The Seahawks have one of the top players in the area with Nucci. Can a first-year coach help her develope into a star?

3. Who's the next sensational freshman to come to Arundel? Not sure what coach Rogers is doing over there but does anyone else agree that he's breaking some kind of rule(s) by consistently landing these young prep standouts?

First on SP....I think they are a couple of years away from really having a solid program....I like what they are doing this summer, their JV Team in the County Summer League is deep although not stacked with great talent. It is the interest that impresses me. They have the Hoopsmart AAU program and the Green Hornet Rec program to use as feeders and if she stays involved year around the seeds of a championship can be planted.

On the South River situation, only time will tell, although it is hard to follow such a respected Coach.

As far as Arundel is concerned Rogers is Rogers. He actually missed out on great talent this year. A lot of it is going to Spalding. Rogers has made no secret of his key to success......he is constantly out looking at Rec and AAU teams and players from the ages of 8-12. He therefore knows who is in his feeder system years before they reach High School. And then he runs his Summer Clinics.

Southern has done it this year...and word is MYBA will do one in the Meade area also. It's within the rules, others just need to do the same things. :)

SP must handle teams that press better...

South River, does any school change coaches in more sports frequently than SR?

Dont hate Lee for winning.....He coaches a great style and if anyone was there illegally, they would have found it by now....

Girls also get to play summer inside......no rainouts.......boys at the deteriorating lake waterford......rained out thursday////

SP must handle teams that press better...

South River, does any school change coaches in more sports frequently than SR?

Dont hate Lee for winning.....He coaches a great style and if anyone was there illegally, they would have found it by now....

Girls also get to play summer inside......no rainouts.......boys at the deteriorating lake waterford......rained out thursday////

:) good point on the rainout! That's why I believe Girls Summer BBall will ultimately help improve BBall in AA County.

On the press situation...I lay that blame squarely at the alter of the Recs and Parks. Until they change their press rule for Rec ball young players that come to schools like SP will lack the foundation in breaking the press.

This has been a sore point for me for the last (7) years. I have seen teams go undefeated in the Rec League year after year because their opponents can't break a simple 1-3-1 press. There's no need to teach your team to break the press when you know your opponet must back up when the score is 10 or 15 above you. It's a crazy rule in the name of sportsmanship that retards the development of AA County Girl BBallers.

There was a question asked about new Freshman Talent.

Watching the Summer League, there appears to be some fair talent coming in. For instance, I like the big girl from Northeast (I don't know her name), but if she continues to develop she could be good by her 2nd year.

As stated in an earlier post...Severna Parks JV looks impressive, not sure how many Freshman... 2 years away.

There was a incoming Freshman with Meade the other night who was guarding Lilly (SP) for a while......now Lilly did take it to her, but the 8th grader never backed up and showed no fear. She was scheduled to go to Palioti, but is going to Meade in the IB Program, her name is Davis...also 2 years away.

As we all know Arundel is Arundel...what can I say.

Clearly Chamblis of Meade is the standout Sophmore, if used properly by her Coach she could be another Anna Baker. Dixon of Meade lacks the size inside, but she is a rebounding phenom!

Of course Salisbury from Old Mill looked good the other night as a sophomore playing with the Varsity, but lacks size.

Hailey at North County as a Junior could be impressive if she decides to take BBall over Softball. Taylor the NC point guard could make a lot of noise if she remains focused, but also is a Junior.

Not sure on the others, but the true talent to watch is still a year away from High School....her name is Maya Butler and she plays for Hoopsmart...if she continues to develop and goes to Annapolis she could be a young Mugsy Boggs in the making.

Coach Zivic will do a great job at South River. After 6 years in the program and taking the athletic director position it is just too much. Coach Zivic has handled all of the defensive/offensive gameplan. Zivic was the brains behind the good looks of the head coach:) I will also not be leaving so it is not the changing of the guard like you suggest pete. He has a talanted team coming back that should be hungry after the tailwhippin they received from Old Mill.

Also the turnover rate in high school athletics is huge these days. It is a tremendous time committment to put in for all of the hastles that the job intales. It is not just a South River problem.

David Klingel

Athletic Director

South River High School

Coach Zivic will do a great job at South River. After 6 years in the program and taking the athletic director position it is just too much. Coach Zivic has handled all of the defensive/offensive gameplan. Zivic was the brains behind the good looks of the head coach:) I will also not be leaving so it is not the changing of the guard like you suggest pete. He has a talanted team coming back that should be hungry after the tailwhippin they received from Old Mill.

Also the turnover rate in high school athletics is huge these days. It is a tremendous time committment to put in for all of the hastles that the job intales. It is not just a South River problem.

David Klingel

Athletic Director

South River High School

Coach, thanks for your post.....this is the kind of stuff I want to see on this thread...positive stuff that builds Girls BBall in AA County.

and as someone who has coached against the kids in your feeder systems for years, I know of the other elements you have to deal with outside of coaching your kids......

If the Board would treat emergency coaches better,I think you would have more longevity in some cases...some of us have coached for many years and teams where we didnt have kids involved.....We like to coach....and we also dont have to lesson plan for the next day.......:)

Just remember it KEN B. DUNN

If you aren't sure what he is doing why not just say he is developing some standout players and leave it at that. Your question was extremely disrespectful towards a man that works very hard at his job and does it well. If you don't have any concrete evidence to take to the board - STFU!! As much as people complain about Coach and his tactics, if he were doing anything illegal they would have buried him by now. You also insinuate that Bernie Walters in is position as AD over there is asleep at the wheel. Bad question striker.

If you aren't sure what he is doing why not just say he is developing some standout players and leave it at that. Your question was extremely disrespectful towards a man that works very hard at his job and does it well. If you don't have any concrete evidence to take to the board - STFU!! As much as people complain about Coach and his tactics, if he were doing anything illegal they would have buried him by now. You also insinuate that Bernie Walters in is position as AD over there is asleep at the wheel. Bad question striker.

:( Old School I believe I responded to Strikers question in a positive and constructive manner. Let's try to keep things upbeat on this thread.....

Those of us to know and talk to Rogers on a regular basis get that question about recruiting constantly. Therefore we take it in stride.

The facts are the facts....give people the facts calmly without emotion and we help all the programs in the County. Trust me Lee has some faults (don't we all), but recruiting is not one of them.

The truth if the matter is, School Feeder lines have a lot to do with the talent imbalance...case in point, did you know that students who live (2) blocks from Meade HS must go to Old Mill. Nicole Dixon, Meade Forward Freshman from last year, if she lived on the other side of the street (50 ft away) she would be at Old Mill. Also there is a very promising 8th grader who is playing on the Old Mill Summer League team who lives 5 minutes from Arundel...she must attend Old Mill next year. Of course there is also the very promising Guard who has spent 5 years developing her skills in the Meade feeder program who now will be overshadowed at Arundel.

So you see it all balances out...the question will be what will each program do with the advantage it has gained or lost.!

Rogers because he got out and saw these players for the last several years knew he was losing the Old Mill kid and that he was gaining the Meade kid......illegal - no .......competitve - yes!!!!!!

My hat is off to Tonya Hill and the folks over at Northeast. They are trying very hard to increase the interest in Girls BBall in that area.

They know they have a ways to go, but I applaud their determination and effort.

I'm not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, but when you mention the "they" that would have buried him by now, who are you referring to? Bernie? Other county coaches? The media? The school board?

And for the record, Bernie is anything but asleep at the wheel. I'm not going to make any direct accusations about recruiting, but Tito (not sure last of his name) from this year's baseball club -- his parents live in Florida. Corey Overholtzer, a standout from the 2006 state championship team, is from and has always lived in Frederick, Md. -- look at his college bio. Just the facts, jack.

Like everyone, I want to keep this thread positive, but the questions still linger. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

Winning,

This thread is excellent dialogue.. keep up the good work.. somebody is gotta get these up & coming talented ballers names out there.. it could potentially pay off ($$$) in the long run...:) and the respect is mutual.. and I'll be watching this talent closely this season..

But how can a question that calls into question a man's integrity be positive? And yes all those (Bernie Walters, county coaches, the school board and the media) would have buried him a long time ago if he were doing something illegal. I thought the thread was going great until that question. No hard feelings?

They had signs all throught south county, though girls from all over all welcome to attend./...

How well was it advertised throughout Anne Arundel Co. I would've liked to send my daughters.

David Klingel

Athletic Director

South River High School

Coach thanks for the post. You are arguably the best coach in AA Co. High School BBall. I encourage you to continue working with ALL the girls in AA Co. The whole county could benefit from a guy with your qualities as a teacher of the game of basketball. Any camps scheduled for this summer???

Dave, maybe I'm giving you too many kudos since Coach Zivic was the REAL x's & o's behind the scenes guy. :)

I'm not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, but when you mention the "they" that would have buried him by now, who are you referring to? Bernie? Other county coaches? The media? The school board?

And for the record, Bernie is anything but asleep at the wheel. I'm not going to make any direct accusations about recruiting, but Tito (not sure last of his name) from this year's baseball club -- his parents live in Florida. Corey Overholtzer, a standout from the 2006 state championship team, is from and has always lived in Frederick, Md. -- look at his college bio. Just the facts, jack.

Like everyone, I want to keep this thread positive, but the questions still linger. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

The problem is... The thread is about girl's basketball. Coach Rogers has never had an illegal player on his roster. Why would you insinuate that he's "breaking rules?" Could it be true that along with success comes a litany of accussations? Also, I believe the "they" applies to all of the above. You can bet your farm that if he was doing things illegal we'd all know about it. This is still AA Co and last I checked this is America. Coach Rogers is not above and beyond the harshest scrutiny. He's well respected in the state of Maryland and across the country and villianized in his own backyard of AA Co. Give the man his due.

This thread is about the players and play on the court...The great thing about the suns forums is we have a place for discussion.....

Illegal players, recruiting....thats a different thread than the one winning started here......

and for the record....its Bernie Walter.....not Walters....no relation to Barbara...

by the way starting today Im doing the 5:00 all sports page on 1430-AM WNAV.....we will include as many results as the County can give us on the summer league........

Good coaches have good players and I have had the honor to coach many great basketball players.

We have a good number of good coaches in the county.

One that nobody talks about is John Spinnenwebber. I always hate playing his teams because they are prepared. He knows the game and when he has the players his teams are good.

The other thing that makes a good program is the assistant coaches. Look at the successful teams and I am sure their assistants are very knowledgeable and work hard. I know that is the case for South River. Coach Rogers has coach mcgowan, baker, and bridgett. The consistency is what makes programs good unless it is negative consistency.

Linda has Wells at Southern and Craig has Rick at Old Mill.

Those were the top 4 teams in the county last season.

Most of the all-county selections were juniors and sophomores last season which should make for and interesting season in 07-08.

David Klingel

Athletic Director

South River High School

Coach Klingle,

What do you think about ALL County Coaches Focus group with a charter of establishing an elite league or teams a la the soccer and lax programs? If that's a little to ambitious, what about a few joint clinics throughout the summer and fall??? I think the girls would benefit from this. Also, what are your thoughts of the impact on school redistricting??

Again, sorry to see you leave the bench.:)