Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winning

Girls Basketball in A.A. County

4,178 posts in this topic

What do you think about an ALL AA County HS Coaches Focus Group with a charter of establishing an elite league or teams a la the soccer and lax programs? If that's a little to ambitious, what about a few joint clinics throughout the summer and fall??? I think the girls would benefit from this. Also, what are your thoughts of the impact on school redistricting??

This thread is about the players and play on the court...The great thing about the suns forums is we have a place for discussion.....

Illegal players, recruiting....thats a different thread than the one winning started here......

and for the record....its Bernie Walter.....not Walters....no relation to Barbara...

by the way starting today Im doing the 5:00 all sports page on 1430-AM WNAV.....we will include as many results as the County can give us on the summer league........

Great Pete :). Hopefully parks and Rec's will be able to provide scores in a timely matter, if not hopefully posters will post the scores here, and you will be able to pull them.

Again, anything to build a positive interest in AA County Girls BBall will help!

In an attempt to get as much information as possible, and of course acknowledging that I don't know all of the talent in the County; I would like to if possible go School by School and see if you guys can put some names with faces.

Let's start with South River.... obviously everyone knows Nuncci, but I saw a couple of players last week who impressed me. There was a wing player and a forward.

Can we get some names and Summer league numbers so we can follow them?

Practice will be at Southside Academy 2700 Seamon Ave, Baltimore, MD 21225Bloomsburg University Team Camp 20,21,22 July 07

Practice

Tues 26 June 07 6:30 pm

Tues 3 July 07 6:30 pm

Thurs 12 July 07 6:30 pm

Mon 16 July 07 6:30 pm

If you know of anyone interested in participating pass this on.

Thanks,

Lee R. Carter

410-258-2457

But how can a question that calls into question a man's integrity be positive? And yes all those (Bernie Walters, county coaches, the school board and the media) would have buried him a long time ago if he were doing something illegal. I thought the thread was going great until that question. No hard feelings?

Old School -- no hard feelings at all. You guys are right. There's another time and place to talk about that kind of stuff.

As for naming some upcoming/returning talent in the county, let me give a good crack at it...

SR -- no doubt about Nucci. Ashley Wagner (Sr.) is a swift guard that can handle the ball. The pair will be a one-two punch. Don't want to leave out Ali Mattingly down low.

SP -- Lilley may challenge Nucci as the top player in the league. They lost some senior talent but look out for Anna Patterson, also a lacrosse standout.

AN -- Kamyiah Surgeon, if she can stay out of trouble, will be very exciting to watch. An amazing first step. She can take over a game. They also return Jessica Reagans and Erin Townley, who have each been on varsity since freshman year I think.

AR -- Egwu is queen and Ayanna Randolph can get the ball to her. Ashley Davis is a rising star and the Vails girl will get her footing down this year.

SO -- Not sure how long Kil is going to be around but I know she isn't going to miss the senior year for the Schneck twins. The team did lose its backcourt (Wiseman and Beall) and that's where they may struggle.

In an attempt to get as much information as possible, and of course acknowledging that I don't know all of the talent in the County; I would like to if possible go School by School and see if you guys can put some names with faces.

Let's start with South River.... obviously everyone knows Nuncci, but I saw a couple of players last week who impressed me. There was a wing player and a forward.

Can we get some names and Summer league numbers so we can follow them?

I didn't see them in action but Wagner is probably the wing player you're referring to.

SO-God Bless Kil...she has done a wonderful job for many years...including the years where the feeder system went down for the count....however, many of Terrell Jones' girls are getting there now and there are at least two ninth graders that with Kil's toutoring could be varsity contributors their first year.....The gap between Fred Booze's girls and Terrell's left a hug void for a few years....

Old School -- no hard feelings at all. You guys are right. There's another time and place to talk about that kind of stuff.

As for naming some upcoming/returning talent in the county, let me give a good crack at it...

SR -- no doubt about Nucci. Ashley Wagner (Sr.) is a swift guard that can handle the ball. The pair will be a one-two punch. Don't want to leave out Ali Mattingly down low.

SP -- Lilley may challenge Nucci as the top player in the league. They lost some senior talent but look out for Anna Patterson, also a lacrosse standout.

AN -- Kamyiah Surgeon, if she can stay out of trouble, will be very exciting to watch. An amazing first step. She can take over a game. They also return Jessica Reagans and Erin Townley, who have each been on varsity since freshman year I think.

AR -- Egwu is queen and Ayanna Randolph can get the ball to her. Ashley Davis is a rising star and the Vails girl will get her footing down this year.

SO -- Not sure how long Kil is going to be around but I know she isn't going to miss the senior year for the Schneck twins. The team did lose its backcourt (Wiseman and Beall) and that's where they may struggle.

WoW!! you guys left off the 4A Regional Champs..:confused: that tells you alot about AA County bball.. By far, the top players in the AA league are the 3-to-4 at Arundel, Lilley and maybe Nucci.. Again, take away the padded numbers and politics :rolleyes: and Lilley or Davis walks with AA Co. POY last year.. or if nothing else give it to A. Queen because she helped her team the most, and they went to UMBC. Because this league is so weak in girls bball, why you think all that young talent is shooting over to Spalding.. :confused: it will come down to Arundel vs. anybody wanting #2.. I think someone said it awhile back, some hoop dreams will end after high school, so right now this is all recreational. I hate to appear harsh but I think AA really needs to look outside of AA at the game of basketball. If the best team is having probs with PG/Balt/Mont.. can you imagine what would happen to the rest. We all appreciate the publicity about AA but don't get beside yourselves.. but this is a AA county only thread..:)

Old Mill is going to be good again.

WOW! I am a politician and pad stats. That is pretty good representation of me and my player. This is how I started reading this site. One of my players said it said I was unprepared for a team. It amazes me that people can bash people without saying who they are.

To quote Herman Edwards

"You think you know but you just don't know"

For the recored, Jaclyn Nucci did not play in any game when we were up by 20 or more points in the second half. That is a personal rule. I think after xmas everybody knew who she was and still had trouble stopping her. It says alot for her because we don't have any set plays for her. She does not need set plays. Our two guards(Lawrence and Wagner) are pretty savy and know when to get shots for her.

Stop picking on 16-17 year old girls. Any kid that steps out on the floor earns my respect.

AA county basketball should be competitive next year but needs to improve vastly before they can play with er and montgomery county.

I do believe AA sent at least two to the state final four last year..............

4A schools are pretty much guarenteed a spot because the region consists of AA county and Thomas Stone, and Leonardtown.

WoW!! you guys left off the 4A Regional Champs..:confused: that tells you alot about AA County bball.. By far, the top players in the AA league are the 3-to-4 at Arundel, Lilley and maybe Nucci.. Again, take away the padded numbers and politics :rolleyes: and Lilley or Davis walks with AA Co. POY last year.. or if nothing else give it to A. Queen because she helped her team the most, and they went to UMBC. Because this league is so weak in girls bball, why you think all that young talent is shooting over to Spalding.. :confused: it will come down to Arundel vs. anybody wanting #2.. I think someone said it awhile back, some hoop dreams will end after high school, so right now this is all recreational. I hate to appear harsh but I think AA really needs to look outside of AA at the game of basketball. If the best team is having probs with PG/Balt/Mont.. can you imagine what would happen to the rest. We all appreciate the publicity about AA but don't get beside yourselves.. but this is a AA county only thread..:)

Wow, this one is interesting... Did I miss something. What is this in response to? Who was getting beside themselves?

WOW! I am a politician and pad stats. That is pretty good representation of me and my player. This is how I started reading this site. One of my players said it said I was unprepared for a team. It amazes me that people can bash people without saying who they are.

To quote Herman Edwards

For the recored, Jaclyn Nucci did not play in any game when we were up by 20 or more points in the second half. That is a personal rule. I think after xmas everybody knew who she was and still had trouble stopping her. It says alot for her because we don't have any set plays for her. She does not need set plays. Our two guards(Lawrence and Wagner) are pretty savy and know when to get shots for her.

Stop picking on 16-17 year old girls. Any kid that steps out on the floor earns my respect.

AA county basketball should be competitive next year but needs to improve vastly before they can play with er and montgomery county.

Coach,

With all due respect, you may NOT have designed plays for her. However, let's not degrade or misrepresent the facts. On several occasions she went coast-to-coast, spinning, weaving, spinning again and wiggling her way down the lane for a patented Nucci bucket. Its great stuff and she did it without you having to call it out for the rest of the gym because everyone in a Seahawks uniform was well aware of what was going on. And after 2 or 3 games of observing so did I. :)

as coach has said... this year in A.A. county girls basketball it should be a VERY interesting year with just about everyone having a player to watch............

Ann- Reagans,Pinkney, Townely & Surgeon

Arun- Randolph, Davis, Vails & Egwu

Broa- N/A

Chesa- Has a pretty good post player

G.B- n/a

Meade- Galloway AND the little soph. guard

N.C- eldrige will lead them

N.E- wing player that wears #30 for their summer team will be a hand full for teams

S.P- lilly and company will be tough

Southern- THE TWINS and a very good young post player and a rising Jr. guard that played very well in the 2a championship game before fouling out.

South River- Nucci,Wanger and Mattingly WILL GIVE TEAMS FITS ALL SEASON.

O.M- Queen , AND a young quick guard that has the heart of a lion......... she wears #20 for their summer team

:)

To quote Herman Edwards

Coach for the record, this thread was not the one with the negative comments....we are trying to raise the positive image of AA County Girls BBall....that's why we value your imput. :)

As far as overlooking OM....guys remember I was going to go school by school, and there was no way we would miss Queen, Guyton and Company.

:D Once again guys, the purpose of this thread is to highlight A.A. County Girls BBall....for better or worse.

There are enough threads out there that highlight the other Counties.....so let's see if we can stick to the facts about A.A. County Ball.

Comparisons don't help at this stage!!!!

And for the record....several of the players that are going to Spaulding are not going for the BBall alone.

Coach,

With all due respect, you may NOT have designed plays for her. However, let's not degrade or misrepresent the facts. On several occasions she went coast-to-coast, spinning, weaving, spinning again and wiggling her way down the lane for a patented Nucci bucket. Its great stuff and she did it without you having to call it out for the rest of the gym because everyone in a Seahawks uniform was well aware of what was going on. And after 2 or 3 games of observing so did I. :)

Didn't mean to ruffle the Seahawk feathers.. but I call it the way I see it.. and my cybershield will come down soon.. stay tuned.. the above bold would only happen in AA co.. Old Mill and Arundel put that on lock.. wasn't bashing your player.. she's not bad for AA.. but nothing done outside the county.. this is the message I'm pushing.. take these girls out of AA, play in a Baltimore City league, get better and stronger and see what's up.. As with the SR and ST. Frances scrimmages the past two seasons, not even close or within 30pts.. however, there are some talented ballers in AA, but don't settle and use AA Co. as your measure.. you'll stay behind..

Okay this is what I have so far:

South River: Nuncci, Wagner, Mattingly

Southern: The Schneik Twins

SP: Lilly

Old Mill: Queen, Guyton, #20-Salisbury

Ann: Reagan, Pinkney, Townley,Surgeon

Northeast - #30 ?

Meade: Galloway, Chamblis, Dixon

North County: Eldridge, Taylor (PG from last year JV)

Arundel: Randolph, Davis, Vails, Egwu, E. Jones

Glen Burnie: Williams and the PG from last year

Ches: ????

If someone knows the name of #20 on the Broadneck JV I will add her to the list, the way she has been dropping 3's in the Summer League. :)

This is just the first list.....what do you guys think?

To quote Herman Edwards

Not only was Nucci far and away the best player in the county last year, she was also the most improved player. Gotta agree with Coach . Never saw any point padding here but did see it on other squads (can you spell wildcats).

Spalding? St. Marys? Severn? how are they looking

:) Great request!

So far Spaulding appears to be on the road to something good. With Brinkley (I believe that's her name) returning and I believe Mann (not sure if she graduated), they could be steady. But they do have a future with young players coming in like Swinson, Morrison, and Girly...plus Janey from last year. WOW!!!

St. Mary's....not sure. They normally have a team in the County summer League but passed this year.

Severn...good guards (Aura etc.), but I plan to see them this week, and will give a better assessment.

Anyone else with an opinion?

Not only was Nucci far and away the best player in the county last year, she was also the most improved player. Gotta agree with Coach . Never saw any point padding here but did see it on other squads (can you spell wildcats).

Every politician has a few lobbyist hanging around.. again, the kid is okay for AA Co.. & most improved player was more warranted.. but outside or even against the other two (OM/Arundel), she was a non-factor.. I remember reading she recorded 16 or 18 freebie's from the line last year against Arundel. which leaves 2 or 3 field goals the entire game to equal 22pts.. Is this real.. Who wouldn't look like the best player against NE/Chesapeake/NC.. etc.. if they were a one-player show.. again, call it the way it is.. put her on a team with ballers, and she's a non-factor.. AAU season proved that.. saw numerous games where AA Co. POY was non existent.. :confused: If AA Co. gets away from the political system of who scores the most.. (glad to see the NBA got away from it when David Robinson scored 71pts in the final game to win league MVP). and use a better system.. then her name isn't mentioned in equation.. SR could still win games without her, if they gave the others a chance.. but some programs would be lost without their key players.. ;)

:) Great request!

So far Spaulding appears to be on the road to something good. With Brinkley (I believe that's her name) returning and I believe Mann (not sure if she graduated), they could be steady. But they do have a future with young players coming in like Swinson, Morrison, and Girly...plus Janey from last year. WOW!!!

St. Mary's....not sure. They normally have a team in the County summer League but passed this year.

Severn...good guards (Aura etc.), but I plan to see them this week, and will give a better assessment.

Anyone else with an opinion?

St Mary's gets Melanie Mocniack (#41 from the Waves) 5'11 has a sweet outside shot , can finish post moves with either hand , and deadly from the foul line. If they have anyone that can get her the ball in scoring position she'll get her 10ppg . A tad slow on D but has really improved. A great choice by her parents to move her to the Waves last summer . It has really paid off.

Every politician has a few lobbyist hanging around.. again, the kid is okay for AA Co.. & most improved player was more warranted.. but outside or even against the other two (OM/Arundel), she was a non-factor.. I remember reading she recorded 16 or 18 freebie's from the line last year against Arundel. which leaves 2 or 3 field goals the entire game to equal 22pts.. Is this real.. Who wouldn't look like the best player against NE/Chesapeake/NC.. etc.. if they were a one-player show.. again, call it the way it is.. put her on a team with ballers, and she's a non-factor.. AAU season proved that.. saw numerous games where AA Co. POY was non existent.. :confused: If AA Co. gets away from the political system of who scores the most.. (glad to see the NBA got away from it when David Robinson scored 71pts in the final game to win league MVP). and use a better system.. then her name isn't mentioned in equation.. SR could still win games without her, if they gave the others a chance.. but some programs would be lost without their key players.. ;)

I've seen lots of Nucci, Davis and Lilly. Put my money on Nucci. Having a strong supporting cast sure doesn't hurt. While Nucci draws double and triple teams Davis certainly does not. She has to 2 8 footers and Randolph to help her out. And Lilly has Acton. You for some reason, have a chip on your shoulder regarding Nucci.

FYI, I've never met the SR coach so I have no reason to lobby for him or Nucci. I just think she's a good kid and I enjoy watching her play.

:mad: Look guys, at the risk of revealing my ID, I will just say my involvement with HS Athletics began 35 years ago. At that time Football was my thing, and we had a Senior Wide Receiver who I felt would be good at the next level....his name, Eddie Jordan. Jordan also played BBall, but he wasn't the best player in the area at the time (that honor went to Adrian Dantley), heck he wasn't even the leading scorer on the team (that honor went to a guy by the name of Daniels). But Rutgers saw something in him that we didn't and the rest is history.

What did Rutgers see? HE WAS COACHABLE!!!!!!!!

Look when we talk about talent in this County...quess what? The best athlete isn't even mentioned in the above list...Arielle Eldridge - North County.....reason, its believed that she isn't Coachable.

Each program in the County has talent to fit it's program. There are players who could play for Rogers at Arundel who couldn't play for Coach Dave at SR and vice versa. The true measure of a POY is what she brings to her PROGRAM!!!

Nunci appears to be Coachable...and regardless of how she fared on a team full of stars, I'm sure that there is a College Program somewhere that will value her service.

As for the talent in other areas....Look I have one or two nets hanging in my Trophy Case, and I have left one or two hanging on the rim, reason.... I refused to put the best athlete on the floor because of my belief that there is life beyond BBall and sometimes those kids aren't Coachable beyond the HS level. Theodore Roosevelt in DC had a team full of them several years ago......where are they now.

Except for Demauria Lyles how many of those players from those great Riverdale Baptist teams have names we still can remember? This is A.A. County, trust me Colleges know what they are getting when they come here!