Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winning

Girls Basketball in A.A. County

4,178 posts in this topic

St Mary's gets Melanie Mocniack (#41 from the Waves) 5'11 has a sweet outside shot , can finish post moves with either hand , and deadly from the foul line. If they have anyone that can get her the ball in scoring position she'll get her 10ppg . A tad slow on D but has really improved. A great choice by her parents to move her to the Waves last summer . It has really paid off.

:) Yes! Yes! I remember this kid......I really like her. She has the potential to do good things in the future. Does anyone know what else St. Marys may have?

You for some reason, have a chip on your shoulder regarding Nucci. FYI, I've never met the SR coach so I have no reason to lobby for him or Nucci. I just think she's a good kid and I enjoy watching her play.

Again, I think the kid is a great kid.. but before you all start the Nucci campaign this year, open your eyes and watch the other talent around the league and see the player that makes the biggest impact to the league and/or her team, make a honest evaluation at the end, and you'll see what I'm talking about.. it could be Arielle. plus what a way to give the other SR players no credit..

Winning, we agree.. coachability is a factor.. but there are so many others.. I wish them all well but just like history, so many will get left behind.. why? :confused: Here is your AA Co. next level ballers list the past 4yrs. and you say the scouts know about AA Co.. what scouts and when they come to AA? when Arundel invites them.. The list would even be shorter, if I didn't include the DIII and CC programs..

although, I didn't include Spalding.. Feel free to add, but I'm sure this is pretty accurate.. it may help promote AA Co. ball.

SR - Moreland

Severn - Bri

Old Mill - Watkins

Annap - Parker

Chesapeake - Spinneweber (lacrosse) ???

Arundel - Mcquire, Baker, Vails, Ramsey, Dobbins, Butler, Brownlee

Meade - ???

North County - ???

NE - ???

Southern - ???

How do you raise the level of play.. HS coaches need to get more involved with your players individual and off season programs and workouts.. There is no reason, AA Co girls bball can't get on the same level as boys bball, baseball, soccer & lacrosse. You bet those hs baseball and lacrosse coaches know what their players are doing off season. Ensuring those with next level potential are getting the needed work. There isn't enough of that going on with girls bball, beside one, two or three (AR/SR/Southern).. it probably doesn't exist. Develop the raw talent, teach the fundamentals, correct the flaws and instill the will to compete, then you have a county that will draw outside respect.. Sounds like Arundel is the only one onboard with this developmental program.. that's prob why there next level list is the longest.. I support what "Winning" is trying to do because it is his group that is the future of AA ball.. just soliciting support for the hs programs, that continiously close there gym doors on these players when they are trying to get better.. I've seen bball all over the country and would say AA has a few jewels hidden but the overall level lessens the value unless the jewel can make it to the main store.. (UMBC).. that will be the only time its recognized..

Go out west/midwest/southeast/northeast or even mid-atlantic and there girls bball games are like Friday night lights.. it's a serious game outside of AA..

The problem with a lot of schools is the better girls athletes are playing soccer and or lacrosse as well and play those equally if not more during the summer when warm weather promotes opportunities to play.

The Maryland rules governing out of season coaching are absurd...This is 2007

Having talked with a number of coaches on the college level, here are some of the reasons why they say they can't get some of the better talent in AA>......

1. They play another sport

2. Love the kids, the parent (or parents) are a nightmare to deal with

3. Not big enough or strong enough or quick enough to play at the D-I level....

4. Grades.....Grades......Grades.......Grades.........Grades.......

A lot of good maryland talent gets left at home because of Grades......Grades......Grades......

1) HoopSmart and the Hornets send those kids to Severn and St. Mary's. Nobody there has developed any talent for SPHS for 4 years. Sorry.

2) Kudos to Dave Klingle for sharing credit with his staff.

3) Another high school assistant out there has helped develop talent that has gone to McDaniel (Acton, Snoops. etc) and also helped generate D1 and D3 interest in one of the MOST COACHABLE kids around- Nucci.

4) AA County needs to keep there kids in an organization like the Hurricanes WITH OPEN TRYOUTS! No politics, no high school development plan, no promises other than THE BEST 12 play. This year alone:

#1 Lilley

#2 Schneck, K

#3 Nucci

#4 Scheck, H

#5 Weiczorek

for starters could have beaten any 16 year old team out there- including the 4 Time Defending- yahda, yahda- who never had to beat anyone.

Big problem here- trust me- chemistry! "Playing up" mistakes in previous year, selection process in the the "Dream Team" could have been formed, and many others.

Through it all, the "Hurricanes" E-mail opens doors for these type of players- SHOULD THEY WANT IT MORE THAN THE PARENTS!!!!

Once again....I am hoping that this thread is used to highlight up and coming talent in A.A. County.

When I said earlier that Colleges know what they get when they come here, I'm not just talking BBall Scouts. Pete is right....many AA County players do play mutiple sports and grades do effect others.....some cases to ponder:

Allison Carter - Meade - UMBC chose Field Hockey over BBall, had offer in both, will do Bball this year.

Tammy Webster - Meade - Trinity - Field Hockey and BBall.

Loraine Mckinney - Meade - NC A&T - grades prevented play until this coming year, will play BBall.

Sparkle Williamson - Meade - Va. State - grades prevented play until this coming year, will play BBall.

Simone Jones - Meade - had offers from Villa Julia, turned them down...chose UM has 3.5 GPA and may walk on this year.

This is just one school....I'm sure if we wanted to continue along this note, that others could provide the same kind of list from other schools. But I want to look forward :).

The play in A.A. County is what it is.....some of us will continue to try and make it better.

The problem with a lot of schools is the better girls athletes are playing soccer and or lacrosse as well and play those equally if not more during the summer when warm weather promotes opportunities to play.

The Maryland rules governing out of season coaching are absurd...This is 2007

Having talked with a number of coaches on the college level, here are some of the reasons why they say they can't get some of the better talent in AA>......

1. The play another sport

2. Love the kids, the parent (or parents) are a nightmare to deal with

3. Not big enough or strong enough or quick enough to play at the D-I level....

4. Grades.....Grades......Grades.......Grades.........Grades.......

A lot of good maryland talent gets left at home because of Grades......Grades......Grades......

I couldn't agree with you more, especially #3 & #4.. If you all would go back and read some of my previous postings, you would see that I'm be saying that all along..

Once again....I am hoping that this thread is used to highlight up and coming talent in A.A. County.

When I said earlier that Colleges know what they get when they come here, I'm not just talking BBall Scouts. Pete is right....many AA County players do play mutiple sports and grades do effect others.....some cases to ponder:

Allison Carter - Meade - UMBC chose Field Hockey over BBall, had offer in both, will do Bball this year.

Tammy Webster - Meade - Trinity - Field Hockey and BBall.

Loraine Mckinney - Meade - NC A&T - grades prevented play until this coming year, will play BBall.

Sparkle Williamson - Meade - Va. State - grades prevented play until this coming year, will play BBall.

Simone Jones - Meade - had offers from Villa Julia, turned them down...chose UM has 3.5 GPA and may walk on this year.

This is just one school....I'm sure if we wanted to continue along this note, that others could provide the same kind of list from other schools. But I want to look forward :).

Winning - I'm on your side.. but you went back deep to find these 5.. plus you just don't walk on UM.. unless you're super special.. and Brenda missed you during the evaluation process. This thread whether negative or positive can only give these ballers/parents some insight on the history of AA Co. bball and what it takes to go next level.. I love what "Pete' just wrote.. this is probably the most valuable piece of information on this thread..

Winning - I'm on your side.. but you went back deep to find these 5.. plus you just don't walk on UM.. unless you're super special.. and Brenda missed you during the evaluation process. This thread whether negative or positive can only give these ballers/parents some insight on the history of AA Co. bball and what it takes to go next level.. I love what "Pete' just wrote.. this is probably the most valuable piece of information on this thread..

:) I did go deep!!!

And on the Jones kid she was missed in the evauation process, and has had one or two conversations with Brenda. I have advised her against trying as I am a believer in understanding where your true potential lays. The offer was compliment enough!

By the way guys....I am talking far to much on this thread.....come on A.A. County Girls BBall fans SPEAK UP!!!!!!!!!

Winning,

It's funny how things are coming "full circle".. I sent you the below two months ago in the AAU thread.. and it applies to AA Co. as well..

"Winning..

You're right knowledge and understanding the recruiting game is power.. the problem the area lacks is knowledgeable people of the recruiting process.. look at some of the ballers that have gone on to the next level, DI or DII.. and who was in their corner and then look at the ballers that haven't or needed prep help.. Having some recruiting knowledge in their corner could have prevented the collaspe of hoop dreams and even help some.. I'm the biggest advocate of classroom first, court second.. you do my school no good if you are not eligible to play.. wasted funds..

I'll continue to share discussion on recruiting tidbits to help all that want to get there.. college coaches look for coachable, hard working athletes that have future potential.. you can't take practices or games off.. no in betweens.. meet these three basic requirements and you have an excellent opportunity of going next level.. somewhere..

This tidbit was worth mentioning again.. cause some youngster or parent can learn from it.. I did!!

Again, I think the kid is a great kid.. but before you all start the Nucci campaign this year, open your eyes and watch the other talent around the league and see the player that makes the biggest impact to the league and/or her team, make a honest evaluation at the end, and you'll see what I'm talking about.. it could be Arielle. plus what a way to give the other SR players no credit..

Winning, we agree.. coachability is a factor.. but there are so many others.. I wish them all well but just like history, so many will get left behind.. why? :confused: Here is your AA Co. next level ballers list the past 4yrs. and you say the scouts know about AA Co.. what scouts and when they come to AA? when Arundel invites them.. The list would even be shorter, if I didn't include the DIII and CC programs..

although, I didn't include Spalding.. Feel free to add, but I'm sure this is pretty accurate.. it may help promote AA Co. ball.

SR - Moreland

Severn - Bri

Old Mill - Watkins

Annap - Parker

Chesapeake - Spinneweber (lacrosse) ???

Arundel - Mcquire, Baker, Vails, Ramsey, Dobbins, Butler, Brownlee

Meade - ???

North County - ???

NE - ???

Southern - ???

South River has Stacy Hunt at UMBC and Jo Denevan at Barton College in North Carolina. Kim Milligan is playing at Division III Arcadia outside of Philadelphia. Moreland had a solid freshmen year at McDaniel

:) Okay guys back to work.... got some calls on a few more players.

GB: B. Williams, J. Taylor trying to develop some chemistry during the summer to carry into next season.

Got the word on some Meade players.

Chamblis was away at the UM camp and some Blue Chip exposure event last week, and will miss a few games in the Summer league. People I talk to really think this kid is someone to watch. Frese at UM knows her name, and she has won several honors at the UM Camp two years in a row. Can play tough defense and if she gets hot can shot the lights out.

Also watch #13 on the Meade JV...her name is Shanti Harvey, quick hands and feet...could be great addition for them next year. Can't wait to see her match against Spalding #32 tonight.

Anyone got any other match ups to watch this week?

1) HoopSmart and the Hornets send those kids to Severn and St. Mary's. Nobody there has developed any talent for SPHS for 4 years. Sorry.

3) Another high school assistant out there has helped develop talent that has gone to McDaniel (Acton, Snoops. etc) and also helped generate D1 and D3 interest in one of the MOST COACHABLE kids around- Nucci.

4) AA County needs to keep there kids in an organization like the Hurricanes WITH OPEN TRYOUTS! No politics, no high school development plan, no promises other than THE BEST 12 play. This year alone:

#1 Lilley

#2 Schneck, K

#3 Nucci

#4 Scheck, H

#5 Weiczorek

for starters could have beaten any 16 year old team out there- including the 4 Time Defending- yahda, yahda- who never had to beat anyone.

Big problem here- trust me- chemistry! "Playing up" mistakes in previous year, selection process in the the "Dream Team" could have been formed, and many others.

Through it all, the "Hurricanes" E-mail opens doors for these type of players- SHOULD THEY WANT IT MORE THAN THE PARENTS!!!!

Gems,

Before you get all over the Hurricanes promote trail... Explain the following.:confused: The Hurricanes 16's-Rosemond (AA Co. POY, plus some), 15's-Aiken & 15's-Banks teams of the senior division all disbanded as the college evaluation period is set to start due to poor leadership and no organizational structure or backbone! What a disgrace to this areas AAU basketball. Lilley has to play for another team so she can be seen.. Nucci (POY) wasn't even asked to play..:confused: so all the above players you mentioned with the exception of Lilley will be home this summer (the most important evaluation summer in their young basketball lives), like Dirk.. wishing and hoping.. meanwhile the Magic (plus Lilley & A. Lee) and the yahda yahda "Canes" will continue to secure D-1 scholarship offers over the summer.. again, the area's problem.. too many non-basketball minded people involved.. but I wish the kids well.. D-III McDaniel will be Nucci's new home.

South River has Stacy Hunt at UMBC and Jo Denevan at Barton College in North Carolina. Kim Milligan is playing at Division III Arcadia outside of Philadelphia. Moreland had a solid freshmen year at McDaniel

:) Thanks Coach. Come on guys....I know there are others out there!

:D Okay LET.....GEM.... I challenge both of you to give us the names of some up and coming A.A. County talent, that we can watch this coming year.

I don't care who developed them, or where they are playing. Let's see how sincere you guys are about building the future of A.A. County Girls BBall.

Come on, I know you can do it! :)

:D Okay LET.....GEM.... I challenge both of you to give us the names of some up and coming A.A. County talent, that we can watch this coming year.

I don't care who developed them, or where they are playing. Let's see how sincere you guys are about building the future of A.A. County Girls BBall.

Come on, I know you can do it! :)

Winning,

I don't follow the young talent as much any more.. outside of AAU.. that's the bacon.. and you know the current AA Co. talent.. but I do follow the coaching.. and the talent has been there.. suspect coaching.. I do know Spalding is loading up.. and this could be the very reason.. Gem stated players running to Severn/St. Mary to avoid SPHS.. My previous post said get some coaches involved other than SR/Arundel.. and that's how you build up your county bball.. there has to be a interest from the focal point.. coaches to help further develop this raw talent.. Don't sleep on the Arundel young talent cause Watson & Moore are two that are going to give players fits.. Chamblis is okay.. I like Salisbury at OM.. but coaching will degrade that.. the others are heading to Spalding.. again, have a coaches forum to discuss strategies to better AA Co. bball.. they did it for football.. OM/Broadneck & Arundel are benefiting.. again, getting coaches heavily involved.. camps.. workouts.. taking a personal and professional interest without coaching outside the Nov 15 - Mar 15 window.. that's my advice.. Winning, you know enough coaches in the area.. get their input.. :) also, what player is working individually to improve their game.. who's lifting, shooting, dribbling or just studying the game outside of practice or summer league games? Next level ballers are! :)

What does being the best athlete have to do with anything? Thought we were discussing basketball. How or why would Eldridge even come up in a conversation regarding POY's??? She didn't even lead her own team in scoring.

She can barely put the ball on the floor without getting called for traveling. She does look impressive in warmups though. Maybe she has a thing about whistles!! Eldridge and Nucci in the same discussion is ludicrous.

What does being the best athlete have to do with anything? Thought we were discussing basketball. How or why would Eldridge even come up in a conversation regarding POY's??? She didn't even lead her own team in scoring.

She can barely put the ball on the floor without getting called for traveling. She does look impressive in warmups though. Maybe she has a thing about whistles!! Eldridge and Nucci in the same discussion is ludicrous.

Winning.. see what I told you.. non basketball minded people just jump into the thread with random postings.. We've moved on to something more positive.. but if you want to go ahead and defend your player.. we'll understand.. but no need.. it'll be settled on the hardwood..

:) Okay.....you must have missed the context of my post.

If you noticed I in essence said that she wasn't POY material, although she could have been with the raw talent she has. Reason....as stated, not Coachable!!!!

That's why she didn't lead her team....she could have, but didn't.

Once again the purpose of this thread is to boost "ALL" A.A. County players...not just a few.

By the way....some school is going to offer Eldridge a shot, based upon that raw talent....would I, not with her present attitude, but I have seen worst things in my years. The kid is a decent student, she just needs to work in a decent system.

Watch this young Coach from MYBA that is working with the Meade Summer League...Eldridge, Galloway and few of the other talented head cases seem to respect her, and she has Div I experience....hopefully she can help them realize their potential....someone needs to.

:) Well guys the match up I wanted to see tonight between #32 of Spalding (Girly) and #13 of Meade (Shanti Harvey) didn't take place tonight, as neither player was there (that happens in Summer League). But none the less I saw an interesting game with Spalding winning in overtime.

A couple of players did stand out...#11 from Spalding (didn't get her name) if she is a Freshman could add something to the Program in the future when all the Super Freshman arrive.

For Meade, #1 (I believe her name was Batten)...has that DI body that people talk about...Guard, Small Forward. Needs some work, but as a 8th grader definitely has a body built for BBall.

On another note....got the name of #11 from Northeast. Her name is Cassie.....somebody is working with this kid...she is a legit 6'0" or better... and could make some noise.

Did anyone see anything at the Varsity games.

#1 Lilley

#2 Schneck, K

#3 Nucci

#4 Scheck, H

#5 Weiczorek

At first I was content with just reading you guys ramble on about AA county girls BBall until gem decided to post the above. First of all none of the girls you mentioned above besides lilly would even make a real AAU team such as the Hurricanes let alone beat them. Secondly, the fact that Nucci won player of the year in AA county tells how bad girls BBall in this area must be. I decided to go see her play this AAU season because of the hype she was receiving on this board and I must say I was very dissapointed. I also decided to go check out the summer league games from the talk on these boards and quite honestly from what I saw, I think my daughter 10U AAU team could compete with some of the teams I saw playing. I think its good that you guys are trying to promote girls BBall in AA county, but please keep things in context.

I think for whatever reason the talent Level has gone down in both the privates and Public levels of AA county Basketball, i think Pete Medhurst post was right on. Also what has happened to St. Marys basketball? Once proud program now getting there clocks cleaned in the A conf.

Gems,

It's a new day. :) and we still don't have an answer to the posted comment.. You shouldn't come on the AA Co. bball thread throwing out random, advertised postings, if you can man-up to support it. Your quote:

"AA County needs to keep there kids in an organization like the Hurricanes WITH OPEN TRYOUTS! No politics, no high school development plan, no promises other than THE BEST 12 play".

The community of young parents who are not sure where to send their youngsters would like to know.. since you brought it up..

Why did the Mighty Hurricanes 16's-Rosemond (AA Co. POY, plus some), 15's-Aiken & 15's-Banks teams of the senior division all disband as the college evaluation period is set to start next month? :confused:

Remember, we are talking about HS players who should be getting heavily recruited this time of year.. Last time scouts saw them play was April 14/15, and some of the teams didn't even participate then..

Can't answer the question, then you should stay off the thread.. until you got something worth mentioning.. that's my advice.. B)

At first I was content with just reading you guys ramble on about AA county girls BBall until gem decided to post the above. First of all none of the girls you mentioned above besides lilly would even make a real AAU team such as the Hurricanes let alone beat them. Secondly, the fact that Nucci won player of the year in AA county tells how bad girls BBall in this area must be. I decided to go see her play this AAU season because of the hype she was receiving on this board and I must say I was very dissapointed. I also decided to go check out the summer league games from the talk on these boards and quite honestly from what I saw, I think my daughter 10U AAU team could compete with some of the teams I saw playing. I think its good that you guys are trying to promote girls BBall in AA county, but please keep things in context.

:( Okay let's try this again! This is not an AAU specific thread...there is one of those out there if you want to chat on that. This is not a Tri-County Thread....there is one of those out there if you want to chat on that. For better or worse this is an AA County Girls BBall Thread and that's what we are talking about.

Everyone that talks here understands the context in which we are speaking.......But if you think that any Maryland 10U AAU team...and I know you were only kidding :)..... could compete with any of the teams in this Summer League then you maybe need to spend your time doing other things.

Remember every organization that has a team out there is trying to improve. That's what this is all about.

Again when I started this Thread I was hoping to generate some positive dialogue about A.A. County Bball. I realized that there was enough negative press out there to fill 10 threads, but I had hopes for something better.

Unfortuately it appears that along with low expectations from outside we have a severe Self Esteem problem from inside. Reading some of these post really tell me that there are A.A. County folks who think so poorly of A.A. County Girls BBall that they would prefer to go watch BBall some place else.

As with any "Child" with self image issues positive reenforcement is the suggested therapy, and that's what we are attempting here.

Now be not fooled....I don't expect to cure all the ills associated with AA County Girls BBall by chatting on these pages, but if we care we must start somewhere. And guess what?.....you never know who is reading these post.

A close friend of mine who is the source for some of my player intel....received a call the other day from A.A. County Parks and Rec's....he had discussed with them more than a year ago that they should review their Bball Rules.....suddenly out of the blue a year latter they have asked him would he mind reviewing the rules and giving them the feedback.

He seems to think that this thread has started some people to thinking, and he asked me to keep it up. I hope he's right, but I know there are others out there that can do the same things that Coach, Pete and Let are doing....engage actively in this discussion.

Who knows....maybe we can make a difference.