Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winning

Girls Basketball in A.A. County

4,178 posts in this topic

Coach.....I did see some of the South River JV game last evening........good size on that team, are most of them incoming 8th graders or returning 9th graders?

Also, for my personal information does anyone know what BBall organization feeds South River (Davidsonville, Edgewater etc)?

A lot of the SR girls come from Crofton and get summer and rec coaching from Leo Cromartie

Not only was Nucci far and away the best player in the county last year, she was also the most improved player. Gotta agree with Coach . Never saw any point padding here but did see it on other squads (can you spell wildcats).

Care to elaborate? We can all make accusations but being able to substantiate remarks can sometimes prove a lot more difficult. I, obviously by the name, am a fan of Arundel basketball. However, I'm a basketball fan first and foremost. I'm interested in who's stats were padded and in which game were they padded.

Gems,

Before you get all over the Hurricanes promote trail... Explain the following.:confused: The Hurricanes 16's-Rosemond (AA Co. POY, plus some), 15's-Aiken & 15's-Banks teams of the senior division all disbanded as the college evaluation period is set to start due to poor leadership and no organizational structure or backbone! What a disgrace to this areas AAU basketball. Lilley has to play for another team so she can be seen.. Nucci (POY) wasn't even asked to play..:confused: so all the above players you mentioned with the exception of Lilley will be home this summer (the most important evaluation summer in their young basketball lives), like Dirk.. wishing and hoping.. meanwhile the Magic (plus Lilley & A. Lee) and the yahda yahda "Canes" will continue to secure D-1 scholarship offers over the summer.. again, the area's problem.. too many non-basketball minded people involved.. but I wish the kids well.. D-III McDaniel will be Nucci's new home.

Couldn't have put it better myself.Only one that might have made last cut would be LILLEY.If supposed AA All-star team played HURRICANES they would lose at least 9 games.More than likely all 10.I know everybody here is drinking the AA co kool-aid but we gotta keep it real.

:confused:

Let... Interestingly enough Arundel's JV team defeated Annapolis HS yesterday with a team comprised of 9th & 10th grade girls. You're words are ringing true.

:) Now! Now! Children...let's play nice. I like the dialogue and the competitive tone, but as many people have said, let's keep things in context.

Taking nothing from Arundel...who I like...but word was that one or two Annapolis players were not there last night and one that was...had a medical problem.

Arundel did lose to my pick...Severn...and still have to get by Old Mill and Meade (the young Coach is back). So we may still be in for some summer fun.

But good post...glad you have joined the forum :).

Couldn't have put it better myself.Only one that might have made last cut would be LILLEY.If supposed AA All-star team played HURRICANES they would lose at least 9 games.More than likely all 10.I know everybody here is drinking the AA co kool-aid but we gotta keep it real.

:) Once again...this in not the AAU Thread....its the AA County Girls Bball thread and hopefully everyone here before its all said and done will enjoy a good glass of Kool-aid.

If I got as rapped in this AAU thing as some of you do.....trust me I would be drinking more then Kool-aid.....come on guys, let's keep this thread about the kids. :)

A lot of the SR girls come from Crofton and get summer and rec coaching from Leo Cromartie

:) Thanks for the infor.....and I like that guy......I saw him at the JV games last night and wasn't sure why he was there. Now I know.

Just a side note...Crofton has done some gutsy things in the County League the last several years...putting teams in the "A" Bracket and letting players play against tougher talent...that's the kind of thing that will pay off for a HS Program.

:

Except for Demauria Lyles how many of those players from those great Riverdale Baptist teams have names we still can remember? This is A.A. County, trust me Colleges know what they are getting when they come here!

Smith, Wanisha Duke Dolt!!!!:eek: :eek:

Smith, Wanisha Duke Dolt!!!!:eek: :eek:

I let this one slide when I first read it but since TSE popped the top I'd like to add Xenia Stewart (MD Hurricanes) Big EAST - Pitt; Yolanda Lavender ACC - Wake Forest.

I let this one slide when I first read it but since TSE popped the top I'd like to add Xenia Stewart (MD Hurricanes) Big EAST - Pitt; Yolanda Lavender ACC - Wake Forest.

I really didn't know how to respond to Winning, because RB is in PG County unless I don't know my counties. I actually believe that AA overall has the strongest HS ball. I have been stating this the past couple HS seasons. Some skeptics think its HOCO, which is laughable.

5-11 guard Vicki Collier RB Old Dominion

:eek::confused:

Pam Stansfield (Patriot League) - American.. and I believe the kid name "Lindsay" went D-1 up north..

:) Now! Now! Children...let's play nice. I like the dialogue and the competitive tone, but as many people have said, let's keep things in context.

Taking nothing from Arundel...who I like...but word was that one or two Annapolis players were not there last night and one that was...had a medical problem.

Arundel did lose to my pick...Severn...and still have to get by Old Mill and Meade (the young Coach is back). So we may still be in for some summer fun.

But good post...glad you have joined the forum :).

Winning - I think that Let made a good judgement on the level of play and that the Arundel JV team would represent the school in a fine way. Keeping things in context - I believe the facts to be that Annapolis was only missing 1 player of significance. She had a dental issue and was present on the sideline (not in uniform). She's a baller and would've been a significant contributor to her team's effort. This does not, in any way diminish the Wildcat's efforts as your post seems to imply.

Getting by Old Mill with this young group of Wildcat girls is unlikely for you betting men/women but, I'll be there supporting them all the way. Getting ("by Meade"), as you put it is something altogehter different - very doable. Don't you agree? :D I understand that Meade has some favor with you but, Winning we're talking about Arundel JV here. See ya in the gyms.:)

Pam Stansfield (Patriot League) - American.. and I believe the kid name "Lindsay" went D-1 up north..

Let,

Again you're on top of your game!

Just to add a few at the risk of offending some...

Linday Harris - University of Rhode Island

Erica Pollock - St Joe's

Joi Jefferson - NorthEastern

Alexis Abraham - Towson University

Rashauna Hobbs - George Mason (Helps if Karl happens to be your dad.)

Vicki Collier - Old Dominion University

Nina Uqdah - James Madison University

Let they gotta get up pretty early in the morning to beat you at your game.;)

Again when I started this Thread I was hoping to generate some positive dialogue about A.A. County Bball. A close friend of mine who is the source for some of my player intel....received a call the other day from A.A. County Parks and Rec's....he had discussed with them more than a year ago that they should review their Bball Rules.....suddenly out of the blue a year latter they have asked him would he mind reviewing the rules and giving them the feedback.

Winning,

I said it before and believe it needs to be said again.. and I applaud your efforts.. but the "Players" (not the parent) have to want to get better verses running up & down a court, falling all over the place, traveling every move, no form on their shot and can't shoot freethrows.. and the HS coaches have to want a change for the better. Some are happy and content with the way things are.. I've seen games when the coach doesn't even raise up off the bench and his/her team in getting pummelled. Whether you are losing or winning by 20, you can still coach. The dialogue you will get from some of us, knowledgable posters of the bball game may enlighten the powers to be to take a serious look into the decline of county girls bball.. Just the other day, I read they are looking to move all girls games to 5pm, cause too many people are getting up leaving after the boys game on the days the boys play first and it's embrassing to the girls.. I'd ask your friend to share some of the rules worth review and possible change, and let the thread give insight.. It could only promote positive input..

But I also, go back to some of my previous postings. What AA Co. "PLAYER" is trying to better her game? Who's working on areas outside of normal schedule.. two sport/three sport, doesn't make a difference.. in order for it to improve across the board, everybody has to put the work in.. and those that are.. you see them going or will be going next level. AA Co. play doesn't always have to be about going next level, cause the realities is that only one or two per season may go DI or DII, with the exception of Arundel. Why? cause his "PLAYERS" put the work in outside the normal season.

This summer/fall or regular season games watch closely, all the fundamental deficiencies, and who's correcting them.. "nobody".. In the past, I've only seen(AR/SR/Southern) correct those flaws on the spot.. and I thought summer/fall leagues were for just that.. eliminating those bad habits before Nov 15.. and before you know it.. it's a season long of bad basketball..

I hope everyone take this as positive dialogue.. :)

Winning,

I said it before and believe it needs to be said again.. and I applaud your efforts.. but the "Players" (not the parent) have to want to get better verses running up & down a court, falling all over the place, traveling every move, no form on their shot and can't shoot freethrows.. and the HS coaches have to want a change for the better. Some are happy and content with the way things are.. I've seen games when the coach doesn't even raise up off the bench and his/her team in getting pummelled. Whether you are losing or winning by 20, you can still coach. The dialogue you will get from some of us, knowledgable posters of the bball game may enlighten the powers to be to take a serious look into the decline of county girls bball.. Just the other day, I read they are looking to move all girls games to 5pm, cause too many people are getting up leaving after the boys game on the days the boys play first and it's embrassing to the girls.. I'd ask your friend to share some of the rules worth review and possible change, and let the thread give insight.. It could only promote positive input..

But I also, go back to some of my previous postings. What AA Co. "PLAYER" is trying to better her game? Who's working on areas outside of normal schedule.. two sport/three sport, doesn't make a difference.. in order for it to improve across the board, everybody has to put the work in.. and those that are.. you see them going or will be going next level. AA Co. play doesn't always have to be about going next level, cause the realities is that only one or two per season may go DII or DI, with the exception of Arundel. Why? cause his "PLAYERS" put the work in outside the normal season.

This summer/fall or regular season games watch closely, all the fundamental deficiencies, and who's correcting them.. "nobody".. In the past, I've only seen(AR/SR/Southern) correct those flaws on the spot.. and I thought summer/fall leagues were for just that.. eliminating those bad habits before Nov 15.. and before you know it.. it's a season long of bad basketball..

I hope everyone take this as positive dialogue.. :)

GREAT POST!!! :)

WINNING, I'm off to watch Old Mill vs SR. Hope to see you in the spot.

I really didn't know how to respond to Winning, because RB is in PG County unless I don't know my counties. I actually believe that AA overall has the strongest HS ball. I have been stating this the past couple HS seasons. Some skeptics think its HOCO, which is laughable.

5-11 guard Vicki Collier RB Old Dominion

:eek::confused:

:) Guys, you missed the point I was trying to make...or I didn't make myself clear enough....De Lyles started her AAU play here in A.A. County!!!! How many of the other RB players would the average AA County player or Coach for that matter remember? That was my point..

And the De Lyles story for those of us who know it is the real reason why I'm fighting so hard to improve the caliber of play here. De left AA County and went to the Mystics with the blessing and assistance of her AAU organization because they knew they couldn't provide her with the development that she needed. Her mother made great sacrifaces splitting her children up (one going to Meade and the other to RB) so that De could made the strides. I saw that women attend a Varsity game for her younger daughter, then jump in the car and race to PG to watch De.....week after week, year after year. And there are others doing it now, why...because we don't or won't provide the quality.

Again the knock was not on RB, as all those players progress just like those at Mcnamara and St. Johns...but except for a few of us no one in A.A. County knows their names...that was my point.

In reply to Wildcats Post #88:

:) Again truth be told I am one of the biggest Lee Rogers fans there is......but I am also balanced.

Meade by the way is not my pick, again its Severn this year.

I know most of the Arundel players and so do many other people...plus they will get their share of the press.

That's why I am trying to highlight many of the others.

People who know me know that the main advice I give to a new Coach entering A.A. County..."unless you build your program with the intention of beating Lee Rogers you are wasting your time".

Again its not the Meade team I am impressed with...its the young Coach.

So if I don't see you tonight....I will be there on Wednesday.

:) Guys, you missed the point I was trying to make...or I didn't make myself clear enough....De Lyles started her AAU play here in A.A. County!!!! De left AA County and went to the Mystics with the blessing and assistance of her AAU organization because they knew they couldn't provide her with the development that she needed.

Winning,

Again, I'm on your side but you mixin apples & oranges.. one day it's AA Co. thread the next it's De Lyles moving to a better AAU program.. You want to promote positivity on your thread.. talk about Mcquire, Baker, Watkins, Hunt and a few others.. cause there local hs and local AAU teams did them well.. they took care of the classroom and the court.. that's why they are where they are.. and they deserve more press. Young talented AA Co. girls can learn alot from them.. plus they can learn from others you mentioned and a few others that came through AA Co. and learned that if you don't take of classroom, then you don't play next level, atleast not right now..

I got to see all the hype at the AA Co. summer league tonight in a match-up against the two best 2nd place teams and I won't comment because some is positive and alot is negative, but what I wondered is how many up & coming talents in the gym tonight knew that was Stacy Hunt(UMBC D-1 baller) coaching SR.. prob not many!! I believe the OM coach plays or played ball somewhere.. How many would recognize Mcquire, Baker or Watkins, if they walked in the gym? other than there hs school, not many because we don't promote them enough for their accomplishments.. and they made it where many would like to go.. and there were some before them..

Again, you want to promote AA Co. ball, talk about the committment and sacrifice those players & parents made to get them to that level.. everybody wants something, but who's willing to put the work in.. and I keep saying it.. I remember seeing Alex Mcquire in the gym on a Sunday evening with just her mother working on her game. and I'm sure I can say that for Watkins, Baker & Hunt.. Alot of this young talent don't really know what it takes and I saw some raw talent that can be molded into some rock-solid potentials, if they are willing to work at it.

Winning,

Again, I'm on your side but you mixin apples & oranges.. one day it's AA Co. thread the next it's De Lyles moving to a better AAU program.. You want to promote positivity on your thread.. talk about Mcquire, Baker, Watkins, Hunt and a few others.. cause there local hs and local AAU teams did them well.. they took care of the classroom and the court.. that's why they are where they are.. and they deserve more press. Young talented AA Co. girls can learn alot from them.. plus they can learn from others you mentioned and a few others that came through AA Co. and learned that if you don't take of classroom, then you don't play next level, atleast not right now..

I got to see all the hype at the AA Co. summer league tonight in a match-up against the two best 2nd place teams and I won't comment because some is positive and alot is negative, but what I wondered is how many up & coming talents in the gym tonight knew that was Stacy Hunt(UMBC D-1 baller) coaching SR.. prob not many!! I believe the OM coach plays or played ball somewhere.. How many would recognize Mcquire, Baker or Watkins, if they walked in the gym? other than there hs school, not many because we don't promote them enough for their accomplishments.. and they made it where many would like to go.. and there were some before them..

Again, you want to promote AA Co. ball, talk about the committment and sacrifice those players & parents made to get them to that level.. everybody wants something, but who's willing to put the work in.. and I keep saying it.. I remember seeing Alex Mcquire in the gym on a Sunday evening with just her mother working on her game. and I'm sure I can say that for Watkins, Baker & Hunt.. Alot of this young talent don't really know what it takes and I saw some raw talent that can be molded into some rock-solid potentials, if they are willing to work at it.

:) Let....once again you and I are on the same page...what you state is exactly my point. One yes I recoginized her and two yes I do speak and communicate with the others and their parents when ever they are in a gym. But that's my point!!!! Home grown talent that stayed...worked in the Classroom and outside and are doing good now.

Again the De Lyles thing was a side track...(a short statement in a long post, that maybe should not have been made and was an attempt on my part..... poorly made I admit........ to draw a distinction between talent that stays and talent that goes to othe areas), but the apples are what I want to talk about.

For an example I saw the same negatives that you and anybody else who was in that gym last night saw....things that anywhere else in the area would not have happened, and I plan on highlighting them in a separate Post today so that they can get some attention.

But the positive that I saw is really where the hope for AA County Bball lays.....just one to note....I saw a young kid that several people on this Post have commented about as a Young Talent.....Salisbury from OM, announce by her performance..."hay big girls, I think I can play wirh you guys".

A JV players using the forum at hand (regardless of the ref's or playing conditions) to say I am ready to step to the next level is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

:) .... For an example I saw the same negatives that you and anybody else who was in that gym last night saw....things that anywhere else in the area would not have happened, and I plan on highlighting them in a separate Post today so that they can get some attention.

We are standing by for your post. I'd like to read what you'd like to highlight.

Last night at Arundel Middle the AA County Varsity Summer League had a chance to say to its nay-sayers....we can compete. Unfortuately....we failed the test.

First let me state...I am not trying to "Hype" A.A.County Bball, or even suggest that it is better than what it is. On the contrary....I am hoping to force change through dialogue. I walked out of to many gyms last year, because I came to see "Varsity" level BBall and what I saw instead was a poor substitution for elevated Rec play. Unlike others I have decided to try to do something about it....but I need help.

Last night the playing conditions at AMS were sub par at best. I am sure that somewhere in the County there is a HS Gym with an operational A/C and Scoreboard that could be used to support such and important endeavor.

Next, the officials.....Surely the officials that do regular seasons games aren't all doing something else doing this time of the year....yes this is a League run by Parks and Rec's and they use the facilities and Ref's that they use doing the County season, but I'm sure Josh Roach would not turn down any assistance that was offered.

Level of play.....the coaching rule that hinders Coach player involvement in this area could also be seen at work last night. Old Mill had normally been Coached by Steve Anderson (who I understand was with his AAU team at an exposure event), SR I'm not sure....but surely a little Coaching Staff involvement would not have hurt.

All in All the interest and commitment on the part of the players that were there was good....but we as a County need to give them the support. There of course were several players who if teams were at full strength would not have been on the floor, but that's what this level Summer League should be about giving those unknowns a chance to be known.

That's how I see it........what do you guys think?

:D Okay enough negatives...let's get back to the positive stuff, names of some possible new talent to watch:

Again after last nights performance ( I only saw a small portion, but other people filled me in) Salisbury from Old Mill could be a player to watch...if her size doesn't ultimately catch up with her. Sources tell me that her father was a star athlete at Southern years ago and that he works with her as much as he can (Let...one of your ingredients for success :)).

She has apparently played for the same AAU team since she was 10 yrs old....and has competed at the Nationals either DI or DII each year, and will do so again this year.

Jasmine Wills #40 - Southern - A JV player from last year showed some signs of being a good addition to that program...maybe a year away.

I also witnessed from afar an interesting exchange last night between a group of parents (I assume they were parents) about a shot attempt by #32 of Old Mill (didn't get her name). The dialogue was over whether or not she should have taken a "Jump Shot" or whether she should have driven to the basket. It was an interesting exchange and says something about how involved fans could be in something like this Summer League if we give them something of fair quality to watch.

By the way....another side note....there is no question that the main Arundel Players would give this League a different tone if they were participating. Not sure that other schools would give the young talent as much of a chance if Arundel were there. Not sure if that is good or bad...what do you guys think?

:) Thanks for the infor.....and I like that guy......I saw him at the JV games last night and wasn't sure why he was there. Now I know.

Just a side note...Crofton has done some gutsy things in the County League the last several years...putting teams in the "A" Bracket and letting players play against tougher talent...that's the kind of thing that will pay off for a HS Program.

This will mostly pay off for South River, most of the Crofton kids from those teams will go there or else go private, that has been the trend for a couple seasons now it seems. The Arundel varsity mostly fed out of the JPYO- GORC- AAU- direction. Word is that that Crofton coach will now be added to the SR staff, perhaps as JV coach (he coaching Hoopsmart 91's now)

Winning:

What are your top 4 (power ranking) in AA Co public HS? Please qualify your rankings. :)

Also, what would you suggest parents do to assist the county recs/parks and make the quality of the league better? I can only take LETU's suggestion about putting in the work in the gym as a method of improving the quality of the league. What other ways would you recommend? :)