Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shellshock

MIAA Baseball 2011

628 posts in this topic

Now that tryouts have started and basketball is winding down, let us know about suprises at tryouts, progress of returning players, and chances of dethroning Gilman this season in A Conference.

In B, does the graduation of the talented 2010 seniors at St. Francis spell trouble?

Will Calvert Hall find pitching?(They always have). Will the talented Spalding players fall back after losing a great coach?

Palotti anyone? Will they or anyone else be able to stop Annapolis Area?

Well..........

For the B Division, everyone is going to say that AACS is the clear favorite with the addition of transfers from Gibbons (3) and Springbrook (1). AACS has a very tough out of conference schedule which will prepare them well. I really believe that anyone can beat anyone on any given day especially in the B Black Dvision. On their heels will be Mt. Carmel which returns pretty much everyone from last year's team. Pallotti who started 6 sophomores last year pretty much returns everyone as well. Pallotti beat both AACS and MC last year. Friends will be very good and can beat anyone when their #1 pitcher pitches (Think his name is Arnie Capute maybe). Don't count out St. Mary's Annapolis. With Coach Lee S. they will be much improved and have a pretty good freshman class coming in.

In the B Red Division there will be some question marks. I think Severn will be the front runner in the Red Division. Hal Sparks has done a grat job with their program. They have a really good #1 pitcher, they just need to find another #2 pitcher and realize their ace cant pitch all of the time. Park pretty much lost all of their studs to graduation and will be rebuilding. Boy's Latin has a new coach (the former coach of Park), so you know they will be ready. Lutheran and St. Frances will be rebuilding as well. Glenelg Country may surpise a lot of people. They have a couple of guys going on to play DIII baseball next year.

Please remeber this is just my opinion. I really think for the 1st time in years, anyone can beat anyone on any given day in the B Division. It will come down to pitching and I know AACS, MC, and Pallotti have plenty of pitching.

I am interested in hearing about a comparison of both Gilman & CHC's 2011 starting lineups and see who gets better or worse with their loss of seniors and incoming younger players either from JV or varsity bench spots from 2010.Help fill in the blanks:

Gilman

2010 2011 worse or better

c Lauf ? worse

1b Ripken Ripken same

2b Cooke ? worse

ss O,neil O'neil same

3b Collins Collins same

of Willis ? ?

of Johnson Johnson same

of ? ? ?

p Casas Casas same

p Willis ? ?

p Collins Collins same

p Durham Durham same

Calvert Hall

c Welling Murphy better

1b Lenovitz Sutton worse

2b Fitzgerald ? worse

ss Baron Baron same

3b Bryant Gimlet worse

of Bosse Bosse same

of Pastorius Pastorius same

of Merkel Fratantuono ?

p Sgroi ? ?

p Swearingen ? ?

p Walther Walther same

I am interested in hearing about a comparison of both Gilman & CHC's 2011 starting lineups and see who gets better or worse with their loss of seniors and incoming younger players either from JV or varsity bench spots from 2010.Help fill in the blanks:

Gilman

c Lauf ? worse

1b Ripken Ripken same

2b Cooke ? worse

ss O,neil O'neil same

3b Collins Collins same

of Willis ? ?

of Johnson Johnson same

of ? ? ?

p Casas Casas same

p Willis ? ?

p Collins Collins same

p Durham Durham same

Calvert Hall

c Welling Murphy better

1b Lenovitz Sutton worse

2b Fitzgerald ? worse

ss Baron Baron same

3b Bryant Gimlet worse

of Bosse Bosse same

of Merkel Fratantuono ?

p Sgroi ? ?

p Swearingen ? ?

p Walther Walther same

Get your facts right. ripken pitched instead of durham and johnson is gone plus you gotta take into account progression. everything else is pretty spot on

Get your facts right. ripken pitched instead of durham and johnson is gone plus you gotta take into account progression. everything else is pretty spot on

OK, if you have the facts, why not fill in some of the question marks? Who takes over for Johnson? Ripken still at 1st?

Gilman

c Lauf ? worse

1b Ripken Ripken same

2b Cooke ? worse

ss O,neil O'neil same

3b Collins Collins same

of Willis ? ?

of Johnson Johnson same

of ? ? ?

p Casas Casas same

p Willis ? ?

p Collins Collins same

p Durham Durham same

Calvert Hall

c Welling Murphy better

1b Lenovitz Sutton worse

2b Fitzgerald ? worse

ss Baron Baron same

3b Bryant Gimlet worse

of Bosse Bosse same

of Merkel Fratantuono ?

p Sgroi ? ?

p Swearingen ? ?

p Walther Walther same

Colin Gilmblet might not be on Greg's Bryant's level just yet, but he is only a sophomore this season. I think he has a very high ceiling and a world of potential. He can hit the ball a mile off of anyone when he is in a groove. He was by far the best MIAA JV power hitter last season. He might take some lumps in his first varsity season but he has the potential to eventually become as consistently dangerous as any hitter in the league.

A couple of pitchers from last season's CHC JV team had very good summers. The big question is can they succeed on the varsity level this spring.

Gimblet is a player, he has worked hard this off season from what I hear to improve his speed, agility, and strength. Also curious to what Witzcak, Hankey, Mooney..ect could bring from the JV up to the Varsity on the mound. Also heard Soph OF Ron Farley has looked pretty good.

Gimblet is a player, he has worked hard this off season from what I hear to improve his speed, agility, and strength. Also curious to what Witzcak, Hankey, Mooney..ect could bring from the JV up to the Varsity on the mound. Also heard Soph OF Ron Farley has looked pretty good.

I would add Shipley into that mix as well. I heard had a very good summer pitching for Diamond Pros.

Yes the Ship Dog can make you feel dumb...he only throws 76-80 but his arm slots and off speed just get hitters out when he's on and gets ahead in the count.

I think that both Gilman & CHC match up pretty identical. Both teams have no speed, lack a leadoff hitter, will have inexperienced catchers behind the plate and neither team has the ability to play small ball to manufacture runs. So I guess it boils down to pitching. Gilman would have the edge in that dept. Ripken, Casas and Collins will be heads and shoulders above the CHC staff (whoever that turns out to be). I also think that Gilman will have an advantage in the hitting dept. although I beleive CHC has better hitters. Gilman's approach to hitting is totally different than CHC. Sheets teaches his players to go deep in the count and hit balls away to the opposite field while CHC has the big banger mentality. Unfortunately other than Bosse or Murphy, nobody else has that ability. Usually what happens in that case is opponents will patiently go right at the remaining 7 hitters while not allowing those two to hurt them. Also when pitching around dangerous hitters with a team with no speed or aggressiveness on the basepaths, that hitter (especially a senior who is committed to big time D1 ACC who wants to put numbers on the board and prove something) will usually get impatient and start getting himself out. With the high school season being so short, there usually remains little time for that player to recoupe and even things out. Good coaches will figure all of these things out and make the necessary adjustments.

Yes Spalding is full of talent. If they can put it all together they will be a dangerous team. I hear there is already some missing Miller ...some Punctuality issues so far.

It seems like you guys are already determining the two top teams, what about Spalding?

I do not think this is the case. People familiar with CHC and Gilman simply gave some input.

One thing that I have noticed about Spalding teams in the past is that as the year comes closer to the end and as the weather gets warmer their focus seems to fade. Maybe it's got something to do with having girls at the school. Just an observation.

Gilman has added Andy Bair as a pitching coach this year. I would not be surprised to see their pitching improve. Andy has been working with kids for quite sometime and his proteges include many in minor leagues today.

Gilman has added Andy Bair as a pitching coach this year. I would not be surprised to see their pitching improve. Andy has been working with kids for quite sometime and his proteges include many in minor leagues today.

Ouch! That hurts!

OK, if you have the facts, why not fill in some of the question marks? Who takes over for Johnson? Ripken still at 1st?

Ripken will be at first unless he pitches, then whoever plays when he pitches will be between quinn cotter and young sheets. Matt tilley will play center, right is still open and second base will be between seve llanio, mike dunbar, and malcolm powers so whoever has the better tryout will play there. right is still way up in the air and catcher will be luca simmons. bullpen will be an issue that needs to be addressed

Gilman

c Lauf ? worse

1b Ripken Ripken same

2b Cooke ? worse

ss O,neil O'neil same

3b Collins Collins same

of Willis ? ?

of Johnson Johnson same

of ? ? ?

p Casas Casas same

p Willis ? ?

p Collins Collins same

p Durham Durham same

Calvert Hall

c Welling Murphy better

1b Lenovitz Sutton worse

2b Fitzgerald ? worse

ss Baron Baron same

3b Bryant Gimlet worse

of Bosse Bosse same

of Merkel Fratantuono ?

p Sgroi ? ?

p Swearingen ? ?

p Walther Walther same

chc offense returns top 4 yes top 4 hitters from last year baron, bosse, murphy, and pastourius accually were the top 4 hitters in all catagories in 2010, add frat and they will be very good with the bats, pitching fackler and walther pitched well when given oppertunities in 2010 maybe a bad inning here or there inflated some stats, but both were solid. chc doesn't have the best pitching but they might have the deepest staff. this year somebody may have to slug their way to a championship. best pitching maybe spalding, best bats maybe chc, best combined pitching and hitting maybe gilman. should make for an interesting season. nick freeberger at spalding health could play a big factor. does anyone know if he will play at all this season.

Got to think Koski is in the mix behind the dish but he might throw some also. He has some arm strength around 83-85 off the mound with an unorthodox windup.

Anyone know how Hicks will fit in? Kid can straight hit but being a junior and having a heavy group of players already at the catcher position how will this play out?

Got to think Koski is in the mix behind the dish but he might throw some also. He has some arm strength around 83-85 off the mound with an unorthodox windup.

Anyone know how Hicks will fit in? Kid can straight hit but being a junior and having a heavy group of players already at the catcher position how will this play out?

Great Post.

I think Koski will be one of the surprises this year for the Hall.

Not behind the plate but on the mound. Very raw but really good fastball and strikeout slider. He can be very good with some polish. I think CH has 2 catchers that can be tough on the mound. This is where they may surprise some teams

Great Post.

I think Koski will be one of the surprises this year for the Hall.

Not behind the plate but on the mound. Very raw but really good fastball and strikeout slider. He can be very good with some polish. I think CH has 2 catchers that can be tough on the mound. This is where they may surprise some teams

Agree on Koski. Also, Spencer Sutton is an excellent pitcher and has a lot of pop in the bat. He will suprise people. How about Lipinski, any chance he cracks the starting lineup?

Lastest reports from training camps:

John Carroll, Loyola and MT St JOE without marquee pitching, but bats will be as strong as ever and high scoring games could get wild.

CHC also has strong bats, AND found some very good pitchers. :eek

AC and McD should be good next year.

Spalding is good now, but trying to get used to new coach. May get off to slow start.

Gilman is training at undisclosed location built by Derek Jeter, and a press blackout is in effect. Plus, none of my friends can afford to send a kid there.

Suppose they must remain as pre season favorites.

Lets look at Spaldings comparison also since it is in many peoples eyes one of the favorites along with Gilman & The Hall

c Barcaly Barclay same

1b Smallenbrook Smallenbrook same

2b Metzler Metzler same...D-1 signee

ss Miller Miller same

3b Neary Neary same...D-1 signee...POY Canidate

of Kries Kries same

of Wells Wells same

of Clarke Clarke same

p Wagner Wagner same

p Clark Clark same

p Benitez Benitez same

p Smallenbrook Smallenbrook same

dh Caldwell Freeburger better

Spalding loses nothing and gains Freeburger as long as he is healthy. On paper and past player performances I think they are the best team in the state. The wild card will be the coaching as they lost a great coach in Steve Miller, but most of these kids have been playing together for a long time. It should be interesting as Gilman, Calvert Hall & Spalding all play each other in their first two league games of the year. If Spalding gets off to a good start and gets past Gilman & The Hall in the first week they may deserve national attention. I was reading a national publication who had CM Wright in the top 50. Spalding on paper has better talent and I beleive a better team than Wright. With all that said I do think Spalding will lose some MIAA games as the MIAA is by far from top to bottom the best league in the state of Maryland......We will see!!

Gilman

c Lauf ? worse

1b Ripken Ripken same

2b Cooke ? worse

ss O,neil O'neil same

3b Collins Collins same

of Willis ? ?

of Johnson Johnson same

of ? ? ?

p Casas Casas same

p Willis ? ?