Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shellshock

MIAA Baseball 2011

628 posts in this topic

a harford county team in the top fifty whats wrong with this picture... there's fifty teams in texas better than them.

a harford county team in the top fifty whats wrong with this picture... there's fifty teams in texas better than them.

THey may not even be the best team in Harford County

i think all of you are wrong...especially you mr. hound dog. how can gilman replace willis, johnson, cooke, and lauf? those were 4 big players for them, i just don't see it. as for chc...it will be interseting and thats all i have to say about that. HERE WE GO!

i think all of you are wrong...especially you mr. hound dog. how can gilman replace willis, johnson, cooke, and lauf? those were 4 big players for them, i just don't see it. as for chc...it will be interseting and thats all i have to say about that. HERE WE GO!

Pitching should be the strength of the team. Offensive probably won't be as good, but pitching should be better than last year. They will be counting on Soph Matt Tilley to sholder some of the middle of the order power. He was called up from JV last year mid-way and contributed. Not sure if they are championship caliber this year, but they should be playoff caliber for the next couple of years which is a huge upgrade from where they were.

Good thing about baseball is they all paly each other at least twice. so we'll see what happens.

The MIAA is definitely a tougher league than Harco. There's no doubt in my mind that if we had played in the MIAA last year, we'd have won it. Probably not been undefeated, but we'd have won the league. We may be overhyped this year, though, but we'll see.

One more thing. Every year, Calvert Hall's talent infusion is overwhelming. They do a great job at it - without question. There's a great pipeline going, and it translates to success on the field. Here's my question - why does this NOT translate to the same OVERWHELMING success at D1 and minor league draftee levels? Sure, there's a name here and there, but for the most part, the success at the next levels is overshadowed by public and other MIAA schools.

Not Calvert Hall bashing - just wondering.

The MIAA is definitely a tougher league than Harco. There's no doubt in my mind that if we had played in the MIAA last year, we'd have won it. Probably not been undefeated, but we'd have won the league. We may be overhyped this year, though, but we'll see.

One more thing. Every year, Calvert Hall's talent infusion is overwhelming. They do a great job at it - without question. There's a great pipeline going, and it translates to success on the field. Here's my question - why does this NOT translate to the same OVERWHELMING success at D1 and minor league draftee levels? Sure, there's a name here and there, but for the most part, the success at the next levels is overshadowed by public and other MIAA schools.

you're bashing otherwise you wouldn't single out chc, you would lay that claim on the miaa conferance in general.look cmw had agreat year last year and some very talented kids the last few years but the miaa does it year in and year out remember chc with their talent also plays against some of the best talent some years yes cmw could play well in the miaa but year in and year out is very difficult. again its a chc bash.

Now that tryouts have started and basketball is winding down, let us know about suprises at tryouts, progress of returning players, and chances of dethroning Gilman this season in A Conference.

In B, does the graduation of the talented 2010 seniors at St. Francis spell trouble?

Will Calvert Hall find pitching?(They always have). Will the talented Spalding players fall back after losing a great coach?

Palotti anyone? Will they or anyone else be able to stop Annapolis Area?

Well..........

Yes, I think St. Frances will drop back to the middle of the pack in the B red division as will Park. Severn should be strong they bring back just about everybody from last year, their numer one pitcher is very good, but they need to find someone else behind him. Boys Latin and Baltimore Luthern will be contending for playoff spots.

The B black division has some really good talent this year and should be very competitive. I agree that on any given day anybody can beat anybody. AACS made it to the finals last year, so they have to be considered as the front runners. They return most of their roster plus they've added some transfers who should strengthen their team. Pitching is also a strength. However, they will be challenged Friends, Mt. Carmel and Pallotti. Mt. Carmel, also returns most of they're roster and they have some talented players. Sanzone is a pure hitter and will be playing at Salisbury next year and Arciaga will be playing for Coppin State. Friends has a very good number one pitcher and when he's on they can play with anyone. The question is do they have enough pitching behind him? Then there is Pallotti, I'll take them as my dark horse. They started six sophomores last year and still split with AAC and Friends. They also took two out of three from Mt. Carmel. They return everyone of note and those sophomores are another year bigger and stronger. Plus they added a couple of transfers of they're own. One of which I hear is a number 1 type pitcher. Mix in the couple of all county players they have returning and they could make a strong run.

Should be a lot of fun in 2011, let the games begin!!

If you have not competed in the MIAA or played CHC's schedule, you don't know what you are talking about. To play CHC's schedule you need a lot of pitching, not just two. Success not translating to the college leve is a joke. Here is a partial list.

Scott Merkel - Stevenson

Cody Schuelman - Stevenson

Alex Lenovitz - St. Mary's

Bobby Corton - St. Mary's

Luke Trout - St. Mary's

Pat Fitzgerald- Towson (D1)

Mike Trionfo - Towson (D1)

Ryan Swearingen - LaSalle (D1)

Dominic Sgroi - LaSalle (D1)

Ryan Welling - LaSalle (D1)

Jeff Trimmer - Fordham (D1)

Greg Bryant - Naval Academy (D1)

Steve Geiss - Naval Academy (D1)

CT Stanley - York

Eight players form last year's team with 6 playing D1. Not to mention Matt Boose committed to Maryland and Kevin Baron commited to LaSalle.

Let's see the CMW list. Not Bashing just responding. Don't list all the players that were protected by the coach and didn't have grade to get into college. I'm only interest in community college player if they left and played at a 4 year school.

you're bashing otherwise you wouldn't single out chc, you would lay that claim on the miaa conferance in general.look cmw had agreat year last year and some very talented kids the last few years but the miaa does it year in and year out remember chc with their talent also plays against some of the best talent some years yes cmw could play well in the miaa but year in and year out is very difficult. again its a chc bash.

He singled out CHC due to their "overwhelming success" over the past several years and the rest of the MIAA has not. That being said, he is way off base with where the boys go after CHC. Seems to me they have a pretty good success rate in both getting into school to play and being successful. As for professional careers, that involves a special, higher level of talent that comes along very infrequently.

The success rate as you go up the baseball ladder gets smaller & smaller. It is just natural. The competition gets better and the number of potential players get smaller. Although it boggles my mind when you see what scouts are looking for now days. I was at the CHC game on Sat and I noticed 3 pro scouts there. Who could they have possibly been there to see?

The success rate as you go up the baseball ladder gets smaller & smaller. It is just natural. The competition gets better and the number of potential players get smaller. Although it boggles my mind when you see what scouts are looking for now days. I was at the CHC game on Sat and I noticed 3 pro scouts there. Who could they have possibly been there to see?

Bosse i would guess. Who knows, maybe they were bored and wanted to see some ball.

Actually, it was a compliment to CHC. They (you) get the BEST talent - better than everybody. Your on-field success is better than everybody. Just wondering where the disconnect with success at the next level is (not better than everybody - still good though)

If you're debating last year's teams - I still think CMW would have won the MIAA. Two top line pitchers (Ruse & Markey) - both better than anything Calvert Hall had last year. Calvert Hall definitely had better hitting, but I think the pitching through a 16 game MIAA schedule would have beat the hitting.

Otherwise - I see a lot of Towson and LaSalle as D1 schools on your list. Towson is literally right around the corner, and there is probably a connection with LaSalle's program somewhere (neither a top-tier D1 school). Hound Dog - I totally agree with you as far as the pro scouts - boggles the mind.

Actually, it was a compliment to CHC. They (you) get the BEST talent - better than everybody. Your on-field success is better than everybody. Just wondering where the disconnect with success at the next level is (not better than everybody - still good though)

If you're debating last year's teams - I still think CMW would have won the MIAA. Two top line pitchers (Ruse & Markey) - both better than anything Calvert Hall had last year. Calvert Hall definitely had better hitting, but I think the pitching through a 16 game MIAA schedule would have beat the hitting.

Otherwise - I see a lot of Towson and LaSalle as D1 schools on your list. Towson is literally right around the corner, and there is probably a connection with LaSalle's program somewhere (neither a top-tier D1 school). Hound Dog - I totally agree with you as far as the pro scouts - boggles the mind.

Calvert Hall didn't win the MIAA last year.

Calvert Hall didn't win the MIAA last year.

They're discussing the regular season, which Calvert Hall did win.

If they were playing St. Michaels, I am sure they were there to see Kyle Mckelvey RHP who is committed to Coastal Carolina and maybe Parks who is committed to Liberty. Towson (CAA) and Lasalle (A-10) are not top Division I programs but they both play in good mid level D I conferences. Towson produced a major league player last spring and has had 10 kids sign pro contracts in the last 6 years. Lasalle has a rhp Weiss who was drafted out of high school in the 26th round and choose to attend Lasalle. He is draft eligible this year and should be drafted again, probably higher than the 26th round. So both of these schools have some positive aspects, even though they are not the ACC or SEC. Towson just beat Wake Forest on Saturday in their own ballpark. I think we should be positive about the kids and not bash them for not going to top tier D I schools. Kids get drafted all the time from DII, DIII, NAIA. Billy Wagner proabably a HOF went to a DIII school similar to some of the schools that kids from CH have gone on to.

Bosse and Ruse have good futures ahead of them playing at MD. Markey has not given up a run in 2 appearances for Tech. Both CMW and CHC should be proud of their kids moving on and playing ball, no matter where!

Congrats and best of luck to all the players this spring!

You may have qon the MIAA, but you would have had your share of losses also. How many CMW players go to a top tier program. Markey went to Ga Tech but who else. MD is hardy a top tier program. They are building but just being in the ACC does not make you a top tier program. I also forgot Pat Blair went to Wake Forest. By the way Towson and Fordham beat Wake this year.

CMW1 - I am still waiting on your list. Markey will do very well at GA Tech which is a top tier D1 school. However, not all ACC schools are top tier. Maryand is nowhere near a top tier school, but they are headed in the right direction and hopefully they will get there in 3 or 4 years. Pat Blair went to Wake Forest, an ACC school, but they lost to both Towson and Fordham this past weekend. I am sure you can give me 5 or 6 players from CMW that have gone to SEC schools. Your HCC list is impressive. LaSalle also has been impressive and Sgroi has done very well both in relief and as a starter.

You're missing the point. I'm saying that for a school that can get 80 - 90% of the players they target, and then has great success with those players, why we don't hear more of those players at higher levels.

Gonna stay positive and drop this. I agree with you BaltimoreScout.

On a positive note- can we post information about upcoming scrimmages and games? I see that Tunkhannoch PA is in town this weekend and they have a stud Pitcher/Infielder - Mike Papi-that is going to UVA and his name is being tossed around with future draft considerations

There should be a nice mix of Privates vs. Public scrimmages coming up as well as the mix of games with teams from DC and out of state

Best of luck to all for the upcoming season

Loyola scrimmages CM Wright today I believe

Loyola scrimmages River Hill/Frederick March 12th @ River Hill

River Hill and CM Wright have quality pitchers, should be good test for Loyolas' bats

You're missing the point. I'm saying that for a school that can get 80 - 90% of the players they target, and then has great success with those players, why we don't hear more of those players at higher levels.

Gonna stay positive and drop this. I agree with you BaltimoreScout.

We all recognize that CMW has had a tremendous team the past few years and also has sent a few players to some fine D1 Colleges but lets put the brakes on the implication that they are a "dynasty" until they continue their excellence for an more extended period. CHC has a track record in the MIAA over the long haul and I would have to say that a similar school in the Public sector would be Arundel. CMW might be on the way but has a long way to go to be mentioned with these schools over time.

Glad you dropped discussion regarding player talent because we still havent see your list. After Markey and Ruse what you have to back up your statements? A list of D1 and Drafted players from CMW is what you should produce since you are questioning the number of players that CHC has produced that have reached these levels. At your request this list has been posted in response but we still have not seen yours.

Bosse i would guess. Who knows, maybe they were bored and wanted to see some ball.

Who knows why the scouts were at the game? Probably "bird dogs" that want to get a head start on things as it was stated there wasnt a true prospect to see. If I was a scouting director I would be glad my guys were out watching games! In todays times a lot of scouts dont do this as much as they should. In the "old days" scouts might watch 2-3 games a day, sometimes watching a player several times over a season, and put tons of mileage on the vehicle. Hey you never know WHO will show something that a scout will follow up on. The more players these guys see the more chance they have of finding a player!

If they were playing St. Michaels, I am sure they were there to see Kyle Mckelvey RHP who is committed to Coastal Carolina and maybe Parks who is committed to Liberty. Towson (CAA) and Lasalle (A-10) are not top Division I programs but they both play in good mid level D I conferences. Towson produced a major league player last spring and has had 10 kids sign pro contracts in the last 6 years. Lasalle has a rhp Weiss who was drafted out of high school in the 26th round and choose to attend Lasalle. He is draft eligible this year and should be drafted again, probably higher than the 26th round. So both of these schools have some positive aspects, even though they are not the ACC or SEC. Towson just beat Wake Forest on Saturday in their own ballpark. I think we should be positive about the kids and not bash them for not going to top tier D I schools. Kids get drafted all the time from DII, DIII, NAIA. Billy Wagner proabably a HOF went to a DIII school similar to some of the schools that kids from CH have gone on to.

Bosse and Ruse have good futures ahead of them playing at MD. Markey has not given up a run in 2 appearances for Tech. Both CMW and CHC should be proud of their kids moving on and playing ball, no matter where!

Congrats and best of luck to all the players this spring!

st michaels has been very good the past couple of seasons, are parks and mckelvey as good as advertised. there's alot of hype about these two on the eastern shore, i heard chc smacked st michaels around pretty good the last couple of years in early season scrimmages. just wondering if level of comp plays into hype of parks and mckelvey.