Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shellshock

MIAA Baseball 2011

628 posts in this topic

CMW1 The fact of the matter is that CHC does not get the best talent every year. They just get more baseball players than most other schools do. I beleive that the players at CHC get better coaching and more of it. The last time I looked I think they had like 6-7 varsity coaches. That's got to help out tremendously. So I do not think there is a disconnect there between their success and the number of players moving on to big time programs or pro ball. I feel that the typical baseball player that they do get, gets better but only the true prospects move on as expected.

I think that having your AD as the head coach is a huge key to CHC'c recruiting and coaching. It opens up more room in the budget for coaching positions, as the school is going to naturally favor baseball due to the AD. Just like how Loyola has Mike Keeney, a lacrosse coach, as the AD there; they're a lacrosse-oriented school because that's where a little more of the funding goes.

Bosse looked ruff saturday 3 k's long swing and was pulling off the ball badly one scout said .. Granted he just came off the hardwood but it wasnt a very good showing against 2 di pitchers . We will see saturday how he fairs against another d1 chucker from pa. After watching chc they have a loaded line up and displayed that they can handle top pitching ...the question is can thier pitching hold up.. Looks like a lot of high scoring games

I think that having your AD as the head coach is a huge key to CHC'c recruiting and coaching. It opens up more room in the budget for coaching positions, as the school is going to naturally favor baseball due to the AD. Just like how Loyola has Mike Keeney, a lacrosse coach, as the AD there; they're a lacrosse-oriented school because that's where a little more of the funding goes.

Other than the coaches that teach at the school, I do not beleive that the assistant coaches receive any payment. As far as having an AD as the head coach of a sport goes, I really don't think it makes much difference. CHC has had greater attention to baseball due to the alumni who have played there and their contribution back to the baseball program in making it the best facility around. It's just natural that when you get huge alumni donations earmarked for a specific sport that an ergency and anticipation for that particular sport to excel is expected. Just look at what's happening to CHC football. Other MIAA schools should take note.

Other than the coaches that teach at the school, I do not beleive that the assistant coaches receive any payment. As far as having an AD as the head coach of a sport goes, I really don't think it makes much difference. CHC has had greater attention to baseball due to the alumni who have played there and their contribution back to the baseball program in making it the best facility around. It's just natural that when you get huge alumni donations earmarked for a specific sport that an ergency and anticipation for that particular sport to excel is expected. Just look at what's happening to CHC football. Other MIAA schools should take note.

Shhhh, j/k... The Cardinal bats were booming yesterday on LaSalle Avenue as they beat St. Mary's 23-0 in 5 innings.

Northeast over AACS yesterday. Powell and O'Malley for NE throwing hard for early in the year. 1 inning each. Both around 85 to 87 on the gun. Both teams looked good for early in the season.

You're missing the point. I'm saying that for a school that can get 80 - 90% of the players they target, and then has great success with those players, why we don't hear more of those players at higher levels.

Gonna stay positive and drop this. I agree with you BaltimoreScout.

I have been waiting from CMW1’s list. Since he has not produced the list, I have done some research on my own. I may be missing his point, but I take offense when he says that CHC’s success does not translate to the next level. Here is the comparison of some of the CHC players and CMW’s players.

CHC CMW

Bobby Corton – St. Mary’s Brad Markey – Georgia Tech

Alex Lenovits – St. Mary’s

CT Stanley – York College No others found

Brooks Rothschild – Millersville

Ryan Welling – LaSalle

Ryan Swearingen – LaSalle

Dominic Sgroi – LaSalle

Jeff Trimmer – Fordham

Kevin Lingerman – George Mason

Pat Blair – Wake Forest

Sean Lamarre – McDaniel

Cody Schuchman – Stevenson

Scott Merkel – Stevenson

Mike Trionfo – Towson

Pat Fitzgerald – Towson

Blake Geiger - Richmond

Bobby Lucas – George Washington

Greg Bryant – Navy

Steve Geiss – Navy

Reid Chenworth – Maryland

Mike Dillion – Ohio University

Jeff Guthridge – Hofstra

Greg Terry – Eastern Kentucky

Pros

Dave Boswell Jay Witasick

Drafted

Andy Blair – Florida 68th round None

Marty Blair - Texas 44th round (The Citadel)

George Flower – Minnesota 26th round (Vanderbilt)

Joe Gast – Baltimore 13th round

Josh Itzoe – Baltimore 40th round (Wake Forest)

Jon Kibler – Detroit 39th round (Western Carolina)

Scott Krieger – Milwaukee 19th round (George Mason

Brian Matz – Montreal 9th round (Clemson)

Justin Nash – Baltimore 31st round (Penn State)

Tim Sexton – Dodgers 25th round (Miami-Dade)

Joe Velleggia – Baltimore 40th round (Old Dominion)

Bill White – Dodgers 5th round (The Citadel)

Michael Baier – Minnesota 22nd round (University of Maryland)

Chris Bengel – Baltimore 22nd round (The Citade)

You're missing the point. I'm saying that for a school that can get 80 - 90% of the players they target, and then has great success with those players, why we don't hear more of those players at higher levels.

Gonna stay positive and drop this. I agree with you BaltimoreScout.

I have been waiting from CMW1’s list. Since he has not produced the list, I have done some research on my own. I may be missing his point, but I take offense when he says that CHC’s success does not translate to the next level. Here is the comparison of some of the CHC players and CMW’s players.

CMW

Pros – Jay Witasick

DraftedNone

Currently Playing in College

Brad Markey – Georgia Tech

CHC

Pros – Dave Boswell

Drafted

Andy Blair – Florida 68th round

Marty Blair - Texas 44th round (The Citadel)

George Flower – Minnesota 26th round (Vanderbilt)

Joe Gast – Baltimore 13th round

Josh Itzoe – Baltimore 40th round (Wake Forest)

Jon Kibler – Detroit 39th round (Western Carolina)

Scott Krieger – Milwaukee 19th round (George Mason

Brian Matz – Montreal 9th round (Clemson)

Justin Nash – Baltimore 31st round (Penn State)

Tim Sexton – Dodgers 25th round (Miami-Dade)

Joe Velleggia – Baltimore 40th round (Old Dominion)

Bill White – Dodgers 5th round (The Citadel)

Michael Baier – Minnesota 22nd round (University of Maryland)

Chris Bengel – Baltimore 22nd round (The Citade)

Currently Playing in College

Bobby Corton – St. Mary’s

Alex Lenovits – St. Mary’s

CT Stanley – York College

Brooks Rothschild – Millersville

Ryan Welling – LaSalle

Ryan Swearingen – LaSalle

Dominic Sgroi – LaSalle

Jeff Trimmer – Fordham

Kevin Lingerman – George Mason

Pat Blair – Wake Forest

Sean Lamarre – McDaniel

Cody Schuchman – Stevenson

Scott Merkel – Stevenson

Mike Trionfo – Towson

Pat Fitzgerald – Towson

Blake Geiger - Richmond

Bobby Lucas – George Washington

Greg Bryant – Navy

Steve Geiss – Navy

Reid Chenworth – Maryland

Mike Dillion – Ohio University

Jeff Guthridge – Hofstra

Greg Terry – Eastern Kentucky

I'm not sure why I'm jumping into this discussion, but I think his original point was that if Calvert Hall gets all of the top talent in the area, how come none of those kids end up as big time stars in college and/or the pros. However, I don't think that's a reflection on Calvert Hall's program, just a reflection in the quality of baseball in the state of Maryland in general. Clearly, the majority of Calvert Hall's players go on to play ball in college at some level, but none are playing at any of the top notch D1 schools (Miami, Texas, etc.) and none are "names" in the pros like Texeira. That might not have been what he was driving at, but that was my interpretation.

Any details on the CMW Loyola Scrimmage. . I know they have John Carroll next I believe

How about John Carroll/Patterson Mill? They were scheduled for yesterday. Gilman over BL yesterday.

Any details on the CMW Loyola Scrimmage. . I know they have John Carroll next I believe

CMW-11

Loyola-1

How bout the fact that the talent level in maryland is watered down and only reaches a certain level these days.

How bout the fact that the talent level in maryland is watered down and only reaches a certain level these days.

How about 2AM you're so sleepy or drunk you will say all kinds of dumb stuff.

I'm not sure why I'm jumping into this discussion, but I think his original point was that if Calvert Hall gets all of the top talent in the area, how come none of those kids end up as big time stars in college and/or the pros. However, I don't think that's a reflection on Calvert Hall's program, just a reflection in the quality of baseball in the state of Maryland in general. Clearly, the majority of Calvert Hall's players go on to play ball in college at some level, but none are playing at any of the top notch D1 schools (Miami, Texas, etc.) and none are "names" in the pros like Texeira. That might not have been what he was driving at, but that was my interpretation.

CMW1 does not understand the quality of baseball players throughout the country. Although CHC has been nationally ranked several times, we know that there were 50 teams in Texas, 50 teams in Florida, and 50 teams in California better than them. CMW gets ranked and they actually believe that the are the 8th best team in the country. CHC prepares its players not only in baseball skills, but also academically to play at the next level, as do other MIAA schools. From what I have seen, the better players at CMW are not prepared academically and therefore never get the chance to play at the next level. Looks like Markey and Ruse has changed this somewaht and hopefully the trend will continue. It is not the high school coaches responsibility to prepare players for the pros, that happens in the players heart and with the college coach.

Spalding beat Broadneck 11-0

Spalding beat North Point 7-5

They've now gone 4-0, not a bad start

On a positive note- can we post information about upcoming scrimmages and games? I see that Tunkhannoch PA is in town this weekend and they have a stud Pitcher/Infielder - Mike Papi-that is going to UVA and his name is being tossed around with future draft considerations

There should be a nice mix of Privates vs. Public scrimmages coming up as well as the mix of games with teams from DC and out of state

Best of luck to all for the upcoming season

calvert hall 18 tunkhannoch pa. 3

River Hill 11 Loyola 10

Loyola 10 Frederick 2

Scores are probably off a little, but the overall results are correct

Spalding beat Broadneck 11-0

Spalding beat North Point 7-5

They've now gone 4-0, not a bad start

I was at the second game against North Point, Spalding was down 5-1 bottom of sixth and they hit four home runs in two innings, Neary had a solo shot, Clarke hit a two run shot, Smallenbrook solo shot all in the sixth to tie the game, Neary then hit a walk off two run homer to win it, Both of Nearys homeruns were bombs that cleared the fences by 50 feet, Effective pitching from Williams & Grill. Was not at the first game but heard it was a complete mismatch. If there is a better TEAM in the state I would like to see what Spalding would do to them. League play starts next week & it should be interesting.

Spalding v. Broadneak Pitching:

- clark

- Smallenbroek

- Alcorn

Spalding v. North Point Pitching:

- Williams

- Grant

- Grill

Spaldings pitching seem deep, they should be a tough team to beat.