Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pickle20

Kayaking the Patapsco

47 posts in this topic

Bowie-Bruce, I am hoping you chime in!

I am planning on kayaking the Patapsco tomorrow from Woodstock to Daniels. Nothing crazy, that part of the river is flat water for the most part from what I can tell (I have never done it before although I am running it with people who have) and I am wondering what I should expect after all this rain we've had.

Should we do it? Is it too dangerous? Would the rain we've had make the run more entertaining?

Any help would be appreciated!

That stretch of the Patapsco should be a good segment for you to run, given all the rain we have had lately. Nothing too crazy in terms of rapids; your most interesting stretch of whitewater (depending upon the river level) will come just before the Davis tunnel portion of the railroad tracks. A little upriver from that, you will pass by a small island--one of my favorite camping spots; just don't tell the rangers. :D

Put in at Woodstock can be a little tricky, as I suspect that fairly steep river bank will be slick. Take out at Daniels is a breeze; DNR constructed a gravel/step pathyway a few years back.

When you're feeling more confident, you can run the river from below Daniels Dam down to Ellicott City--a favorite segment for Alienrace and I. I've done some unplanned swimming there before.

Enjoy! You would be hard pressed to find a better way to spend an afternoon.

I haven't done that stretch but the part from the avalon area to the boat ramp in baltimore highlands is pretty bad. It gets shallow and very mucky.

The gunpowder is a lot more fun, deep clean water and a lot nicer scenery when it warms up. All those college girls tubing down the river in skimpy bathing suits!

I did the codorus run a couple weeks ago. It was cold but the river was at a decent level for some exciting white water.

That stretch of the Patapsco should be a good segment for you to run, given all the rain we have had lately. Nothing too crazy in terms of rapids; your most interesting stretch of whitewater (depending upon the river level) will come just before the Davis tunnel portion of the railroad tracks. A little upriver from that, you will pass by a small island--one of my favorite camping spots; just don't tell the rangers. :D

Put in at Woodstock can be a little tricky, as I suspect that fairly steep river bank will be slick. Take out at Daniels is a breeze; DNR constructed a gravel/step pathyway a few years back.

When you're feeling more confident, you can run the river from below Daniels Dam down to Ellicott City--a favorite segment for Alienrace and I. I've done some unplanned swimming there before.

Enjoy! You would be hard pressed to find a better way to spend an afternoon.

Thanks!

BTW, I'd love to do the full run to E.C. some time, but the report I read on AW kinda scared me since I am a novice kayaker. What do you think?

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/735/

I know there are probably some good rapids there after hard rain, but would I have trouble with it? Would I need a skirt?

I still haven't bought a kayak. I'm still looking at a pelican with ram-x for 200.00 at b.j.'s

comes with paddle and car carrier. any kayak purchase advice from you pro's.

I still haven't bought a kayak. I'm still looking at a pelican with ram-x for 200.00 at b.j.'s

comes with paddle and car carrier. any kayak purchase advice from you pro's.

What are you looking to do? Those bargain boats are ok for flat water but if you want to do any kind of moving water get a real boat with some stability and some interior support for your hips/knees/feet.

starrkmoon kayaks in delta pa usually has a lot of boats in stock and the guy brad is great to talk to and deal with. He won't rip you off and he sells a lot of used stuff at pretty good rates.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Starrkmoon-Kayaks/100000839745970

I did Woodstock to Daniels on Saturday. The river was at a good level, there were some minor rapids which were fun to go through, but the water was cold!

On a side note, I hadn't been to Daniels in probably 15 years. It used to be so nice and rural back there, which was nice since it was still so close to route 40. Not anymore....the state park is still great but the area surrounding it is filled with McMansions. URGH!!!

where are the mcmansions that surround the daniels area?

are you talking about dogwood rd? wrights mill? the newer developments off davis ave?

What are you looking to do? Those bargain boats are ok for flat water but if you want to do any kind of moving water get a real boat with some stability and some interior support for your hips/knees/feet.

starrkmoon kayaks in delta pa usually has a lot of boats in stock and the guy brad is great to talk to and deal with. He won't rip you off and he sells a lot of used stuff at pretty good rates.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Starrkmoon-Kayaks/100000839745970

thanks, I will check it out I didn't want to spend alot of money I know people that got them used them for several months then quit.

where are the mcmansions that surround the daniels area?

are you talking about dogwood rd? wrights mill? the newer developments off davis ave?

Anywhere there wasn't a house 15 years ago.

I remember the drive up Rogers Ave and Old Frederick Road to Daniels Road to be pretty rural.

I am just mourning the Ellicott City sprawl that has turned one of my favorite places on Earth into another generic aluminum siding extravaganza. E.C. used to feel like the country and I loved exploring the woods and places around there. Now I'd be trespassing on someone's property if I did that.

ok you're on the HC side. i think of daniels as the BC side of the world, but that just because i live on that side.

I drove down River Rd from Elliott City to the simkins place for the first time in years today. Shocking changes. I could not believe how thin and fast the river was running. I am sure that ot will be much more healthy now but I did have some sweet bass spots in there that are gone now.

As a side note, simkins and the old mill house ruins look terrible and dangerous.

You got that right! I've never fished that part of the river due to that mill/dump. It looks like it has some depth to it from the bridge.

I was fishing off the swinging bridge back in high school and an idiot buddy of mine managed to fall over grabbing a falling fishing rod. He landed on his feet in about three of water and was somehow ok. He even landed the fish.

I never laughed so hard in my life.

nowhere on the patapsco sounds fun to me. unless you're talking about tidal patapsco past ocean vessles. now that sounds fun!

I am surprised how low the river was last week, even after all that rain. I was thinking about running Daniels to Avalon on Sunday but I think I will look elsewhere. Does anyone know how that part of the river is running? American Whitewater says its below recommended levels.

I am surprised how low the river was last week, even after all that rain. I was thinking about running Daniels to Avalon on Sunday but I think I will look elsewhere. Does anyone know how that part of the river is running? American Whitewater says its below recommended levels.

Don't go by the AW page, they haven't updated since the Holofield gauge went back online.

Here is the link http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv/?site_no=01589000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,62619,62620,00062,00054

If the level is above 2.0, or 175cfs, you are good to go, so it's running now(though a bit scrapey), and we are supposed to get a lot of rain this week. The level dropped quickly last week because the dam wasn't overflowing, but it is now, so it'll hold water much longer.

That stretch of river(Daniels to Avalon) has an issue, and that is the river being closed from Old Frederick road to the old Union Dam site. If you want to run to Avalon, you'll need to hike down to where Union Dam was and put in there. Otherwise, if you launch at Daniels, you'll have to take out at Old Frederick road, which is a fine, but short trip in and of itself.

With the rain you might consider a Gaither Road to Woodstock trip(or even down to Daniels if you want a long trip). This stretch has a ton of whitewater, lots of class II and III-, plus one class IV that I would recommend porting.

The Union Dam site to Ellicott City is a terrific, and suprisingly very scenic run. The gorge is spectacular, and the whitewater is continuous for over two miles. There are five class III rapids at the end of the run, though with higher water they'll drift into the IV- range. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for novices though, because you will likely swim.

nowhere on the patapsco sounds fun to me. unless you're talking about tidal patapsco past ocean vessles. now that sounds fun!

Great. Tell everyone you know not to come. The fewer the better.

i have walked the trail alongside of daniels section of the river (below the dam) practically every day for the last 15 years or so. i have never seen the river as high or fast as it is now. i don't own a kayak, in fact, i have never been in one. looking at this river now is forcing me to consider it for the first time. is this a death wish or is it something a newbie like me should try?

i have walked the trail alongside of daniels section of the river (below the dam) practically every day for the last 15 years or so. i have never seen the river as high or fast as it is now. i don't own a kayak, in fact, i have never been in one. looking at this river now is forcing me to consider it for the first time. is this a death wish or is it something a newbie like me should try?

You owe it to yourself to give kayaking a try at least once. For a first timer, I would recommend first putting in above Daniels for some flatwater paddling so that you can get the hang of things with paddle strokes, turning, and balance. Just the feel of being in a kayak. Once you get comfortable, start below the dam and paddle down to the Old Frederick Road bridge, where there is a not too difficult take out area just after the bridge, on the Howard County side. This segment is short, but will provide you with some minor rapids and major scenery (the view upriver after your first notable rapid, with the deep river gorge beyond, reminds one of Western Maryland).