Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tinkb

Girls AAU/Club Basketball 2011

509 posts in this topic

so please don't take this the wrong way. I consistently see you argue that there is no developing in this area but yet and still there are girls getting accoloades and earning free rides to schools.

I think that you can answer your own question if you are honest with yourself. Look within and around yourself too see if you are helping or hurting the situation. What actions are constituted as developing talent?

How can you develop talent or gain experience when one is constantly scrutinized and undermined??? I mean, everyone, even you, had to start somewhere. I think that there are many people in the DMV who are capable and willing to step up to the development plate but when they do you have your long standing coaches /pundits like yourself who kill the dream before it even comes to fruition. Killing any thoughts or ideas that maybe this upstart or newcomer could bring something to the table. It seems that only way to respected within the "in crowd" is to be a local joker with an urban legend playground legacy or have the pedigree of a variable WNBA or NBA player. Both are capable of doing the job but not the ONLY ones.

All in all its just too much negativity in this circuit for any sane person who doesen't have a vested interest in it to even deal with. I mean from the critics/pundits/haters alike, to the sorriest kid's parents demanding playing time, or worse not getting ANY parental support at all, to the critics like yourself who put down upstarts and anything they are not familiar with it is just too much of a headache to deal with. The thing is, with your rhetoric you may get your point across and the coach quits or is dismissed but in the end, no one suffers but that beautiful, smart , lanky girl who can ball but is not getting the development needed to make it to the next level.

Most people involved in this youth game or that get involved do so by volunteering. So the motivation has to come from either a desire to coach or the desire to help kids. When you mix in the politics, gossip, innuendo that comes along with accepting that role it can drive a normal man to drink. Trust me I know.

There are many different roads that these girls can travel that will get these young ladies to Scholarship Dr. but because they choose or have chosen a different route traveled by you or your organization it shouldn't be discounted or dismissed.

AllSeeingEye, I didn't mean to single you out because I have heard alot of the same from many of the pundits/coaches/parents in the DMV. It's just my 2 cents in this ongoing war. I hope you and I can still be cordial. I just get tired of the redundancy year after year without anyone really having a true answer or a way to rectify the problem.

Well put, IT. If the local orgs weren't doing the job we wouldn't see the so called connected crews running up into this area trying to snatch up these girls that somebody is developing. There is always room for improvement but I feel like most of the negativity comes from those with an agenda to promote their own agenda.

Do any of you all remember Chasity Clayton, at 6-2 one of the most athletic players to ever come through the DMV. By her own admission she sucked as a frosh and soph at Bishop O'Connell. As a rising junior and senior she did the work and ended up ranked in the top 40 of her class. She then ended up as ACC All-Freshman at Florida State!

For what it may be worth--for example sake--a Team Unique production.

How many girls that played with Team Unique last year got a free ride to college?

Here we go with that special brand of foolishness once again, IT SEEMS; possibly that particular brand of BS!

Of the thirteen seniors to come through the program in the last year, every one of them was offered at least a partial scholarship to play college basketball for free; this extends the resume once again to a 100 percent success ratio for twelve years of playing, in terms of helping girls get in college!

Congrats to Bri Jones for being nominated player of the year by 695 hoops and also being invited to the Nike Skills Academy in May!! Great Job and Hard work pays off.

Just who would those 25 or so players be?

is what I've been wanting to get answered. Does anyone know who those talented 25 are and who they are balling with this summer???

I think it's virtually impossible to find more than maybe 2/3 people in the entire DMV who've actually developed and actually develop talent!

That's funny - that may be because there aren't enough 'coaches' who claim to know so much about basketball and developing kids willing to coach at the elementary level. They won't teach kids how to dribble, footwork or ballhandling, they want these kids to have it when they snatch them up. Maybe if these same coaches spent more time teaching early then the later stages will be a lot easier...

What is the process for getting an invite to the Nike skills camps. Just wondering. Is it based solely on exposure level from playing on the club circuit, or is there a "who do you know" component. Also, is there an apllication process or do the girls just get a letter saying they were chosen. How many girls are chosen? Who are they?

Anyone with answers, i'd appreciate it.

YEAH, In your opinion, who are the "magic 25" girls in the area? Not counting seniors who have already committed to a college program.

Here we go with that special brand of foolishness once again, IT SEEMS; possibly that particular brand of BS!

Of the thirteen seniors to come through the program in the last year, every one of them was offered at least a partial scholarship to play college basketball for free; this extends the resume once again to a 100 percent success ratio for twelve years of playing, in terms of helping girls get in college!

Inquiring minds what to know who are the 13 seniors and what schools are they going too?

What is the process for getting an invite to the Nike skills camps. Just wondering. Is it based solely on exposure level from playing on the club circuit, or is there a "who do you know" component. Also, is there an apllication process or do the girls just get a letter saying they were chosen. How many girls are chosen? Who are they?

The player don't necessarily have to be all that--her political pedigree just needs to be tight enough to go along with the right hype and the right production on the circuit.

Inquiring minds what to know who are the 13 seniors and what schools are they going too?

A sampling, for those of you who be THAT pressed to know: Clemson; Syracuse; Cornell; Massachusetts; George Washington; Middle Tennessee State; Manhattan; and, six more!

A sampling, for those of you who be THAT pressed to know: Clemson; Syracuse; Cornell; Massachusetts; George Washington; Middle Tennessee State; Manhattan; and, six more!

You dodge around the question again. I asked, "who are the 13 seniors and what schools are they going too?"

Nike Skills Academy was formed as part of a mass meeting to improve basketball on the grassroots level. This meeting was spawned after the USA Basketball lost in the olympics. The meeting included the NBA Commisioner, John Thompson, Coach K, all the major shoe company heads, AAU President, NBA players union head, several high level AAU coaches, former and current players and pretty much anyone else that had influence in the basketball world men and women. They emphasized many things from training of coaches on AAU level, high school and up, to improving facilities and youth programs. The plan to form an NBA developmental league was submitted now called the NBA D-League. Nike's part was to form skills academies. The first year there were 4 with 40 kids invited to each and the top 40 out of the 160 kids was invited to a national skills academy in Colorado. This was the phasing out of the Youth Development Festival which was done every two years. The following year a 5th location was added in Texas as the state was said to be so talent heavy it needed it's own. In those days being part of a Nike program was a plus to get you in but not required, they also included rising seniors and did evaluations for national selection. Ganon Baker wad hired by Nike to run the events, you had to be the elite of the elite to get in and many were left out. College coaches with pull could make a call or someone close to Mary Thompson could pull some strings but 40 was the max.

The following year rising seniors were not included as they were all heading to college and monopolizing the process. It, however skewed the 2010 class as this was their time to shine, but it made the selection of players more relevent to the target group. Nike also eliminated the Friday session a good move as the majority of kids either had to miss school or were late for the first day. The next year (last year), Nike restructured and change the head from Mary Thompson to Illene Houser and also increased the size amounts from 40 kids per academy to 80. This became too many, although kids that weren't connected weren't left out as much it became somewhat unmanageable. Another change that softened up the camp was having them all on the same weekend with different trainers running them. We learned that everyone can't be Ganon last year.

This year Nike has bumped up to 8 skills academies across the country while maintaining the 80 kids per number. The Hampton & Atlanta locations should be the best ran with Hampton being similar to the GBSA last summer and Dee Brown running the south. With so many kids being invited (640), it kind of waters the event down from the exclusivity of previous years, but still an honor to be selected. Harder to really see and judge 80 kids than it is 40, however the purpose of NSA is to give kids a tool and a plan to take home and get better and improve the overall quality of basketball in the U.S. However scouting services can also view kids, AAU coaches can look for players ect. College coaches can't attend... So to answer the question, if you have attended before you will get an invite, several AAU and club coaches submit names, scouting services submit names, college coaches submit names and some players are just known. Definitely an honorto be selected but again with 80 not many will be left out in fact a few may just stumble in.

is what I've been wanting to get answered. Does anyone know who those talented 25 are and who they are balling with this summer???

Ok so I'm asked who are these 25 kids. The 25 is a metaphor that is based on an actual list of some of the names change kids are added and kids are dropped because your only as good as your last game/tourney/season in the eyes of many and body of work can go ou of the window during down time. This is not exclusive to 2011 but it happens every year. *Naming the 25 is not an exact science but it's fairly easy to figure out if you know the formula. *In brief you are more than likely one of the 25 if you meet 3 of a list of 12 things such as.

1) Have been invited to tryout or have been in serious conversations about participating in USA Basketball by someone on or connected to the selection committee.

2) Have participated in an elite combine. Meaning high level invitation only event that was exclusive and "FREE TO INVITES". For example NSA, Top Ten All American Camp, YDF, and the like.

3) Have not committed to a college AND are in the 2012-2015 class. (see future post on the pros and cons of early committal and when should I panic).

4) You are 6'3" and above and/or can dunk a basketball.

5) Your name appears in at least 2 national top 100 rankings or at least 1 major national top 50 ranking.

6) You have been selected as an All American or All American Honorable Mention.

I can go on, but I think you can see how this is going. Note: There is no mention of what hs team you played on.

Big up's to the D.M.V ladies that has been invited to the 2011 nike skills academy that will be held at the BOO WILLIAMS COMPLEX on may 14-15LINDSAY ALLEN 2013

INFINITY ALSTON 2013

TASHA BUTLER 2013

A'LEXUS HARRISON 2013

TYSHELL KING 2013

JANNAH TUCKER 2013

CYD COLE 2014

for the young ladies I miss this goes for you to....hard work pays off.

Who is "Tasha Butler"? Is she related to "Tasia Butler"? "All my life I had to fight" ~ Oprah

You dodge around the question again. I asked, "who are the 13 seniors and what schools are they going too?"

The 13 are signed, sealed, and have deen delivered; what are you up your butt about NOW? What you be fishing for, dude? Do you have a point with this plastic line of inquiry? It's quite clear to anyone of basic intelligence on this board that you're quite bright and resourcefull.

Dude, you damn well know who most of these girls are.

There's no point in rehashing any of this for you to have the perverse pleasure of fostering intrigue and drama; in otherwords, I'll holler at you when the next batch of Team Unique recruits is ready to get paid.

Back to work!

The 13 are signed, sealed, and have deen delivered; what are you up your butt about NOW? What you be fishing for, dude? Do you have a point with this plastic line of inquiry? It's quite clear to anyone of basic intelligence on this board that you're quite bright and resourcefull.

Dude, you damn well know who most of these girls are.

There's no point in rehashing any of this for you to have the perverse pleasure of fostering intrigue and drama; in otherwords, I'll holler at you when the next batch of Team Unique recruits is ready to get paid.

Back to work!

You should of been a politician because you know how to spin things. Just answer the question.

Well put, IT. If the local orgs weren't doing the job we wouldn't see the so called connected crews running up into this area trying to snatch up these girls that somebody is developing. There is always room for improvement but I feel like most of the negativity comes from those with an agenda to promote their own agenda.

Some people are able to teach kids that aren't able to play the basics and are really good at it, some are good at working with kids that have skill at refining them. Not many people can do both. There are a select few that can take a kid with skill and game and teach them how to play basketball.

Clemson- Quinyotta Pettway

Syracuse- Tiara Butler

Cornell- Joelle Davidson

Massachusetts- Talen Watson

George Washington- Chelisa Painter

Middle Tennesee State- Janay Brinkley

Manhattan- Brandone Roberts

Can we move on please? I've just used my last allotted post for the month of March.

Boo Williams Summer League - MD Girls Basketball

TRYOUTS - BOO WILLIAMS SUMMER LEAGUE - MARYLAND

14U, 15U, and 16U

Saturday, March 19th from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM

Crusader Field House

1133 Largo Road

Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20744

http://www.eteamz.com/bwslgirlsbballmd/

Are tryouts open to eigth graders?

Syracuse- Tiara Butler

Cornell- Joelle Davidson

Can we move on please? I've just used my last allotted post for the month of March.

Point well taken; I've long moved on past the busters and jokesters!!

Syracuse- Tiara Butler

Cornell- Joelle Davidson

Tinkb or should I say IH, how much developing of Pettway did you have since she lived in NC and Painter being from Chesapeake, VA? Also, you said there were 13. Where are the others? If I put 13 players in college like you said, I would name everyone of them. You are going to come on this board and talk BS all the time and when I call you out on it you want to spin it. Another question is how many years did those players play with you? Don't try and spin like you always do. Just answer the question.