Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tinkb

Girls AAU/Club Basketball 2011

509 posts in this topic

Locally, 9 teams made the trip to the 757 and 6 came back with decent results. The FLAMES and DC HEAT both went 3-0 in pool play in the Pat Williams Division (3rd) and reached the quarterfinals. The FLAMES then got knocked off by the GA VOLS by 7 and the HEAT lost, 59-55, to the NJ SPARKS. The SHOOTING STARS 13 made the semfinals after going 3-0 before getting dispatched by SPORTS QUEST. The FLAMES, HEAT and SHOOTING STARS had the strongest finishes of the locals but the aforementioned SHOOTING STARS TEAM MARYLAND, SHOOTING STARS 14 and another DC HEAT team all finished 2-1 in pool play and had respectable showings. The FAIRFAX STARS - DIX 14U are 4-0 and in the 14U championship game.

Mamba:

Excellent reporting as usual. Our Stars 16U "Gold" and 17U Senior team competed in the mandatory adidas Hoosier tournament in IN. Gold went 3-1 and finished 5th in the top division--Red Elite. We were happy with the top 5 finsih for these compelling reasons:

1. Our only lost was close and it came after the talents played their 2nd game after an 11-hour drive.

2. We played this tournament without PGs Hagins and Holehouse. Also, Etienne is rehabing as well.

3. We defeated the IN elite (a team that destroyed us last year) that resulted in us jumping the ranks 20 spots.

Our 17Us went 2-2 but seem to be developing cohesion. From reading the postings, it appears that all of our MD teams represented well in other states. It is clear that collectively, the DMV have some serious talent. We extend our kudos to all the programs and teams this past weekend.

themamba ranks the top teams coming out of the Spring evaluation period. Though this period is most important to the individual talents, these teams provide the ultimate competition and possess a majority of the most talented prospects in the land.

DFW T-JACK comes out the gates, swinging, with a Boo Williams Nike Invitational crown where the tournament featured of the top 10 ranked teams in the country. MJ, JJ and CJ are part of the T-JACKson 5 that the elite team from the Dallas will have perform on a daily basis. MORIAH JEFFERSON, the top guard in the country, scored 12 points in the final and was named tourney MVP. JORDAN JONES, a top 40 prospect from DESOTO, and CHELSEA JENKINS, a top 60 prospect from NORTH CROWLEY, compliment JEFFERSON and add to any opposing guard's misery. KRISTINA HIGGINS, their only legitimate college-sized post at 6'4, didn't make the trip to the 757. No worries as DFW T-JACK applied the pressure to the BELLES and won the final in the name of their namesake, Marques Jackson.

The BELLES had steamrolled through their pool and beat BOO WILLIAMS rather handily in the semifinals before meeting T-JACK. BREANNA STEWART played like the top player in the country, scoring 26 points in the semi versus BOO, including 18 in the first half despite being saddled with foul trouble. STEWART managed 16 against T-JACK and guard DESTINY BROWN led the BELLES, scoring 18 in the final. CY FAIR shocked the FLIGHT in the quarterfinals and CAL STORM TEAM TAURASI tool the Silver championship after losing a pool game to T-JACK by 8. ESSENCE advanced to the quarterfinals, losing to BOO by 3, as '13 top prospect IEASHIA SMALL led the PURPLE. WEST COAST PREMIER made a nice run, going undefeated in pool play before getting dispatched by the BELLES in the quarters.

The LADY FIRE of Chicago, familiar to some as WHITNEY YOUNG, took the Deep South, beating UNITED RED of Texas, 62-54 in the final. The FIRE also beat top 20 CAL SPARKS and a pair of top 50's in INDY SPEICE GYM RATS and PEAK PERFORMANCE of Georgia. The SPARKS only loss was to the FIRE after losing to CAL STORM TEAM TAURASI in last week''s Cal Sparks tourney semifinal.

SPORTS CITY won the top bracket of the Windy City Classic, beating top 10 MIDWEST ELITE, 84-73, in the final. SPORTS CITY beat MICHIGAN TOP 10 and ILLINOIS DREAM TEAM, among their 4 pool games, and won all by double-digits. NORTHWEST BLAZERS won the Arizona Elite Classic, beating MRC REBELS. The SPOKANE STARS and TEAM CONCEPT were among the top flight teams competing in the desert.

1.) DFW T-JACK >>> Won Boo Williams Nike Invitational, beating PHILLY BELLES, 68-63. Beat GA ELITE by 35, FAMILY by 42 and top 5 TEAM TAURASI by 8 in pool play. Beat CY FAIR NIKE ELITE for a second time in 2 weeks, in semifinals.

2.) PHILLY BELLES >>> Finished 2nd at the Boo Williams Nike Invitational. Beat a pair of top 10's in WEST COAST PREMIER and BOO WILLIAMS. Won their 3 pool games by a total of 51 points.

3.) CY FAIR NIKE ELITE >>> Boo Williams semfinalist. Shocked the FLIGHT and lost in semifinals to eventual champion, T-JACK. Beat 3 ranked teams in pool.

4.) TENNESSEE FLIGHT >>> Boo Williams quarterfinalist. Won 3 pool games by a combined 114 points, including beating the GAUCHOS by 28 and DFW WASHINGTON ELITE by 38.

5.) CAL STORM TEAM TAURASI >>> Boo Williams Silver champion. Only loss was to T-JACK, 56-48. Beat top 20's, DFW WASHINGTON and ARKANSAS MAVERICKS, by 12 and 12, respectively.

6.) SPORTS CITY U >>> Won Windy City Classic, beating MIDWEST ELITE, 84-73, in championship. Won all 4 pool games by double-digits.

7.) WEST COAST PREMIER >>> Bounced back from EBX loss last week with a quarterfinal finish. Beat top 15 GEORGIA ICE and beat WESTSIDE ELITE by 34. Only loss was to BELLES.

8.) MIDWEST ELITE >>> Finished 2nd to SPORTS CITY U in the Windy City Classic. Won all 4 pool games by double-digits.

9.) BOO WILLIAMS >>> Boo Williams Nike Invitational semifinalist. Won all 3 pool games by double-digits and a combined 60 points.Beat ESSENCE by 3 in the quarterfinals.

10.) ESSENCE >>> Boo Williams Nike Invitational quarterfinalist. Went 3-0 in pool play including 20 point win over top 25 FBC SOUTHEAST.

11.) LADY FIRE >>> Won Deep South Classic. Won 3 games by 56,21 and 20 points and beat 4 top 50 teams in Raleigh.

12.) CAL SPARKS GOLD >>> Lost to eventual champion LADY FIRE by 3. Beat CY FAIR PREMIER WHITE by 11 and MIAMI SUNS by 16.

13.) DFW WASHINGTON ELITE >>> Boo Williams Silver bracket semifinalist. Beat GAUCHOS and ALL OHIO. Only losses were to top 5's, FLIGHT and TEAM TAURASI.

14.) ARKANSAS MAVERICKS >>> Boo Williams Silver bracket semifinalist. Beat GEORGIA ICE and AOT REBELS.

15.) GEORGIA ICE >>> Boo Williams Silver bracket quarterfinalist. Lost 2 games, both by 3 points, to MAVS and WEST COAST PREMIER.

16.) CAL SWISH >>> Won USJN LA tourney.

17.) EXODUS >>> Walk with me, 'til we hit summer.

18.) FAIRFAX STARS >>> Boo Williams Nike Invitational quarterfinalist. Beat top 50's GEORGIA METROS, NORTH TARTAN and EAST BAY XPLOSION in pool play.

19.) ALL OHIO >>> Boo Williams Silver bracket quarterfinalist. Beat Bronze champion FBC BLUE and lost to DFW WASHINGTON ELITE by 3.

20.) UNITED RED >>> Finished 2nd in Deep South Classic. Beat SC 76ers, TREE OF HOPE, MEMPHIS ELITE and WIGGINS WAVES.

Edit/Delete Message

21.) SC 76ers >>> Beat MN METRO STARS in Deep South and only loss was to UNITED RED by 1.

22.) FBC SOUTHEAST >>> Boo Williams Silver bracket semifinalist. Lost, 62-57, to ARKANSAS MAVERICKS in semifinal. Beat ALL IOWA.

23.) FBC BLUE >>> Boo Williams Bronze Division champs. Beat AOT REBELS and GA ELITE. Lost to CY FAIR NIKE ELITE by 1 and ALL OHIO by 3.

24.) GEORGIA METROS >>> Boo Williams Silver bracket quarterfinalist. Beat NORTH TARTAN and EAST BAY XPLOSION. Lost to FAIRFAX STARS by 3 and TEAM TAURASI.

25.) NORTHWEST BLAZERS >>> Won Arizona Elite Classic. Won 3 pool games by 127 points. Beat SPOKANE STARS.

26.)S AOT REBEL >>> Boo Williams Bronze bracket finalist. Beat WESTSIDE ELITE. Lost to BELLES by 12 and ARKANSAS MAVERICKS by 5.

27.) ALL IOWA >>> Boo Williams Silver bracket quarterfinalist. Lost to FBC SE by 6 in quarterfinal. Went 2-1 in pool play.

28.) WIGGINS WAVES >>> Finished as semifinalist in Deep South Classic. Beat ILLINOIS X-CITEMENT, KC SELECT WHITE and RI BREAKERS. Lost to UNITED RED by 2.

29.) CENTRAL FLORIDA ELITE >>> Won Joe Smith Division championship at Boo Williams. Beat TENNESSEE FLIGHT NAVY and UKRAINE NATIONAL team in pool play.

30.) MINNESOTA METRO STARS >>> Beat TREE OF HOPE, CONNECTICUT LADY BLAZERS and KC SELECT WHITE at Deep South.

31.) ARIZONA WARRIORS >>> Runner-up in Joe Smith Division, losing to CFE by 8. Won pool games by 19, 15 and 37.

32.) GAUCHOS >>> Boo Williams Bronze bracket quarterfinalist, Lost to FBC BLUE by 3 in quarterfinals. Lost to DFW WASHINGTON ELITE by 5 in pool play.

33.) GEORGIA ELITE >>> Boo Williams Bronze bracket semifinalist Beat NORTH TARTAN in quarterfinals.

next; NORTH TARTAN, RI BREAKERS, KENTUCKY PREMIER, INDY SPEICE GYM RATS, MICHIGAN CROSSOVER, EAST BAY XPLOSION, WESTSIDE ELITE, BELLES-BRAMFORD, CY FAIR PREMIER WHITE, JAX LADY RAMS, GSB, UTAH FLIGHT, PHILLY COMETS

notes; CENTRAL JERSEY HAWKS won the Blue Chip in Richmond over the POTOMAC VALLEY VOGUES. CENTRAL FLORIDA ELITE, essentially the ORLANDO COMETS 15U from a year ago, won the Joe Smith Division championship at Boo Williams without their best player, RONNI WILLIAMS. EASTBAY XPLOSION lost 3 pool games at Boo Williams, all by single-digits, a week after knocking off WEST COAST PREMIER. AOT REBELS will be that much more formidable when DIAMOND DESHIELDS returns from thumb injury. SC 76ers, KENTUCKY PREMIER and TEAM CONCEPT all have the talent to make some noise this summer.

BOO WILLIAMS

GOLD CHAMPIONSHIP >>> DFW T-JACK 68 PHILLY BELLES 63

SILVER CHAMPIONSHIP >>> CAL STORM TEAM TAURASI 59 ARKANSAS MAVERICKS 47

BRONZE CHAMPIONSHIP >>> FBC BLUE 58 AOT REBELS 42

DEEP SOUTH

SPONSORED CHAMPIONSHIP >>> LADY FIRE 62 UNITED RED 54

WINDY CITY CLASSIC

AB CHAMPIONSHIP >>> SPORTS CITY U 84 MIDWEST ELITE 73

Edit/Delete Message

Former Md Waves and Fairfax Stars guard Rianna Frazer will accept an offer to continue her basketball/academic career at D1 Longwood University .

Who are the top teams and age groups to watch in the aau state tourney this weekend? Give us a preview!

Are their any intriguing match-ups?

Who are the top teams?

Who are the surprise players/teams?

Who are the coaches? Fresh new faces or Old pros???

Who are the top teams and age groups to watch in the aau state tourney this weekend? Give us a preview!

Are their any intriguing match-ups?

Who are the top teams?

Who are the surprise players/teams?

Who are the coaches? Fresh new faces or Old pros???

In the 8th Grade Bracket, I believe that the Lady Shooting Stars are the best out of the whole bunch. I do expect the Sure Shots and the Lady Panthers to challenge. The Lady Stars have a great guard in the backcourt and there coach Mack is entertaining.

The 9th grade bracket I would say MD Elite and the Baltimore Starz would be neck and neck. Md Elite beat them last year in a game that came down to the final possession. Md Elite has one of the best guards in the 8th grade Danille Edwards but she plays up with this group and still can dominate a game. The Baltimore Starz has an excellent backcourt. They took turns scoring on whoever they wanted at Loyola a few weeks ago. Shania Stamper in 9th grade (MATHS) and Kahla Hedgepeth 7th grade (MATHS). The ravens are a great team with a great point guard and comets should also be good and I think that the Charm City Lightning are the former B-More Hoopsters and they won D-2 states last year so they might surprise some people. The have a 5'9 guard/forward Deja Mckenzie that will be attending Western next year that is pretty good and a 6'2 post going to Poly next year. They might sneak up on some people. Perry Hall has a pretty good post players last years she wore number 1 and she plays varsity for their girls team. Not really any must see games this weekend. Comets vs. Ravens or Starz vs. Lightning.

In the 10th grade bracket, the Grizzlies are the head of the class. They are the best coached team in that bracket and are lead by Rene Russo from Glenelg. The Shooting Stars, Team Maryland, Comets, and the Baltimore Starz are next in line in that order. However, Team Maryland DADA (City) & Jazz (Poly) could be the surprise team in this bracket but they are playing up and would have been the clear favorites if they remained in their bracket. This team is really quick, fast, explosive and can go on a run that can get them back in a game or end a game in a 3 minute period. If you haven't seen Dada play check them out. They are also coached by Tim (city). The shooting stars are coached by Fuller who always does an excellent job preparing his teams and a pretty good player in Mckenzie. The baltimore starz have one of the best front courts in the state with Treasure Jefferson 5'10 and Christina Mitchell 6"3 who play really well of each other. The Comets have Alexus (digital harbor/ future MD Terp) who is another must see. Must see games in this bracket Comets vs. Starz and Team Maryland vs. Anybody. I love watching Jazz and DADA in the backcourt.

In the 11th grade bracket the best team is the Lady Shooting Starz coached by Graham (Former west virginia and morgan). The have a ton of talent Daisey (rolland park), Tro'quay Malloy (Joppatowne), Dominique Hagins (South River) the list goes on. Their best competition may be the MD strom who mixed their 10th and 11th team to make a reallt formidable group led By Stix (Seton Keough). Must see game Shooting Stars vs. Storm.

This is just based off of what I saw last year and this year. Some team I have never seen and can't speak on and some may have lost or gained players so it's all to be determined on the court this weekend and next weekend as it should be.

Rene Russo is an actress . Emily Russo is the Point Guard for the Grizzlies. 1st Team All Howard County and 2nd Team All Metro

Shooting stars vs Baltimore storm (not md. Storm) sat. 9a.m. owings mills high. The storm has a lil talent Janel lane(woodlawn) S. Ade(western tech) kelly alston(poly) should be a good game.

In the 8th Grade Bracket, I believe that the Lady Shooting Stars are the best out of the whole bunch. I do expect the Sure Shots and the Lady Panthers to challenge. The Lady Stars have a great guard in the backcourt and there coach Mack is entertaining.

The 9th grade bracket I would say MD Elite and the Baltimore Starz would be neck and neck. Md Elite beat them last year in a game that came down to the final possession. Md Elite has one of the best guards in the 8th grade Danille Edwards but she plays up with this group and still can dominate a game. The Baltimore Starz has an excellent backcourt. They took turns scoring on whoever they wanted at Loyola a few weeks ago. Shania Stamper in 9th grade (MATHS) and Kahla Hedgepeth 7th grade (MATHS). The ravens are a great team with a great point guard and comets should also be good and I think that the Charm City Lightning are the former B-More Hoopsters and they won D-2 states last year so they might surprise some people. The have a 5'9 guard/forward Deja Mckenzie that will be attending Western next year that is pretty good and a 6'2 post going to Poly next year. They might sneak up on some people. Perry Hall has a pretty good post players last years she wore number 1 and she plays varsity for their girls team. Not really any must see games this weekend. Comets vs. Ravens or Starz vs. Lightning.

In the 10th grade bracket, the Grizzlies are the head of the class. They are the best coached team in that bracket and are lead by Rene Russo from Glenelg. The Shooting Stars, Team Maryland, Comets, and the Baltimore Starz are next in line in that order. However, Team Maryland DADA (City) & Jazz (Poly) could be the surprise team in this bracket but they are playing up and would have been the clear favorites if they remained in their bracket. This team is really quick, fast, explosive and can go on a run that can get them back in a game or end a game in a 3 minute period. If you haven't seen Dada play check them out. They are also coached by Tim (city). The shooting stars are coached by Fuller who always does an excellent job preparing his teams and a pretty good player in Mckenzie. The baltimore starz have one of the best front courts in the state with Treasure Jefferson 5'10 and Christina Mitchell 6"3 who play really well of each other. The Comets have Alexus (digital harbor/ future MD Terp) who is another must see. Must see games in this bracket Comets vs. Starz and Team Maryland vs. Anybody. I love watching Jazz and DADA in the backcourt.

In the 11th grade bracket the best team is the Lady Shooting Starz coached by Graham (Former west virginia and morgan). The have a ton of talent Daisey (rolland park), Tro'quay Malloy (Joppatowne), Dominique Hagins (South River) the list goes on. Their best competition may be the MD strom who mixed their 10th and 11th team to make a reallt formidable group led By Stix (Seton Keough). Must see game Shooting Stars vs. Storm.

This is just based off of what I saw last year and this year. Some team I have never seen and can't speak on and some may have lost or gained players so it's all to be determined on the court this weekend and next weekend as it should be.

i agree with what you say about Dyzhanay DADA and crew. I think They will still be playing as Baltimore's Finest 10th grade Saturday noon at North County, again at 3:00, and then Sunday at 4:30 at the Melo rec. center.

Shooting stars vs Baltimore storm (not md. Storm) sat. 9a.m. owings mills high. The storm has a lil talent Janel lane(woodlawn) S. Ade(western tech) kelly alston(poly) should be a good game.

Your right this should be a good game. Looking at both teams rosters they each have some legit pieces. A friend of mine told me that he saw the Storm play the Charm earlier this week and the Storm won by 20+ without Alston, Stix and Booth.

i agree with what you say about Dyzhanay DADA and crew. I think They will still be playing as Baltimore's Finest 10th grade Saturday noon at North County, again at 3:00, and then Sunday at 4:30 at the Melo rec. center.

Thats great!! will they have other Shooting Stars players playing with them during the States? I think they will do very good playing up, the team looked very comfortable @ Boo Williams playing up at 10th grade!!

Thats great!! will they have other Shooting Stars players playing with them during the States? I think they will do very good playing up, the team looked very comfortable @ Boo Williams playing up at 10th grade!!

Baller:

It looks like the shooting stars will actually have their own team in the same Pool C. BMORE Finest vs. Shooting Stars - Sunday at the Melo Center at 4:30.

TinkB

Question I know that public school kids aren't allowed to play in all star games unless they are seniors. I don't know about private school kids. I see a few underclassmen playing in the game wouldn't they lose their next year elgability? Not sure just asking.

TinkB

Question I know that public school kids aren't allowed to play in all star games unless they are seniors. I don't know about private school kids. I see a few underclassmen playing in the game wouldn't they lose their next year elgability? Not sure just asking.

If they are underclassmen, they can participate in as many all-star games as possible. The NCCA rule kicks in after they finish their sports season in their senior year.

" According to NCAA rules, high school athletes in these sports can participate in only two all-star contests in each sport between the end of the senior-year sports season and high school-graduation. The reason is the NCAA wants high school seniors to focus on finishing their high school requirements. After graduation and before the senior year, there is no limit."

If they are underclassmen, they can participate in as many all-star games as possible. The NCCA rule kicks in after they finish their sports season in their senior year.

" According to NCAA rules, high school athletes in these sports can participate in only two all-star contests in each sport between the end of the senior-year sports season and high school-graduation. The reason is the NCAA wants high school seniors to focus on finishing their high school requirements. After graduation and before the senior year, there is no limit."

This is the NCAA's rule. This does nothing to satisfy the MPSAA and their rules. Underclassmen cannot play in all star games. They must be using a loop hole to get around it by calling it a shootout or something else.

PG hoops you are correct. I looked it up on the website this is what it says.

(5) Individual students may participate in two all-star game per sport, upon the

completion of their eligibility in the sport in which this participation occurs

PG hoops you are correct. I looked it up on the website this is what it says.

(5) Individual students may participate in two all-star game per sport, upon the

completion of their eligibility in the sport in which this participation occurs

To me this means that after the girls finish their senior season of basketball, they may participate in only 2 all star events. That would mean only seniors would be participating in true all star games. PGHoops is right. I guess you just call your game a "challenge" and you can invite whoever you want regardless of age. Seems kind of vague and fishy.

To me this means that after the girls finish their senior season of basketball, they may participate in only 2 all star events. That would mean only seniors would be participating in true all star games. PGHoops is right. I guess you just call your game a "challenge" and you can invite whoever you want regardless of age. Seems kind of vague and fishy.

That's exactly why I canceled my event in February. I was told by the director of MPSSAA, Ned Sparks, that the underclassmen would lose their eligibility if they played. I helped put together the Maryland roster for the PA vs MD Shootout in Harrisburg earlier this month. Their website claims that it was not an all-star game but a "shoot out" and you can play in as many of those as you like. Only seniors played and none them had played in more than one other game so I guess they didn't buy that. Parents should just make sure they are informed and weigh the risk vs reward.

That's exactly why I canceled my event in February. I was told by the director of MPSSAA, Ned Sparks, that the underclassmen would lose their eligibility if they played. I helped put together the Maryland roster for the PA vs MD Shootout in Harrisburg earlier this month. Their website claims that it was not an all-star game but a "shoot out" and you can play in as many of those as you like. Only seniors played and none them had played in more than one other game so I guess they didn't buy that. Parents should just make sure they are informed and weigh the risk vs reward.

Excellent advice CoachAl. Better safe than sorry.

Why are MD AAU games being played at Lake CLifton this weekend?? No one can get better facilities than that?

Why are MD AAU games being played at Lake CLifton this weekend?? No one can get better facilities than that?

I know. Just told that dada and them had their games moved to lake at 12 and 3.

Baltimore's Finest - Team DaDa win first two pool games by combined 60-65 something points. Comets upset by starz. New players and the core of dada, jazz, T, and deana will make them tough even though they are playing up a year.