Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

The President does not have power under the Constitution . . .

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,739 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

“The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.”

“As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States,” Obama continued.“In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent. History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch.”

In a followup question in its December 2007 interview, the Boston Globe asked Obama if the Constitution gave the president the power to disregard a congressional statute putting some type of limit on the way troops could be deployed. Here, too, Obama deferred to the constitutional authority of Congress.

“No, the President does not have that power,” Obama told the paper.“To date, several Congresses have imposed limitations on the number of US troops deployed in a given situation. As President, I will not assert a constitutional authority to deploy troops in a manner contrary to an express limit imposed by Congress and adopted into law.”

Senator Barack Obama

What happened?

Edited by Sprightly, 22 March 2011 - 06:46 AM.

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#2 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

“The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.”

“As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States,” Obama continued.“In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent. History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch.”

In a followup question in its December 2007 interview, the Boston Globe asked Obama if the Constitution gave the president the power to disregard a congressional statute putting some type of limit on the way troops could be deployed. Here, too, Obama deferred to the constitutional authority of Congress.

“No, the President does not have that power,” Obama told the paper.“To date, several Congresses have imposed limitations on the number of US troops deployed in a given situation. As President, I will not assert a constitutional authority to deploy troops in a manner contrary to an express limit imposed by Congress and adopted into law.”

Senator Barrack Obama

What happened?

Obviously an imposter wrote this. Our President signs his name with one 'R'.

#3 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,739 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:47 AM

Obviously an imposter wrote this. Our President signs his name with one 'R'.

I apologize profusely for mispelling his name.

So, what happened?

#4 music_man

music_man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

The constitution is that crappy piece of paper standing in Barry's way of complete and total domination. Damn those forefathers.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I was good once, as I ever was.

#5 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:54 AM

I have been away on vacation for the last 2 weeks so I been out of the realm of reality on the lovely island of St. Barts..

Anyway, where did the president deploy troops??

In fairness to all the question that he answered was:

Question 2
In what circumstances, if any, would the president have constitutional authority to bomb Iran without seeking a use-of-force authorization from Congress? (Specifically, what about the strategic bombing of suspected nuclear sites -- a situation that does not involve stopping an IMMINENT threat?)

John McCain
Well he doesn't. But if there is an imminent threat, the president has to act in America's security interest. ... He should [go to Congress] absent an imminent threat. But in the event of an imminent threat, the President has a constitutional obligation to protect the American people.

Mitt Romney
A President must always act in the best interests of the United States to protect us against a potential threat, including a nuclear Iran. Naturally, it is always preferable to seek agreement of all – leadership of our government as well as our friends around the world – where those circumstances are available.

But again, where did he deploy troops?

#6 Passarino

Passarino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,200 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:55 AM

It's his game of Risk now and he gets to roll the 3 dice.

#7 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

I apologize profusely for mispelling his name.

So, what happened?

What happened is he took a stand for an idea he believed, in theory. He put it on the record. This is a rarity for Obama. He usually takes both sides of an argument or votes 'present'.

In this case, his past words painted him into a corner and the realities of decision making as POTUS blew up all his professorial rhetoric.

#8 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,739 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

I have been away on vacation for the last 2 weeks so I been out of the realm of reality on the lovely island of St. Barts..

Anyway, where did the president deploy troops??

In fairness to all the question that he answered was:

Question 2
In what circumstances, if any, would the president have constitutional authority to bomb Iran without seeking a use-of-force authorization from Congress? (Specifically, what about the strategic bombing of suspected nuclear sites -- a situation that does not involve stopping an IMMINENT threat?)

John McCain
Well he doesn't. But if there is an imminent threat, the president has to act in America's security interest. ... He should [go to Congress] absent an imminent threat. But in the event of an imminent threat, the President has a constitutional obligation to protect the American people.

Mitt Romney
A President must always act in the best interests of the United States to protect us against a potential threat, including a nuclear Iran. Naturally, it is always preferable to seek agreement of all – leadership of our government as well as our friends around the world – where those circumstances are available.

This is about the current president -- not two people who never were and never will be, 'kay?

#9 PurpleCat

PurpleCat

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

The funny thing is some Liberal on this board was arguing that the Libya war was "legal". Well, it appears it is NOT legal.

I'd like an answer as well from Obama. What happened? Why did he ignore the Constitution?
[URL="http://www.obamaimpeachment.org/"][/URL]

#10 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:20 AM

This is about the current president -- not two people who never were and never will be, 'kay?

No troops have been deployed...

Guess that ends the thread...

Kay?

#11 PurpleCat

PurpleCat

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:22 AM

Kay?

The President does NOT have the authority to attack another country without the approval of Congress. Now you will ignore the Constitution in order to protect Obama? :confused:

#12 BSCSMD

BSCSMD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,824 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

In the Medertarian Sea and over the airspace of Libya (and thats just what we know about).

#13 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

The funny thing is some Liberal on this board was arguing that the Libya war was "legal". Well, it appears it is NOT legal.

I'd like an answer as well from Obama. What happened? Why did he ignore the Constitution?

He didn't, as no delcaration of war has been declared..

Last I checked we were part of the United Nations, here is their resolution to the situation:

http://www.un.org/Ne...sc10200.doc.htm

#14 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

In the Medertarian Sea and over the airspace of Libya (and thats just what we know about).

Link?

There are no troops deployed..

#15 PurpleCat

PurpleCat

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:26 AM

He didn't, as no delcaration of war has been declared..

Last I checked we were part of the United Nations, here is their resolution to the situation:

http://www.un.org/Ne...sc10200.doc.htm

Just stop. You're wrong and so is Obama.

The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

http://www.salon.com.../lind_libya_war

#16 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

The President does NOT have the authority to attack another country without the approval of Congress. Now you will ignore the Constitution in order to protect Obama? :confused:

No attack, simply assisting other nations in enacting a no fly zone that was apporved by the United Nations Security council to seize the slaughter of innocent civilians in Libya..

#17 BSCSMD

BSCSMD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,824 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Kay?

You are truly a joke.

#18 PurpleCat

PurpleCat

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

No attack, simply assisting other nations in enacting a no fly zone that was apporved by the United Nations Security council to seize the slaughter of innocent civilians in Libya..

We can't continue this debate if you're just going to toss all the facts aside and play dumb on purpose in an effort to win your side of the argument. I realize that's what politics is about, but not when the facts are this glaring. Even Democrats are saying Obama needed to get the approval of Congress.

Have a nice day.

#19 SPANKYJOHNSON

SPANKYJOHNSON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

iT'S CALLED THE War Powers Act.. He has up to 90 days to notifty Congress..

#20 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,739 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

Kay?

Um, not okay, because he did deploy our military.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users