Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
georjec2

Obscure Movies That You Think Were Good !

197 posts in this topic

"I Heart Huckabees" - Comedy starring Jude Law and Naomi Watts

I thought that movie was great. A lot of people HATED that movie though.

Clay Pigeons

The Minus Man

The Limey

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Clay Pigeons is one of my all time favs. Vince Vaughn and J. Phoenix before they were stars. Vaughn made that move though.

yes Virginia, there WERE some great obscure movies made before 2000:

They Live By Night - 1949

Dust Be My Destiny - 1938

Dead Of Night - 1945

The Devil And Daniel Webster - 1942

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1931

Fail-Safe - 1964

A Fairwell To Arms - Gary Cooper, Helen Hayes 1932

Five Star Final 1931

Boys Of The Road 1932

Hearts of The West 1975

The Human Comedy 1943 - Mickey Rooney's best (serious) role

In Cold Blood - 1967

King Of Hearts - 1966

Liliom - 1930 - Later re-made as a musical in the 50's CAROUSEL

The Lost Weekend - 1945

My Favorite Year - 1982

Night Nurse - 1931 (Clark Gable as a heavy!)

Night Of The Demon - 1957 (Still scares the **** out of me)

Night Of The Hunter - 1955 (Robert Mitchum's best role)

Our Vines Have Tender Grapes 1945 (Edward G. Robinson) very lyrical

The Ox-Bow Incident - 1943 - Henry Fonda's favorite role

A Patch Of Blue - 1966 - Sidney Poitier

Paths Of Glory - 1957 (Less well known Kubrick classic anti-war film)

The Pawnbroker - 1966 - Rod Steiger's best role

Pretty Posion - 1968 - Anthony Perkins, Tuesday Weld

Seconds - 1966 - Rock Hudson (way ahead of it's time)

Seven Days In May - 1964 - High tension dramas don't come much better then this!

Slaughterhouse five - 1972

And of course:

Sons Of The Dessert - 1933 Laurel And Hardy, my favorite comedy of all time

Edited by goodrulez

I thought that movie was great. A lot of people HATED that movie though.

I did not hate it, I was just monumentally bored.

iYou'll really love Children of Men. It's a quiet movie, with most of the dialog being whispers without any music in the background. My only advice is to turn off the lights and turn the volume waaaaay up to truly experience Alfonso Cuaran's vision.

I had to go purchase Children of Men two years ago. I've watched it 5 times, something I never do. I feel it's one of the best movies I have ever seen. The cinematography and acting is outstanding.

I loved Children of Men.

I started to put Children of Men in the DVD this morning but instead decided to watch Franklyn which turned out to be a little tedious. next I'll watch Children of Men.

I see many many good recommendations here and I will get to many of them.

(Steal) Riders isn't bad if you like heist movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282552/ratings

Being a former Wing Chun practitioner, I loved Ip Man. The 100 karate fighters scene is awesome.

Oh, and my pick is Equilibrium staring Christian Bale. It's a bit of a cross between 1984 & The Matrix.

Ha ! Equilibrium is just waiting for me to go to Sams Club and buy some more disks. Thanks for the heads up. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

And of course:

Sons Of The Dessert - 1933 Laurel And Hardy, my favorite comedy of all time

Laurel and Hardy's Way Out West is my favorite of theirs. They do a dance step that I do right along with them. :D

Horror movies called Feast, Feast 2: Sloppy Seconds, and Feast 3: The Happy Finish. The first one is a strait up very good horror movie that some might have seen. The last two..... just totally bizarre, but I loved them.

Red-headed tat girl.... now that's what I'm talking about! ;) She'd definitely put an eye out with those things... :eek: <--- we need a smiley for "love"... lol

Getting them. thanks !!!

Best Sci-Fi flick in a while, 2009 limited release, snagged a copy off the Net about a year or so ago after just picking up some Buzz about it somewhere, recently it's been on Encore/Starz. Definitely a Keeper.

Pretty much a 1 man show by Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey provides the voice of the moonbase computer system and that's about it. Very good story and the special effects were just enough. Shows what can be done on a limited budget if you've got Smart people. Hollywood doesn't do this good with Mega-Millions!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

Horror movies called Feast, Feast 2: Sloppy Seconds, and Feast 3: The Happy Finish. The first one is a strait up very good horror movie that some might have seen. The last two..... just totally bizarre, but I loved them.

Red-headed tat girl.... now that's what I'm talking about! ;) She'd definitely put an eye out with those things... :eek: <--- we need a smiley for "love"... lol

Just Got em...gonna roll up a skinny, crack open an ice beer, and be no trouble to nobody just enjoy the movies.

( I know I used a double negative. :) )

Along those lines;

Mirrors

Mirrors 2

Did you like those ?

Here is one that is obscure: Lemonade Joe.

Saw it on TV as a kid in the 70's and laughed my *** off. It was dubbed, from Czechoslovakia and is a spoof of 1920s/30s American Westerns. Some years back I looked and found a VHS online, but it had subtitles. Not sure if it was that, or my humor bone had moved, but it wasn't quite as funny.

Best Sci-Fi flick in a while, 2009 limited release, snagged a copy off the Net about a year or so ago after just picking up some Buzz about it somewhere, recently it's been on Encore/Starz. Definitely a Keeper.

Pretty much a 1 man show by Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey provides the voice of the moonbase computer system and that's about it. Very good story and the special effects were just enough. Shows what can be done on a limited budget if you've got Smart people. Hollywood doesn't do this good with Mega-Millions!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

"Moon" was the best sci-fi movie I'd seen since Sunshine. A career moment for Sam Rockwell, and a pivotal point in low-budget film production.

Speaking of Sunshine, I rented it on Blu-Ray a few nights ago after only seeing it via On Demand. The difference was stunning. The scene with Cillian Murphy outrunning the solar flare, and every glimpse of the sun, lit up my home theater like no other movie ever has. I could almost feel the heat coming from the radiation. Simply stunning effects work.

Did you like those ?

I liked the first one better because of the really awesome ending. The second one was relatively interesting too if for no other reason it explained why there was a first one.

I'll likely see them again, but they are not Hitchcock.

They could have been better with a little more plot work, and a little less blood. In my opinion good thriller/suspense movie doesn't need blood. Hitchcock was the master at that stuff, and I have a bunch of his work at home.

... Dead Of Night - 1945 ...

Fail-Safe - 1964 ...

In Cold Blood - 1967 ...

Night Of The Hunter - 1955 (Robert Mitchum's best role) ...

The Ox-Bow Incident - 1943 - Henry Fonda's favorite role ...

Most of these sure weren't obscure when they came out. Dead of Night I can watch over & over.

Fail-Safe was very spooky. In Cold Blood put Robert Blake back on the map, after a dry spell from being a child star. Night of Hunter is still one of the scariest movies: & stars ageing Lillian Gish. Also the only movie Chas. Laughton directed.

Another sorta obscure Hitchcock-style Cold War conspiracy movie from the 60s: Mirage, with Gregory Peck, Diane Baker (the senator in Silence of the Lambs), & Walter Matthau as a greenhorn P.I. Also George Kennedy as a punisher & Kevin McCarthy in the supreme wussie role. From 1965.

Salt Lake City Punk...Pretty funny movie with a slight darkside to it, I was a little partial to it cause that was part of my scene growing up...

Being a former Wing Chun practitioner, I loved Ip Man. The 100 karate fighters scene is awesome.

Oh, and my pick is Equilibrium staring Christian Bale. It's a bit of a cross between 1984 & The Matrix.

Ip Man was the shiznet... the one scene where he smovved across the floor made me buy the movie. i would have taken those 10 bags of rice though

100 or 10 fighters....

Bravo on Equilibrium...saw it this morning. Some of the fanciest gun play I've ever seen and the movie depicts what can happen we give too much power to the government. Something to think about ! :)

Just Got em...gonna roll up a skinny, crack open an ice beer, and be no trouble to nobody just enjoy the movies.

( I know I used a double negative. :) )

Sooooo, did you like the 3 Feast movies? The last two were beyond bizarre.... :D

Speaking of bizarre, one of the most bizarre movies around is a movie called Gutterballs. It's worth a watch, but it's certainly NOT for everyone.... :eek:

I really loved Brick. It's a Raymond Chandler/Dashiell Hammett-style noir set in suburbia amongst a high school community. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really good as the main character playing the 'Sam Spade/Nick Charles' investigator. If you like quick witty dialogue and a fast-paced plot, check this one out.

I really loved Brick. It's a Raymond Chandler/Dashiell Hammett-style noir set in suburbia amongst a high school community. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really good as the main character playing the 'Sam Spade/Nick Charles' investigator. If you like quick witty dialogue and a fast-paced plot, check this one out.

I agree. Brick was awesome. I didn't respect Gordon-Levitt until I saw that movie and realized he was a good actor (and not just the little kid from that sitcom I hated).