Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
georjec2

Obscure Movies That You Think Were Good !

197 posts in this topic

Suicide Kings - "You're the man Ira."

Walken, Dennis Leary, Johhny Galecki, Jay Mohr, The ET kid all grown up - Henry Thomas?, some other up and comers at that time

I will see it within 48 hours. Thanks !

did you ever get around to watching Children of Men?

I really loved Brick.
Concur. I have considered purchasing this movie (I got it via Netflix) because it seems like one I might watch more than twice.

October Sky

A Boy And His Dog

Dr Strangelove - Slim Pickens riding that nuke bomb down to explosion - what a hoot!

I haven't read through all the posts on this thread, but I'll throw out two classic horror films, one old, one newer. Made for TV in 1970....."Crowhaven Farm", a movie about witches. And, the best David Caruso movie ever, "Session 9". ("I live in the weak and the wounded.....Doc.")

October Sky

A Boy And His Dog

Dr Strangelove - Slim Pickens riding that nuke bomb down to explosion - what a hoot!

Great one. I loved The Dish as well. Sam Neil doesn't have to affect an American accent. It is the story of the crew manning the antenna to relay TV signals from the Apollo missions from Australia. Funny, touching, a little stressful.

I watched Moon and liked it a lot. Small cast! But it is one of those that are clearly taken from a short story so there aren't 15 plot twists along the way. Reminded me a little of Imposter with Gary Sinise and Madeleine Stowe.

Idiocracy by Mike Judge. Hilarious and scary as hell all at the same time. In a typical day I usually see about a dozen or so folks that could be in the movie. That's the scary part.

Next on "The Violence Channel"...a new "Ow, My Balls!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

I haven't read through all the posts on this thread, but I'll throw out two classic horror films, one old, one newer. Made for TV in 1970....."Crowhaven Farm", a movie about witches. And, the best David Caruso movie ever, "Session 9". ("I live in the weak and the wounded.....Doc.")

I'll give session 9 a look. It gets a good rating on IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/

Idiocracy by Mike Judge. Hilarious and scary as hell all at the same time. In a typical day I usually see about a dozen or so folks that could be in the movie. That's the scary part.

Next on "The Violence Channel"...a new "Ow, My Balls!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

the most underrated comedy of the decade. and possibly the most frightening first-3-minutes of any movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXRjmyJFzrU

mike judge is still pissed off that fox never gave this a wide release.

One called "The Amateur (where some guy avenges the death o his girlfriend)

"Charley Varrick" with Walter Matthau

"Little Nikita" with Sidney Poitier

"Secrets &Lies" Brenda Blethin

"Shall We Dance" Richard Gere & Susan Sarandon

"Three Days of the Condor" Robert Redford

Guess you can tell I like action flicks

I'm only half way through and I stopped the movie to recommend 'Trust'

After curious and vulnerable teenager Annie (Liana Liberato) falls into a trap set by an online sexual predator, her family begins to disintegrate, uncertain how to cope with such a devastating tragedy. Utterly consumed by rage, her father (Clive Owen) sets out seeking vengeance. Directed by David Schwimmer, this intensely emotional drama also stars Viola Davis, Jason Clarke and Catherine Keener (and Clive Owen)

netflix does not have it but it Is on torrents. Try BTjunkie.

Check out the ratings on this movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1529572/

I keep saying what a focking sleezeball. I haven't finished it but I hope this worm gets it.

Has anyone other than me ever seen 'ffolkes' with Roger Moore as a Scottish commando. A very good action/adventure movie that also stars James Mason and Anthony Perkins. Moore"s best ever role as a very quirky woman hater and cat lover!

Per your recommendation I watched 'Session 9'.

*** !!! :D

I appreciate you taking the time to contribute and IMDb gave it a good rating. But I didn't get it. What part was particularly striking to you ?

Grosse Point Blank.

A funny movie about a Hit man who goes to his High School Reunion as cover for a hit.

His secretary is the best part with Dan Ackrod as his competition is good to.

Per your recommendation I watched 'Session 9'.

*** !!! :D

I appreciate you taking the time to contribute and IMDb gave it a good rating. But I didn't get it. What part was particularly striking to you ?

It certainly was not your standard horror movie. No ghosts or goblins. Just the horrifying reality that you're watching several people come apart at the seems; some more than others. There is just such a sense of dread and foreboding that permeates the entire film. It's just creepy.

You may be looking for the connection between the tapes and the present. It's there. But it may be far too subtle to catch the first time you see it. There are connections I haven't made yet. And I've seen it about 6 times. That's half the uneasy fun of it. Here's a link to a really good review of the film. Enjoy.

http://www.theawl.com/2010/10/session-9

One called "The Amateur (where some guy avenges the death o his girlfriend)

"Charley Varrick" with Walter Matthau

"Little Nikita" with Sidney Poitier

"Secrets &Lies" Brenda Blethin

"Shall We Dance" Richard Gere & Susan Sarandon

"Three Days of the Condor" Robert Redford''

Guess you can tell I like action flicks

"Three Days of the Condor" is terrific!

It certainly was not your standard horror movie. No ghosts or goblins. Just the horrifying reality that you're watching several people come apart at the seems; some more than others. There is just such a sense of dread and foreboding that permeates the entire film. It's just creepy.

You may be looking for the connection between the tapes and the present. It's there. But it may be far too subtle to catch the first time you see it. There are connections I haven't made yet. And I've seen it about 6 times. That's half the uneasy fun of it. Here's a link to a really good review of the film. Enjoy.

http://www.theawl.com/2010/10/session-9

Six times !!! Wow.

The movie 'SEED' disturbed me so much I don't think I ever want to see it again. In it a baby is left in a room to cry until it dies (yes you watch it die) I had to mute the volume.

Max Seed, a mass murderer, is scheduled for execution at the hands of Warden Wright. Before the executioner throws the switch, Wright steps in front of Seed, "Do you have any last words?" Seed, " I'll see you again." After three attempts to electrocute, complete with boiling blood that steeps from his eyes, he's still alive. The executioner, Wright & the doctor collectively agree, that the breathing Seed be pronounced dead. He is bound and buried alive. After biting & clawing his way to the surface, Seed, the blood soaked, enraged madman, is now bent on vengeance. The reign of violence that follows will redefine the boundaries of extreme gore, physical & mental torture explored through cinema.

Six times !!! Wow.

The movie 'SEED' disturbed me so much I don't think I ever want to see it again. In it a baby is left in a room to cry until it dies (yes you watch it die) I had to mute the volume.

Max Seed, a mass murderer, is scheduled for execution at the hands of Warden Wright. Before the executioner throws the switch, Wright steps in front of Seed, "Do you have any last words?" Seed, " I'll see you again." After three attempts to electrocute, complete with boiling blood that steeps from his eyes, he's still alive. The executioner, Wright & the doctor collectively agree, that the breathing Seed be pronounced dead. He is bound and buried alive. After biting & clawing his way to the surface, Seed, the blood soaked, enraged madman, is now bent on vengeance. The reign of violence that follows will redefine the boundaries of extreme gore, physical & mental torture explored through cinema.

I've never heard of that one. And I've seen a lot of horror movies. The one movie that kinda freaked me out was 'The Descent'. But, that was due more to a bit of claustrophobia than anything else in the movie. I saw it in a nearly empty theater, and it felt like the walls were closing in on me.

Has anyone other than me ever seen 'ffolkes' with Roger Moore as a Scottish commando. A very good action/adventure movie that also stars James Mason and Anthony Perkins. Moore"s best ever role as a very quirky woman hater and cat lover!
Never seen this, but I should, since your synop. reminded me of another Roger Moore-obscurantist flick, Escape to Athena: Allied POW dig for Greek treasure under Nazi scrutiny. Moore as a Nazi maj. fascinated w/ the finer things--@the risk of his career; Telly Savalas, Elliot Gould, David Niven, Sonny Bono, Richard Roundtree. Claudia Cardinale, Stephanie Powers as the pleasant visual distractions.

Also, if you're tolerant & super-literate: "F for Fake," an ersatz documentary, dramatized as only Orson Welles can dramatize. Welles's last finished project (1973): con artists & cons (including the recently disgraced Clifford Irving) come to the defense of an art forger. Or is he?