• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Halberstam

Halberstam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

Fine use of taxpayer funds...pushing buttons inside an elevator. What, did they flunk out of tollbooth school to get this job?:rolleyes:

Capitol Elevator Operators Being Prepared for Furlough
Thursday, April 07, 2011
By Dan Joseph
(CNSNews.com) – At a Capitol Hill press conference intended to highlight the GOP budget’s effect on senior citizens, Rep. Jan Shakowsky (D-Ill.) said that those who run elevators in government buildings are being prepared for a potential government shutdown.

“I know meetings are being held all over the Capitol to prepare people, like the people who run our elevators, for some sort of a furlough,” she said

http://www.cnsnews.c...s-being-prepare

#2 Number Six

Number Six

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Fine use of taxpayer funds...pushing buttons inside an elevator. What, did they flunk out of tollbooth school to get this job?:rolleyes:

More than likely it is that our elected officials are too clueless to understand how to work an elevator.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've seen the future.

It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake and singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer wiener."

#3 Evil Yoda

Evil Yoda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,375 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

They're probably afraid of it. They think it's a disintegration machine since the doors close with people inside, then open again with the box empty. The operator is there to assure them it's merely transportation.
Government ~ Bailouts

"Nature, time, and patience are the three great physicians. Still, it might be time to consult Dr. Feldman about the grapefruit-sized growth hanging from the side of your throat.
"

#4 woody

woody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

Why on Earth would government elevator operators need to be prepared for a government shutdown. Heck, they are already prepared, better than others for the ups and downs of government employment. Besides, can't be many of them as most government elevators are self operated.

#5 Mike Evans

Mike Evans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

More from the republicans elitist

#6 BSCSMD

BSCSMD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,820 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

For once we agree!

Dammit, leave such vital government service providers alone!

If not for them, who knows if our government can even continue to function?

Look at what we have done in the past and how it has thrown this country into ruin.

Yes, some tried to run up the red flag and warn everyone, but they did not listen.

Now that we no longer have any gas lamp lighters you can clearly see the tragedy and suffering that has racked this nation to its very core!

What's next?

Trying to eliminate the very dedicated men of the Federal Horse and Buggy Corps?

:mad:

Edited by BSCSMD, 09 April 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#7 zenwalk

zenwalk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,123 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

They're probably afraid of it. They think it's a disintegration machine since the doors close with people inside, then open again with the box empty. The operator is there to assure them it's merely transportation.

Another jab at the Tea Party?
"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#8 woody

woody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

Don't think so. However, it is another way of keeping government employment up, the job counts as a working person. In the congressional office building and in the senate building they have the push button passenger operated versions of elevators. However, some congress members probable don't know how to operate them and many others will not operate them as they have congressional staff to do it for them and to do so would be below them. Have seen it done many times in DC.:rolleyes:

#9 Number Six

Number Six

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Really? Do you feel taxpayers should be paying for someone to operate elevators for congress people?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've seen the future.

It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake and singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer wiener."

#10 Mike Evans

Mike Evans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Really? Do you feel taxpayers should be paying for someone to operate elevators for congress people?

He is Not just for congressman. Can't have people just going about in the capitol. I guess you rather the guy be unemployed. He is rendering a service

#11 Diva

Diva

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

The more relevant statement: Congressional members feel the need to have a person operate an elevator for them. This position is not new; odds are it has been in existence since the Capital had elevators. A throwback to the old days when all elevators had operators and "established" buildings had doormen. Check a bit of Washington history.

#12 woody

woody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

He is Not just for congressman. Can't have people just going about in the capitol. I guess you rather the guy be unemployed. He is rendering a service

There are zillions of people going about in the capital every day. They check security at the front door and an operator can't do anything an electronic device couldn't do just a well or better. No, he should be employed, but he should be employed in a needed job in a cost effective manner by providing services at the lowest cost.

#13 Rocketwolf

Rocketwolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,264 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:19 PM

you never want to stop any money waste do you?

I trust the Police
more than I trust President Obama

#14 Realistic767

Realistic767

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,186 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

A service that is obsolete. Yes, I'd rather the guy be unemployed than us tax payers paying him for a service that is no longer needed.
He that lives upon HOPE will die fasting.
-- Ben Franklin

#15 Realistic767

Realistic767

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,186 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

you never want to stop any money waste do you?

It's all about Savin' & Creatin'. Creatin' and a Savin'.
He that lives upon HOPE will die fasting.
-- Ben Franklin

#16 Number Six

Number Six

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:33 AM

The more relevant statement: Congressional members feel the need to have a person operate an elevator for them. This position is not new; odds are it has been in existence since the Capital had elevators. A throwback to the old days when all elevators had operators and "established" buildings had doormen. Check a bit of Washington history.

So, because a job once existed, it should remain in perpetuity? On my dime?

Maybe the elevator operator should learn a useful skill.

Should they still have people outside the capitol tending to the horses and buggies that our elected officials use to get back and forth to work?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've seen the future.

#17 rentedmule

rentedmule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

So, because a job once existed, it should remain in perpetuity? On my dime?

Maybe the elevator operator should learn a useful skill.

Should they still have people outside the capitol tending to the horses and buggies that our elected officials use to get back and forth to work?

From a governmental perspective a job is a job. There is NO distinction between productive labor and unproductive labor. An elevator operator is no less silly than many other required jobs and unnecessary tasks. In fact, the Japanese still utilize a large number of elevator operators. They are considered a modern developed society and even have the national debt to prove it.

#18 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

Because there is no "Senators Only" elevator?
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#19 OctoberSky

OctoberSky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

An operator elevator is not security. Security personnel are at the outside ingress/egress doors; once inside any federal building you are free to move about. We absolutely don't need somebody in a goofy pill box hat and white gloves performing floor button pushing exercises. If you think that's a service then let's hire somebody to throw petals in front of these guys as they walk or fan them in summer - it would be no different. Yes, let's immediately terminate this position; and if we can't agree that this is unnecessary then what the hell is?
"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie; that's amore"... -Dean Martin-

#20 Pianoman2K2

Pianoman2K2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

This is so funny, I almost covered my screen with coffee.

The government employs someone to push elevator buttons for the ruling elite, and this is your comeback to criticism of it?
OneBigAssMistakeAmerica

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set." --Chinese writer Lin Yutang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users