Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kiladyu

Beeping the horn when picking up people

78 posts in this topic

lock your doors you got gypsies in the neighborhood

I don't think we're allowed to call them Gypsies anymore (if they are). Their families could have been victims of the pogroms in the seventies or eighties (?) in Yugoslavia - horrible. They apparently did come here via Italy but they are good people. Don't forget I know my history and geography for I am European myself.

Just the beeping horns is very annoyingand I will not make allowances for their political asylum situation. Maybe they think it's the way to go to beep their horns. I shall have a talk with them.

Exactly, and even before cell phones if you knew you were being picked up wouldn't you have been looking out?

I had my high school gf trained perfectly. I'd tap on the car horn when I pulled into her driveway for a date, and she's send her dad out to read me the riot act just seconds after I did so...

The Baltimore Doorbell.

I've always heard it refered to as the Mexican Doorbell (however, oddly enough, I've never actually seen Mexicans employee this).

My favorite, however, is the "Hillbilly doorbell". That's when your outdoor dogs go bonkers barking at visitors.

I wouldn't beep the horn until about 9am.

But I'll wait about 30 seconds first to see if they come out.

If they don't I'll give a quick toot.

If tgey still don't come out within sbout 30 seconds, I'd go to the door and knock.

The Baltimore Doorbell.

I love it!

If barking dogs don't bother me, then a beeping horn certainly isn't going to bother me. It's the price one pays for living in the city/suburbia.

I beep the horn to get my husband out the door. I'm always ready and in the car before him and I don't want him to make us late for where we are going. A beeping horn is the only thing that gets him out the door. :D

I used to do that when I picked up a girl for a date. Just lay on the horn untilthey would come out. Chicks really love it!

You're lucky you didn't get your butt kicked by any of their fathers. I was not allowed to go out with anyone who did not come to the door and speak with my parents first.

Had a guy showed up and just honked the horn for me... :eek: I don't even want to think about that!

You're lucky you didn't get your butt kicked by any of their fathers. I was not allowed to go out with anyone who did not come to the door and speak with my parents first.

Had a guy showed up and just honked the horn for me... :eek: I don't even want to think about that!

A guy will go gray waiting if he expects me to come out to a beeping horn. He's done lost his damn mind. Even w/SO, he gets out of his car and comes in, then we leave together. I can't think of a time when he's beeped the horn, regardless of how late he/we are running.

Was this true for your steady when/if he came to pick you up for your regular saturday afternoon date ?

I love it!

If barking dogs don't bother me, then a beeping horn certainly isn't going to bother me. It's the price one pays for living in the city/suburbia.

I beep the horn to get my husband out the door. I'm always ready and in the car before him and I don't want him to make us late for where we are going. A beeping horn is the only thing that gets him out the door. :D

Leave him there,if that dosen't speed him up then nothing will.

We had the same issue. Every morning at 5:30 am, for six days a week, a women pulled in front of our house and honked to let someone across the street know that she was there. This went on for almost a year. Our kids were young at the time and it woke them up every time and the entire family had to get up (this killed us on Saturdays). No one went back to bed. First, we nicely talked to the honker and suggested she call her friend when she arrives instead of honking, and she essentially told us to go crap in our hats - she's going to do what she wanted. Talking to her friend was no help. What was really frustrating for us was that she did not pull in front of her friend's house, she pulled in front of ours because it was more convenient for her. We finally got the police involved and I recall they said something about making a case for disturbing the peace or something like that, but it never went anywhere and you could tell they really didn't want to get involved. Then one day, after probably nine months or so, it suddenly stopped and we never heard the honker again. It was one of the most frustrating things I ever dealt with because resolving the issue would have been very simple, but the lady was intent on showing that she is boss rather than make a working solution for everyone.

I shouldn't post how I would have handled her,I can assure that I wouldn't put up with her or her crap. You just can't be nice to some people.

OK, I think this is utterly classless and, to put it mildy, annoying and un-neighborly. What do you think about peeps picking up people in their cars and not bothering to go to the door or just waiting and beeping their horn constantly to let their passengers knwo they are there? As for me, I was taught that one should not do that as it does, indeed, disturb neighbors, especially at 0630 hours. As I said, classless! Either sit there, get out of the car and knock on the door, or call on the cell to let you know you are outside. DON'T distrub the entire neighborhood! Yes this is a rant, it has been happening here for weeks.

don't ya love it esp at 5am.. and on a Sat or Sun morning. rude people just don't care.

I am awake and showered by 6:30 a.m. so it doesn't bother me. What time do you folks get up for work? (Just asking so that I can be jealous.) :) You don't need to answer, PL!

5-5:30am. But the car honking goes on 10pm, 11pm, etc.

Then there's the 9 yr old triplets next door who are allowed to play "who can press the button the most the fastest" with their parent's key fobs at 11pm...and the peeps coming home with their music at 2am....:D

5-5:30am. But the car honking goes on 10pm, 11pm, etc.

Then there's the 9 yr old triplets next door who are allowed to play "who can press the button the most the fastest" with their parent's key fobs at 11pm...and the peeps coming home with their music at 2am....:D

Unfortunately I hear some of the late night "coming home" music and voices but mostly on weekends. It's still annoying.

I had a neighbor whose driveway was about 15 feet from our bedroom window. He worked weird shifts and would sometimes leave at 4:00 in the morning. That didn't stop him from warming up his truck for 20 minutes with talk radio on full blast. .....s.

You sure it's not payback....BR ?????????:D;):D

I wouldn't beep the horn until about 9am.

But I'll wait about 30 seconds first to see if they come out.

If they don't I'll give a quick toot.

Depending on the wind direction, that's not likely to get anyone's attention......but yours........;)

I am awake and showered by 6:30 a.m. so it doesn't bother me. What time do you folks get up for work? (Just asking so that I can be jealous.) :) You don't need to answer, PL!

My son's school bus comes at 6:20 AM, so maybe my neighbors love me too :). However, I have my son ready and at the door every time so there is no delay and his driver would never, ever beep.

However, I have another child still sleeping at that time of morning and if she's woken up over an hour before her normal time, she has a hard time at school and her whole day is off. I consider the horn on my car to be used as an emergency only or as an alert (someone pulling out of a spot and can't see me for example).

I don't think it's a price I pay for living where I do or how many people live around me. I think it's common courtesy to not beep your horn and it's how I was taught.

I don't get that whole thing in the cell phone era. Not to mention if you know someone is picking you up, be on the look out

Try telling that to my 79 year old mother:) I will beep the horn once. She moves slowly, and I stop in the alley behind the house when I pick her up, since there are so many stairs in front. People are so impatient that I can't leave the car to go to the door. I can't tell you how many times I have had people blowing the horn when she or my father are walking out to the car.

I still remember a young man beeping the horn when he came to pick me up for a date. I didn't come out, and he finally figured out he needed to come to the door:)

4:00 AM

Jealous yet?! :D