• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 BRsunshine

BRsunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

It's along the same lines as blaring the car radio with the windows open while driving into a neighborhood. Heck, my neighbors do this at 2am, then sit outside, with the car radio still on, full blast, and talk for an hour or so.

IME talking to them does nothing. They feel they are entitled and they flat out do not care if they are bothering anyone else.

One would think that when they move into a neighborhood and notice that no one else acts like this, they would change their ways. Of course, that would take some self-awareness...nevermind...

I had a neighbor whose driveway was about 15 feet from our bedroom window. He worked weird shifts and would sometimes leave at 4:00 in the morning. That didn't stop him from warming up his truck for 20 minutes with talk radio on full blast. This was the same guy who started his home remodeling projects at 6:00 am on the weekends. We told him we had to put our son to bed earlier on the weekends because he was waking up to the circular saw outside his window, and the neighbor just smiled and said, "Is that right?" It was weird because he was otherwise a fantastic neighbor. He just had no awareness of how much he was disturbing his neighbors.
Have you found joy in your life?
Have you brought joy to the lives of others?

#22 kiladyu

kiladyu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,998 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

I don't get that whole thing in the cell phone era. Not to mention if you know someone is picking you up, be on the look out

Exactly, and even before cell phones if you knew you were being picked up wouldn't you have been looking out? I would have and did (and still do when being picked up). It's extremely rude not to be ready for a pick up, a date, or whatever. There really is no need for a reminder by honking horns. Why is this classnessness happening?
Semper flamma fumo proxima

. . .o
. . /L
=()>()

#23 VdubbauVW

VdubbauVW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

I feel like we are all neighbors!! I live in a noisy neighborhood anyway, right on the main drag. I dont think this happens so much right now, but it does happen. and it is annoying as all hell.
Yesterday and today someones car alarm was going off NON STOP...it annoyed me. They were not in front of my house, because IF they were I likely would have googled "How to dismantle car alarm"

#24 kiladyu

kiladyu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,998 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:03 AM

.... oh and we are all interested in other people's "taste" in music as I think the blaring music is what it's all about.

. . .o
. . /L
=()>()

#25 daravenator

daravenator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

Wel these people have truly integrated, they are Romanians!

lock your doors you got gypsies in the neighborhood

#26 kiladyu

kiladyu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,998 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

lock your doors you got gypsies in the neighborhood

I don't think we're allowed to call them Gypsies anymore (if they are). Their families could have been victims of the pogroms in the seventies or eighties (?) in Yugoslavia - horrible. They apparently did come here via Italy but they are good people. Don't forget I know my history and geography for I am European myself.

Just the beeping horns is very annoyingand I will not make allowances for their political asylum situation. Maybe they think it's the way to go to beep their horns. I shall have a talk with them.

. . .o
. . /L
=()>()

#27 Gentile

Gentile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

Exactly, and even before cell phones if you knew you were being picked up wouldn't you have been looking out?

I had my high school gf trained perfectly. I'd tap on the car horn when I pulled into her driveway for a date, and she's send her dad out to read me the riot act just seconds after I did so...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Our president hates beets, and I'm bummed" ~ PaintLady

#28 julieperl

julieperl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

The Baltimore Doorbell.

I've always heard it refered to as the Mexican Doorbell (however, oddly enough, I've never actually seen Mexicans employee this).

My favorite, however, is the "Hillbilly doorbell". That's when your outdoor dogs go bonkers barking at visitors.

I don't need any new ideas. I'm confused enough already.
Patrick- The Brothers McMullen

#29 mythoughts

mythoughts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,936 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

I wouldn't beep the horn until about 9am.
But I'll wait about 30 seconds first to see if they come out.
If they don't I'll give a quick toot.
If tgey still don't come out within sbout 30 seconds, I'd go to the door and knock.
2009 is the International Year of Astronomy
Have you looked through a telescope this year ?

Saturday October 24, 2009 is Astronomy Day.
Consider visiting a local astronomy club/astronomical society, planetarium, or observatory to take a look at the sky through a telescope.

http://www.astroleag...y/astroday.html

#30 Mitchum

Mitchum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

I used to do that when I picked up a girl for a date. Just lay on the horn untilthey would come out. Chicks really love it!

#31 doglover

doglover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

The Baltimore Doorbell.

I love it!

If barking dogs don't bother me, then a beeping horn certainly isn't going to bother me. It's the price one pays for living in the city/suburbia.

I beep the horn to get my husband out the door. I'm always ready and in the car before him and I don't want him to make us late for where we are going. A beeping horn is the only thing that gets him out the door. :D

The only difference between dreams and reality is purely desire.

#32 julieperl

julieperl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I used to do that when I picked up a girl for a date. Just lay on the horn untilthey would come out. Chicks really love it!

You're lucky you didn't get your butt kicked by any of their fathers. I was not allowed to go out with anyone who did not come to the door and speak with my parents first.

Had a guy showed up and just honked the horn for me... :eek: I don't even want to think about that!

I don't need any new ideas. I'm confused enough already.
Patrick- The Brothers McMullen

#33 ch24

ch24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

You're lucky you didn't get your butt kicked by any of their fathers. I was not allowed to go out with anyone who did not come to the door and speak with my parents first.

Had a guy showed up and just honked the horn for me... :eek: I don't even want to think about that!

A guy will go gray waiting if he expects me to come out to a beeping horn. He's done lost his damn mind. Even w/SO, he gets out of his car and comes in, then we leave together. I can't think of a time when he's beeped the horn, regardless of how late he/we are running.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Wouldn't take much for me to up and run.....to another life somewhere in the sun....."-Kenny Chesney

#34 prepfan

prepfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

Was this true for your steady when/if he came to pick you up for your regular saturday afternoon date ?

#35 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

I love it!

If barking dogs don't bother me, then a beeping horn certainly isn't going to bother me. It's the price one pays for living in the city/suburbia.

I beep the horn to get my husband out the door. I'm always ready and in the car before him and I don't want him to make us late for where we are going. A beeping horn is the only thing that gets him out the door. :D

Leave him there,if that dosen't speed him up then nothing will.

#36 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

We had the same issue. Every morning at 5:30 am, for six days a week, a women pulled in front of our house and honked to let someone across the street know that she was there. This went on for almost a year. Our kids were young at the time and it woke them up every time and the entire family had to get up (this killed us on Saturdays). No one went back to bed. First, we nicely talked to the honker and suggested she call her friend when she arrives instead of honking, and she essentially told us to go crap in our hats - she's going to do what she wanted. Talking to her friend was no help. What was really frustrating for us was that she did not pull in front of her friend's house, she pulled in front of ours because it was more convenient for her. We finally got the police involved and I recall they said something about making a case for disturbing the peace or something like that, but it never went anywhere and you could tell they really didn't want to get involved. Then one day, after probably nine months or so, it suddenly stopped and we never heard the honker again. It was one of the most frustrating things I ever dealt with because resolving the issue would have been very simple, but the lady was intent on showing that she is boss rather than make a working solution for everyone.

I shouldn't post how I would have handled her,I can assure that I wouldn't put up with her or her crap. You just can't be nice to some people.

#37 Ravenchamp

Ravenchamp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,681 posts

OK, I think this is utterly classless and, to put it mildy, annoying and un-neighborly. What do you think about peeps picking up people in their cars and not bothering to go to the door or just waiting and beeping their horn constantly to let their passengers knwo they are there? As for me, I was taught that one should not do that as it does, indeed, disturb neighbors, especially at 0630 hours. As I said, classless! Either sit there, get out of the car and knock on the door, or call on the cell to let you know you are outside. DON'T distrub the entire neighborhood! Yes this is a rant, it has been happening here for weeks.

don't ya love it esp at 5am.. and on a Sat or Sun morning. rude people just don't care.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.
The average response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 Feet Per Second

You Choose

#38 PaintLady

PaintLady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,306 posts

DL...now that's just crazy. geez.....
What happens when we're dead? The irony is that all our questions will be answered after we die. We spend our whole life trying to figure out the truth and the only way we'll find out what it is, is to get hit by a bus. And the only comfort for Christians is that God is driving that bus. - John Ryman

#39 VdubbauVW

VdubbauVW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

I've always heard it refered to as the Mexican Doorbell (however, oddly enough, I've never actually seen Mexicans employee this).

I live in "lil mexico"...trust me, it happens;)

#40 VdubbauVW

VdubbauVW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

don't ya love it esp at 5am.. and on a Sat or Sun morning. rude people just don't care.

THAT is exactly the point!:mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users