Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Most effective High school defensive Schemes.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

1. The 4-4

The name of the game in high school football from a defensive perspective is to first determine if the opposing qb can throw a decent pass. If he cannot then its a matter of bringing a scheme that was created to stop the run and deal with a dual threat qb. Enter the 4-4...any team that uses this D and gets punished by a run happy O needs to have its coach's kicked in the ***.The 4-4 allows the Dline to get away with lapse's in gap integrity as the extra Lb and drop safety fill most of the holes in the running lanes.

2. 3-3-5 stack

I call this the playstation D because is simply unrealistic on paper but it works and heres why.

Like River Hill...You can use 3 average size Dlinemen with literally 8 other guys who are db's. Even the the lb's are db size and with all of this speed on the feild at one time, you can zone blitz/run blitz all day and bog down Offense's. If and when the O gets into along passing down, you can drop back 8 db's and make the qb read a downfeild that is often way too busy or flooded to make the right read...if there is any....or the D can send 6 of those db's after the qb and make things even more interesting.

3. 5-2

You can still g bear or 46 on a run team and shut them down. There is no better example of the 88 City Poly game in which Petrides put ...countem...10 men on the Los and shut down Wailbels vaunted Power Tricky T Offense. Stacking the box from the literal standpoint can be so effective vs power running tams that a inferior team always has a chance of beating a superior team when using the 5-2....hell..the 5-2 was one of the reasons the spread O was invented.

#2 ECF

ECF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

1. The 4-4

The name of the game in high school football from a defensive perspective is to first determine if the opposing qb can throw a decent pass. If he cannot then its a matter of bringing a scheme that was created to stop the run and deal with a dual threat qb. Enter the 4-4...any team that uses this D and gets punished by a run happy O needs to have its coach's kicked in the ***.The 4-4 allows the Dline to get away with lapse's in gap integrity as the extra Lb and drop safety fill most of the holes in the running lanes.

2. 3-3-5 stack

I call this the playstation D because is simply unrealistic on paper but it works and heres why.

Like River Hill...You can use 3 average size Dlinemen with literally 8 other guys who are db's. Even the the lb's are db size and with all of this speed on the feild at one time, you can zone blitz/run blitz all day and bog down Offense's. If and when the O gets into along passing down, you can drop back 8 db's and make the qb read a downfeild that is often way too busy or flooded to make the right read...if there is any....or the D can send 6 of those db's after the qb and make things even more interesting.

3. 5-2

You can still g bear or 46 on a run team and shut them down. There is no better example of the 88 City Poly game in which Petrides put ...countem...10 men on the Los and shut down Wailbels vaunted Power Tricky T Offense. Stacking the box from the literal standpoint can be so effective vs power running tams that a inferior team always has a chance of beating a superior team when using the 5-2....hell..the 5-2 was one of the reasons the spread O was invented.

44= 4-2-5 which Dunbar run's. And 52 is nothing but a 34, just depends on what you do with your ends/LB's......

#3 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,747 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

big fan of the 4-4 using cover LB's against teams who like to spread it out
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#4 mlf1886

mlf1886

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

The best defense to run depends on the formation that the opposing offense is running.. If there are is 1 Receiver split out I prefer a 6-2 defense. If there are 2 receivers split i would prefer a 5-2 defense.

I like 6 and 5 man defensive fronts because no offensive lineman can double team a defensive lineman. On a one on one match up at least one of your defensive lineman should be able to penetrate and disrupt the flow of the opposing teams offense..

#5 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,747 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

The best defense to run depends on the formation that the opposing offense is running.. If there are is 1 Receiver split out I prefer a 6-2 defense. If there are 2 receivers split i would prefer a 5-2 defense.

I like 6 and 5 man defensive fronts because no offensive lineman can double team a defensive lineman. On a one on one match up at least one of your defensive lineman should be able to penetrate and disrupt the flow of the opposing teams offense..

can we play you :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#6 BJC

BJC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

We ran that friggin wide tackle 6 at Dundalk in 81...Randallstown ran traps up the middle all day on us.

#7 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

44= 4-2-5 which Dunbar run's. And 52 is nothing but a 34, just depends on what you do with your ends/LB's......

Agreed......

#8 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

big fan of the 4-4 using cover LB's against teams who like to spread it out

And when you have off the hook Lb's like Dunbar that are really hybrid supersized db's, you can really shut down the spread and nullify mismatch's in the 1 to 1 area.

#9 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

Point well taken my fellow Jedi.....

#10 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

We ran that friggin wide tackle 6 at Dundalk in 81...Randallstown ran traps up the middle all day on us.

The wide tackle six was invented by Jerry Claiborne to counter power running teams like Penn State...the wide tackle six forces the student body runs to the inside and into traffic....but yes, simple draws and traps is the way to counter it.

#11 Toon Face

Toon Face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

what about the full court press?

#12 FBCoach

FBCoach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

The stack 3-5 is just the the old 5-3 with the DE walked out. Many coaches have always used their best athletes as DE's. Coaches have added a few wrinkles to deal with spread sets and pass coveraes, but many of the concepts are the same. What is old, will one day be new again. The athletes make the defense, more than the defense makes the athlete.

The 4-4 and the 4-2 relatively the same, the outside linebackers are now called dogs. 5-2 and 4-3, again we walk out the ends. The number one thing a good d-coordinator does, is make sure his system is flexible to handle multiple formations, gets his best players to the ball, and creates a system that he is comfortable with making adjustments. Then we have to be able to teach kids to recognize plays, patterns, and situations.

I am not sure one defense is better than the other. I think you just have to learn a system inside and out

#13 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

The stack 3-5 is just the the old 5-3 with the DE walked out. Many coaches have always used their best athletes as DE's. Coaches have added a few wrinkles to deal with spread sets and pass coveraes, but many of the concepts are the same. What is old, will one day be new again. The athletes make the defense, more than the defense makes the athlete.

The 4-4 and the 4-2 relatively the same, the outside linebackers are now called dogs. 5-2 and 4-3, again we walk out the ends. The number one thing a good d-coordinator does, is make sure his system is flexible to handle multiple formations, gets his best players to the ball, and creates a system that he is comfortable with making adjustments. Then we have to be able to teach kids to recognize plays, patterns, and situations.

I am not sure one defense is better than the other. I think you just have to learn a system inside and out

Good stuff here...let me ask you...what D do you throw at a O if you know the qb has subpar passing skills...

#14 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

what about the full court press?

What about the weed you are smoking...

#15 FBCoach

FBCoach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

If a QB can't throw, man coverage. I tend to favor the odd front. So if it is a spread 2X2, I am going to go 5-2 with quarter coverage. I want athletes at end, and I want my will linebacker to be a blitzer and coverage player. We can reduce to keep OL off of him, so he can run free and make plays.

If they run with a te, I would go 5-3, with the safety over the te. You are very weak in the flats with, and the hitch is wide open. Hopefully, we can keep you from running the FB with 8 in the box, and force you to throw the ball. We will bring pressure.

#16 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

If a QB can't throw, man coverage. I tend to favor the odd front. So if it is a spread 2X2, I am going to go 5-2 with quarter coverage. I want athletes at end, and I want my will linebacker to be a blitzer and coverage player. We can reduce to keep OL off of him, so he can run free and make plays.

If they run with a te, I would go 5-3, with the safety over the te. You are very weak in the flats with, and the hitch is wide open. Hopefully, we can keep you from running the FB with 8 in the box, and force you to throw the ball. We will bring pressure.

We know who will be the next Ravens coach if Hardbough doesnt work out...thanks man

#17 mdfootball79

mdfootball79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

FB COACH vs 2x2 you will use a 5-2 quarters look? So are you walking your ends out over the slots and leaving a 5 man box? Or are you keeping the box packed and leaving the slots only covered by the 2 high safeties? A QB with no arms can throw a bubble screen until the cows come home if the slots arent covered. It def is a who has the chalk last situation but if a QB is not a good thrower I would leave the the furthest longest developing throw open.
Your 5-2 is good but go to a cov. 0 if the QB is no good bring 7 to their 6 blockers and cover with 4 on their 4. If you dont get their with your pressure guys could be running but if a team doesnt have a good thrower they probably also do not have advanced pass pro schemes.

Id align in a ghost 6, 4, 0, 4, and ghost 6, keep ILB's home for draw and screen and now you have both ends coming off the edge untouched unless the guards kick out to get them which is unlikely. Tell the ends if a back leaves then peal with him.

#18 afan

afan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

I have seen to many te's drag as the qb waggled on this defense.I also see many iso's being called on this D.I think it was Saban who said if the middle is stacked you can always trap a dummy.

#19 Toon Face

Toon Face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:22 AM

What about the weed you are smoking...

LOL no not me pal :)

#20 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

I have seen to many te's drag as the qb waggled on this defense.I also see many iso's being called on this D.I think it was Saban who said if the middle is stacked you can always trap a dummy.

This is true and simulates very well on ea's ncaa collge football...whenever I see a stack in the middle, I go to play action to freeze them where they are....or... or...I audible a rb to streak right at them to keep them froze where they are then roll out looking for a te drag away from the crowd...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users