Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norman

Derby Day!

112 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm not going out on a limb here, I'll go with Cali Chrome also  :)

Where is Thinking man?, he hasn't posted for a year  :confused:

I'll put my money on Wicked Strong.  Here's hoping I'm wrong, because it would be really nice to see a sweep by California Chrome, but I just don't see it happening.

Well Tonalist would not have been my pick.. :(

Well Tonalist would not have been my pick.. :(

Nor mine, though folks that plunked down some money got great returns.  :(

I have a couple of buddies that picked Tonalist. True to form the ones who made the most money were the ones who needed it the least!

...and here it comes round again!  

Buck Sixty Bruce can't wait until Triple Crown time...I've got a few dollars to burn.

They drew for positions...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/horseracing/2015/04/29/american-pharoah-kentucky-derby-draw-dortmund-carpe-diem/26573455/

Interesting bit about the current favorite in today's post also:

Dortmund is the big star of the Kentucky Derby

By Chuck Culpepper April 29 at 8:55 PM  
LOUISVILLE — Nature’s brutal splendor set to strike again at a calm 2:30 a.m. three Februarys ago, so the uncomplaining mare lay down. As Our Josephina began the unenviable act of foaling, the foal’s emerging hooves looked alarmingly large. The only human around faced a quandary amid the little night lights; summoning stable hands might worsen the tension.

“And those feet were so big,” Emilie Gerlinde Fojan said. “It scared me. Really, it just scared me. It absolutely scared me. ‘How am I going to get this baby out?’ I just gave her time. I’ve done it many times. I didn’t want to call my boys because I didn’t want to get the mare upset . . . I didn’t want to disturb her and turn the lights on and make a lot of noise, because that’s when they tighten up . . . She knows me . . . They like it quiet.”

Fojan told this gradually from a car on Interstate 64 headed the 80 eastbound miles to her farm in Georgetown, Ky. She told this Tuesday after going to Churchill Downs to visit the gigantic and unbeaten Dortmund, three years after she saw him arrive and stand up and scream, four days before his turn among the favorites for the 141st Kentucky Derby. She told this just after she had finished both weeping and embodying this annual convergence.

continues...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/sizing-up-dortmund-as-an-emotional-favorite/2015/04/29/ab965b5e-eea2-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

Betting both Mubtaahij and International Star in that order across the board. Latter is a fighter and keeps improving. The former put on quite a move in last. Had a grueling 20 hour flight to get to the States and doesn't have his feed because it is not approved by the FDA. World class top trainer is a huge plus. The horse looks terrific and reports say he is eating well.

Deep field, a few strong contenders. Dortmund's big frame could hinder. He better be near or in the lead the entire trip. Should be a great race.

Saying hello to old friends on this once great board. 

Edited by thinking_man

Here's to better luck in the Preakness...

I had 4 different horses in blind pick pools and got nothing in the Derby  :D

If they are entered in the Preakness, I'm going to put a few dollars on Materiality and Danzig Moon. There's no fun in going with the favorites. I'm hoping for a payday of $1.60.

On a related note, there was a good article in the Sunday Sun yesterday about the Preakness and the future viability of horesracing in Maryland. Good to see that some real money is finally being invested in the tracks; I noticed lots of construction during my last visit to Laurel. And speaking of Laurel, notwithstanding my Baltimore roots and love of tradition, it does make alot of sense to ultimately move the second jewel of the Triple Crown to that track.

Another small field for the Preakness. Probably put a few dollars down on Divining Rod.

ok, my interest in horse racing is waning but let's go...

1.  dortmund

2.  pharoah

3.  bodhisattva

Nyquist....or a longshot like Majesto?

Repeated the story here a long time ago. 1st went to Delaware Park with my folks when I was a kid, then Ocean Downs in my teens and later to Pimlico in my 20's when my Dad owned a Bar. All 3 times I was bored to tears. 2 min of action then wait 15-20 min for another 2 min of action. Just not my thing, I don't pay it any attention at all. Sorry.

Repeated the story here a long time ago. 1st went to Delaware Park with my folks when I was a kid, then Ocean Downs in my teens and later to Pimlico in my 20's when my Dad owned a Bar. All 3 times I was bored to tears. 2 min of action then wait 15-20 min for another 2 min of action. Just not my thing, I don't pay it any attention at all. Sorry.

Thanks for the happy story Sunshine......

You should try Las Vegas if you want action .....

Edited by Eastside Terp

well who is everyone picking this Saturday for the derby?

That's what I want to know!   I was hoping babylinux or somebody would drop in and let me know.  Perhaps Bowie the Greek Bruce will stop by....

Ha! That attire is a shade or six too colorful for me. As for the head gear, I might have to break down and go the Amazon route. No luck with the Fedora district!

Looking at the likely Derby entries, having seen Irish War Cry at Laurel win his second career race in Laurel, I will have to include him in a bet for sentimental reasons. Also, Gunnevera should bring some good value. His last race at the Florida Derby was in a nearly impossible post position. He excels at closing, which is important with the Derby.

And then we have Classic Empire, the juvenile champion at 2 years old, but with a very rough 3 year old season prior to his last race. Overall, lots of wild cards for the Derby with no runaway favorite, which could make for a nice return. Or a buck sixty.

I was reading a couple stories about the woman who owns Irish War Cry...a lot of history there.

I was reading a couple stories about the woman who owns Irish War Cry...a lot of history there.

Agreed, especially the connection with Monmouth Park. And suffice it to say, I've looked at a lot of racing forms, and very few have included New Jersey breds like Irish War Cry. A Derby victory could provide some nice mojo for that state when it comes to racing/breeding.

A week to go! Is that enough break-in time for the chapeau?