Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norman

Derby Day!

112 posts in this topic

A week to go! Is that enough break-in time for the chapeau?

My only hope is that the oversized melon doesn't break it.

Ask me today, and I'm putting McCracken, Irish War Cry, and Gunnevera in an exacta box, and taking Almost Dreaming across the board. But the post positions, which are critical in such a huge field, are yet to be drawn.

What's the plan for spending the windfall?  Skybox at the Yard?  (or Laurel?)

What's the plan for spending the windfall? Skybox at the Yard? (or Laurel?)

Reinvesting that $1.60 two weeks later at Old Hilltop!

Who's your mudder?

Well, aside from my weak wagering, the Kentucky Derby experience was all that I could have asked for. Any serious railbird needs to include that on their sports bucket list, even it it's clearly on the pricey side. Loved the history, loved the ladies decked out from (especially red) head to toe, would have loved to bet 1 lousy buck on that trifecta that paid out over $8,000! Louisville is a cool town that is serious about preserving its historical buildings. And if I ever find my way there again, Merle's Whiskey Kitchen is a must visit with its live music. And whiskey. The drive from Baltimore is a loooong one (and I have a major issue with West Virginia road construction arrangements), but it was nice to see all those horse farms along the road when driving through Lexington in particular. Oh, and meeting the winning owner of Always Dreaming at our hotel after the Derby was pretty cool, not to mention odd.

On to the Preakness.

Do you have to get a new lid for the Preakness?

19 minutes ago, Norman said:

Do you have to get a new lid for the Preakness?

Undecided!

With the unfortunate career ending injury to Royal Mo (great name) during a morning workout, it appears as though the Preakness will be a 10 horse race. Much more fair to the entries than the Derby, where 20 ponies is about 8 too many and a major accident waiting to happen. While post position won't be nearly as critical as it was at Churchill Downs, I believe that Old Hilltop might have an inside post bias during an off track. Hopefully, that will be a moot point.

For now, I am looking at a trifecta box of Always Dreaming, Classic Empire, Cloud Computing, and Gunnevera. Also thinking of taking Classic Empire across the board, depending upon his value.

Need to get some of my Derby money back!

2 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

With the unfortunate career ending injury to Royal Mo (great name) during a morning workout, it appears as though the Preakness will be a 10 horse race. Much more fair to the entries than the Derby, where 20 ponies is about 8 too many and a major accident waiting to happen. While post position won't be nearly as critical as it was at Churchill Downs, I believe that Old Hilltop might have an inside post bias during an off track. Hopefully, that will be a moot point.

For now, I am looking at a trifecta box of Always Dreaming, Classic Empire, Cloud Computing, and Gunnevera. Also thinking of taking Classic Empire across the board, depending upon his value.

Need to get some of my Derby money back!

Good luck!  I'll be missing this one (on the tube) as it conflicts with the Blues Fest over at Sandy Point...The Fabulous Thunderbirds should be just about done and the Mavericks setting up at post time. One of your bands is playing on Sunday...Robert Randolph...maybe if you hit it big you'll swing over to the bay and buy me a beer at the show!  :D

23 minutes ago, Norman said:

Good luck!  I'll be missing this one (on the tube) as it conflicts with the Blues Fest over at Sandy Point...The Fabulous Thunderbirds should be just about done and the Mavericks setting up at post time. One of your bands is playing on Sunday...Robert Randolph...maybe if you hit it big you'll swing over to the bay and buy me a beer at the show!  :D

It royally (hold the Mo) sucks that the Preakness and Blues Fest take place on the same day. It's hard to beat live music, particularly of the blues variety, and that looks like a damn good lineup of bands for Saturday. If I hit it big, a $1.60 beer is headed your way!

On a related note, I sure do miss the Full Moon Saloon in Fells Point.

I really like the Preakness post drawing where Always Dreaming and Classic Empire will break from the gate side by side. If nothing else, CE deserves a much better trip than the mess at Churchill Downs. Hopefully, a 10 horse race makes for a fair one. Think I'm gonna change my trifecta box to those two horses, along with Conquest Mo Money and Cloud Computing.

Also have some bets on Ben's Cat (sentimental favorite), Shimmering Aspen, and Crabcakes to win their respective races today for the Black Eyed Susan. Eleven years old and still running BC is a local legend around these parts, with over 2.5 million in earnings.