Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norman

Derby Day!

137 posts in this topic

Never been to a race at Churchill but attended a conference dinner / reception at Churchill downs racing hof....

Awesome event .....

After drinks and hor'dorves among the racing memorabila dinner was in this huge round room where the top 15' of the 30' high wall was a 360 movie screen.....

They show this 20 minute or so film with a foal being born, tracking it's life and it ends with a derby with the horses thundering around the room .....

The derby, 15 or 20 feet high going all around you with unbelievable acoustics ....

It's pretty awesome, one of the better conference events I've attended out of many dozens .....

Bruce, got a line on a mudder?

Sure looks like another sloppy track for the Preakness. While I suspect that Justify wins, I want to box in a few longshots to make it interesting. The one who may intrigue me most is Tenfold. Great pedigree (Curlin) and trainer (Asmussen), and I like lightly raced horses in the hope that we have yet to see their best showing. 

Which all means he probably finishes 8th.

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Sure looks like another sloppy track for the Preakness. While I suspect that Justify wins, I want to box in a few longshots to make it interesting. The one who may intrigue me most is Tenfold. Great pedigree (Curlin) and trainer (Asmussen), and I like lightly raced horses in the hope that we have yet to see their best showing. 

Let me know your bets, Bruce, so I can fade you. ;)

Edited by Pickle20

4 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Let me know your bets, Bruce, so I can fade you. ;)

Ha! Lately, my love for the ponies has not been reciprocated.

20 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Good luck!  I'll be over at Soggy Sandy Point for the Blues Fest as usual.

I am pleased to report that I made up for my Derby losses and then some, thanks to a blessed Trifecta Box in the Preakness. I don't know how things played out on TV, but the heavy fog made it nearly impossible to see large parts of the race from the jumbotrons, let alone from any kind of real distance. Somewhat surreal to be cheering from the grandstand as the horses make their final turn into the home stretch, and having no idea visually who is in the lead.

But hell, I can't complain.

24 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

I am pleased to report that I made up for my Derby losses and then some, thanks to a blessed Trifecta Box in the Preakness. I don't know how things played out on TV, but the heavy fog made it nearly impossible to see large parts of the race from the jumbotrons, let alone from any kind of real distance. Somewhat surreal to be cheering from the grandstand as the horses make their final turn into the home stretch, and having no idea visually who is in the lead.

But hell, I can't complain.

Good job.....

7 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Good job.....

Thanks, I was due for some good handicapping luck. Did you happen to catch the race on TV? I am curious how it looked through all of the fog.

2 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Thanks, I was due for some good handicapping luck. Did you happen to catch the race on TV? I am curious how it looked through all of the fog.

I did .....

Together cameras everywhere but it was still tough to see, especially at the end if the backstretch near the 3rd turn ......

It was a 2 horse race thru most of it and the cameras were focused on them and you really couldn't see the other horse a few lengths back.....

It wasn't clear, but you could see the 2 horses side by side ahead of the others....

By coincidence, yesterday morning wife and I watched sea biscuit on HBO on a rainy morning where the climatic scenes happen at "Pimlico" ......

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

I did .....

Together cameras everywhere but it was still tough to see, especially at the end if the backstretch near the 3rd turn ......

It was a 2 horse race thru most of it and the cameras were focused on them and you really couldn't see the other horse a few lengths back.....

It wasn't clear, but you could see the 2 horses side by side ahead of the others....

By coincidence, yesterday morning wife and I watched sea biscuit on HBO on a rainy morning where the climatic scenes happen at "Pimlico" ......

Thanks for the information. I have never "seen" a race like that before with such poor visibility, and wonder if those unusual conditions had any effect on the horses.

I enjoyed the movie Sea Biscuit. And the book was great. A helluva story about persistence and redemption, both equine and human. And a true story to boot.