Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skeemer

Best Restaurants in Carroll Co.

54 posts in this topic

Papa Joe's in Westminster is a terrific little find. They have awesome Mexican, I love their tamales. My hubby is a fan of their Soup of the Seven Seas. They have some regular old American dishes too if you have people with you that don't like Mexican. They serve an excellent house margarita too.

Greenmount Station is OK, but nothing to write home about. Good thing is that kids under 5 eat free, so we can usually get out of there pretty cheap. Baugher's is good for home cooking and breakfast. Desserts are great, and the prices are extremely reasonable.

The restaurant situation in Carroll is quite lacking.

Papa Joe's in Westminster is a terrific little find.
Keep your voice down. Papa Joe's is too small to share! :)

Greenmount Station is OK, but nothing to write home about. Good thing is that kids under 5 eat free, so we can usually get out of there pretty cheap.
It's good bar fare.

Baugher's is good for home cooking and breakfast. Desserts are great, and the prices are extremely reasonable.
I've eaten breakfast there on several occasions and never been disappointed. Evidently, others feel the same way as it is usually filled near capacity.

went to the new Glory Days in Eldersburg today........

it's a regional chain but has good pub type food, wings, burgers, sandwiches, as well as some typical entrees such as fish and chips, etc.......

similar to the Green Turtle but with a really good beer selection (they have at least a dozen beers on tap and offer 4 X 4 oz beer samplers as a "draft").....

good to have another option in the county......

I've heard people say Baldwin's is overpriced, but well worth the money in my opinion

I have not been there since the Saums sold it.

Tonys Hibachi Grill, best Sushi to date in our MD Sushi travels, and we've tried many places.

People rave over Sushi King in Columbia? it's garbage .

I have never been there and I am sure you know better but a sushi place called Tony's? Lol.

Tonys Hibachi Grill, best Sushi to date in our MD Sushi travels, and we've tried many places.

People rave over Sushi King in Columbia? it's garbage .

I have never been there and I am sure you know better but a sushi place called Tony's? Lol.

Forget Tony's for sushi - it's a hibachi grill that also serves sushi, but sushi is NOT their specialty.

J & Y is MUCH better - selection, freshness, friendliness, and they always give you something for free - the only downside is they have no liquor license (but you can bring your own beer or wine if you wish) and the location looks a little sketchy on the outside (the building used to be a carpet shop and I think a pawn shop long ago) - check Urban Spoon or Yelp for the reviews of J & Y if you don't believe me, but it's the best sushi place in MD, bar none.

Forget Tony's for sushi - it's a hibachi grill that also serves sushi, but sushi is NOT their specialty.

J & Y is MUCH better - selection, freshness, friendliness, and they always give you something for free - the only downside is they have no liquor license (but you can bring your own beer or wine if you wish) and the location looks a little sketchy on the outside (the building used to be a carpet shop and I think a pawn shop long ago) - check Urban Spoon or Yelp for the reviews of J & Y if you don't believe me, but it's the best sushi place in MD, bar none.

I see no liquor license as a positive .......

I have had carryout from J & Y and its good .....

tried to go there tonight but the place was crazy crowded with carryout folk walking all between the few tables ......

took my bottle of wine and went across the street to the new Thai place ......

I will try it for lunch or during the week .......

they were packed with a line so they won't miss my business and I am happy they are doing so well :) ......

P.S. - The pawn shop was in the building behind it .....

We finally were able to get a table in there tonight ......

very good sushi and inexpensive as well ......

and you were right, they brought a free volcano roll while we were waiting and a free piece of cheesecake at the end......

spoke with the owner for a while and he was as nice as could be ......

definitely will be back, probably when my daughter is in from cal in a few weeks .....

that's a high bar since the best sushi places I have ever been to have been out in her hangouts in the bay area .......

went back last night with the entire family .........

had a great experience ..........

good call jeebus ........

I've never had a bad experience there, glad to hear that they are continuing to do a great job with the service and the food.

I wish I was closer to take advantage of their carry-out offerings, always seems to be a lot of people coming in to pick up orders.

I've never had a bad experience there, glad to hear that they are continuing to do a great job with the service and the food.

I wish I was closer to take advantage of their carry-out offerings, always seems to be a lot of people coming in to pick up orders.

I just wish it was bigger ........

lots of carryout action, that's whats keeping those 5 or 6 sushi chefs busy i'm sure ......

I have pretty much given up going there on a weekend night ......

not sure where you live but there may be another in the future ........

went to a christmas open house the other day and they had huge platters from J&Y .......

there was as much sashimi and maki as you wanted as lots of folks wouldn't touch it .....

I thought I died and went to heaven .......

they have a J&P in south carroll but I prefer Frank's for pizza and subs ..........

folks around here are split :) ........

I ate at Beck's tonight ........

much, much better the past 2 years or so since keith started cooking there ......

he used to be the exec chef at the crab shanty and has expanded the menu, added tapas, etc.......

baldwin station in sykesville is really nice link .......

the county cork wine bar is a nice new addition to south carroll link .............

the sykesville art and wine festival is this sunday .........

a few miles south over the howard county line, bistro blanc is very nice link

as others have mentioned, Habibs, Cobblestone and Tony's are good ......

Looking through some old threads. I remember the group of us listening the music at the Sykesville Art and Wine Festival. I went this year and had a good time.

Looking through some old threads. I remember the group of us listening the music at the Sykesville Art and Wine Festival. I went this year and had a good time.

yea, that was a good time, sorry I had to miss it this year ......

a few updates from south carroll ......

cobblestones is now Oscar's Alehouse - only been once but had a good meal (but they did remove my favorite tv's behind the bar to install more taps so that's a push :) )

new steakhouse called T-Bones opened in the Plazuelas space but I have not been there .......

buffalo wings and beer has closed - never ate there much but played pool there with some posters from here, will miss those 6 pool tables ........

the big news for the kids around here is that a chik-fil-a opens in september :) .....

buffalo wings and beer has closed - never ate there much but played pool there with some posters from here, will miss those 6 pool tables

That shopping center on Liberty Rd seems to be poisonous to everything but the liquor store (as I remember, one of the biggest in the state) and the barber shop. Every few months when I drive by there seems to be a new set of tenants. Is it crime or just a bad location that causes everything there to fail?

That shopping center on Liberty Rd seems to be poisonous to everything but the liquor store (as I remember, one of the biggest in the state) and the barber shop. Every few months when I drive by there seems to be a new set of tenants. Is it crime or just a bad location that causes everything there to fail?

I don't think crime has anything to do with it ......

its weird because its a fairly affluent area but the eateries do seem to come and go (of course most aren't very good).......

that shopping center has 2 main eating spots and one has turned over several times despite being crowded most of the time .......

they started out as nice family eateries but soon turned into nightclubs .......

we stopped going to 1 of them when they tried to charge us a $5 cover to go into eat after 8 one friday night because the band was ready to start playing .....

the other one was there for about 10 years before recently closing .......

we stopped eating there years ago for a variety of reasons but crime wasn't one of them .......

we ate at the cork tonight, they have the best food in eldersburg but pretty hard to get into on the weekends ......

if a place like becks or o'lordans or even a brick oven pizza place opened along 32 or liberty road they would make a killing .......

we have to run down to columbia, ellicot city or even catonsville way more than we should to get a decent plate .....

Jin's Asian Bistro now has a liquor license :( .......

otoh, J&Y is still BYOB and took a nice Marlborough Cabernet Sauvignon there last night to have with my chirashi don, assorted rolls and tempura ......

well, forget Jin's for a while ......

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-01-24/news/bs-md-carroll-fire-20140124_1_strip-mall-maryland-state-fire-marshal-sykesville-fire-department

I've become a big fan of Tim Thai Classic on Main St which is open under new management in Westminster and has very authentic Thai food.......

there are a lot of multi-culture asian joints popping up that do sushi, thai, chinese, japanese, etc in one kitchen with perhaps a korean or chinese cook ....

this isn't one of those but rather an authentic thai BYOB place that I have been to several times and have have had many excellent soups, apps and entrees ......

still working some things out in the new kitchen and with service but Tim can cook his butt off and is nice as all get out .....

I've become a big fan of Tim Thai Classic on Main St which is open under new management in Westminster and has very authentic Thai food.......

there are a lot of multi-culture asian joints popping up that do sushi, thai, chinese, japanese, etc in one kitchen with perhaps a korean or chinese cook ....

this isn't one of those but rather an authentic thai BYOB place that I have been to several times and have have had many excellent soups, apps and entrees ......

still working some things out in the new kitchen and with service but Tim can cook his butt off and is nice as all get out .....

I haven't lived in Carroll for a few years now. when I did, Thai Classic III was almost a weekly habit for us. I'm not an expert on asian cuisine, but this still stands as the best I've ever had. I'm a little sad to learn that the previous owners sold it. They were a wonderful couple who didn't just own the place, they worked it every day. in my experience, a restaurant changing hands always = a downgrade in quality. new owners come in and use this ingredient over that, because it saves a few pennies, etc.    

I haven't lived in Carroll for a few years now. when I did, Thai Classic III was almost a weekly habit for us. I'm not an expert on asian cuisine, but this still stands as the best I've ever had. I'm a little sad to learn that the previous owners sold it. They were a wonderful couple who didn't just own the place, they worked it every day. in my experience, a restaurant changing hands always = a downgrade in quality. new owners come in and use this ingredient over that, because it saves a few pennies, etc.    

taste is a subjective thing and you like what you like and I like what I like .......

while I was not a regular of Thai Classic III, I was a regular of the original Thai Classic I for years .....

that was good but I also enjoy the new place and the best food is the food you like  ......

I have not had the same experience as you where new owners are always a bad thing......

I have seen new owners make a place better, stay the same or make it worse but again that depends on your taste since the trend these days is more towards fresh ingredients, creative dishes, farm to table, healthier choices, etc.......

Edited by Eastside Terp