53 replies to this topic

#41 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Forget Tony's for sushi - it's a hibachi grill that also serves sushi, but sushi is NOT their specialty.

J & Y is MUCH better - selection, freshness, friendliness, and they always give you something for free - the only downside is they have no liquor license (but you can bring your own beer or wine if you wish) and the location looks a little sketchy on the outside (the building used to be a carpet shop and I think a pawn shop long ago) - check Urban Spoon or Yelp for the reviews of J & Y if you don't believe me, but it's the best sushi place in MD, bar none.

went to a christmas open house the other day and they had huge platters from J&Y .......

there was as much sashimi and maki as you wanted as lots of folks wouldn't touch it .....

I thought I died and went to heaven .......
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#42 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Jin's Asian Bistro now has a liquor license :( .......

otoh, J&Y is still BYOB and took a nice Marlborough Cabernet Sauvignon there last night to have with my chirashi don, assorted rolls and tempura ......
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#43 shutout

shutout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,847 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

they have a J&P in south carroll but I prefer Frank's for pizza and subs ..........

folks around here are split :) ........

I ate at Beck's tonight ........

much, much better the past 2 years or so since keith started cooking there ......

he used to be the exec chef at the crab shanty and has expanded the menu, added tapas, etc.......

baldwin station in sykesville is really nice link .......

the county cork wine bar is a nice new addition to south carroll link .............

the sykesville art and wine festival is this sunday .........

a few miles south over the howard county line, bistro blanc is very nice link

as others have mentioned, Habibs, Cobblestone and Tony's are good ......

Looking through some old threads. I remember the group of us listening the music at the Sykesville Art and Wine Festival. I went this year and had a good time.

#44 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Looking through some old threads. I remember the group of us listening the music at the Sykesville Art and Wine Festival. I went this year and had a good time.

yea, that was a good time, sorry I had to miss it this year ......

a few updates from south carroll ......

cobblestones is now Oscar's Alehouse - only been once but had a good meal (but they did remove my favorite tv's behind the bar to install more taps so that's a push :) )

new steakhouse called T-Bones opened in the Plazuelas space but I have not been there .......

buffalo wings and beer has closed - never ate there much but played pool there with some posters from here, will miss those 6 pool tables ........

the big news for the kids around here is that a chik-fil-a opens in september :) .....

#45 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

buffalo wings and beer has closed - never ate there much but played pool there with some posters from here, will miss those 6 pool tables

That shopping center on Liberty Rd seems to be poisonous to everything but the liquor store (as I remember, one of the biggest in the state) and the barber shop. Every few months when I drive by there seems to be a new set of tenants. Is it crime or just a bad location that causes everything there to fail?

#46 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

That shopping center on Liberty Rd seems to be poisonous to everything but the liquor store (as I remember, one of the biggest in the state) and the barber shop. Every few months when I drive by there seems to be a new set of tenants. Is it crime or just a bad location that causes everything there to fail?

I don't think crime has anything to do with it ......

its weird because its a fairly affluent area but the eateries do seem to come and go (of course most aren't very good).......

that shopping center has 2 main eating spots and one has turned over several times despite being crowded most of the time .......

they started out as nice family eateries but soon turned into nightclubs .......

we stopped going to 1 of them when they tried to charge us a $5 cover to go into eat after 8 one friday night because the band was ready to start playing .....

the other one was there for about 10 years before recently closing .......

we stopped eating there years ago for a variety of reasons but crime wasn't one of them .......

we ate at the cork tonight, they have the best food in eldersburg but pretty hard to get into on the weekends ......

if a place like becks or o'lordans or even a brick oven pizza place opened along 32 or liberty road they would make a killing .......

we have to run down to columbia, ellicot city or even catonsville way more than we should to get a decent plate .....

#47 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Jin's Asian Bistro now has a liquor license :( .......

otoh, J&Y is still BYOB and took a nice Marlborough Cabernet Sauvignon there last night to have with my chirashi don, assorted rolls and tempura ......

well, forget Jin's for a while ......

http://articles.balt...fire-department

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#48 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I've become a big fan of Tim Thai Classic on Main St which is open under new management in Westminster and has very authentic Thai food.......

there are a lot of multi-culture asian joints popping up that do sushi, thai, chinese, japanese, etc in one kitchen with perhaps a korean or chinese cook ....

this isn't one of those but rather an authentic thai BYOB place that I have been to several times and have have had many excellent soups, apps and entrees ......

still working some things out in the new kitchen and with service but Tim can cook his butt off and is nice as all get out .....

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#49 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

I've become a big fan of Tim Thai Classic on Main St which is open under new management in Westminster and has very authentic Thai food.......

there are a lot of multi-culture asian joints popping up that do sushi, thai, chinese, japanese, etc in one kitchen with perhaps a korean or chinese cook ....

this isn't one of those but rather an authentic thai BYOB place that I have been to several times and have have had many excellent soups, apps and entrees ......

still working some things out in the new kitchen and with service but Tim can cook his butt off and is nice as all get out .....

I haven't lived in Carroll for a few years now. when I did, Thai Classic III was almost a weekly habit for us. I'm not an expert on asian cuisine, but this still stands as the best I've ever had. I'm a little sad to learn that the previous owners sold it. They were a wonderful couple who didn't just own the place, they worked it every day. in my experience, a restaurant changing hands always = a downgrade in quality. new owners come in and use this ingredient over that, because it saves a few pennies, etc.    

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#50 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I haven't lived in Carroll for a few years now. when I did, Thai Classic III was almost a weekly habit for us. I'm not an expert on asian cuisine, but this still stands as the best I've ever had. I'm a little sad to learn that the previous owners sold it. They were a wonderful couple who didn't just own the place, they worked it every day. in my experience, a restaurant changing hands always = a downgrade in quality. new owners come in and use this ingredient over that, because it saves a few pennies, etc.    

taste is a subjective thing and you like what you like and I like what I like .......

while I was not a regular of Thai Classic III, I was a regular of the original Thai Classic I for years .....

that was good but I also enjoy the new place and the best food is the food you like  ......

I have not had the same experience as you where new owners are always a bad thing......

I have seen new owners make a place better, stay the same or make it worse but again that depends on your taste since the trend these days is more towards fresh ingredients, creative dishes, farm to table, healthier choices, etc.......

Edited by Eastside Terp, 08 March 2014 - 12:03 PM.

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#51 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

went to Oscars again last night and the place was packed ........

they have a good beer selection although they were out of the stout that had decided I wanted after I spent 5 minutes reading through the dozens of choices :( ........

$2 off pints until 7 is nice (but I don't think you get the deal on snifters)

the buffalo chicken sandwich there is crazy with 2 large chicken breast its enough to feed 2 people (which it did) .......

better than the last joint that was in this space .......

http://www.oscarsalehouse.net/

Edited by Eastside Terp, 08 March 2014 - 12:01 PM.

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#52 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,455 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

I went to Baldwin's on Valentines Day, and it was the first time I'd been in 3 years.  The food was outstanding, as always, maybe even better than I remember.  Not a bad price either for what you are getting, IMO. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#53 mockingbird

mockingbird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,785 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:35 PM

J & Y definitely has the best sushi in Carroll.  Every time I am going through E-burg I pick some up. 

O' Lourden's is delish with a good atmosphere, we go there for date night.  We always sit outside and the bartender makes the Guinness head into a shamrock.

We love J&P's for take out.  We went there for take out every Friday when we lived in Hampstead.  There is one in Westminster now.

Rafael's is good, but it always seems super crowded and I don't like crowds; I hate crowds actually.        

Baugher's is yummy, but another its another place that always has a line out the door and super close seating.  We always end up at Plum Crazy.  They have really awesome chipped beef gravy.  They have good coffee as well and they do take out. 

Tony's Italian Restaurant in Taneytown is awesome. 

My favorite Grocery store is Kennies in Taneytown.  They have to best homemade salads, soup, subs, and pot pies.  Their crab meat is always on sale too.

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.

Native American Proverb

Iron and Wine

#54 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,250 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Old thread but...Rock Salt in Westminster has absolutely fantastic crabcakes. Like one of the best we've ever had fantastic!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users