Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jonsensback

Worst restauraunt experience in my lifetime.

15 posts in this topic

Wife and I were at the Loews in Constant Friendship friday around 7 and decided to get some dinner on the way home. Originally planned to go to the Lodge in Hickory but saw a new place that just opened by BJ's "Pelican Cove". Granted it was their opening night, but after getting seated promptly we sat for 15 minutes without being aknowledged by one of the numerous waitstaff. Finally I went to who appeared to be the owner/manager and he apoligized bigtime and got us drinks on the house. After gettting a drink we still sat for another 15-20 minutes and were ready to leave when the owner came out again and begged us to stay and got us another round on him. He sent the manager over to get our food order which was a bit of a cluster watching the overwhelmed guy take or order on a napkin. They got us another round and we waited another 15 minutes and still nothing. Once again the owner came by when he saw us with nothing and assured ur our food is on its way. Finally a waiter came by to ask us what we ordered,lol and we basically reordere.

The owner again came out and said our food (when it arrives) is being comped and on the house. So we waited 15 more minutes with another round of drinks and our food finally came. It was okay but after all that it was luke warm. I got the shrimp poboy and the bread and shrimp were good but there was no dressing. Usually romelau (sp) is used on a New orleans poboy so I did suggest they look into that.

All in all I will come back, but in a month or two if they are still in business and they get the sevice kinks out.

Did i say that after all those drinks in the house I did get a good buzz? Gin and tonics were A1:D

Wife and I were at the Loews in Constant Friendship friday around 7 and decided to get some dinner on the way home. Originally planned to go to the Lodge in Hickory but saw a new place that just opened by BJ's "Pelican Cove". Granted it was their opening night, but after getting seated promptly we sat for 15 minutes without being aknowledged by one of the numerous waitstaff. Finally I went to who appeared to be the owner/manager and he apoligized bigtime and got us drinks on the house. After gettting a drink we still sat for another 15-20 minutes and were ready to leave when the owner came out again and begged us to stay and got us another round on him. He sent the manager over to get our food order which was a bit of a cluster watching the overwhelmed guy take or order on a napkin. They got us another round and we waited another 15 minutes and still nothing. Once again the owner came by when he saw us with nothing and assured ur our food is on its way. Finally a waiter came by to ask us what we ordered,lol and we basically reordere.

The owner again came out and said our food (when it arrives) is being comped and on the house. So we waited 15 more minutes with another round of drinks and our food finally came. It was okay but after all that it was luke warm. I got the shrimp poboy and the bread and shrimp were good but there was no dressing. Usually romelau (sp) is used on a New orleans poboy so I did suggest they look into that.

All in all I will come back, but in a month or two if they are still in business and they get the sevice kinks out.

Did i say that after all those drinks in the house I did get a good buzz? Gin and tonics were A1:D

Opening night is the worst time to patronize a restaurant. With free food and drinks it sounds like the management was trying to do the right thing. If this is the worst restaurant experience of your life, you are very lucky.

Opening night is the worst time to patronize a restaurant. With free food and drinks it sounds like the management was trying to do the right thing. If this is the worst restaurant experience of your life, you are very lucky.
Free food and drinks are nice and I appreciate the effort. But for a frequent diners like my wife and I, we appreciate good service and food more than a freebie and are willing to pay for it.

My wife and I have both been in the restaurant business and were even part owners of s similar establishment and know well of opening nights.

What he experienced were far from normal opening night issues and I doubt that place will be around in a year if they don't get a clue about the simple concept of acknowledgement of a seated table:D

That seems like a terrible location for a stand-alone restaurant. The last tenant didn't last long at all. I passed the new place a couple times this weekend, and it looked pretty much empty... even around dinner hours. Maybe people just don't realize it's open yet, but they get enough low-speed traffic there (thanks to BJs) that the word should be "out". From what I seem to remember reading in the Aegis, the owner had some major issues just getting the place opened to begin with, so who knows. But... it's close enough to our house, we'll definitely give it a shot sometime soon.

We went to the opening night of a restaurant in Catonsville and had a similar experience. However, after a few months of letting things settle, we went back and it is a great restaurant that we frequent. I probably takes a long time to work the kinks out in a new restaurant.

That seems like a terrible location for a stand-alone restaurant. The last tenant didn't last long at all. I passed the new place a couple times this weekend, and it looked pretty much empty... even around dinner hours. Maybe people just don't realize it's open yet, but they get enough low-speed traffic there (thanks to BJs) that the word should be "out". From what I seem to remember reading in the Aegis, the owner had some major issues just getting the place opened to begin with, so who knows. But... it's close enough to our house, we'll definitely give it a shot sometime soon.

I'd imagine it's banking on the pre-movie theatre crowd

geez you would think after all that booze just about anything would taste good lol
Three beers, it takes more than that to divert my taste buds,lol.

But have to say that soffened the blow a bit to be too picky about the ffood when the food finally came :D

Made a trip to Loews tonight and decided to stop into the Pelican Cove. I must say the food was delicious and our waitress was courteous. The food took a little longer to come out, but you could tell they were making everything from scratch. I'll definitely be back, simply because of the quality of the food I had..

Stopped in Sunday after 8:00 pm thinking it may have been late for a new place on Sunday. Parking lot needs lights or something to convey the status as open. Food was great. Wife selected chicken ceaser salad and was very happy with the Meal. I selected shrimp. I ignored the extensive menu also offering beef as well as other non seafood because seafood has to be the purpose of being there. I was so happy with the shrimp as it was seasoned wonderfully yet did not dominate the shrimp. Looking for the owner so I can heap praise on our server Jenn. I had a hunch she was knew to the industry but she was great. Just the right amount of courtesy and we felt like she was our gaurdian angel.

Wow, I thought people in prison camps had it bad.