Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bensmotorcyclehelmet

Where's the BRAC?

21 posts in this topic

When all those NJ people coming down?

I keep hearing "BRAC-They are coming!"

What's the deal?

You serious?

Look around if you live in Harford and see how many vehicles out of 10 are from Jersey. Chaces are you will see at least depending where you are and 1 out of 5 if you ever venture on APG.

Another clue, check the plate of anyone who cuts you off, good chance they are New, New Jerseyites:D

There are commuter buses that transport alot of former Ft Monmouth workers to APG on a daily basis.

I was told, by one of the commuters, the ride is approximately 2 1/2 hours each way. :eek:

A lot more have come down in the last 6 months or so. The government folks who weren't part of the early arrivals pretty much have May through July mandatory "report dates". Because of MAJOR problems that many / most are having with finding new jobs / careers in the Monmouth area that would keep their pay in the same ballpark... a lot more are making some sort of arrangement to come down (be they government or contractor).

There are two growing factions right now... 1) the renters, who are doing so because they either hope to find something worth going back for, or they can't sell their Jersey homes fast enough... and... 2) the Cecil County / Delaware buyers. Between the idea that Cecil County shortens their commute to Jersey when they want to go back, and the extra house / land they get in those markets... a LOT of the transplants are landing north of the Susquehanna.

According to Col. Ortiz, there are not as many people coming due to private contractors not being able to sell their homes. Only 10% will be coming from Jersey. Col. Ortiz's staff will be giving a presentation at the Bush River Community Council on June 20th at 630pm. We meet in Belcamp. PM me if you would like more details

According to Col. Ortiz, there are not as many people coming due to private contractors not being able to sell their homes. Only 10% will be coming from Jersey. Col. Ortiz's staff will be giving a presentation at the Bush River Community Council on June 20th at 630pm. We meet in Belcamp. PM me if you would like more details

Hmmm... in the last shop that I supported based out of Monmouth, there were 8 government side "engineer" types. 3 have already moved, 3 more are moving next month, and 1 is renting here to keep the job and buy more time. The other retired and is taking a shot at private consulting. That's 7 out of 8. In my current domain, I'd guesstimate that about 25 of the 40-ish inhabitants (govt. and contractor mix) were in New Jersey a year ago. The license plates in the parking lot of the complex have New Jersey printed on them at least a 30% - 40% ratio.

I honestly never expected the Monmouth folks to come down in the numbers they have so far. I figured they'd find SOME other decent jobs and a reason to stay up there, or they'd find a way to hide a lot of the work up there at Lakehurst, contractor sites, etc. But after years of hearing the typical lines... "New Jersey is the greatest place on earth", "I'm not moving", "We'll save Monmouth somehow", "I'll miss the pizza too much", yadda yadda yadda... it seems like they're giving in at a much larger rate than expected. 10% strikes me as a massive understatement...

You serious?

Look around if you live in Harford and see how many vehicles out of 10 are from Jersey. Chaces are you will see at least depending where you are and 1 out of 5 if you ever venture on APG.

Another clue, check the plate of anyone who cuts you off, good chance they are New, New Jerseyites:D

I concur with jonsensback, haven't you noticed the increased rudeness in Harford County?:eek:

I didn't really notice it until you all pointed it out.

But after reading this, I've seen all the license plates you all are talking about, and a fair number of "Snookies" and "Pauly Ds" in Abingdon...

:D

Outside of the Rt. 24 Interchange at Constant Friendship, It'd be nice if Harco could improve the infrastructure to handle all the traffic-- it was needed well before BRAC...

The rest of 24 and 924 is terrible. (not that that's new!)

And

Rt. 22 from Bel Air to Aberdeen and back is a mess just about all the time, but especially from 2-8:30 p.m.

:eek:

When BRAC was announced in 2005, polling was done and a lot of Ft Monmouth personnel were going to retire. Then the economy went down hill and a lot of them found it in their best interest to relocate. The federal government has a program to buy houses from federal workers so I am not sure if selling their houses in NJ is an issue.

Hmmm... in the last shop that I supported based out of Monmouth, there were 8 government side "engineer" types. 3 have already moved, 3 more are moving next month, and 1 is renting here to keep the job and buy more time. The other retired and is taking a shot at private consulting. That's 7 out of 8. In my current domain, I'd guesstimate that about 25 of the 40-ish inhabitants (govt. and contractor mix) were in New Jersey a year ago. The license plates in the parking lot of the complex have New Jersey printed on them at least a 30% - 40% ratio.

I honestly never expected the Monmouth folks to come down in the numbers they have so far. I figured they'd find SOME other decent jobs and a reason to stay up there, or they'd find a way to hide a lot of the work up there at Lakehurst, contractor sites, etc. But after years of hearing the typical lines... "New Jersey is the greatest place on earth", "I'm not moving", "We'll save Monmouth somehow", "I'll miss the pizza too much", yadda yadda yadda... it seems like they're giving in at a much larger rate than expected. 10% strikes me as a massive understatement...

From what I understand, the people who actually work for the Govt. they have 1 year to sell their house, if they can not, then the Govt. buys the house from them.

Which was most of the first groups down. However, the majority of the people coming were working for Private Defense Contractors and they don't get the same deal. Most of them either can't sell their home or would take to big of a hit on the sale and can't afford to move down here.

The BRAC timeline needs to be changed so it aligns itself with the election of The President. For example, the President is in office for one year of his first term and then BRAC is implemented in his 2nd year of office so the whole system flows a lot better.

All the BRAC people are in the Kliens Shop Rite in Forest Hill. I went in there a couple of weeks ago and it sounded like I was visiting Mom up in NJ. Having learned the dialect as a child, I can offer translation services.

That would explain all the traffic up that way.

And the need for a 2 story Kohls.

All the BRAC people are in the Kliens Shop Rite in Forest Hill. I went in there a couple of weeks ago and it sounded like I was visiting Mom up in NJ. Having learned the dialect as a child, I can offer translation services.

I said it before, but I'm very surprised by just how many Jersey folks have come down in one form or another (whether they've purchased homes, or are renting). Seems like most, or at least a LARGE percentage, are hunkering down in Cecil County. I listen to the Jersey accent, and the Jersey attitude :) all day long... absolutely surrounded by it. Locals are in the minority in a LOT of places on base at APG these days... especially the CECOM / C4ISR related facilities.

There's also a chance (percentages vary based on who you ask) that Fort Monmouth might be given an extension before turning out the last lights. I know a lot of those folks have worked very hard in the last couple of years to find alternate homes for their support around Lakehurst, Dix, etc. Granted, the govt. facilities are moving, and many are already here. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a gradual (SMALL) migration BACK to NJ by some once more arrangements like that are implemented.

There's also a chance (percentages vary based on who you ask) that Fort Monmouth might be given an extension before turning out the last lights.

That's just delusional thinking on the part of the Asbury Park Press, or a lame effort to sell more papers. It make take a year to button the place up, but the jobs are gone.