Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bensmotorcyclehelmet

Harco development

69 posts in this topic

Thought this might be a good place to post updates about proposed or in-progress work/building/development in and around Harford County.

Most of the time, people find out before it's too late to participate in P&Z.

----------------

Red Pump Elementary School construction is chugging away. All the land around it has been razed for the new development. They have been working on infrastructure for months now.

Chic-Fil-A coming to the area near the new Kohls in Forest Hill.

I've been hearing a Lowes hardware store proposed for Rt 1 and 543 intersection....

Anyone else?

I grew up in Harford County, and my parents and other relatives still live there.

When I come back to visit, it competely depresses me on how overdeveloped that county has become. It's very sad to see it have turned into such a congested suburban area.

Any news concerning the Abingdon Walmart move? Last I heard, Walmart was trying to buy property on Rt 24, across the street near Wegmans, so they can expand into a Super Walmart?

No to a Walmart next to the wegmans as far as I know.

Sounds like there will be a Wegmans, PNC Bank and JC Penny, but no Walmart. I was hearing Plumtree too, but it already seems like they will have a huge battle on their hands if they try to go there. Aty the recent P&Z meetings, people were already up in arms about the mere mention of it...and I don't think it was even on the agenda.

Wegmans will be off of Rt. 924. The last unconfirmed rumor I heard about Wal-Mart is they are looking to build on 924 near Plumtree Road where the new "Avenue" will be built.
Your right, behind the Mickey D's by Colonade.

Don't see why we even need one in that area with the new one in Fallston and the other Super in Aberdeen.

Same with Home depot. Do we really need 3 in the county?

Wegmans will be off of Rt. 924. The last unconfirmed rumor I heard about Wal-Mart is they are looking to build on 924 near Plumtree Road where the new "Avenue" will be built.

New 'Avenue'?

All I heard was Walmart wanted to abandon their current site off Rt24 and build a Super Walmart somewhere on 924.

I was born and raised in the Havre de Grace area and have become frustrated with it's growth. The Bel Air/Abingdon area is just too much now.

Fallstons' not even quiet anymore.

Perspectives are interesting. I grew up in a Baltimore city rowhouse. Not a "townhouse", a rowhouse. :) Harford County, even the congested Route 24 corridor, is still pleasantly rural to me. Quarter-acre lots with a few trees and shrubbery compared to an 18x6 postage stamp of a front lawn is still sort of like a private state park. ;) I exaggerate a little, of course.

I've heard the "another Avenue at White Marsh" label given to both the Wegman's development and the 924 / Plumtree parcel. Is it going to apply to one, or both?

They just moved the 924 crossing taffic at the 24 / 924 intersection under the unfinished bridge. Can somebody explain to me why they wouldn't just go ahead and FINISH the short bridge span FIRST, before re-routing traffic underneath it????? Seems to me like they're just going to be closing that to through traffic from time to time when working on the overpass... when they could avoid that hassle by just leaving it in it's current configuration for a few more months...

Perspectives are interesting. I grew up in a Baltimore city rowhouse. Not a "townhouse", a rowhouse. :) Harford County, even the congested Route 24 corridor, is still pleasantly rural to me. Quarter-acre lots with a few trees and shrubbery compared to an 18x6 postage stamp of a front lawn is still sort of like a private state park. ;) I exaggerate a little, of course.

I've heard the "another Avenue at White Marsh" label given to both the Wegman's development and the 924 / Plumtree parcel. Is it going to apply to one, or both?

They just moved the 924 crossing taffic at the 24 / 924 intersection under the unfinished bridge. Can somebody explain to me why they wouldn't just go ahead and FINISH the short bridge span FIRST, before re-routing traffic underneath it????? Seems to me like they're just going to be closing that to through traffic from time to time when working on the overpass... when they could avoid that hassle by just leaving it in it's current configuration for a few more months...

Perspective. :)

I would bet many of the born and raised Harford Countians frown on the growth spurt of the last 15 years.

I try to avoid 24 and 924 at all costs.

Walmart has said they are atleast 3 years away from making any moves. This is simply exploratory. Joe's crab shack is going in next to wegmans. Sonic is being built at 924 and Plumtree and will be open in October.

If you want to know what's going to be built or changed in harford county, use this link.

http://www.harfordcountymd.gov/PlanningZoning/index.cfm?ID=53

This is where you will find the "DAC"

Does the DAC or P&Z ever actually deny anything in Harford County?

It certainly doesn;t seem that way. Seems like if you are patient, or strike a deal, your project will get passed, regardless if it's a good idea in the big scheme of things.

Another Royal Farms with a carwash going in at Rt 1 and 543...

:rolleyes:

And I was out in Forest Hill/Fallston area this weekend and oh my gosh, traffic is terrible along Red Pump Rd! REALLY BAD. I'm wondering how it will be better with a 110 more houses going in back there. Seems like the county sold out and approved the neighborhood just to get the school/new sewer system taken care of. Total disreagard for how it will effect the area.

Does the DAC or P&Z ever actually deny anything in Harford County?

It certainly doesn;t seem that way. Seems like if you are patient, or strike a deal, your project will get passed, regardless if it's a good idea in the big scheme of things.

Another Royal Farms with a carwash going in at Rt 1 and 543...

:rolleyes:

And I was out in Forest Hill/Fallston area this weekend and oh my gosh, traffic is terrible along Red Pump Rd! REALLY BAD. I'm wondering how it will be better with a 110 more houses going in back there. Seems like the county sold out and approved the neighborhood just to get the school/new sewer system taken care of. Total disreagard for how it will effect the area.

If the project is zoned properly and follows the subdivision and zoning code... no they won't deny it. It's when special considerations are asked for outside of the ordinances that will allow the county to turn it down... while rare... does happen. By the time it gets to DAC... they are just tweeking the plan to conform.

If the project is zoned properly and follows the subdivision and zoning code... no they won't deny it. It's when special considerations are asked for outside of the ordinances that will allow the county to turn it down... while rare... does happen. By the time it gets to DAC... they are just tweeking the plan to conform.

I think the denials are probably a huge rarity in Harford county.

I agree that residents need to get involved with the P&Z process.

But a big problem is most residents don't know how the county is zoned, and most aren't versed in the P&Z to even understand what a "For Sale- Zoned B2" sign means.

Then, when residents do come to speak their minds at the DAC meetings, it's already too late bc/c the zoning is already in place.

And it's not easy to find accurate information along the way. The info available on the govt website and that they pass out and distribute to the public is biased at best, untruthful at worst. Read the minutes [provided by the developers (?!)] to the gov't about some of the more contentious public input meetings. When you read them, the voiced concerns are minimized or altogether ignored.

IMO, the system is broken, when a community and neighborhoods can rally behind something and it simply gets pushed through anyway, because "the zoning is there."

If this makes any sense, it seems like the zoning isn't considering "actual use."

But a big problem is most residents don't know how the county is zoned, and most aren't versed in the P&Z to even understand what a "For Sale- Zoned B2" sign means.

I hear you. It's usually not until a notice of a project starting that affected residents get riled up. By then it's too late.

Then, when residents do come to speak their minds at the DAC meetings, it's already too late bc/c the zoning is already in place.

Doesn't help that the meetings are 9am on Wednesdays either

And it's not easy to find accurate information along the way. The info available on the govt website and that they pass out and distribute to the public is biased at best, untruthful at worst. Read the minutes [provided by the developers (?!)] to the gov't about some of the more contentious public input meetings. When you read them, the voiced concerns are minimized or altogether ignored.

The input meeting process was well intended by P&Z, but like everything else the developers touch it has become corrupted. I have read the minutes of meetings I have attended and little if any of the information is correct.

IMO, the system is broken, when a community and neighborhoods can rally behind something and it simply gets pushed through anyway, because "the zoning is there."

If this makes any sense, it seems like the zoning isn't considering "actual use."

http://www.harfordcountymd.gov/Downloads.cfm?IDDept=57

Zoning doesn't occur in a vacumn. The counties recent comprehensive rezoning process was well publicized and meetings held through out the county. My community was able to defeat rezoning of property in several locations. It takes the work of volunteers and there are several organizations that will help communities through the process. Friends of Harford is an excelent organization that will help understand the process.

This site will allow you to download all the information on development codes and maps in the county. If you have trouble finding something let me know (pm) and be glad to help you as much as I can.

Good info!

Now where can I find information on the harco building codes for residential dwellings?

Specifically, I wanted to know things like how close additions can come near a neighbors house, any height restrictions on additions, etc etc...

Good info!

Now where can I find information on the harco building codes for residential dwellings?

Specifically, I wanted to know things like how close additions can come near a neighbors house, any height restrictions on additions, etc etc...

Start here... go to page three where the R1 chart start. Follow it across for front, side and rear yard set backs as well as how many stories. One story typically is ten feet.

Assuming you're in a development... you need to find out whether your area is zoned RR, R1, R2 or R3.

As an example in the R1 chart... go down to Single Family Detached. Minimun side yard setback from the property line is 6'. The total of both side yards however is 20'. Meaning if one side yard (distance from property line to structure, is 6' the other side needs to be a min. of 14' If it's 10' the other side also needs to be a min. of 10'. Front yard is 20' rear yard is 50' and max height is 3 stories or 30'.

I am so pissed.

I was entering I95 this morning around 6:15 am at RT 24 and the contractor who's doing the paving forgot to sweep up the overspill. I have a cracked windshield and 5 huge star chips in it...who takes care of complaints like this?

It pisses me because there's really no reason other than the contractor not cleaning up the job properly.

I would suggest you avoid that entrance ramp until they finish paving it.

The development process in Harford is corrupt...ask anybody who knows anything about David Craig and who his cronies are. The method is to crap on it slowly to justify more crapping on it and then to finally determine that my gosh it now needs to be a fully engulfed subdivision or a strip mall because it's right next to another strip mall. There's this little rule that says you can't increase development from light to intense if the stop/start times at intersections and other eggress sources are negatively affected - thus you have the removal of the single lane bridge at Watervale. That's the next shoe to drop because how convenient for them - after the new bridge is complete (which the taxpayers will spend millions on); they'll have nothing technically stopping intense developement on the other side so the path between the new Red Pump school and all that open land will be unimpeded. I have no proof but eyes wide open that it's highly likely that money changes hands.

The development process in Harford is corrupt...ask anybody who knows anything about David Craig and who his cronies are. The method is to crap on it slowly to justify more crapping on it and then to finally determine that my gosh it now needs to be a fully engulfed subdivision or a strip mall because it's right next to another strip mall. There's this little rule that says you can't increase development from light to intense if the stop/start times at intersections and other eggress sources are negatively affected - thus you have the removal of the single lane bridge at Watervale. That's the next shoe to drop because how convenient for them - after the new bridge is complete (which the taxpayers will spend millions on); they'll have nothing technically stopping intense developement on the other side so the path between the new Red Pump school and all that open land will be unimpeded. I have no proof but eyes wide open that it's highly likely that money changes hands.

It was a very strange process indeed, of shoe-horning the whole project through. The only "Legacy" is being a sellout.

Farm land disappears, traffic lights failing up and down the area, backups all along that stretch of 24. Carrs Mill, Watervale is next...

All for a buck.

The Red Pump School was pumped through by Boniface, SLutzky and their lap dog Macmahon- these members of the County Council need to go next election. Why should the County Council determine where a school is built? Oh because it opens the moratorium on building for their developer buddies. meanwhile, over by the Campus Hills area, all schools remain overcrowded, the School system has to sit through 6 painful re-districting hearings with alot of venom and anger spewed while the County Council sits back and say "We are not involved!". Boniface doesn't care- his farm is way up in Darlington, protected from all the construction and building....can we please build another pharmacy, bank or auto parts sstore in Bel Air? We really don't have enough of these....sheesh

When a school is "overcrowded", and we start lining up portables, and everybody starts complaining about it, and a new development with 120 homes starts going up in that already overcrowded district... why does the only solution we ever talk about require building a NEW school? Well, there's always redistricting too, but that's probably even more of an unpopular firestorm than the "new school" planning...

What's wrong with an addition / expansion of the current building once in a while? When's the last time the county just put a "new wing" on an existing school building?

As for development being corrupt, there's corruption in development EVERYWHERE...

When a school is "overcrowded", and we start lining up portables, and everybody starts complaining about it, and a new development with 120 homes starts going up in that already overcrowded district... why does the only solution we ever talk about require building a NEW school? Well, there's always redistricting too, but that's probably even more of an unpopular firestorm than the "new school" planning...

What's wrong with an addition / expansion of the current building once in a while? When's the last time the county just put a "new wing" on an existing school building?

As for development being corrupt, there's corruption in development EVERYWHERE...

Abingdon Elementary was expanded back in 2003.

Schools that serviced the Red Pump Area were not overcrowded- Youths benefit in Fallston did not service the ''core area'- Bel Air Elementary and Forest Lakes did. Developers wanted that area to have the Building moratorium lifted so that they could then build on the land they had already bought. Campaign donations to Boniface, Slutzky and macMahon- bingo! You get a school shoved into a community when it was desperately needed over in the Prospect Mill area. PM 5th graders attend school at Southhamption Middle School- nice huh?