Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bensmotorcyclehelmet

Harco development

69 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, the powers that be were not smart enough to realize that building or expanding the schools in Prospect Mill/Churchville area would:

1) Help with the need for schools in those areas. AND it would,

2) Allow them to move the Prospect Mill and Churchville residents that attend Edgewood and Aberdeen schools closer to home. AND it would,

3) Ensure the schools that are in the BRAC areas get relief and bolster their low student/teacher ratio etc. that are examined when determining what communities can handle more jobs...AND go a far way to ensure the jobs we have STAY in Harco.

The reason Red Pump was built was to allow Euler and his buddies to develop Blake's Legacy and many other parcels of land they have been sitting on for years. Its all about the money and the greed. It really irks me that the last election those that were responsible for this were sent back to office to continue their money grabbing ways.

If you live inside the development envelope, the land will be built out. Anything currently in agriculture, will be developed. Eventually.

The development envelope was created in the late 1970's, so for those that care to know, it's been known.

That's true.

And like everyhting else, it happened under the watch of at least 3 CC who ran for office and campaigned as old-school, "pro farm, anti-development."

But unfortunately they are still politicians...

I tried to get a varience for a minor zoning issue on my property about 10 years ago. I went to one of the leading zoning attorneys in Bel Air to inquire about getting it done...

He flat out told me that you can get anything you want pertaining to zoning issues changed in Harford County if you have enough money...

He was right, I don't have alot of money and I didn't get my varience...

Welcome to Harford County. Money talks and the poor man walks.

It's sad, really.

Look up how much Frederick Ward has given to politicians in the past 10 years. Then look at who gets all the design business in Harco.

Surprise!

:rolleyes:

Looks like the old horse farm at 136 & Goat Hill will be houses soon. Construction equipment on site.:(

Looks like the old horse farm at 136 & Goat Hill will be houses soon. Construction equipment on site.:(

I was afraid after they built that recreation complex that it wouldn't be long...

I know the developers are salivating looking at all that raw land on 136 between Rt 7 and Rt 22. They probably have John Gessner et al working on it as we speak...

Where else do they have to expand. They have pillaged and raped 90% of the land between Edgewood and Bel Air.

Southern Harford County has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Sad.

I've heard he sold to family and that it's not a development, but don't know for sure.

The hideous McDonalds is now open for business in what was once a corn field at the corner of Belair Rd. and 152. Nice to see they tore out all the trees - damned trees just get in the way of the dozers - good riddance to them. It's open now serving hot coffee and egg McMuffins...that's so much more important than a silly old cornfield.

New home building up...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/explore/harford/news/business/ph-ag-home-building-0713-20110711,0,311333.story

Awesome.

Why is every neighborhood called "Name's Legacy?"

Sadly in many cases it's a historic reference to a family who homesteaded there a century or two ago...it's a silly, phoney homage to history that we know these developers could give two peices of dog do do about.

Sadly in many cases it's a historic reference to a family who homesteaded there a century or two ago...it's a silly, phoney homage to history that we know these developers could give two peices of dog do do about.

True and I bet that the original owners of the land would be spinning in their graves if they could see what their beloved farms have turned into.

I'm surprised these new homes are selling.

One cookie cutter home after another off Rt 7 between Aberdeen and Riverside. And they're still building.

I'm surprised these new homes are selling.

One cookie cutter home after another off Rt 7 between Aberdeen and Riverside. And they're still building.

I don't think that BRAC is bringing in the mother lode of new home sales in Harford County like they thought it would...

I notice alot of Delaware tags on cars coming into the Proving Ground since CECOM moved down...

I can't really see it being the economy either with government workers being in the equation. Steady paychecks coming in unlike the private sector.

I don't think that BRAC is bringing in the mother lode of new home sales in Harford County like they thought it would...

I notice alot of Delaware tags on cars coming into the Proving Ground since CECOM moved down...

I can't really see it being the economy either with government workers being in the equation. Steady paychecks coming in unlike the private sector.

I think many of those BRAC affected employees don't want to move to a more expensive housing area and/or can't quit because now there are no other jobs to be had. Either way a long commute looks better than losing a bunch of money you had set up for retirement. Plus with government cutbacks and planned steep reductions in military expenditures I'm betting many of the promised jobs never materialize.

I think many of those BRAC affected employees don't want to move to a more expensive housing area and/or can't quit because now there are no other jobs to be had. Either way a long commute looks better than losing a bunch of money you had set up for retirement. Plus with government cutbacks and planned steep reductions in military expenditures I'm betting many of the promised jobs never materialize.

I know housing costs down here are much cheaper than up in the Monmouth area. I'm just wondering how many are having a hard time selling their houses up north without taking a mega loss...

Looking at the thousands of cars in the parking lot over at the new C4ISR complex, tells me that quite a few made the move south. I know for a fact that all those employees didn't come from the current APG workforce...

I'm sure a handfull commute down from Jersey, but not all that many. Its just to far to drive everyday. I'm just not sure where they all live, but I'm sure their not all residing in Harford County.

1. Can they sell their homes in NJ?

2. Do they REALLY want to buy right now when the market hasn't hit bottom just yet?

This isnt just a Harco thing it's a USA thing.

Drive on / off base at rush hours and you'll see a TON of New Jersey plates, or new Maryland plates with NJ-centric frames around them. Probably 30% (if not more) of the plates in my complex fall in those categories, and the majority of the 40+ folks in my immediate space are transplants. The conversations start Wednesday afternoons about when everybody is "heading back", what they're doing, which NJ beach they're going to, etc.

Some have completely moved. Seems like the younger folks and the government higher-ups are the most likely to have already locked themselves in to new homes. Many are renting a house / apartment while they wait to either: 1) sell their NJ homes, or 2) find an enticing opportunity back in NJ that offers some long-term stability AND keeps their salary in the same range. Both options take time right now, and the second might be even more difficult than the first. NJ state income taxes are more generous for them, though real estate taxes can be a bear up there... but it seems to depend on your locality. Some folks with standard 3 / 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath homes (not mansions or McMansions) claim to pay $10,000 a year (and up) in property taxes up there, while others claim to have valuable homes and pay a fraction of that.

A lot of the transplants seem to be opting for Cecil County, DE, and even PA or southern NJ right now. The big reason being that it shortens their commute "home". Not sure I'd worry that much about saving 30 to 45 minutes each way to NJ a few times a month, at the expense of adding that time each way to work EVERY day... but to each his own. The "home for your buck" angle in Cecil County is very appealing to a lot of the transplants I've talked to... vs. the Harford County development zones and farther south.

Personally, I think the NUMBER of total "new" jobs will not match the hyped projections... but it will still represent a considerable increase in "north of the beltway" opportunities for folks who used to drive through the tunnels every day to a DoD-related engineering / technical job. Some of the office buildings going up around APG will, I'd be willing to bet, still be empty or mostly empty 5 years from now. But that's probably more the fault of over-eager development interests trying to cash in before reality sets in and things settle down. All in all, for folks who live north of the city and want to do this kind of work... it's a plus. I could probably name at least 50 people that have lived in HarCo for years, used to commute 45+ minutes south through the tunnels to get to some BWI/Columbia/Fort Meade area job that are now doing SOMETHING at or near APG.

Don't even try to travel, 40, Philadelphia Rd (Rt7) from Edgewood to Havre de Grace between 7am & 9am and 4pm & 6pm Monday thru Friday. Seven hundred new homes at Beechtree... good Lord! Was twenty minutes late for an 8am tee time at Rugles Monday when I should have had ten min. to putt around. Horrible!

Don't even try to travel, 40, Philadelphia Rd (Rt7) from Edgewood to Havre de Grace between 7am & 9am and 4pm & 6pm Monday thru Friday. Seven hundred new homes at Beechtree... good Lord! Was twenty minutes late for an 8am tee time at Rugles Monday when I should have had ten min. to putt around. Horrible!

Just what lil rinky dink Rt 7 and Stepney Road needs. Typical Harford County, develop the land before the infrastructure is in place...

Always the cart before the horse. Or should I say the horses a ss.

What's up with that huuuge unfinished home addition on Red Pump Rd.?

It's been sitting there unfinished for like a year now?

What's up with that huuuge unfinished home addition on Red Pump Rd.?

It's been sitting there unfinished for like a year now?

Vanity bigger than their wallet?

I was thinking vanity bigger than their wallett,

OR

Failure to comply to housing codes. Just an eyeball, but it seems higher than 30 feet.

If it's the latter, I wonder if they will have to tear it all down...

Speaking of Red Pump developemnt, the Aegis had an interesting editorial:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/explore/harford/publications/the-aegis/ph-ag-red-pump-edit-0722-20110721,0,3889028.story

Failure to comply to housing codes. Just an eyeball, but it seems higher than 30 feet.

If it's the latter, I wonder if they will have to tear it all down...

The 30ft limit is easy to get around. First of all, it's the average height. They way they can compute the average boggles the mind.