Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luv_big

Dove Ad stirs up controversy

67 posts in this topic

http://thelook.today.com/_news/2011/05/26/6717962-dove-body-wash-ad-stirs-controversy-?gt1=43001

Critics are buzzing about the ad, which shows three women standing in front of a wall split into "before" and "after" panes. The issue: The women become gradually lighter in skin (and, some have pointed out as an aside, thinner) from left to right.

Wow how does Dove explain this one.

The dog whistle of racism is heard yet again.

Too funny.

I saw three different skin tones of woman and the posters behind them appear to advertise the stuff is good for your skin. I'm out after that.

If you want to see some racist crap in that then I think it says more about you then it does about Dove.

If it was the first Dove ad, it could be suspect by people who weren't sure. However, they have used all types of women and girls as models and are known to celebrate the beauty of diversity. I context with thier past ads- no problem should be found. The "before" and "after" panels show texture improvement - not lightening of color.

And I will add- that Dove commericals make me smile; they pick the most congenial models for their ads. What vibrant, happy women they use!

Oh for the love of God. Talk about PC gone amuck. If the order were reversed, would that be ok?
No. This isn't "PC gone amuck." This is people making models whiter. Do you not see the problem with that?

The dog whistle of racism is heard yet again.

Too funny.

I saw three different skin tones of woman and the posters behind them appear to advertise the stuff is good for your skin. I'm out after that.

If you want to see some racist crap in that then I think it says more about you then it does about Dove.

So would you be okay with me going through all of your pictures and making you black?

No. This isn't "PC gone amuck." This is people making models whiter. Do you not see the problem with that?

If that's what you see then you should really do some soul searching.

You are just looking to feel insulted and make an issue out of something that isn't.

Our society if full of wimps like you.

If that's what you see then you should really do some soul searching.

You are just looking to feel insulted and make an issue out of something that isn't.

Our society if full of wimps like you.

Heh, you're the one who should do some soul searching. I'm not insulted. I'm not offended. I'm not black.

This is clearly racism. You're a ******* joke, realistic, and you know that.

So would you be okay with me going through all of your pictures and making you black?

What are you talking about?

These woman were hired to model. Someone was hired to design the set. I suspect for artistic visual reasons the chose a transition in the model's skin tones. They included a black woman, someone of medium complexion (not going to guess on the race, picture too small) and a white woman.

B F D.

Yeah, I'm sure there is ad agencies chock full of racists and that Dove intended to be racist when they created and approved the ad. That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, what was the term directed at Gingrich? Oh yeah, "coded racism".

You dopes need to grow a set.

Sometimes a soap ad is a soap ad and nothing more.

Those that don't like an INNOCENT ad.............don't buy Dove. :rolleyes:

Seriously. What is your problem? Shall we make whipped cream a slightly darker tone; surely there must be some conspiracy there - I'm sure all creameries are racist and it must be against only dark peoples after all butter is yellow so Asians must be OK; right?

Dove Smove, I buy what is on sale, the best bang for my hard earned dollar.

What are you talking about?

These woman were hired to model. Someone was hired to design the set. I suspect for artistic visual reasons the chose a transition in the model's skin tones. They included a black woman, someone of medium complexion (not going to guess on the race, picture too small) and a white woman.

B F D.

Yeah, I'm sure there is ad agencies chock full of racists and that Dove intended to be racist when they created and approved the ad. That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, what was the term directed at Gingrich? Oh yeah, "coded racism".

You dopes need to grow a set.

Sometimes a soap ad is a soap ad and nothing more.

It's a part of society you ignorant moron. Children see these ads. These clearly racist ads.

Just because something is "just a soap ad" doesn't mean it can't be racist. Things don't have to be a big deal in order to be racist. You're one racist mother ****er, but you're not a big deal.

It isn't about growing a set, people deal with racism on a societal level daily. And *******s like you think they just need to get over it. No. People like you need to shut the **** up. You don't know what you're dealing with. You don't know how to handle yourself.

No it is not.

There is no progression of one woman who goes thru skin color change. There are 3 women of different skin colors.

The change is from flawed skin to improved skin. The skin tone/color on the two "before/after" shots does not change.

If you are looking to be offended you can always find something I guess. There is enough actual racism in this world to worry about.

Seriously. What is your problem? Shall we make whipped cream a slightly darker tone; surely there must be some conspiracy there - I'm sure all creameries are racist and it must be against only dark peoples after all butter is yellow so Asians must be OK; right?
Sorry, is someone trying to make your world a little less white?

The overt racism on these boards is abhorrent.

Dove Smove, I buy what is on sale, the best bang for my hard earned dollar.

The green Dove bar soap is great--has the moisturizer but the smell is more refreshing. I am a soap aficianado myself. (Hey everyone should have a hobby!:D)

No it is not.

There is no progression of one woman who goes thru skin color change. There are 3 women of different skin colors.

The change is from flawed skin to improved skin. The skin tone/color on the two "before/after" shots does not change.

If you are looking to be offended you can always find something I guess. There is enough actual racism in this world to worry about.

Again, I'm not offended. The ad is kind of racist, even if unintentionally.

I actually don't think Dove is trying some massive "lets make the world white" statement here. They've simply created a faux pas. But you can't sit there and go, "this isn't racism!" It is!

Sorry guys, this is slightly racist.

The photographer knew exactly what he/she was doing......

If you work in an office you know exactly what I am talking about as far as the sneaky...."I didn't mean anything by it" attitude.

The green Dove bar soap is great--has the moisturizer but the smell is more refreshing. I am a soap aficianado myself. (Hey everyone should have a hobby!:D)

I am too, selective but my bottom line is price.

I mean, I don't know that it was intentional. Dove (as a company) is usually pretty good about social issues. So I hesitate to think this is intentional based on that. It is possible that it is intentional, but more than the photographer would have had to intentionally do it.

Of course, one or two people in the approval process could be racists. Who knows? I would like to see how Dove will react to this (hopefully with an apology and removal of the ad) before making any snap judgements about them.

I'm not a very big fan of Dove soap though. It just never feels right! For bar soap I go with Irish Spring. For body wash I go with Old Bay.

The photographer knew exactly what he/she was doing......

If you work in an office you know exactly what I am talking about as far as the sneaky...."I didn't mean anything by it" attitude.

So they can't hide their disdain for your incompetence? :rolleyes:

Well, first of all, this is another example of oversensitivity - you really have to read into the ad to get the complaint.

And, second of all, even if Dove came out with an ad: "Women: lighten your skin to be more attractive" they'd just be telling the truth.

Lighter-skinned women are deemed more attractive by most of the world - no matter what the society may be. Same with blond hair. The concept of "black is beautiful" is, frankly, nonsense. Light skin, delicate features, blond hair - they all make a woman appear healthier and more youthful.

And there's nothing racist about noting this.

Indeed, if you look at men, the situation is reversed. Dark coloring is attractive in a man for precisely the same reasons it's unattractive in women: it makes them look more adult.

Go down to the gym sometime and talk to the bodybuilders. They'll tell you flat out that black men have an advantage in bodybuilding because dark skin makes muscles look better. That's why bodybuilders spend so much time tanning if they don't have naturally dark skin.

Look at stars in the entertainment business. How many 'sexy' black women do you see who have skin darker than 'mocha'? Halle Berry and Beyonce aren't exactly pure black African.

Now think about how many white women you know who swoon over black-as-coal Denzel Washington.

Even in mono-racial societies, 'white is beautiful' for women. Lightening creams are a billion dollar business around the world.

Pretending this reality doesn't exist is itself a perverse form of racism.

What a sad life one must lead when they look for racism in everything, everywhere.

Seriously, the overt racism on this forum is probably a million times more offensive then the ad.

I wonder why I can't say **** on here, but people like Taki are allowed to post...well...anything.