Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evil Yoda

Manchester Day is this Saturday, June 4

20 posts in this topic

It's basically a small-town carnival. Manchester is a very small town, the last town before Hanover Pike (MD-30) crosses the Mason-Dixon line. It's about 13 miles from the point where I-795 ends.

are all welcomed? seriously.

Sure, why wouldn't they be?

are all welcomed? seriously.
Not you Hanoverians. You stay up north! :)

It's basically a small-town carnival. Manchester is a very small town, the last town before Hanover Pike (MD-30) crosses the Mason-Dixon line. It's about 13 miles from the point where I-795 ends.

Now you've gone and done it.....SJ will no doubt end up totally lost in Melrose, rather than Manchester.:P

SJ, all are welcome to come spend their money and turn other's trash into their treasures in Hampstead;). Sorry you missed Hampstead Day this year, which normally falls the weekend before Memorial weekend. Hampstead is the town south of Manchester, so feel free to mark it on your calendar for next year rummaging.

Only requirement, bring your own car....we don't need no stinkin' buses!:D

Now you've gone and done it.....SJ will no doubt end up totally lost in Melrose, rather than Manchester.:P

SJ, all are welcome to come spend their money and turn other's trash into their treasures in Hampstead;). Sorry you missed Hampstead Day this year, which normally falls the weekend before Memorial weekend. Hampstead is the town south of Manchester, so feel free to mark it on your calendar for next year rummaging.

Only requirement, bring your own car....we don't need no stinkin' buses!:D

LOL!!

okay.. so i know i cruise through melrose, manchester, and hampstead on my way to work in woodlawn.. is melrose its own city/town?

whenever i see the sign and the high's store i think, "melrose place".. :D

LOL!!

okay.. so i know i cruise through melrose, manchester, and hampstead on my way to work in woodlawn.. is melrose its own city/town?

whenever i see the sign and the high's store i think, "melrose place".. :D

No, I don't thnk they have enough of a population to win the fight to break free of Manchester:D! S-h-h, don't tell EY you are invading "his" turf on a daily basis. How do you like that Hampstead bypass? Easy-peasey now, and n-o-o-o Utz and Snyder's trucks on Main Street. YAY!:rwb:!

How do you like that Hampstead bypass? Easy-peasey now, and n-o-o-o Utz and Snyder's trucks on Main Street. YAY!:rwb:!

i love it, SAVE FOR THE SPEED DEMONS that try to pass you at the roundabouts.. 50% of the time i take 27 down to 140.. :o

i love it, SAVE FOR THE SPEED DEMONS that try to pass you at the roundabouts.. 50% of the time i take 27 down to 140.. :o

Yep, when you come off of the roundabout to get back on Rte 30, folks act like the right lane has a speed limit that is twice that of the left lane...get a grip, folks:rolleyes:.

The little old folks in Hampstead finally seem to be getting a better hang of the fact that you can not be nice and come to a dead stop before every entrance to the roundabout to let everyone who is supposed to be yielding to you in. I like to be nice too, but not at the expense of having a tractor-trailer sitting in my backseat:eek:.

Yep, when you come off of the roundabout to get back on Rte 30, folks act like the right lane has a speed limit that is twice that of the left lane...get a grip, folks:rolleyes:.

The little old folks in Hampstead finally seem to be getting a better hang of the fact that you can not be nice and come to a dead stop before every entrance to the roundabout to let everyone who is supposed to be yielding to you in. I like to be nice too, but not at the expense of having a tractor-trailer sitting in my backseat:eek:.

i hear you.

before moving to hanover, i actually looked at a couple of houses in manchester.. they were nice.. new homes built in the back of an existing community.. adjacent to a graveyard.. that alone did my wife in. :D

i hear you.

before moving to hanover, i actually looked at a couple of houses in manchester.. they were nice.. new homes built in the back of an existing community.. adjacent to a graveyard.. that alone did my wife in. :D

What's not to love:confused:....quiet neighbors who have their lawn mowed!:D!

I watched a guy at the Manchester end actually turn left into the bypass so he wouldn't have to go 3/4 of the way around. Astonishing.

I am the speed demon that passes you on the outside of the roundabout. Hey, if you want to put-put along at 40... ;)

Manchester has been talking about putting in a bypass as well; my understanding is that it would start near the Wal-Mart/Weis and connect back in somewhere near Lineboro Rd. But it would have to go on the east side of 30, rather than the west side, or else Manchester would have to come up with *a lot* of money to buy all the folks in Manchester Farms out of their homes. And Wal-Mart.

I watched a guy at the Manchester end actually turn left into the bypass so he wouldn't have to go 3/4 of the way around. Astonishing.

I am the speed demon that passes you on the outside of the roundabout. Hey, if you want to put-put along at 40... ;)

Manchester has been talking about putting in a bypass as well; my understanding is that it would start near the Wal-Mart/Weis and connect back in somewhere near Lineboro Rd. But it would have to go on the east side of 30, rather than the west side, or else Manchester would have to come up with *a lot* of money to buy all the folks in Manchester Farms out of their homes. And Wal-Mart.

That's a long story, Manchester, unfortunately, seems to have blown their chance many, many moons ago. When first approached about bypasses, Manchester refused while Hampstead did not. I have to feel there was a lot of Marty Hill influence there, since he was peppering the countryside around Manchester with new building estates. He wouldn't be making beaucoup bucks if that land was taken for a bypass.

It took a very long time to get the bypass in Hampstead. I believe it had been on the agenda for financing from the early '90's. Ehrlich finally approved funding while he was in office. It's just one of the downsides of living in a Republican county in a Democratically controlled state.

That bypass has been a lifesaver, as well you know. I feel for the folks in Manchester, and further north, who are paying for previous authorities greediness and lack of foresight.

when electing to take the bypass, i sometimes cringe at the backed up traffic sitting at charmil road up past manchester valley hs, through manchester, to rte 27.. or in reverse during morning rush hour, the traffic backed up to halle farms up to 27, thru manchester all the way to the first roundabout past the walmart..

:eek:

THAT'S why i put-put down 27 to 140.. :D

Evidently Hampstead told Wal-Mart it could build where it did (and they are now turning it into a Super Wal-Mart, so I am told). Manchester lost its ability to build the bypass on that side when Hampstead made that decision. Technically, that's Greenmount... but Greenmount is unincorporated and I think Hampstead makes a lot of its zoning decisions.

Jazz, Route 30 does get backed up from the bypass to (I assume) Hanover, with commuters returning to PA. And, of course, trucks that have delivered tasty UTZ chips. :)

But 27 ends at Manchester, so you're going to get caught in at least some of that.

Manchester could probably save itself some traffic if it adjusted the traffic lights (especially the one at York St.) so they were rarely red in the Hanover Pike direction. Rte 27 is a fairly major road and some folks use it to return to PA from Westminster and points south of there, which means they couldn't turn that light completely off.

Evidently Hampstead told Wal-Mart it could build where it did (and they are now turning it into a Super Wal-Mart, so I am told). Manchester lost its ability to build the bypass on that side when Hampstead made that decision. Technically, that's Greenmount... but Greenmount is unincorporated and I think Hampstead makes a lot of its zoning decisions.Jazz, Route 30 does get backed up from the bypass to (I assume) Hanover, with commuters returning to PA. And, of course, trucks that have delivered tasty UTZ chips. :)

But 27 ends at Manchester, so you're going to get caught in at least some of that.

Manchester could probably save itself some traffic if it adjusted the traffic lights (especially the one at York St.) so they were rarely red in the Hanover Pike direction. Rte 27 is a fairly major road and some folks use it to return to PA from Westminster and points south of there, which means they couldn't turn that light completely off.

Bypass request was on the books long before WalMart was even thought of in that area. It is sad that the "powers that were" at that time in Manchester couldn't come to grips with what was best for their population as a whole at that time. Hampstead acted a number of years later in the WalMart decision. I remember the big ruckus when WalMart was going to build, and the people pledging to still support the local stores (which I do). Either way, it is sad that Manchester seems to have lost their chance to do something about that backup.

Yeah the Manchester Bypass will never happen, they did lose that chance.

While the Hampstead Bypass is great for commuters, and for making Hampstead much quieter, the businesses there have been suffering.

The good thing about the Hampstead Bypass is that it was designed with past mistakes in mind(referring to the Route 24 bypass in Bel Air). Specifically it won't be hampered by adding traffic lights and development along it.

They'd almost have to take it behind the shopping center on the other side from the Wal-Mart, the one that has a CVS on the corner, and next to the railroad tracks back there. Which would absolutely *thrill* the folks that paid high prices for those golf course homes. Then back through the farmland, behind the town and Thomas' tree farm and hook it back in near Lineboro Rd.

On the other side they'd have to go way out past all the land Bob Ward and his customers own, as well as quite a few farmers, unless they used *a lot* of eminent domain. All those houses are really new. Can you imagine if Manchester paid people *already underwater* far less than they'd paid for their homes? They couldn't do it without a lot of state money, state legal firepower, and killing the town's chances of luring new residents. All to help people who live in Pennsylvania?

I suspect the people who think this is a dead issue are correct.