Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VOSA

Some Lacrosse Questions

23 posts in this topic

1. Is it time for a shot clock in college lacrosse?

2. Exactly what is a "stall warning"? Is there a "stall penalty"? If so, what is it and when was the last time it was imposed?

3. Why don't women lacrosse players wear helmets?

1. Is it time for a shot clock in college lacrosse?

2. Exactly what is a "stall warning"? Is there a "stall penalty"? If so, what is it and when was the last time it was imposed?

3. Why don't women lacrosse players wear helmets?

1. I don't mind the lack of a shot clock, there is nothing worse than watching a 15-20 goal output by a team in a game.

2. A stall warning is when they make you keep the ball inside the box because you are wasting too much time. If you go outside the box, you turnover the ball.

3. There is no helmets in women's lacrosse because the sport would go from the fastest growing sport to dead in the water. Girls want to play sports where they can still look pretty... Soccer, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Softball, Volleyball. No girl that I know would play a sport where they have to wear a helmet all the time.

1. I don't mind the lack of a shot clock, there is nothing worse than watching a 15-20 goal output by a team in a game.

2. A stall warning is when they make you keep the ball inside the box because you are wasting too much time. If you go outside the box, you turnover the ball.

3. There is no helmets in women's lacrosse because the sport would go from the fastest growing sport to dead in the water. Girls want to play sports where they can still look pretty... Soccer, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Softball, Volleyball. No girl that I know would play a sport where they have to wear a helmet all the time.

Kevin, actually the stall warning is where the team with possession does NOT make a reasonable effort to attack the goal (a.k.a run the offense).

And in reference to girl's/women's lacrosse I can't stand that facemask gear they wear and in fact some players have been even more seriously wearing that from being hit in the face from the gear bouncing back on them.

That NorthWestern team didn't have much of an eye to looking pretty, when one looks at those shorts they wore.

4. when will they speed up the game by taking away defense sticks? make all the sticks one meter long, you get a faster game.

5. when will they speed up the game by reducing the number of players? a 5 on 5 game is faster than 6 on 6.

6. when will they speed up the game by making defense play with one less man all the time? 5 on 4 will always be faster

7. when will the speed up the game by taking away the goalie stick? Make all stick heads the same size. that will improve scoring.

4. when will they speed up the game by taking away defense sticks? make all the sticks one meter long, you get a faster game.

5. when will they speed up the game by reducing the number of players? a 5 on 5 game is faster than 6 on 6.

6. when will they speed up the game by making defense play with one less man all the time? 5 on 4 will always be faster

7. when will the speed up the game by taking away the goalie stick? Make all stick heads the same size. that will improve scoring.

8. We give the officials chairs so when a team goes into a stall they'll have a place to sit and watch the "action".

Women don't wear helmets because there is supposedly an invisible bubble that incases their head that no stick can be checked into....It is the height that measures from the neck of the stick to the top of the stick over the head, and as wide as the shoulders around. I know it sounds weird, but it is the rule. It is a violation to use your stick to check into that opposing player's bubble. You can go through it to check away from the bubble.

My 14 year old daughter just started playing this spring. There are about 106 or so pages of rules in the offical rule book. The USA Lacrosse Association opens the book by stating something like "The rules of lacrosse are extremely complex and complicated".

To say the least.

The game here in Fl is sanctioned by the FHSAA (Florida High School Athletic Associations) in some counties/districts, and not in others - yet.

Participation is exploding in numbers, and pressure is being applied to make it an official sport at all schools in the state, but $ will decide that.

The girls game is nothing like the boys game, starting from 7 years old and up.

Rather lame in comparision to the boys games, where all out is the norm.

The girls wear a semi-face mask, and mouthpieces. That's all, but there is almost no contact allowed, either.

I do like seeing my daughter finish the game as pretty as she started.....sweat and dirt excluded, of course.

It is fun to watch, though.

I think you folks are missing the point.

The rules aside, a player in the process of making a shot can not control weather or not another player's head get in the way of her stick.

A player in the process of making a shot or a pass can not control weather or not another player's head get in the way of the ball.

Ever get whacked in the head by a lacrosse stick that was in the process of making a shot?

Ever get whacked in the head by a lacrosse ball that was in the air.

Girls need to wear helmets just like the boys do. And for many of the same reasons.

If fear it is going to require a girl to get seriously injury before those that control girl's lacrosse wise up.

The rules aside, a player in the process of making a shot can not control weather or not another player's head get in the way of her stick.

A player in the process of making a shot or a pass can not control weather or not another player's head get in the way of the ball.

Ever get whacked in the head by a lacrosse stick that was in the process of making a shot?

Girls need to wear helmets just like the boys do. And for many of the same reasons.

If fear it is going to require a girl to get seriously injury before those that control girl's lacrosse wise up.

What does weather have to do with it?:)

But you are right. All sports have a certain element of danger involved. That's what makes it so much fun.

Massachussetts made helmets mandatory a while back and the result was less than favorable. All it seemed to do was encourage rough play. Colleges were becoming reluctant to recruit girls from that area because they were afraid they'd hurt one of their own players. I think the rule has since been rescinded. And numerous studies (take from them what you will) have seemed to demonstrate that incidents on concussions in girls lacrosse is no higher than that of other female sports like soccer. The restraining line has helped some in this regard as well as it limits the amount of players permitted at any one time in the attack area. From my own experiences--and they are by no means conclusive--the danger of injury is higher when you have two inexperienced teams who lack the requisite stick skills. But that holds true for any sport. Otherwise I can't ever recall a player having to leave the game with a head injury.

Personally, I'd worry more about young women's knees than their heads. I can name a number of girls over the years who had their seasons wiped out by severe knee injuries.

What does weather have to do with it?:)

I guess I should write "whether" 100 times on the blackboard.

Do they even have blackboards anymore?

Anything could happen during a game, but certain things are less likely.

First, the design of girl's lacrosse stick (shallow pocket) make it less likely to have shooting motions that will result in hitting someone on the head while shooting at a goal.

Second, as shots get harder, accuracy improves. Wonder why an offensive player just take a shot 10+ yards out? Because, the chance of scoring is low. At higher level, shots are aimed at the empty space, not at the goalie, not at another player.

Part of the problem with the new dangers in women's lacrosse come from volunteer coaches who try to teach the men's game to the girls. That game does require helmets and padding. Before the incredible explosion of the women's game, the rule book was little more than 5 pages of rules and 3 pages of situational Q&A's. I certainly hope we never get to the point where the women stand in a circle around the goal and toss the ball around until the defense stumbles and leaves an open shot. The men's game is pretty boring in comparison to a well played women's game. (ducking out now.....)

I played on the same team with Diane Geppi Aiken in 1980. The rules were clear then, but I have to say that woman and girls need protection now. It is only prudent. There needs to be a standardization on male/female rules, no?

Why do they need protection now? Showing my age, but I played HS and college before mouthguards were required, and coached for 19 years after that at levels from pee wee to college. We only had 2 nose injuries in all that time. The game has certainly changed.

First of all it is "Womens" lacrosse, not "Mens" it is not suppose to be the same game. I coach both and they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

The mens game has gotten slower with all the specialization with long poles and "O" and "D" middies and fogo's. It can be boring at times but yes there is a primal physicality to it that is unmistakable.

The womans game is a more flowing graceful game similar to soccer. Adding helmets will only make the game rougher and detract from its roots.

Your concern about getting hit by shots is valid, however it not not just head shots that can do serious harm in lacrosse. More than one player has been killed over the years by a shot to the chest that stops his heart. Notice I said "his" heart. That is because no woman has died from a lacrosse shot, they have a rule to protect them. It is called a "shooting space violation". That is when an offensive player is within shooting range and a defensive player steps between the shooter and the goal thereby exposing themself to potetial harm. The whistle is blown and a free position (or penalty shot if you will) is given to the offensive player. Girls are trained to get out of the way, boys are trained to get in the way, because of equipment or lack thereof.

Leave the game alone it is fast and beautiful. If you want to make changes, then try to restore the mens game to the fastest game on two feet by getting rid of all the specialization. Make middies play both offense and defense. The game is beginning to resemble the NBA where one player iso's until a double team them dumps the ball off, wow. What about the constant cutting and feeding, back door plays. None exist anymore because of the long poles ability to completely shut down passing lanes.

The men's game in the pre 80's was truely a team game on offense and defense now it has become a star and his sidekicks.

If you want to make changes, then try to restore the mens game to the fastest game on two feet by getting rid of all the specialization.

Or maybe adding a shot clock?

Or maybe adding a shot clock?

The game never needed a shot clock in the old days when it was the fastest game on two feet. The addition of a shot clock doesn't mean there will be more team offense, you will still have the NBA style dodge and dump, just more of it.

Has anyone ever gotten hit with a girls ball? We were playing trash can balls inside in the gym (it was winter) and our best shot ripped one right into my eye.

I was fine.

And I've gotten a million black eyes before.

Totally fine.