Photo
- - - - -

Maryland 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

Going into this season, I thought 2012 was going to be a really tough year for the Terps - but the Terps got so many good performances from non-seniors like Amato, C.Holmes, Cummings, O.Blye, Haus, Snider, K.Cooper, L.Carr, Shakespeare, Jk and Js. Bernhardt(s) that I feel the Terps will be somewhat competitive and could even challenge for the title if enough things clicked.

Attack - The Terps lost 3 starters here in Young, Catalino, and T.Reed. RS-Jr. Owen Blye (33pts) did replace the injured Reed for much of the 2nd half of the season, and expect he will be one of the starting attackmen next spring. One can remember four years ago that Young, Catalino, and Reed were able to start as freshmen, the Terps have two highly touted attack recruits coming in this fall, David Solomon and Kevin Forster, who could quite likely do the same thing in 2012. If this doesn't work out the Terps had 3 good attack recruits last spring who played sparingly as freshmen: McGuirre, Saylor, and Haley who could challenge for playing time, and another top recruit this fall in Jay Carlson. Tillman did seem to avoid playing freshmen this spring, and another option open to him would be moving Joe Cummings back to attack. Lots of talent here but mostly inexperienced. I think the Terps need to find at least one guy who can really threaten opponents defenses - if they find two they could be back in the running for the final four.

Offensive Midfield - Most of the guys are back: Cummings (sr, 32pts), Haus (jr, 28pts), Snider (sr, 20pts), Jk.Bernhardt (Sr,18pts), K.Cooper (jr, 13 pts). There are pretty strong rumors that the Terps will add former Princeton Tiger, Mike Chanenchuk, who scored 36 pts two years ago - although I doubt he will get 100 shots with the Terps as he did with Princeton. Filling things out: the Terps bring in a top recruit in Joe LoCascio, Rustin Bryant(so) has been working on converting to midfield, and Brian Cooper (so) might start moving up. The Terps also have (sr) Joey Fontanesi, who has been waiting his turn and Bob Kercher could return for a rs-senior season.

Defensive Midfield - Landon Carr(jr) moved into a starting role here and did a very nice job. He does especially well in transition, where he scored 7 goals with 1 assist. I could even see him moving to the offense before all is said and done. Mike Shakespeare(sr), also was a regular for the Terps this past spring and did a nice job - I especially like his ability to handle the ball in his stick. David Miller(sr) and Pat Morrison(jr) also saw time here for the Terps. I was fairly impressed with Greg D'Arienzo's (so) ability to clear to ball and look for him to possibly get more time next spring.

LSM - Jesse Bernhardt split time with Brian Farrell this spring and is an outstanding LSM. He had 40gb and 16 caused TOs this spring. Hard to know exactly who his back-up will be. David Miller has carried a long pole and Mike Scheeler(jr) has been earning his dues. I tend to expect it will be one of the freshmen though: Kellen Miller (Landon) is well thought of and supposedly very athletic, Eric Parnon is playing in the Under Armour game and looks like he might start his career as an LSM, and Goran Murray could show up here although I sort of expect to see him at close defense.

Close Defense - The Terps lose their three starters here: B.Schmidt, M.Schmidt, and Bohlander - and nobody else played much - this could be a real problem area. I remember a few years back the Terps were in a similar situation when Zink, Passavia, and Wagner graduated - people were predicting doom - but Cottle brought in the transfer Whittenberg, Megill moved up to a starting role, and a freshman Joe Cinosky joined the group and the close defense played well. In 2012, the Terps have a good upper classmen in Grant Oliver, who has been waiting his turn. Two top sophomores: Casey Ikeda and Mike Ehrhardt; Ikeda has been injured while Ehrhardt has been getting his feet wet in lesser games. The Terps also bring in a top recruit, Goran Murray, who when I read articles on Haverford's games has been taking opponent's top attackmen out of the game. I think from these four, Kevin Warne should have the athleticism and talent to put together a good close defense. For depth, the Terps have two solid former MIAA players in Emmett Cahill and Patrick Rhodey.

Face-offs - Curtis Holmes(jr) returns after a great spring (.629 pct). Dan Noskin (so) returns with a year as his understudy. The Terps bring in a top face-off guy from LI in Charlie Raffa. So the depth behind Holmes should be better.

Goal - Amato(rs-so) returns after a really fine spring. He was named to the All-ACC team. Hopefully, he will get a little more careful with his clears next spring - otherwise he was outstanding. Mark White (rs-sr) could return as his back-up, if not Dom Lamolinara and MJ Leonard return as back-ups. The Terps also add a well thought of recruit from Ohio, Kyle Bernlohr.

There has also been a hint in inside lacrosse that the Gribbin brothers (Georgetown Prep): Billy is a junior attackmen, who had good success with PSU as a freshman (31pts) but played less as a sophomore, and Bobby is a midfield recruit in the UA game, might choose to transfer to UMd.

Final Analsis: The two big question marks for the Terps are the attack and close defense. I tend to think that Warne has the athletes and talent to form a good close defense, it will be inexperienced and make its mistakes but they do have a quality goalie behind them. The attack is more of a questionmark, if the Terps can find a couple guys who really threaten the defense like Young and Catalino did, the Terps could get back to the final four. Otherwise, it might be a season of slowing the game down against top teams, and trying to keep the NCAA tmt streak alive.

Edited by Zack80, 16 September 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#2 texetz

texetz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

After this year, I've got a lot of trust in Tillman to put together another good team.

#3 LFDlaxer

LFDlaxer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

ATTACK - Cummings, Byle and ? (Penn St transfer)MIDFIELD- remains solid with the Princeton Tiger a very nice fit. SSDM - Carr, Shakesspeare & D'Arienzo. LSM - ?? (wide open competiton) CLOSE DEFENSE - Bernhardt (too athletic, best cover guy), OLiver, Erhardt. F/O - Holmes. GOAL - Amato, will need a back-up, heard that Laminora left the program. I am also very confident that Warne will put together a defense, losing Brian Farrell is a weapon that many teams just don't have but he did get exposed on defense. Confident that Tillman has the program heading in the right direction, if some sophomores & freshman step up it will be interesting. Good time to be a TERP fan...

#4 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

It is true that Tillman didn't start any true freshmen last year. Still, he didn't have offensive recruits rated as high as Solomon and Forster. As a fan of a team, if you get highly touted attack recruits like Solomon and Forster, you have to root for them to be successful and live up to their recruit rankings. If there are openings on the attack, that means starting as freshmen. So, I'm hoping the attack will be Blye, Forster and Solomon. I really don't think an attack of Blye, Cummings, and the possible transfer is strong enough to take the Terps where they want to go.

Moving Js.Bernhardt to close defense is an interesting and likely move. I would much rather leave him at LSM though, where he can use his athleticism to get up and down the field, and defensive abilities to harass the top midfielder of the opposing team. I think we would be wasting some of his skills at close defense.

#5 LFDlaxer

LFDlaxer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

I agree with you about the recruits, if one of them is that good, I hope they win it. I saw the PSU kid score 30+ goals as a freshmen, if injury free & dedicated he can play. Competition is good! Am I paranoid for being nervous that Tillman may go to NAVY? The longer it stays open, the stronger the rumors gets and the more denials, the more nervous I get. ..

#6 texetz

texetz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

Tillman to stay, per a recent story on the Sun website. Does he have some connection to Navy? As much as I respect Navy and Navy lacrosse, that seems like a step back from the MD HC position...

#7 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

Lax.com says Gribbin had 23g-8a, 31 pts. Nice. Played less last year as a sophomore. Perhaps a solid #2 or #3 guy, like O.Blye.

Only Tillman knows. One thing I think Tillman should be thinking about is whether he liked playing on Memorial day weekend. I think he has a good chance of being there often with the Terps. Hopefully, winning a title one day. I think the chance of putting enough top players together at Navy, will make it rather rare that he gets there with Navy.

#8 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

GOAL - Amato, will need a back-up, heard that Laminora left the program.

Not the best long term. I guess Lamolinara was stuck behing Amato for 4 years. Assuming Mark White returns for his RS senior year, and MJ Leonard will be a senior, and the Terps have recruit Kyle Bernlohr - so the Terps would be alright next spring with 4 goalies. But it Tillman definitely needs to find a goalie for the 2012 recruiting class as he would be down to just Amato and Bernlohr in the spring of 2013.

#9 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

Looking around the internet:
Kyle Bernlohr was awarded a gold medal at his high school:
http://www.wra.net/c....cfm?newsid=870

and was a 1st team member of the Midwest Scholastic lacrosse Coaches Association All-League Team:
http://mslca.net/msl...eague-team-2011

Not that 7 Terps on the UA teams isn't enough, but it would have been nice to have seen Bernlohr as one of the south goalies, instead of a New Yorker. I doubt that the difference between Bernlohr and Wardwell is much at all (especially with the way NYers hype their players), and it doesn't seem right to have a New Yorker on the south team. Of course, I sort of think Solomon should really be on the Southern team rather than the Northern one, as he is actually a southern player. I know - it doesn't really matter, we mainly go to watch the players - but the north-south battle does seem to be one of the small under plots of the game.
http://www.underarmo...ex.cfm?typeId=1

#10 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

IL reports on the Gribbin brothers transferring to UMd:
http://insidelacross...iac-miaa-update

They also mention that Bobby Gribbin was awarded teh C.Markland Kelly award for the top H.S. player in Md. Congratulations!

#11 LFDlaxer

LFDlaxer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

I am very pleased that in the world we live in today where contracts are NOT honored and everyone looks out for their best interests; Coach Tillman has turned down the very strong pursuit of the Navy Academy! GO TERPS!

#12 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Same here. Didn't exactly seem like the classiest thing in the world for Navy to chase after him. Tillman was 1 year in to a 7 year contract, and had been successful. Navy talks about integrity being important, yet expects Tillman to renounce a 7-year contract to be their coach. :confused:

#13 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

Terp recruit Bobby Gribbin was named Washington Post's Player of the Year:
http://www.washingto.../boys-lacrosse/

Terp recruit Kellen Miller, Landon, was named 1st team All-Met in the Post.

Terp Verbals (juniors), David Goodwin (Calverton, attack) and Charlie Schnider (Landon, midfield) made Honorable mention.

#14 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

Looking around at various honors:
Eric Parnon, Darien, was named a USILA High School All-American for Connecticut and the class M All-state team at defense

Zack Wholley, Southington was named to the class L All-state team at midfield

Joey Kimpler from JSerra was named a USILA High school All-American for Orance County, CA at midfield.

Joey Kimpler is being coached by Max Ritz:
https://jserrablog.w...te-of-the-week/

#15 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

Laxpower has put up their list of Maryland recruits for 2012:
Forsberg, Thomas Huntington NY John Glenn NY Attack
Lord, Bradlee Devon PA Conestoga PA Attack
Lehman, Ryan Garnet Valley PA Garnet Valley PA Defense
Brooke, Tyler Berwyn PA Conestoga PA Attack
Schnider, Charlie Bethesda MD Landon School MD Midfield
Conroy, Patrick Dallastown PA Dallastown PA LSM
Goodwin, David Sunderland MD Calverton School MD Attack
Dunn, Matt Towson MD Loyola Blakefield MD Defense
Fixen, Zack Palos Verdes Estates CA Palos Verdes CA Attack
--Pons, Mac Bel Air MD Boys' LatinMD LSM/Defense - been removed from the list class of 2013
Sipe, Charles Charlottesville VA St. Anne's-Belfield VA Midfield/FO

This might be looked at as Tillman's first true recruiting class, as this fall's class has a lot of recruits that were all ready listed for UMd when Cottle moved on.

5 attackmen. I've heard that Forsberg and Brooke are both lefties, which is a plus as the Terps are a little low on lefties.

Pons and Dunn are on the Baltimore UA underclassmen team.
Forsberg is on the Long Island UA underclassmen team.
Goodwin is on the Washington DC UA underclassmen team

Edited by Zack80, 18 June 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#16 bensmotorcyclehelmet

bensmotorcyclehelmet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

So much for Preston saying Cottle was the man at Rutgers.
Brecht got the job.

#17 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

Zack Fixen from Palos Verdes CA on the 2012 recruit list has a video up:

http://lacrosserecru...uits/Zack_Fixen

He seems to be a midfielder as opposed to an attackman as listed on the recruit list. Seems to have outstanding speed. He will also be visiting Baltimore in a couple of weeks and playing for the West Under Armour Underclassmen team.

-----
Looking at the HS All-American list, it appears that UMd has another recruit in this fall's class: Alex Schell, who was a HS AA in Northern Ohio and the Ohio DI Attackman of the Year.

#18 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

They have the bios up for 6 of the 7 Terps recruits on the UnderArmour team now at:

http://www.underarmo...ex.cfm?typeId=1

#19 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

Terp 2012 recruit, David Goodwin, scores 3 goal in the highlights of the Freestate games on IL:
http://video.insidel...012-top-44-game

Goodwin shows some really nice wheels on his first goal.

Looking at the Maryland All-state team:
http://mslca.org/?page_id=29

Bobby Gribbin (Georgetown Prep) is on the 1st team. (No surprise here as he won the Kelly award as the top player in Maryland also.)
Jay Carlson (St.Paul's) was 2nd team Attack
Kellen Miller (Landon) was 2nd team LSM

2012 recruits David Goodwin (The Calverton School) and Charlie Schnider (Landon) made honorable mention.

#20 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Three Terp 2012 recruits made the Philadelphia UA underclassmen team:
Tyler Brooke (Conestoga)
Bradlee Lord (Conestoga)
Ryan Lehman (Garnet Valley)