Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zack80

Maryland 2012

58 posts in this topic

Maryland had two 2012 recruits on the Warrior 40 - who impressed the Best list:

Tyler Brooke, Jr., Conestoga (Berwyn, Pa.), attack

Brooke showcased a good shot and the ability to get around defenders consistently.

Charlie Schnider, Jr., Landon (Bethesda, Md.), midfield

Schnider had an impressive Accuracy Challenge, scoring 14 points in two rounds, but it was the Maryland commits’ dodge that impressed his peers.

http://rise.espn.go.com/lacrosse/articles/Events/Warrior-40-2011/who-impressed-the-best-at-warrior-40.aspx?pursuit=Lacrosse

Congratulations to future Terp, Charlie Raffa, on making the U-19 team. Nice to see another player in UMd's incoming freshmen class acquire an honor. 7 UA AAs and Raffa on the U-19 team, makes 8.

On the otherhand, UMd usually gets a few players on the U-19 team, so it seemed a little bit of a downer not to have a couple more. Of course, 4 of UMd's UA AAs didn't try out for the U-19 team, and making the U-19 team involves having a hot weekend in front of the coaches. For example, Joe Walters didn't make it 8 years ago.

------

Terp Verbal commit, Mac Pons, won the defensive MVP of the Rise top 40 game, and has an interview up on Inside lacrosse:

http://video.insidelacrosse.com/video/view/100945151/defensive-mvp---mac-pons

Congratulations to future Terp, Charlie Raffa, on making the U-19 team. Nice to see another player in UMd's incoming freshmen class acquire an honor. 7 UA AAs and Raffa on the U-19 team, makes 8.

On the otherhand, UMd usually gets a few players on the U-19 team, so it seemed a little bit of a downer not to have a couple more. Of course, 4 of UMd's UA AAs didn't try out for the U-19 team, and making the U-19 team involves having a hot weekend in front of the coaches. For example, Joe Walters didn't make it 8 years ago.

------

Terp Verbal commit, Mac Pons, won the defensive MVP of the Rise top 40 game, and has an interview up on Inside lacrosse:

http://video.insidelacrosse.com/video/view/100945151/defensive-mvp---mac-pons

I was also very surprised/disappointed - Where they too old or not invited?

I don't know. Someone on Laxpower forum is posting that Goran Murray (along with teammate Walrath) were to old.

Baldo on laxpower mentions:

"Kids need to be nominated locally before they can send in an application. The tryout roster is determined by a USL committee from those nominees"

Age limit

"The upper age limit is that all players must be under 19 as at 31st August of the year before the Championships take place."

A number of future Terps make the Rise/ESPN High School All-American team:

http://rise.espn.go.com/lacrosse/articles/Honors/ESPN-RISE-All-Americans/12-espn-rise-all-america-boys-first-team.aspx?pursuit=Lacrosse

1st team Terps:

Midfield: Bobby Gribbin, Sr., Georgetown Prep (North Bethesda, Md.)

Gribbin was named Washington Post Player of the Year. The Little Hoya won 78 percent of his face offs, add to that, 40 goals and nine assists this season. Gribbin has a great game and should be a star at the next level. Gribbin is verbally committed to Maryland.

LSM: Goran Murray, Sr., Haverford School (Haverford, Pa.)

Murray is one of toughest and quickest players coming out of high school this season. He plays with intensity and is always eager to get the ball. Murray was named All-EPSLA and All-Delco for the second year in a row. He is verbally committed to Maryland.

LSM: Kellen Miller, Sr., Landon (Bethesda, Md.)

Miller was named Washington Post First team All-Metro. He helped lead the Bears all season long after nursing a knee injury during the preseason. Miller led a Landon defense that allowed fewer than five goals per game. Miller is verbally committed to Maryland.

2nd Team Terp:

Attack: Kevin Forster, Sr., La Salle College (Wyndmoor, Pa.), Maryland

HM Terps:

Zach Fixen, Jr., Palos Verdes (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif ), attack Maryland

David Solomon, Sr., Salisbury (Salisbury, Conn.), attack, Maryland

Eric Parnon, Sr., Darien (Darien, Conn.), defense, Maryland

Jay Carlson, Sr., St. Paul’s (Baltimore, Md.), attack, Maryland

Joe Locascio, Sr., St. Anthony’s, (South Huntington, N.Y.), midfield, Maryland

Tyler Brooke, Jr., Conestoga (Berwyn, Pa.), attack, Maryland

Ryan Lehman, Jr., Garnet Valley (Glen Mills, Pa.), defense, Maryland

Gribbin and Holmes should be a dominating faceoff duo

Yeah.

And the Terps have Charlie Raffa coming in from LI.

Of course, if Gribbin wins a FO going towards the offensive end, things could get very interesting. :)

I keep hoping to see a solid goalie added to the recruiting class of 2012, with Lamolinara supposedly not returning, and Leonard and White in their last season this coming spring - it leaves the Terps with just Amato and Bernlohr for the 2013 season.

That would still give the Terps 3 goalies for next spring: Amato, Bernlohr and Leonard - which should get the Terps by, one hopes.

-------------------------------------------------------

Inside Lacrosse lists a 2013 recruit for the Terps:

Connor Cannizzaro, A, Cazenovia (N.Y.) has committed to Maryland. A big-time scorer in upstate N.Y., Cannizzaro registered 83 goals and 36 assists for the state champion Lakers this year. Played at Under Armour and Blue Chip, among others. Also a touted ice hockey player. Check back for more on Connor's decision in the coming week or so.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/08/02/recruiting-roundup-princeton-unc-notre-dame-duke-jhu-maryland-loyola-2012s

Cazenovia NY is in Section 3, which is going into Syracuse's lair - but Syracuse has been grabbing up a few MIAA players, so I guess it is only evening up the score.

Over on, IL's forum, they have UMd with 2 other 2013 recruits:

Mac Pons, D, Boys' Latin (who has been mention in previous posts)

John Belz, M, Calvert Hall

Rise/ESPN has the Terps listed for a goalie in 2013

Daniel Morris, Dallas Jesuit.

IL now has UMd up to 6 2013 recruits:

Maryland

Mac Pons, D, Boys’ Latin (Md.)

John Belz, M, Calvert Hall (Md.)

Jake Clise, A, Loyola Blakefield (Md.)

Tommy Hollenback, M, Calvert Hall (Md.)

Connor Cannizzaro, A, Cazenovia (N.Y.)

Dan Morris, G, Dallas Jesuit (Tex.)

Pons, Hollenback, Cannizzaro, and Morris played on UA underclassmen teams.

Morris has a nice write up on the South squad:

Plays for Coach Chris Surran. Dallas Morning News All-Area Lacrosse Team, 2011 Dallas Jesuit Team Co-MVP, 2011 THSLL North District, DI All State 2011 Dallas Jesuit. Team Captain 2011. THSLL North District DI All District Honorable Mention 2010, Dallas Jesuit Rookie of the Year 2010, T99 All Star Team 2010. Member of recreational high school basketball team. Volunteer coach for youth lacrosse clinics. Enjoys playing drums and snow skiing. Committed to the University of Maryland.

http://www.underarmourlacrosse.com/pub/All-Star/Daniel-Morris

Clise, Hollenback, and Pons are 2013 Baltimore Crabs:

From IL:

Jake Clise, A, Loyola Blakefield (Md.) has committed to Maryland. A strong finisher inside, Clise will make the switch to Loyola this year from Queen Anne's on the Eastern Shore. This season, he earned 1st Team All-Bayside honors and played exclusively in Crabs events this summer. Clise is reportedly a promising quarterback in football as well. He also considered Virginia, North Carolina and Duke.

Tommy Hollenback, M, Calvert Hall (Md.) has committed to Maryland. A horse in between the lines, Hollenback started at d-middie for the Cardinals in 2011 but will be a capable offensive threat in the coming years. This summer, he played at Jake Reed's Blue Chip and for Baltimore at the Under Armour tournament, as well as the events with Crabs. Also a strong LB in football, he also considered Hopkins, North Carolina, Virginia and Duke.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/07/22/recruiting-roundup-baltimore-crabs-virginia-syracuse-loyola

Mac Pons, LSM/D, Boys' Latin (Md.) has committed to Maryland. The sophomore made the Lakers' varsity as a freshman, starting and excelling at close defense for the final few weeks of the season. Probably more of a LSM in college because of his size, but looks to be one of the most impressive longpoles in his class. Has outstanding footwork and stick skills. Also considered Penn State and North Carolina, among others.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/12/03/recruiting-roundup-uva-fairfield-maryland-duke-bucknell

Pons was part of the ESPN/Rise Warrior top 40 event.

John Belz got his mention in IL back in February:

John Belz, M, Calvert Hall (Md.) has verbally committed to Maryland. Belz, boasting notable athleticism and an outstanding shot, was a member of the Cardinals' varsity as a freshman. He will likely see increased minutes in 2011 due to graduation losses for one of the MIAA's preseason favorites. Plays for Trilogy during the summer and also considered North Carolina and Johns Hopkins. Belz is the second known sophomore commit for the Terrapins.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/02/03/recruiting-roundup-bucknell-brown-drexel-loyola-2013s-more

The Terps' have the #1 freshmen class according to I.L.

The Terps have 10 players in IL top 100:

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/08/22/inside-lacrosse-september-issue-2011-mens-power-100-freshmen-rankings

6. David Solomon, Attack, Salisbury School (Conn.), Maryland

11. Bobby Gribbin, Midfield, Georgetown Prep (Md.), Maryland

16. Kevin Forster, Attack, LaSalle (Pa.), Maryland

27. Goran Murray, Defense/LSM, Haverford School (Pa.), Maryland

30. Jay Carlson, Attack, St. Paul's (Md.), Maryland

31. Joe LoCascio, Midfield, St. Anthony's (N.Y.), Maryland

39. Eric Parnon, Defense, Darien (Conn.), Maryland

58. John Barney, Midfield, Delbarton School (N.J.), Maryland

67. Kyle Bernlohr, Goal, Western Reserve (Ohio), Maryland

78. Charlie Raffa, Midfield, St. Anthony's (N.Y.), Maryland

I think that Kellen Miller (Landon) should probably be in the top 100, but IL does their best.

Nice interview with Terp freshmen David Solomon on Inside Lacrosse:

http://video.insidelacrosse.com/video/view/107220781/6-recruit---david-solomon

I expect Solomon will win a starting role on UMd's attack, whether it will be as a feeder or right-hand finisher is hard to know. Of course, there will be a lot of competition for the 3 spots opened up by the graduation of Young, Catalino and Reed. Owen Blye, who started the second half of the year when Reed was injured, will probably take 1 spot.

Today, we get an interview with Terp freshman, Kevin Forster on I.L.:

http://video.insidelacrosse.com/video/view/107972931/16-recruit---kevin-forster

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin Forster grabbing one of those starting attack roles for the Terps next spring. Of course, the sophomores: Quinn Haley, Brendan Saylor, and Sean McGuire, do have a year's experience on Forster and Solomon.

zack - you dont mention Bryant. lefty, rabit quick, can shoot, feed and dodge.

Rustin Bryant seemed to be playing on the 3rd midfield last year, so much like Joe Cummings I tend to put him amongst the midfield depth. Although either Cummings or Bryant could make the switch back to attack.

Of course. RS-Jr Owen Blye and transfer Jr Billy Gribbin are two other major contenders on the attack scene.

Even though, there are no obvious 1st or 2nd midfield line openings with the addition of transfer Chanenchuk this spring (barring injury or Cummings moving to attack.) I tend to think staying at the midfield is probably a wise move for Bryant, as he seems to have the skills to do well there. Further, as Bryant moves into his junior year, regular midfielders Cummings, Snider, and JK. Bernhardt will have graduated, and then as Bryant moves into his senior year: Haus, K.Cooper and perhaps Chanenchuk will have graduated. Thus things look like they will be opening up on the midfield as Bryant moves toward being an upperclassmen, and Bryant would have the experience edge.

Meanwhile, at attack the competitition looks deep : Juniors Blye and Gribbin (2 more years to play), the 3 sophomores, 3 highly touted freshmen, 4 attack recruits for next year (Lord, Brooke, Forsberg, and Goodwin) - and apparently a top 10 guy Cannizzaro 2 years after that.

Laxpower is indicating that UMd is playing in a scrimmage with Rutgers and UMass on Oct 15 in New Brunswick. NJ.

Looks a little too far away for me to be driving to. Ah well, guess I'll have to wait till spring.

Won't make a difference for you but I heard it was October 16th. Starting to get excited about fall ball, when can I expect an updated position by position breakdown & analysisi?

Won't make a difference for you but I heard it was October 16th. Starting to get excited about fall ball, when can I expect an updated position by position breakdown & analysis?

Yeah, 200 miles seems a little much for me to drive for a scrimmage.

Since you are the one likely to be going to the fall ball game(s), maybe I am the one, who should be asking when should I be expecting an updated position by position analysis.

For me, doing it is looking like February.

Ha Ha! I will be at fallball at Rutgers; however my "analysis" will not get you through the winter. I will say this, last year was special and for those who think the Terps are "rebuilding", think again. Not promising anything other than a solid effort, love the coaching staff and the players are not too shabby...

I feel moderately positive about the upcoming season.

That being said, the Terps main competitors in the ACC: Duke, UVa, and UNC; along with Hopkins will probably be ranked in almost everyone's top 5. I haven't seen the schedule but if it's like last year the rest of the schedule might not give the Terps the quality wins to make the NCAAs - and a young team can slip up against a solid team (even last year's team came up short against Colgate).

Midfield, goalie, face-offs look very good. But the close defense and attack are starting new guys and are questionmarks. Terps have good players to fill in on these units, so they should be at least solid. In the end, I tend to feel the Terps need one guy on each unit to step forward a bit farther, if they are going to compete with the top teams. A defenseman who can somewhat shutdown top attackmen like Steele, McBride, and Wolf, and an attackman who can really threaten the opponent's defense - make big plays.

They moved the UMd scrimmage at Rutgers to Oct 16 on laxpower, as you said LFDLaxer:

Oct. 16 10:00 am Rutgers vs. Massachusetts Rutgers Fall Ball - New Brunswick, NJ

2:00 pm Rutgers vs. Maryland

One would think UMd and UMass would play also.

As expected they have added the other game:

Oct. 16 10:00 am Rutgers vs. Massachusetts Rutgers Fall Ball - New Brunswick, NJ

12:00 pm Maryland vs. Massachusetts

2:00 pm Rutgers vs. Maryland

Have you heard anything about an alumni game, LFDLaxer?