Photo
- - - - -

Steele, the next Lax Star?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 KLynch

KLynch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

I'd say there have been a few players over the last 20 years that have really been stars or marketed into stars in Lacrosse and slightly outside of the Lacrosse World. Gary Gait, Mikey Powell, Kyle Harrison, and Paul Rabil has really become popular in his pro career.

Is Steele Stanwick the next one? I saw three different "Steele is a Heartthrob" type signs in the stadium on Monday, and he was probably the MVP of the Tournament. He is the best player for my money in the game right now, is he one of the next key figures to taking and marketing lax to the next level? I for one think that clothing company in Locust Point will be calling him 12 months from now with a pretty decent contract.
www.SportsMaryland.com

MetroSports Weekly (Maryland's High School Sports Show) on SportsMaryland.com

#2 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

What next level? Lax will not have a next level until they start selling out the current levels. How can traditional Lax powers like Hopkins etc. not sell out their home games-- even home playoff games and believe that there is a next level.

Just let me know-- is there any college game that you can not get a walk up ticket to?

#3 Zack80

Zack80

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

Just let me know-- is there any college game that you can not get a walk up ticket to?

I hope not. The tickets to regular season games are still fairly cheap too ($10 at UMd). That's what I luv about being a college lacrosse fan!

#4 KLynch

KLynch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

I didn't mean next level, like making the MLL more popular, which it totally needs, but taking the sport to the next level. IE seeing guys on national commercials, national magazine ads, more TV coverage, more filled stadiums and more leagues.

Believe it or not the NLL (Indoor League) does decently well. Those guys can't live off the money they make, but for some of them it creates some really nice extra revenue. Outside of MLB, NFL, NHL, MLB, and MLS, there aren't many sports leagues that do very well, and the NLL has survived for quite a while.
www.SportsMaryland.com

MetroSports Weekly (Maryland's High School Sports Show) on SportsMaryland.com

#5 announcerguydrew

announcerguydrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

I didn't mean next level, like making the MLL more popular, which it totally needs, but taking the sport to the next level. IE seeing guys on national commercials, national magazine ads, more TV coverage, more filled stadiums and more leagues.

Believe it or not the NLL (Indoor League) does decently well. Those guys can't live off the money they make, but for some of them it creates some really nice extra revenue. Outside of MLB, NFL, NHL, MLB, and MLS, there aren't many sports leagues that do very well, and the NLL has survived for quite a while.

That's because the NLL has a "money ceiling/hard cap". Those guys only make like 30-50K per season max.

Baltimore already had an indoor team and for whatever reason the owners pulled the team out of this market completely and out to Denver.

Yes, guys like Steele Stanwick can take the game to the next level.

Look at what Quint Kessenich has done for the game as he's basically the Mel Kiper of Lacrosse.