Photo
- - - - -

Lexington Market scared the Hell out my grandaughter!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ravensroost

Ravensroost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,935 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

I have taken my 9 year old grandaughter to many places in the city. She really enjoys the trips, especially our visits to the Markets. She's slurped oysters with the best of 'em in Cross Street Market. We have a friend who has a stall in Hollins Market and he treats her like a royal princess, so she loves going there too.

About a month ago she expressed an interest in visiting the World Famous Lexington Market. I told her it was a really neat place where you could buy pretty much anything you ever wanted to eat, but warned her that the crowds could be a bit intimidating. So yesterday we gave it a try.

She was fascinated with all the produce and meats, chicken feet and hog mawls, candies and cookies, and especially all them dead fishies with their heads still on and their eyes wide open staring back at her. :D

But she squeezed my hand and gripped my arm like she had the fear of death itself lol. All them peoples in there was just a little too much for her i think, although she still managed to smile and talk to people politely. When we went outside there were men in dresses, women in big hats and folks a witnessin' the second coming on the street corner. The crowd was alive and vibrant and not all were completely friendly. I told her that this was just life in the city. I told her not to be afraid, and tried to explain to her how to "Act like you know". ;)

I also told her that everything would change in 3 blocks of walking. :) We made it to Charles Center and she relaxed sitting on the bench next to Mayor Tommy D'Alessandro and the fountain there. When we walked up Charles Street she recognized the Monument, the Walters, the Peabody and the Basilica, all of which she had previously visited. We peeked through the door of St Vincent De Pauls and she read me the Desideratta. We talked to Mr. Ron, the Doorman of the Tremont Hotel. He told her not to worry about those people at the market. That most were just on their way home from work, but still it was a good idea to watch out all the time. Then he took us inside and showed us the most beautiful Ladies room in the United States lol, marble inlaid with gold - floors, walls and ceilings. My grandaughter just said wow! After that we stopped in the lobby of the Monaco Hotel, former offices of the B&O with it's marble stairways and gorgeous chandeliers. Then we visited the Morris Mechanic Theatre, sat in wing chairs in the Raddison playing peek-a-boo, and checked out the broadway shows coming to the Hippodrome.

As we got back to the car I noticed she was still watchfull, but wasn't squeezing my hand quite so tightly. :cool:
Visit your heroes at the Sports Legends museum :cool:
Preserve Baltimore's sports legacy - before it fades away!

http://www.baberuthm...xhibits/slmacy/

#2 AttackPlanR

AttackPlanR

Liberal? Yes. Democrat? Hell no!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,597 posts
  • Location5,600ft above sea level

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

And that is what makes Lexinton Market, and life in general, exciting.

If one does not have those kinds of experiences than they are living a dull life. I think that it is cool that you took her there and she experienced what she did. I'm sure the people are a different lot than what she's used to, and she's a better person for having experienced it. Much better than if you had taken her to a food court at some suburban mall.

May the road always rise to meet you, but not with the massive force of a 50 pound car bomb.
Old Northern Ireland Proverb, The Onion.

It's finally time for real auto racing!!

#3 Ravensroost

Ravensroost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,935 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

And that is what makes Lexinton Market, and life in general, exciting.

If one does not have those kinds of experiences than they are living a dull life. I think that it is cool that you took her there and she experienced what she did. I'm sure the people are a different lot than what she's used to, and she's a better person for having experienced it. Much better than if you had taken her to a food court at some suburban mall.

I grew up loving places like the Market. Not just for the place itself but also for the interaction with the people of the City. What a bunch of characters. :D I will not deprive my grandaughter of that eperience just because the neighborhood has changed. I'm a believer that all people have value (somewhere), you just have to be a little more wary nowadays as to which people you believe. ;) You also have to know when it's time to GTHO of Dodge. :eek:

#4 mgofbmore

mgofbmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

I have taken my 9 year old grandaughter to many places in the city. She really enjoys the trips, especially our visits to the Markets. She's slurped oysters with the best of 'em in Cross Street Market. We have a friend who has a stall in Hollins Market and he treats her like a royal princess, so she loves going there too.

About a month ago she expressed an interest in visiting the World Famous Lexington Market. I told her it was a really neat place where you could buy pretty much anything you ever wanted to eat, but warned her that the crowds could be a bit intimidating. So yesterday we gave it a try.

She was fascinated with all the produce and meats, chicken feet and hog mawls, candies and cookies, and especially all them dead fishies with their heads still on and their eyes wide open staring back at her. :D

But she squeezed my hand and gripped my arm like she had the fear of death itself lol. All them peoples in there was just a little too much for her i think, although she still managed to smile and talk to people politely. When we went outside there were men in dresses, women in big hats and folks a witnessin' the second coming on the street corner. The crowd was alive and vibrant and not all were completely friendly. I told her that this was just life in the city. I told her not to be afraid, and tried to explain to her how to "Act like you know". ;)

I also told her that everything would change in 3 blocks of walking. :) We made it to Charles Center and she relaxed sitting on the bench next to Mayor Tommy D'Alessandro and the fountain there. When we walked up Charles Street she recognized the Monument, the Walters, the Peabody and the Basilica, all of which she had previously visited. We peeked through the door of St Vincent De Pauls and she read me the Desideratta. We talked to Mr. Ron, the Doorman of the Tremont Hotel. He told her not to worry about those people at the market. That most were just on their way home from work, but still it was a good idea to watch out all the time. Then he took us inside and showed us the most beautiful Ladies room in the United States lol, marble inlaid with gold - floors, walls and ceilings. My grandaughter just said wow! After that we stopped in the lobby of the Monaco Hotel, former offices of the B&O with it's marble stairways and gorgeous chandeliers. Then we visited the Morris Mechanic Theatre, sat in wing chairs in the Raddison playing peek-a-boo, and checked out the broadway shows coming to the Hippodrome.

As we got back to the car I noticed she was still watchfull, but wasn't squeezing my hand quite so tightly. :cool:

I am so glad I read this. I am going to go there and get some hog mawls and chittlins today. BTW my 7 year old loves Lexington Market. I just found out she like fried gizzards
Playing The Blame Game Never Solves A Thing.

#5 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,974 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

Its def good people watching :)
I'm a Legend in Japan

#6 Ravensroost

Ravensroost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,935 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

I am so glad I read this. I am going to go there and get some hog mawls and chittlins today. BTW my 7 year old loves Lexington Market. I just found out she like fried gizzards

That's funny. She pointed them out to me when she saw them cause she knows I like that stuff. She'll try most everything. Haven't gotten her to try hog mawl yet tho.

Originally posted by TheIcon
Its def good people watching :)

Most def lol! That's one of the coolest things about the Market.
The exchanges between vendors and their customers can be funnier 'n hell. Talk to some of them ladies in there and you can get some great recipe ideas an find out just what to do with some of the wilder food items :D. If you're respectful and express an interest, you can hear some great stories from the City's cast of characters. :)

#7 segram99

segram99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

Yum, fried gizzards...

I haven't be to LM in years because I only get to the city once in a blue moon...

I remember when KFC used to sell gizzards years ago. Sorry they took them off the menu.
Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean.

Christopher Reeve (1952-2004)

#8 strez

strez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

You're a wonderful grandparent, Ravensroost. Very nice story, great adventure.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

#9 vjlax18

vjlax18

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

Used to go there every Friday and the first of the month for lunch when I worked downtown. It was great people watching and I loved ordering a friend chicken with fried rice... it was half a chicken...

The best was watching the vendors take orders from people who would fall asleep standing up and then the vendors would move onto the next person. The people that feel asleep never fell over and then would wake up and pick up the conversation as is they never fell asleep. The best part was that the vendors would do the same with the sleepers...

#10 yaknowmay

yaknowmay

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

...DA REAL STORY....TRANSLATED: :eek:....i got stuck watching LIL NAYE after her mommy never came home from clubbing. SO shucks,...it was getting late and i was getting hungry. THATS when i remembered that NAYES mommy left me her INDEPENCE CARD :)..... i got my coat and told NAYE lets go we going to LEXINGTON MARKET.....OH MY GOODNESS,..junkies walking around like the zombies in MICHAEL JACKSONS THRILLER !! :D....lil naye was mad nervous, plus the card got declined :eek:....so we got out of their, quick, fast in a hurry. AND headed back to the crib where LIL NAYE could chill.

#11 bluecrab420

bluecrab420

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

I have no idea why anyone from Baltimore County would go near the Lexington Market or surrounding areas!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,633 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

I go to get slab bacon, among other things. My 7 yr old loves it too. He was a bit intimidated the first time we went, but he's a LM vet now :)
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 daravenator

daravenator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Make sure the hog maw is cleaned its a tough job scrapping that stomach lining

#14 PaintLady

PaintLady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,306 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

shoot...i'm a grown woman...and...lexington market scares the he!! outta me! :D

but...there is a stand there that sells the BEST fried chicken gizzards in the world! YUM
What happens when we're dead? The irony is that all our questions will be answered after we die. We spend our whole life trying to figure out the truth and the only way we'll find out what it is, is to get hit by a bus. And the only comfort for Christians is that God is driving that bus. - John Ryman

#15 yaknowmay

yaknowmay

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

Lexington market is to junkies....what......strip clubs is to strippers.

#16 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:44 AM

i worked on clay street when i was 16 ...lexington market was my place to go for lunch ...

i remember going there as a little girl too ...

#17 AttackPlanR

AttackPlanR

Liberal? Yes. Democrat? Hell no!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,597 posts
  • Location5,600ft above sea level

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

I have no idea why anyone from Baltimore County would go near the Lexington Market or surrounding areas!

Live a little!!! Get thee to Faidley's for lunch and check out the scene.

May the road always rise to meet you, but not with the massive force of a 50 pound car bomb.
Old Northern Ireland Proverb, The Onion.

It's finally time for real auto racing!!

#18 Syn

Syn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

When I was a very little girl, my dad would load me and my sister and my grandparents up in the car and drive to Howard Street at Christmas time.  We would go shopping in Hutzlers and Hoschild Cohn's and stop at Lexington Market for a turkey or ham.

#19 musicmd

musicmd

Red Tail Squadron preserve and share the history

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,800 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Lexington market is to junkies....what......strip clubs is to strippers.

You have issues!

" An educated person is not necessarily a person with an abundance of
general or specialized knowledge.

An educated person is a person who has so developed the faculties of their mind, that they can devleop anything or acquire anything that they want, or its equivalent, without
violating the rights of others"

#20 tsmonk

tsmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

My wife does not like to go to Lexington Market. She says the people who hang outside are “threatening”, and she is Black. I have been going there since I was a teenager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users