Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mgofbmore

Real Pizza

83 posts in this topic

Seriously... someone from New Jersey... explain to me what the difference is? I've heard a million times... oh, you can't get pizza like we have in New Jersey ANYWHERE else. Fair enough. I've tried it there many times... and there really isn't a jaw-dropping difference to me anywhere. Some are good, some are bad. What is my pizza palette not picking up on???

The whole NY/NJ pizza thing is a load of crap. Like so many things about NY, their pizza is overrated.

better yet drive to Connecticut and give her some white clam pizza from Pepe's

I grew up about 15 minutes from Pepe's. Dang, my mouth is watering just thinking about one of their pies...

White Clam? That sounds nastier that Pappa John's new crab pizza. I am not sure if seafood belongs on a pizza (anchovies included):eek:

Papa John's has a crab pizza?

I've had crab on pizza before - although I can't remember the name of the place now. If done right, it can be really good. Not sure if I'd trust Papa Johns to pull that off, but I might have to try one just out of curiosity.

A little place called McShane's in Belcamp had "crab dip pizza" on their menu for a while. Crab dip with a little shredded cheese on a pizza crust... it was pretty good. Of course, I think they removed it from their offerings... probably because it was pretty good. :)

There's no substitute for Matthew's. :)

There really isn't:)

I am sorry to hear some people got terrible service there. We have waiting a long time before, but perfection takes time!:D

Seriously... someone from New Jersey... explain to me what the difference is? I've heard a million times... oh, you can't get pizza like we have in New Jersey ANYWHERE else.

It's the sewer water that they make the dough with.

Bertucci's Margherita neapolitan pizza is pretty good. For a standard pie in this area, it's Gil's for me.

But nothing beats a great pie from NYC. I don't know the place, but it was around La Guardia and they made 20" pies that were absolutely stunning.

some of the worst pizza i've ever had,was yesterday dominicks in perryhall. chuckee cheese is better!!

And some of the best pizza I've had was at the Dominick's in Parkville. Go figure.

Zio's rocks! :)

Finally, someone who ventured beyond the cardboard-covered-with-ketchup Baltimore area pizza shops, and has discovered what the best actually taste like.

:D

What makes the pizza at Mac's in Wildwood so special? What set the Laguardia area pizza apart from everything else? Sauce? Cheese? Toppings? Alcohol?

First off, you have to love thin crust pizza. The crust was so thin on that pie you certainly needed two hands and had to fold it, yet it was just slightly crisp on the bottom and nice and crispy on the edge. The sauce was superb, as was the cheese and spices. They say the NY water makes the crust special. I believe 'em.

This is going to sound heretical to some but there is no such thing as "real pizza". Pizza has many forms and flavors. It would not be fair to single one out over another as the "true" pizza.

If you like thin crust, this is basically "Neopolitan style": Iggies, Joe-squared

If you like thick crust: Mathews.

If you like everything in-between: A huge number of neighborhood places.

Finally, really good neighborhood pizza guys CAN actually accommodate your desires to the letter if you simply tell them what you want out of your pizza.

This is going to sound heretical to some but there is no such thing as "real pizza". Pizza has many forms and flavors. It would not be fair to single one out over another as the "true" pizza.

If you like thin crust, this is basically "Neopolitan style": Iggies, Joe-squared

If you like thick crust: Mathews.

If you like everything in-between: A huge number of neighborhood places.

Finally, really good neighborhood pizza guys CAN actually accommodate your desires to the letter if you simply tell them what you want out of your pizza.

True but any long time local establishment is probably closer to real pizza than the big chains such as Dominos, Pizza Hut, or Papa Johns

White Clam? That sounds nastier that Pappa John's new crab pizza. I am not sure if seafood belongs on a pizza (anchovies included):eek:

Bertuccis used to make a shrimp scampi pizza that was to die for. Shrimp, garlic lemon cream sauce, diced tomatoes, with fresh parsley and olive oil on top. Served with lemon wedges. Delicious. They now have the Shrimp Bella Venezia which is halfway decent, but not as good as the old scampi.

And their clam pizzas were best sellers. They used to have a red and a white.