Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlaFrank

Lorenzo Stomp

10 posts in this topic

Any oldtimers remember the Lorenzo Stomp? Boots Randolph's Yakety Sax......Read where Boots passed away today...Whatever happened to Lorenzo?? Wasn't his name Gerry Weaver? or something like that??

They played it between innings at the O's game the other day. I think it was during the catsup, relish, mustard race. :rolleyes: That tune always brings back memories of when I was kid watching Lorenzo.

I was on the Lorenzo and Bob McCalister shows as a kid.

As was I.

Did Bob give you a Tootsie Pop?

I remember him carrying a big box full of them with all the sticks pointing straight up out of the top of the box.

Yakety Sax was covered by Chet Atkins, and Mark Knopfler, and renamed Yakety Axe.

Yakety Sax was covered by Chet Atkins, and Mark Knopfler, and renamed Yakety Axe.

Here's a good bit of trivia:

Why is it called an axe?

Here's a good bit of trivia:

Why is it called an axe?

Axe is another name for guitar. Which I may say, Chet Atkins played very well.

It's old jazz lingo.

Practicing one's instrument would sometimes grate on Ma & Pa's delicate ears. The budding musician would be banished to the woodshed .

He would take his axe out there to practice his wood chopping technique. Keeping his chops up, as it were.

I was on the Lorenzo and Bob McCalister shows as a kid.

My sister was on Bob McAllister. I had to go to school. Last year I emailed WJZ to see if it was possible to get a copy of the tape. Unfortunately, they said they don't keep tapes from that long ago.