Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Han Solo

Neighborhoods that used to be nice to live in.

65 posts in this topic

Randallstown

Owings Mills

Pikesville (getting worse every week)

To name a few.

What a shame.

IS IT any coincidence that all of the neighborhoods that are and will be named here are all on the bus lines, and accept section 8 :eek:....CRIME, NEIGHBORHOOD DECLINE, bus lines, and section 8 all seem to go hand, and hand....if you want to escape "THE PLANET OF THE 8,s" .....move off of the MTA BUS LINE, and do your research on section 8 homes and apartments in the area.....it worked for my family, and it could work for yours......and im BLACK :eek:.....so dont even go there....literally. ;)

I lived in Govans. Used to sail sailboats in the wading pool at Dewees Rec center and have Gala Day at the elementary school. Used to have a great pit ham sandwich at the Stadium lounge on 33rd and Greenmount on the way to Colts games. My brother still lives in Govans. It ain't so bad on his street but York Road south of Belvedere is pretty ugly.

My Grandmother lived in Hamilton. Loved going to the Arcade to see a movie, now long since closed. Used to have local bands play summer concerts at Herring Run park. Still have friends in Hamilton. Parts of it are still okay.

Randallstown

Owings Mills

Pikesville (getting worse every week)

To name a few.

What a shame.

Do tell Han, what changed about them that they are not nice anymore?

Do tell Han, what changed about them that they are not nice anymore?

If you grew up in Randallstown in the 60's, and 70's like I did you know what was there then that is not there now.

I could ride my bicycle to school, leave it in the bike rack outside the school...UNLOCKED... and never give a thought as to whether it would be there when school let out. Try that today! Same with going to the store, or even the movies. I rode the same bicycle for 8 frome age 8 to 16 years and never owned a bike lock for it.

If you grew up in Randallstown in the 60's, and 70's like I did you know what was there then that is not there now.

I could ride my bicycle to school, leave it in the bike rack outside the school...UNLOCKED... and never give a thought as to whether it would be there when school let out. Try that today! Same with going to the store, or even the movies. I rode the same bicycle for 8 frome age 8 to 16 years and never owned a bike lock for it.

I also grew up there around the same time. From what I hear about and see on the tube from time to time, it now doesn't seem as safe as it once was.

I also grew up there around the same time. From what I hear about and see on the tube from time to time, it now doesn't seem as safe as it once was.

If you get 1/4 mile away from Liberty Road almost anywhere along there it hasn't changed much.;)

Some of my childhood was spent in Edmondson Heights. We could walk to Charing Cross shopping center or Korvette's without a care in the world. My dad would drop us off at the Edmondson Village Theater for a Saturday movie and pick us up afterward with no worries.

highlantown use to be a great place at one time

Yo me crié en Highlandtown. Solíamos ir al Gran Teatro para ver películas. Jugué béisbol en Patterson Park. Era un lugar muy bonito, cuando yo era un niño. Me pregunto qué pasó allí?

Many parts of Harford County before Middle River, Essex and East Baltimore City moved up there.

Foot of Broadway.

Locust Point

Canton

Locust point is still pretty cool. My Dad, who grew up there when the place was full of Bohunks, Poles, Czechs, Germans and many other European immigrants, always says that he is very proud that it bears no red flags on the City's murder list (maybe one now) . I have been down there on numerous ocassions recently. The yuppies have largely replaced the old schoolers but pretty much all of South Baltimore is a decent place to live. There are always a few bad spots however.

Baltimore County had a lot of great neighborhoods until the MTA moved outside of the city. Once that happened the once great neighborhoods died and became overcome with crime.

DISCLAIMER: :o....and in no way, shape, or form is this directed at any certain group. AS we all know dysfunction comes in all race, religion, and gender. ITS not who lives next door to you, its how they live next door to you :o.....SO lets be clear here:....no particular group gets a pass, or gets the blame for decline of quality of life here.....no way !!......WERE pointing the fingers here where they should be pointed....at our CORRUPT POLITICIANS and GOVERNMENTS :eek: :eek:

DISCLAIMER: ....and in no way, shape, or form is this directed at any certain group. AS we all know dysfunction comes in all race, religion, and gender. ITS not who lives next door to you, its how they live next door to you :o.....SO lets be clear here:....no particular group gets a pass, or gets the blame for decline of quality of life here.....no way !!......WERE pointing the fingers here where they should be pointed....at our CORRUPT POLITICIANS and GOVERNMENTS :eek: :eek:

I've got no problem with Section 8 housing. In fact we should be putting section 8 housing in all our politicians neighborhoods. :D I would imagine Section 8 housing would be immediately done away with and a new "improved" program would be implemented lol

Randallstown took a nosedive into a big pile of shaving cream. I used to go there after school to meet friends from Randallstown High, late '70s. Now I wouldn't go near Randallstown High unless I was carrying and wearing riot gear.

Randallstown took a nosedive into a big pile of shaving cream. I used to go there after school to meet friends from Randallstown High, late '70s. Now I wouldn't go near Randallstown High unless I was carrying and wearing riot gear.

I grew up in Randallstown in the 70's and 80's, and even in the 80's, it was still a nice, middle class town. It's sad now to drive up and down Liberty Road through Randallstown and see what the shopping centers have become, as well as the school which I graduated from in 1988. I'd say within 2 - 3 years of me graduating, Randallstown started taking a turn for the worst. Very sad.

Don't even get me started on Owings Mills Mall - that place was really wonderful when it opened in 1986. Now it's a ghost town - truly a dead mall that should just be torn down. Don't know what to put in its place.

Laurel used to be a nice area when my aunt bought her house there in the early 80's. Now, it is a nightmare.