Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Han Solo

Neighborhoods that used to be nice to live in.

65 posts in this topic

Ah, the Randallstown of my youth!

-Walked or rode bikes everywhere

-Playing outside (unsupervised) all day, until your mother called you home for dinner, and again when it got too dark

-The Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company had an awesome carnival each summer (with an old timey parade!)

-Randallstown Plaza and Liberty Court both had movie theaters.

-Chinese restaurants and Jewish delis up and down Liberty Road

-Gino's was the only fast food place (ok, White Coffee Pot Jr was further up the road)

-Toytown AND Toy Barn

-Randallstown Pharmacy in Mariottsville Plaza had a lunch counter

-Bowling at Fairlanes Liberty

-Riding horses at Rocking "R" ranch

-Tree houses, rope swings, catching frogs, turtles, and crayfish.

and....

Milford Mill Swim Club

The great library

Woodmoor shopping center and the Reads soda fountain

I grew up in Woodmoor. We rode every where up and down Liberty Road, to Woodlawn and when Security Mall opened we rode our bikes there. It was just great. We lived there until we moved in 1978. Dad had died and Mom and I were by ourselves. Burglaries were starting to become so common that mom and I slept with scissors and a billy club in each of our beds (just in case). Our next door neighbor had been broken into and another neighbor was tied up and his daugter raped so we naturally felt we needed to leave. Just so sad to see such a lovely area become so crime ridden.

Randallstown

Owings Mills

Pikesville (getting worse every week)

To name a few.

What a shame.

Parts of Dundalk, Essex, and Catonsville. Now even parts of Harford County. I was in Havre de Grace the other day and saw many people who moved there from the city and trust me these people haven't changed their ways. Now you go into a Waffle House of all places in Havre de Grace and you see thugs in baggy pants and doo rags and silver chains no kidding. Its enough to deal with people from the city moving out, we never vote against the illegal immigrants in the upcoming referendum.

The Red Line will have very negative impact on Woodlawn and Catonsville and probably even Ellicott City. Mark my words.

Baltimore County had a lot of great neighborhoods until the MTA moved outside of the city. Once that happened the once great neighborhoods died and became overcome with crime.

MTA has been providing bus service to Baltimore County since it took over the BTC. :confused:

MTA has been providing bus service to Baltimore County since it took over the BTC. :confused:

The MTA, combined with subsidized housing is the issue.

I think the Flower Drum Inn disappeared a few years after I started visiting there (I had a friend who lived over there - I grew up in Timonium). We'd visit Nino Taco from time to time; it was next to the Flower Drum Inn. That moved to somewhere over by Reisterstown Road a few years ago.

Anybody visit the Olde World Deli when it was sort of next to the 7-11 on that corner? They moved out towards Marriottsville years ago and I don't know if they even still exist. I think some heating oil company was next door to their old location.

I believe there are plans for Owings Mills Mall; I think David S. Brown Co. (the actual David S. Brown died years ago, and from what I hear won't be missed) plans to put in some kind of small shopping complex near the Metro Parking garage. Then they'll raze the mall and build the new thing: a shopping center like Hunt Valley is now. Which is what shopping centers were before they all became malls. Property owners have discovered that it costs less if they don't have to air condition spaces that don't generate revenue, like walkways! :)

BelAir-Edison where I grew up. Highest crime rate in the City now. Sad.

Fathers MIA

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/us/15mortgage.html?pagewanted=all

BALTIMORE — At Vixxen Hair Salon, the main topic of conversation has always been money. But since last August, Anjanette Booker, the owner, has noticed a new focus. “Now it’s money and foreclosures,” Miss Booker said.

The Vixxen salon, along with the nearby salon Hair Vysions, is one of the informal social centers for the Belair-Edison neighborhood, a community of brick row houses that have in recent years been bought largely by single black women with children.

Edited by boink

Regulate, reduce and limit the amount of mass transit in any of these neighborhoods and you will start to see positive changes.

Regulate, reduce and limit the amount of mass transit in any of these neighborhoods and you will start to see positive changes.

So, do you expect me to sit home all day?

That's been studied ad infiniteum and found not to be true. It's a myth like the Lexus shrimp Independence card woman.

That's been studied ad infiniteum and found not to be true. It's a myth like the Lexus shrimp Independence card woman.

Come out from under you rock.

It's the truth. It's an important issue that's why it is studied so intensively. There's nor correlation between mass transit and crime.

My goodness. I hate to admit it but you are right. I have to go there on occasion and it is a mess. The entire neighborhood had dramatically deteriorated both physically and safety~wise.

It's hard to even getting hard to find a home with the window blinds intact for whatever reason when you have to drive through some of those streets . :(

My goodness. I hate to admit it but you are right. I have to go there on occasion and it is a mess. The entire neighborhood had dramatically deteriorated both physically and safety~wise.

It's hard to even getting hard to find a home with the window blinds intact for whatever reason when you have to drive through some of those streets . :(

well, the demographics aren't what they used to be....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/us/15mortgage.html?pagewanted=all

The Vixxen salon, along with the nearby salon Hair Vysions, is one of the informal social centers for the Belair-Edison neighborhood, a community of brick row houses that have in recent years been bought largely by single black women with children.