Photo
- - - - -

Neighborhoods that used to be nice to live in.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

DISCLAIMER: ....and in no way, shape, or form is this directed at any certain group. AS we all know dysfunction comes in all race, religion, and gender. ITS not who lives next door to you, its how they live next door to you :o.....SO lets be clear here:....no particular group gets a pass, or gets the blame for decline of quality of life here.....no way !!......WERE pointing the fingers here where they should be pointed....at our CORRUPT POLITICIANS and GOVERNMENTS :eek: :eek:

I've got no problem with Section 8 housing. In fact we should be putting section 8 housing in all our politicians neighborhoods. :D I would imagine Section 8 housing would be immediately done away with and a new "improved" program would be implemented lol

#22 R686ST

R686ST

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Woodlawn
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, the trouble is that they know so much that isn't so." (Ronald Reagan)

#23 Evil Yoda

Evil Yoda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,375 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

Randallstown took a nosedive into a big pile of shaving cream. I used to go there after school to meet friends from Randallstown High, late '70s. Now I wouldn't go near Randallstown High unless I was carrying and wearing riot gear.
Government ~ Bailouts

"Nature, time, and patience are the three great physicians. Still, it might be time to consult Dr. Feldman about the grapefruit-sized growth hanging from the side of your throat.
"

#24 mdduckman

mdduckman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Randallstown took a nosedive into a big pile of shaving cream. I used to go there after school to meet friends from Randallstown High, late '70s. Now I wouldn't go near Randallstown High unless I was carrying and wearing riot gear.

I grew up in Randallstown in the 70's and 80's, and even in the 80's, it was still a nice, middle class town. It's sad now to drive up and down Liberty Road through Randallstown and see what the shopping centers have become, as well as the school which I graduated from in 1988. I'd say within 2 - 3 years of me graduating, Randallstown started taking a turn for the worst. Very sad.

Don't even get me started on Owings Mills Mall - that place was really wonderful when it opened in 1986. Now it's a ghost town - truly a dead mall that should just be torn down. Don't know what to put in its place.

#25 Dirt1

Dirt1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

Laurel used to be a nice area when my aunt bought her house there in the early 80's. Now, it is a nightmare.
"Money and not morality is the principle of commerce and commercial nations... Justice, honor, faith, must yield to the necessity of keeping themselves in place."- Thomas Jefferson.

In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet, and say to us, "Make us your slaves, but feed us." -The Grand Inquisitor by Dostoevsky

#26 VdubbauVW

VdubbauVW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

highlantown use to be a great place at one time

From what I understand from the ex...Canton at one point was NOT a nice place to live. He was not allowed to skate thru Canton to get to Fells...
Now look...;)
Some parts of Highland town are still very nice, unfortunately the lines blur. Highlandtown from Bank south is generally nice, north...not so much

#27 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

I grew up in Randallstown in the 70's and 80's, and even in the 80's, it was still a nice, middle class town. It's sad now to drive up and down Liberty Road through Randallstown and see what the shopping centers have become, as well as the school which I graduated from in 1988. I'd say within 2 - 3 years of me graduating, Randallstown started taking a turn for the worst. Very sad.

Don't even get me started on Owings Mills Mall - that place was really wonderful when it opened in 1986. Now it's a ghost town - truly a dead mall that should just be torn down. Don't know what to put in its place.

I remember when the school you, and I graduated from was a horse farm, and there were two other horse farms on that same corner.

------------------------------------------

Taxation. Inch by inch, it's a cinch.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

The Democratic party... Blame you can believe in!

dude: you gonna vote?

Me: yeah but not for Obama.

dude: you racist bro?

Me: No, I just dont like Democrats.

dude: Whats a Democrat?

#28 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

Ah, the Randallstown of my youth!

-Walked or rode bikes everywhere
-Playing outside (unsupervised) all day, until your mother called you home for dinner, and again when it got too dark
-The Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company had an awesome carnival each summer (with an old timey parade!)
-Randallstown Plaza and Liberty Court both had movie theaters.
-Chinese restaurants and Jewish delis up and down Liberty Road
-Gino's was the only fast food place (ok, White Coffee Pot Jr was further up the road)
-Toytown AND Toy Barn
-Randallstown Pharmacy in Mariottsville Plaza had a lunch counter
-Bowling at Fairlanes Liberty
-Riding horses at Rocking "R" ranch
-Tree houses, rope swings, catching frogs, turtles, and crayfish.
According to "Ari", anyone who supports Israel believes the following:

"Jews are superior to the rest of us, especially Arabs, and that they're entitled to steal and murder because God is their real estate agent, according to them."

Either put up or shut up... "I'm asking, what makes Jews, Jews?. "

I have no idea what makes a Jew, a Jew, nor do I care.

#29 MooGoo

MooGoo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

Toytown AND Toy Barn?

you guys had it made!

#30 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

Ah, the Randallstown of my youth!

-Walked or rode bikes everywhere
-Playing outside (unsupervised) all day, until your mother called you home for dinner, and again when it got too dark
-The Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company had an awesome carnival each summer (with an old timey parade!)
-Randallstown Plaza and Liberty Court both had movie theaters.
-Chinese restaurants and Jewish delis up and down Liberty Road
-Gino's was the only fast food place (ok, White Coffee Pot Jr was further up the road)
-Toytown AND Toy Barn
-Randallstown Pharmacy in Mariottsville Plaza had a lunch counter
-Bowling at Fairlanes Liberty
-Riding horses at Rocking "R" ranch
-Tree houses, rope swings, catching frogs, turtles, and crayfish.

That was Toytown U.S.A.:P

I was in Randallstown Pharmacy all the time for kites, batteries, model kits, candy bars and the in the summer the ice cream freezer that was just inside the front door to the right opposite the TV tube tester.
Had many a burger at that lunch counter, and I have a question for you.... did you EVER lock up your bike outside when you went in for something? I never did because I considered a bike lock in Randallstown back then a waste of money. Heck... with a bike like being $2.oo, and Hershey bars being a nickle.... well that choice was obvious.

Don't forget the Carvel ice cream store at the other end on the lower level behind George's super Thrift.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#31 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

That was Toytown U.S.A.:P

Remember how they had filled swimming pools on display in there?

I was in Randallstown Pharmacy all the time for kites, batteries, model kits, candy bars and the in the summer the ice cream freezer that was just inside the front door to the right opposite the TV tube tester.
Had many a burger at that lunch counter,

I remember all of that!

Me and my friend would sit in the little booths back near the grill. I loved their fountain cokes. I remember buying my mom some perfume for Mothers' Day from the gift shop area off the left from the entrance.

and I have a question for you.... did you EVER lock up your bike outside when you went in for something? I never did because I considered a bike lock in Randallstown back then a waste of money. Heck... with a bike like being $2.oo, and Hershey bars being a nickle.... well that choice was obvious.

I'm sure I was oblivious to the whole bike lock issue, but I left my bike all over (as did everyone else) and never had a problem.

Don't forget the Carvel ice cream store at the other end on the lower level behind George's super Thrift.

I was regular customer at that Carvels. I remember the guy (older teen) with one arm who worked there for a bit. Can't remember his name though.

I used to go to Liquor Outlet with my dad, and they would give me a lollipop.

Ever get your hair cut at Pete's barber shop?

"Jews are superior to the rest of us, especially Arabs, and that they're entitled to steal and murder because God is their real estate agent, according to them."

#32 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

Remember how they had filled swimming pools on display in there?

I remember all of that!

Me and my friend would sit in the little booths back near the grill. I loved their fountain cokes. I remember buying my mom some perfume for Mothers' Day from the gift shop area off the left from the entrance.

I'm sure I was oblivious to the whole bike lock issue, but I left my bike all over (as did everyone else) and never had a problem.

I was regular customer at that Carvels. I remember the guy (older teen) with one arm who worked there for a bit. Can't remember his name though.

I used to go to Liquor Outlet with my dad, and they would give me a lollipop.

Ever get your hair cut at Pete's barber shop?

I grew my hair from age 14 to 19, and when I finally decided to get it all cut off I walked into Pete's.
There were two guys in there that looked like they were going to fight over who was going to gut my hair.:D

I worked at Randallstown Auto Parts for awhile, and we used to go to Caplan's Deli in Liberty Court for breakfast a few times a week. Awesome food there, unlike at the Sub station next to Randallstown Pharmacy where I got my first serious case of food poisoning.

Edited by NOTAGUNNUT, 28 June 2011 - 06:27 PM.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#33 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

I grew my hair from age 14 to 19, and when I finally decided to get it all cut off I walked into Pete's.
There were two guys in there that looked like they were going to fight over who was going to gut my hair.:D

I worked at Randallstown Auto Parts for awhile, and we used to go to Caplan's Deli in Liberty Court for breakfast a few times a week. Awesome food there, unlike at the Sub station next to Randallstown Pharmacy where I got my first serious case of food poisoning.

Luckily, I never got sick from the Sub Station. I do remember the jukebox in there, and I vaguely remember it had albums in there in addition to the 45s. My family generally got subs and pizza from Maria's in Savoy Plaza. The Greek guys running the place would answer the phone, "Allo, Maria!"

I still miss Caplan's. Good deli food and GREAT fries with gravy.

#34 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

Luckily, I never got sick from the Sub Station. I do remember the jukebox in there, and I vaguely remember it had albums in there in addition to the 45s. My family generally got subs and pizza from Maria's in Savoy Plaza. The Greek guys running the place would answer the phone, "Allo, Maria!"

I still miss Caplan's. Good deli food and GREAT fries with gravy.

I remember that as "Allo, Maria.... cannahelp you.":D

Best shrimp salad I ever got in a pizza/sub joint.:cool:

.... and since you brought up the LRVC carnival..... remember the french fry stand where they trucked in the potatos, peeled them right there, then fresh cut, and fried them while you waited?
Every year they booked an act from the Grand Ol' Opry performing on the stage. The Country Gentlemen made quite a few appearences. My mom swears that Patsy Cline was there one year.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#35 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

I remember that as "Allo, Maria.... cannahelp you.":D

Best shrimp salad I ever got in a pizza/sub joint.:cool:

.... and since you brought up the LRVC carnival..... remember the french fry stand where they trucked in the potatos, peeled them right there, then fresh cut, and fried them while you waited?
Every year they booked an act from the Grand Ol' Opry performing on the stage. The Country Gentlemen made quite a few appearences. My mom swears that Patsy Cline was there one year.

I liked Maria's "New England Style Pizza' with the thick little pepperoni that curled up like a little bowl of grease!

We waited all year for those carnival fries. In the "fry tent" I would watch them put the whole potato in the heavy-duty fry cutter bolted to the table,and KACHUNK- out comes the thick cut slices ready to be fried.

Ever win one of those Pepsi bottles with the long twisted necks and filled with colored water, as a carnival prize?

#36 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

We waited all year for those fries. In the "fry tent" I would watch them put the whole potato in the heavy-duty fry cutter bolted to the table,and KACHUNK- out comes the thick cut slices ready to be fried.

Ever win one of those Pepsi bottles with the long twisted necks and filled with colored water, as a carnival prize?

I had three of them up until just a few years ago. They got broken when we moved into this house.

I do still have a stuffed VW Beetle that Bill Kirk Volkwagen raffled off in a tent they sponsored

I had one of those carnival goldfish for 7 years.

In 1976 they had a bicentennial wheel, where all the prizes were patriotic. I still have a cheese serving tray from that one.

It was amazing to watch how much money people would put on those wheels to win a ham, or watermelon.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#37 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

I had three of them up until just a few years ago. They got broken when we moved into this house.

I do still have a stuffed VW Beetle that Bill Kirk Volkwagen raffled off in a tent they sponsored

I had one of those carnival goldfish for 7 years.

In 1976 they had a bicentennial wheel, where all the prizes were patriotic. I still have a cheese serving tray from that one.

It was amazing to watch how much money people would put on those wheels to win a ham, or watermelon.

My carnival Pepsi bottle broke at least 10 years ago. I remember winning 50 bucks from a peel-off bingo card at the carnival. I think that's the biggest prize I've won in my life.

So many memories...I even remember the Fotomat next to the Amaco station

#38 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

My carnival Pepsi bottle broke at least 10 years ago. I remember winning 50 bucks from a peel-off bingo card at the carnival. I think that's the biggest prize I've won in my life.

So many memories...I even remember the Fotomat next to the Amaco station

In 1963 my mom won the new car in the car tent.
It was a red, and white 1963 Buick LeSabre 4 door hardtop with a 410 engine.

When we had the gas lines in the mid 70s it was great to be buddies with Norwood Griffin. He owned Griff's Arco on the corner of Liberty, and Brenbrook. He told a select few people to come by at midnight on a certain night of the week. with all the lights off in the station, and drums blocking the entances he'd fill us up.

I never won more money with those games than I'd turn right around and spend at the carnival.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#39 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

In 1963 my mom won the new car in the car tent.
It was a red, and white 1963 Buick LeSabre 4 door hardtop with a 410 engine.

When we had the gas lines in the mid 70s it was great to be buddies with Norwood Griffin. He owned Griff's Arco on the corner of Liberty, and Brenbrook. He told a select few people to come by at midnight on a certain night of the week. with all the lights off in the station, and drums blocking the entances he'd fill us up.

I never won more money with those games than I'd turn right around and spend at the carnival.

My parents won our (black and white) TV from George's Superthrift. I guessing it was during the grand opening.

Brenbrook used to have the Imperial Palace, but we usually went to the Flower Drum near Offutt, or the Golden Dragon (I still get their carryout).

#40 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

My parents won our (black and white) TV from George's Superthrift. I guessing it was during the grand opening.

Brenbrook used to have the Imperial Palace, but we usually went to the Flower Drum near Offutt, or the Golden Dragon (I still get their carryout).

George's used to do all sorts of promotions.

When the Flower Drum was built it was originally called The Four Lanterns Inn, with a bar in the basement called The Den of the Wolf.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users